Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

W/out slavery, would the Civil War taken place?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
sureshot3137 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sureshot3137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W/out slavery, would the Civil War taken place?
    Posted: 17-Feb-2010 at 18:05

I am attempting to find instances in history where ideological differences have caused major wars.  I recognize and agree that slavery is reason enough for people to act to stop the sale of human beings.  I am curious, if slavery was not part of the equation, would the civil war eventually have happened anyway?Thank you and I mean no disrespect to anyone because I know this is a sensitive subject.  I, in no way support any form of slavery.Thanks,G Moe

Edited by eaglecap - 13-Mar-2010 at 15:15
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2010 at 18:56
"I am curious, if slavery was not part of the equation, would the civil war eventually have happened anyway?"

By the above, I assume that you refer to the American war of Northern Agression?

If so, then if slavery was not a part of the equation, then the "war" might well have happened in or about, 1929-1939!

But, what do I know? Speculation is speculation!

Regards,

http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sureshot3137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2010 at 20:09
Yes sir, I agree.  I guess what I meant was, were there any other factors that caused the states to secede from the Union other than slavery?  The Confederate States Constitution were the first to mention term limits, I think.  I am not downplaying slavery, I am just wondering what others factors led the delegates of those states to vote to secede; because the vast majority of people could not afford slaves, what was their motivation?

Thanks.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2010 at 07:45
Originally posted by sureshot3137

I am curious, if slavery was not part of the equation, would the civil war eventually have happened anyway?

I doubt it. Though the U.S. civil war had many causes, slavery was a huge issue.  Two things really illustrate this:

- The fighting in Kansas and Missouri prior to the Civil War was not fought over term limits, but whether Kansas would be a slave state or not.

- Southeren areas where slavery was rare or non existant were reluctant to fight for the Confederacy. The biggest example is West Virginia. Other examples include Appalachian areas of North Carolina, Tennessee, and the Arkansas Ozarks. All of these areas had pro Union Guerilla groups and had large numbers of men refusing conscription etc.

Even Lousianna showed noticably less enthusiasm in parishes where slavery was rare. An English speaking parish briefly seceeded from the Confederacy and those French speaking Parishes with few slaves essentialy sat the war out.  
Originally posted by sureshot3137

I am just wondering what others factors led the delegates of those states to vote to secede; because the vast majority of people could not afford slaves, what was their motivation?
For North Carolina, it was a sense of regional loyalty and cultural ties. They were the last state to leave the Union. Ironically, once they left, they provided more soldiers per capita than any other Confederate state.

Regional loyalty and cultural ties also played a role in southeren Indiana and Illinois.  Poor "butter nut" areas in these states were generally pro confederate, even if slavery was already illegal and few residents could have afforded slaves anyways.

Edited by Cryptic - 18-Feb-2010 at 09:08
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2010 at 13:47

Slavery was the main issue that caused the Civil War. There is no evidence that any other factor played a significant role in starting the War. It was solely a matter of pro-Slavery vs. anti-Slavery.With regards for why non slave holding southerners supported the war, this was because there was a heavily entrenched ideology of white superiority over blacks. This ideal gave even the poorest and lowest person in the white social hierarchy a sense of privilege and pride, in that they were above the black man.Many whites supported the richer, and far far fewer slave holders because, pure and simple, they were racists.

Edited by eaglecap - 13-Mar-2010 at 15:16
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2010 at 17:48
Dear TGS,

Many thanks for your un-considered remarks! You wrote above;

"Many whites supported the richer, and far far fewer slave holders because, pure and simple, they were racists."

Just how do you know the inner feeling of persons long dead? Are you able to read their minds?
But it is a fact that most of the leaders of those times in politics and religion did have an elitist attitude towards Africa and Africans in general. To have these leaders promote the sub-human nature of Africans made it easier to stomach the slavery of them in general.

You answer was simple.

But, you still might well be correct?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 20-Feb-2010 at 03:36
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 12:22
Its called research. Read Mcpherson's book on the Civil War, he is regarded as the most reputable Civil War scholar in the world. 
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 15:13
Perhaps that is my failure? I have always leaned towards another scholar of the War Between the States, that of a man that I knew, his name was Shelby Foote;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/28/AR2005062800723.html

But, he is not your "cup of tea", I would expect?

