Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Former communists education system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Iankutanku View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iankutanku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Former communists education system
    Posted: 15-Jan-2010 at 08:59
In Romania it was a little bit different, because we weren't part of Soviet union. In my oppinion, the system was more performant than today, but the causes have almost nothing in common with the communism itself, but with colateral causes. For the humanist sciences, for example, the main cause is the children were much more preocupied in lecture, because they lack many of nowdays facilities: no internet, no computer games, no movies, no attractive television...On the other hand, the few who are really pasionated, have much many posibilities to improve their knowledges. In exact sciences, the situation is more balanced toward the comunist system: almost 90% from future professions were conditioned by managing with exact sciences.
Gold88 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Gold88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2010 at 07:16
In Latvia a former Soviet Republic this opinion is shared. Scholars complain that modern education is not good as the old. I never faced any soviet education because I was born in 1988. and started school when Soviet Union already collapsed. So I don't really know if old education was better. I think it was far more stricter and compulsory. Today school students can learn more freely and therefore don't learn many vital things because they don't pay enough attention.  In history many students study history reluctantly many don't learn simply facts like what happened in 11. November 1919. what should be learned in Latvia (it was Latvian victory over German-Russian army of Bermont in the Battle of Riga). That is because they learn the facts for exam and then forget it afterwards. Same thing happens in other sciences like in maths. Government is outraged that most students choose higher education in jurisdiction and economy rather than exact fields and now has made math exam compulsory. A another flaw that Soviet education forced to learn Russian and German. Now Russian and German is optional language and English is compulsory, therefore there a Latvians who don't now Russian because they choose German and otherwise. Both languages is important here- we got 30% Russians in Latvia, and German is important for historians since all Latvian history sources until 19. century is mostly in German. But Soviet system flawed the unimportance of English so large quantity of old generation don't know simple English (even our government MP's have trouble speaking with foreign officials). Soviet system also made possible for Russians to not learn Latvian since Russian was official language in Soviet Union. So now we have a large amount of Russians who don't understand Latvian or simply refuse to speak it. And if they are enforced to learn Latvian they complain that they are discriminated.

What I believe Soviet education system was at its best was military education for all. Everyone was thought how to handle weapons and react in the event of emergency. I am one of few students in my school who had a shooting class because I was at the police class but others don't. When in University a Civil Security course was held it was nightmare for many because it was badly organized and I do not think that anyone learned something about Civil protection in the result.              
Iankutanku View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Iankutanku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2010 at 03:44
In Romania, I guess the general oppinion is that the former communists education system was better than the actual one. What's your oppinion about, and/or about your ventual former communists country education system?
 Post Reply Post Reply