Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Minoans in Germany

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Minoans in Germany
    Posted: 21-May-2009 at 10:00
There 're some excavations in Germany that seem to reveal contact of the Minoans with Frisia. I can't understand 100% the text. If someone could make a summary i would be grateful!

I think it says somewhere there could be up to 4000 people in a city numbering 10000!

http://www.geo.de/GEO/import_nicht_zugeordnet/4669.html

Btw, I posted once 2 items of Linear script from Germany on the forum, where one of them seemed to carry the word zakaru (sugar?).

http://allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=26351

Edited by Flipper - 21-May-2009 at 10:01

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 10:23

The article talks about Hans Peter Duerr (Culture Historian) who 11 years ago started searching for a certain settlement, Rungholt, mentioned in legends.
He has found that the settlement was destroyed by a flood in 1362, and he presented an even more provocative thesis
He claims to be able to prove that the people living at the coast of the Northsee (Friiesland) had direct trade-relations with the cultures from the Mediterranean area, 3000 years ago.

Rungholt was not a city strictly speaking, but in the trade-season, there could be up to 4,000 people gathered there, and to compare that number, Hamburg had 10,000 citizens at that time.

Maybe Temujin will do a more thorough extraction if needed.

fantasus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote fantasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 13:52
Originally posted by Northman

The article talks about Hans Peter Duerr (Culture Historian) who 11 years ago started searching for a certain settlement, Rungholt, mentioned in legends.
He has found that the settlement was destroyed by a flood in 1362, and he presented an even more provocative thesis
He claims to be able to prove that the people living at the coast of the Northsee (Friiesland) had direct trade-relations with the cultures from the Mediterranean area, 3000 years ago.

Rungholt was not a city strictly speaking, but in the trade-season, there could be up to 4,000 people gathered there, and to compare that number, Hamburg had 10,000 citizens at that time.

Maybe Temujin will do a more thorough extraction if needed.

"That time" must be 1362, not 3000 years ago since "Hamburg" did not exist 3000 years ago.
Barbapapa View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Barbapapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 04:13
the part about the minoan stuff is....

In deeper layers, they found that at the very same place had been settlements already.
the place that was destroid 1366 was found 1200 but the deeper layers prove, there had been a settlement at 500BC

In an  even deeper layer they found ceramics from the eastern mediteranian and middle east, dating back to 1400BC.
Thats the revolutionary found. Proving Minoans had been at the German north sea coast at 1400BC for whatever reasons.

Edited by Barbapapa - 30-May-2009 at 04:15
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 04:35
 I can see how the  minoans could have migrated all over the old world :)
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2009 at 10:47
Generally i'm skeptic about Greeks, Phoenicians, Romans, Egyptians etc may have discovered America, Hawaii, the moon...

However, if there's a good basis for it and they have more than just some objects that look Greek, Roman etc, i'm pretty willing to know the story :)

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2009 at 14:03
Originally posted by Flipper

There 're some excavations in Germany that seem to reveal contact of the Minoans with Frisia. I can't understand 100% the text. If someone could make a summary i would be grateful!

I think it says somewhere there could be up to 4000 people in a city numbering 10000!

http://www.geo.de/GEO/import_nicht_zugeordnet/4669.html

Btw, I posted once 2 items of Linear script from Germany on the forum, where one of them seemed to carry the word zakaru (sugar?).

http://allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=26351

I can believe this. I remember reading an article in National Geographic about this ancient guy maybe 5,000 years ago from modern day Switzerland that traveled all the way to Britain. I guess these findings sort of put a damper on the "pure racial" theories, since many ancient peoples traveled around the world and settled in different areas.

Post Reply Post Reply