By the way TGS, you would not have had any ancestors who actually fought in this great struggle would you?

Since I have numerous ancestors who did, and whose histories I have persued, then maybe, just maybe, I might have more "real" intuitive reason to make my opinion than you might?

So, you would state that McPherson is really the one who made the following statement;

"Many whites supported the richer, and far far fewer slave holders because, pure and simple, they were racists."

You have the source(s), not me!

I don't really think that Mr. Foote would agree!

My best regards to you, as always!

Oh! I almost forgot!
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0h&oq=shelby+foo&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS315US315&q=shelby+foote+civil+war

Edited by opuslola - 20-Feb-2010 at 15:15
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 15:38
Well Opuslola, most serious historians and those interested in history, dont just make up history to suite their own beliefs, they do research and use reliable sources and so on. McPherson is considered the top Civil War historian in the world, he has read tens of thousands of letters and diaries, speeches and newspaper articles, etc... from that time period, and thats why he knows what hes talking about.

Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era is a Pulitzer Prize-winning history of the American Civil War published in 1988 by James M. McPherson.[1] Writing for the The New York Times, historian Hugh Brogan described it as "...the best one-volume treatment of its subject I have ever come across. It may actually be the best ever published."[2] Battle Cry of Freedom is volume six in the Oxford History of the United States.

Frankly, I dont care what you think the truth is (because you're wrong), I'm simply trying to answer the question based on whats factually correct.

Whether you want to believe it or not, The South back then was not only founded on racism, but reliant on it, for its culture, religion, and society to function.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 20-Feb-2010 at 15:41
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 17:45
TGS wrote the following;

"Well Opuslola, most serious historians and those interested in history, dont just make up history to suite their own beliefs, they do research and use reliable sources and so on."

But, Great Simba, I do believe the above! Suiting one's on beliefs is "part and parcel" of any historian's work!

There exists such a range of positions across the board in real history discussions, that you cannot believe! Unfortunately a lot of these really deep discussions occur on sites like "JSTOR!", where, unless you have access to a collegiate library, you must "Pay to View!"

So, since I cannot afford such access, I am denied the most current and the most admired views! How about you?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 10-Mar-2010 at 18:51
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2010 at 13:01
Originally posted by opuslola

But, Great Simba, I do believe the above! Suiting one's on beliefs is "part and parcel" of any historian's work!

No, a good historian is objective. See, this is where you are wrong, impartiality is what separates a good historian from a bad one.

Whether YOU think racism existed in the South or not, it wont change any of the FACTS.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 21-Feb-2010 at 13:02
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2010 at 14:36
Dear TGS,

I do not deny that "Racism" existed in the South in 1800, 1850, 1900, 1950, 2000 CE, etc.

In fact "racism" exists "everywhere!", even today! Even at Harvard, and Yale, and in the halls of education arround the world! Some of them even hate theirselves / themselves!, etc.

Please find me anyone, who is "impartial?" I certainly don't know any such!, that is unless they are in a coma!

You are certainly not impartial, nor am I! Heck, try to find an "impartial" newman or woman! They don't really exist, it is much like finding an impartial RC Priest, or a impartial Rabbi, or Iman!

Hey! They don't exist!

Jesus reportedly said "turn the other cheek" when you are struck, but it seems he went wild when throwing the "money-changers" out of the Temple! Was he "impartial?"

Find me an "impartial" historian who writes a glowing history of Adolph Hitler, and I will state with forcefulness, that he or she will be called a "racist", a "fascist", and a "baby killer", etc.!

No, most people with a modicum of intelligence and some education, almost always have a set of opinions! And for most,these are opinions which they will mostly believe for the rest of their lives! Anyone who might claim that they are "impartial" can well be classified as "idiots!"

Just think of a world of people who were always "impartial"? Just ask them any question? What would a totally "impartial" person have to answer? Would he or she say; "I feel nothing in either direction!" Ask them; "Would you rather be roasted slowly to death, or given a lethal injection?" A "impartial" person whould have to answer "I don't care, I have no opinion about that! I'll happily go with what ever you feel is correct!" Laugh!

So, please find me an "Impartial" historian? Please?

Or do you even have an opinion about it? chuckle!

And please do not bore us with "facts!"

Regards,

Of course there supposedly exists that great crowd of people who are supposedly "middle of the roaders" in politics, but in my not too humble opinion, they are mostly "ignorant!", much like the Proverbable sheep! Or as the word is commonly used "sheeple!"

Regards, (I think? or maybe I should say; What-ever!)

By the way, there should be some facts involved in this discourse! So;
"Ads by GoogleMortgage refinancing 4.125%
Apply For Goverment Mortgage Refinance. 4.34% APR
www.FHA.com/Refinance
Refinance Now 4.25% FIXED
No Hidden Fees - 4.5% APR! Get 4 Free Quotes. No SSN reqd.
MortgageRefinance.LendGo.com
Current Mortgage Rates
Mortgage Rates Hit 46 Month Lows! See Rates - No Credit Check Needed.
www.CompareInterestRates.com
im·par·tial (m-pärshl)
adj.
Not partial or biased; unprejudiced. See Synonyms at fair1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

impar·ti·ali·ty (-sh-l-t), im·partial·ness n.
im·partial·ly adv.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
impartial [ɪmˈpɑːʃəl]
adj
not prejudiced towards or against any particular side or party; fair; unbiased
impartiality , impartialness n
impartially adv
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 6th Edition 2003. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj. 1. impartial - showing lack of favoritism; "the cold neutrality of an impartial judge"
fair, just - free from favoritism or self-interest or bias or deception; conforming with established standards or rules; "a fair referee"; "fair deal"; "on a fair footing"; "a fair fight"; "by fair means or foul"
partial - showing favoritism
2. impartial - free from undue bias or preconceived opinions; "an unprejudiced appraisal of the pros and cons"; "the impartial eye of a scientist"
unprejudiced
receptive, open - ready or willing to receive favorably; "receptive to the proposals"

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

impartial
adjective neutral, objective, detached, just, fair, equal, open-minded, equitable, disinterested, unbiased, even-handed, nonpartisan, unprejudiced, without fear or favour, nondiscriminating They offer impartial advice, guidance and information to students.
unfair, prejudiced, biased, partial, influenced, swayed, unjust, bigoted
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002"

Therefore, "Justice" that lady with the scales, is considered as 'impartial', and every jurist is also supposed to leave their 'partialitiy', out of the courtroom!

Nah!

Edited by opuslola - 21-Feb-2010 at 19:15
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sureshot3137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2010 at 16:11
Thanks yall.  Cryptic, that was a good point you made about regional loyalty and cultural ties; which allowed for strong support of the Confederacy even though the vast majority could not afford slaves.  It seems so obvious now.
Deano97 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Deano97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2010 at 17:48
Slavery was just one of the many rights in question for the states that led to the civil war.Without it there prolly wouldnt have been a war.But the same fights in the Senate and House would of surely happened.
I fart in your general direction!Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of Elderberries!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2010 at 18:49
Speaking of the house and senate, just when can the U. of Memphis expect the U. of Ark., to field another good basketball team?
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2010 at 15:09
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

Its called research. Read Mcpherson's book on the Civil War, he is regarded as the most reputable Civil War scholar in the world. 

One book - Along with my text books and the research for my paper I must have read at least 10-11 books on this topic. I think McPherson was one of them but that was in 2001. Take a class on this subject and then I will respect you. Then again My brother in law has read god knows how books- you should see his collection. Dr Conlin was the only one more fanatical about this period in history, my Instructor.

Edited by eaglecap - 13-Mar-2010 at 16:25
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2010 at 15:16
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

Slavery was the main issue that caused the Civil War. There is no evidence that any other factor played a significant role in starting the War. It was solely a matter of pro-Slavery vs. anti-Slavery.With regards for why non slave holding southerners supported the war, this was because there was a heavily entrenched ideology of white superiority over blacks. This ideal gave even the poorest and lowest person in the white social hierarchy a sense of privilege and pride, in that they were above the black man.Many whites supported the richer, and far far fewer slave holders because, pure and simple, they were racists.

TGS- Sorry this is an over generalization. I took a graduate level class about the cause of the American Civil War or the War between the states and while it had a large influence, State rights was the major issue. You need to take a course about the Civl War before you make such assumptions but you are entitled to an opinion. Most Americans did not own slaves but I agree there was a sad attitude of superiority and a social hiearchy. Still, this was not the major cause of war and no matter it still would have happened. Slavery was dying out and it was only a matter of time before it would have ended. I need to find my old paper and post it here then I can show you all my cited sources. I gave all my text books to my brother-in-law who loves Civil War history and has hundreds of books on this topic. I prefer Roman/Greek history myself.

It is numbered but I will have to find my citings

The South had always felt threatened by the economic advantage that the Northern cities had over them and the tariffs that were designed to shelter the industrial north and inadvertly hurt the, slave based, southern agrarian economy. Slavery was a major issue, but the loss of rights was the most prominent cause of anti union feelings. The South had wanted more control of their economy and their right to take their property into the new territories.. Potter states, �Southerners were almost wholly united in their purpose to maintain southern rights.�6 They believed that to lose this right would destroy their cultural values and equal freedom as United States citizens.

Edited by eaglecap - 13-Mar-2010 at 16:24
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2010 at 16:13
Dittos!

I could not have said it better! But, TGS, a close reading of my posts will show you that in some ways, I already "said it!"

What most of you do not really understand is the fact that a great deal of the biggest "slave owners" in the South, were in fact "from the North!" Even today some of the most reverred Sotherners were, in fact, born Yankees!

But, do not trouble yourself with "facts!"
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2010 at 13:20
Originally posted by eaglecap

One book - Along with my text books and the research for my paper I must have read at least 10-11 books on this topic. I think McPherson was one of them but that was in 2001. Take a class on this subject and then I will respect you.

I have... I've taken a class by a professional Civil War historian and professor, who'd you take your class with?

TGS- Sorry this is an over generalization. I took a graduate level class about the cause of the American Civil War or the War between the states and while it had a large influence, State rights was the major issue.

States rights with regards to the SLAVERY issue....and the admittance of new SLAVE states. Did you ever pay attention in class?

You need to take a course about the Civl War before you make such assumptions but you are entitled to an opinion.

I have, and its not "my" opinion...its fact.

Most Americans did not own slaves but I agree there was a sad attitude of superiority and a social hiearchy. Still, this was not the major cause of war and no matter it still would have happened.

Really? Without slavery the Civil War would still have happened? HOW AND BASED ON WHAT? LOL Funny eaglecap, are we gonna repeat the same cycle we did as in the other thread? You know, the one where you dont post sources, and when you do they contradict your position...

Slavery was dying out and it was only a matter of time before it would have ended. I need to find my old paper and post it here then I can show you all my cited sources.

Slavery was dying out...IN THE NORTH. In the South, it was still going strong, with several million of the South's 9 million people being slaves... Infact, the South wanted to EXPAND slavery. Slavery was died out in the North, but it was going strong as ever in the South.

The South had always felt threatened by the economic advantage that the Northern cities had over them and the tariffs that were designed to shelter the industrial north and inadvertly hurt the, slave based, southern agrarian economy. Slavery was a major issue, but the loss of rights was the most prominent cause of anti union feelings. The South had wanted more control of their economy and their right to take their property into the new territories.. Potter states, �Southerners were almost wholly united in their purpose to maintain southern rights.�6 They believed that to lose this right would destroy their cultural values and equal freedom as United States citizens.

Yes, you are right, but the South was fighting for the "right" to maintain SLAVERY and SLAVES as property. This is what you do not understand. SLAVERY WAS THE CORE OF THE SOUTH, ITS ECONOMY, ITS CULTURE, AND ITS POLITICS.

You are confusing yourself my friend. Everything you mentioned above HAS TO DO WITH SLAVERY.

Therefore, SLAVERY WAS THE CAUSE OF THE CIVIL WAR...

Between our previous discussion and this one... I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

@Opuslola, I've stopped reading your "posts" a long time ago... actually, thats not true, I give some of them a quick read for a quick laugh.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 14-Mar-2010 at 13:27
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2010 at 19:15
TGS most politely wrote the following;
"@Opuslola, I've stopped reading your "posts" a long time ago... actually, thats not true, I give some of them a quick read for a quick laugh."

Well, from an expert in American Civil War history, that is high praise indeed! Thanks so much!

I will continue, on occasion, to provide you with small tid-bits of humor! Since, you seem to like it!

I am almost sure that "eaglecap" will also entertain you as well!

My regards as always,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>