Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your worst Total war defeat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your worst Total war defeat
    Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 15:23
Sometimes in Total war you get defeated, what was your worst defeat, same reasons as victory and same games. How did it effect your overall status as world power military wise.

My worst defeat was in Medeival 2 total war playing as the Byzantines when decided to go toe to toe with the Timurids. Being a bit cocky I sent 3 full armies roughly 4,000 men to fight a similar sized Timurid army. I was trying to halt their advance into Asia Minor, what I sould have done was garrison them. In the beginning I was doing ok in bombarding his cavalry to death but it was when I ordered a general advance it hit the fan. I didn't know how bad the elephants were, let's just say my entyire army was routed and opened the door to Constantinople. I lost like 95% of my army I killed 20% of his; it was horrible defeat.

Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 18:41

One time when I was the Danes I sent three units of Huscarls and a few units of spearmen against a full strength Holy Roman army, with the works of armoured seargents, knights etc. I had no strategy other than simply frontal assualt and hoping that our valour would win the day... By the time our meagre army reached the lines their crossbowmen and catapaults destroyed most of us (Maybe half) and by the time we clashed we fought for a couple of minutes before fleeing. We called 7 men, our army was squashed...

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 20:18
Well, despite I posted one defeat to the other topic... I remember how I once tried to keep out the English (played the M2TW: Kingdoms) Army faction, I think and I had reduced them to one castle, and I sent three stacks against it... and I didn't check their numbers, which I should have done.

In the end, I had lost three Generals and a King, with all of the units I sent along. They went to a counteroffensive.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 21:27
Playing Viking Expansion Set for Total War I. Playing Irish I was attacked by one Viking huscarl. I had three armoured spear units. I hit it from 3 sides simultaneously. It killed every man in all three units and took the province.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 23:05
Haha Parnell I know how you feel. I occasionally just send all my forces in on a frontal assault hoping that their charge and numbers will win the day. Oh how I am wrong sometimes. A rather embarrassing defeat of mine was when I had taken out a good deal of the enemy with my Pharoah's Bowmen, leaving them with a mangled onager (I believe) unit and another infantry unit. The onager took one strike and hit my general, out of all my army. He died, and my army routed. What the...
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 14:26
The Platypus wasn't with you, Alex. Nothing bad in admitting that.
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:26
I was playing Rome Total War and I was the Brutii and I was fighting the Senate and I was winning the battle until the Senate got reinforcements. I didn't know that there was delayed reinforcements in the game(and it happens but very rare I guess). The Senate now had two armies, and I was suck w/ a few units. I was winning the battle before the new amry crossed on the battlefield and the new army was at full strength. Me General was very skilled so I retreated into the woods and lost the battle. I got me revenge eventually. I sack Roma for such ignorance. Tongue
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 07:23
I had about 1,500 quality spearmen garrisoned in a fort, in eastern anatolia blocking the Mongols from getting out of Armenia. I was attacked by about 800 odd strong mongol army. I piled everyone up against the gate, I figured that a cavalry rich army would have real problems pushing through a narrow gate full of spearmen.
Boy was I wrong! They broke down the gate and then sliced straight through my spearmen. The carnage was amazing. I lost all of my spearmen, and killed hardly any mongols.

I never again engaged a mongol army without a significant contingent of Jannisaries. Incidentally I did manage to keep the mongols contained to Armenia, but it required so many troops my western expansion ground to a halt (leaving me with just a handful of troops free, which I used to conquer all of Russia and N. Africa )

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 19-Feb-2009 at 07:26
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 14:57
yea the Byzantine spearmen (if that's what u are reffering to) are a joke, It almost isn't fair because they really don't have any other good unit to fight cavalry with.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 01:31
Was that in MII or a mod Omar?

I have had bad experiences with spearmen, too. Luckily most of the time I have a few cavalry units that attack. Usually having 2/3 spearman ranks in a guard mode at the center of the gate and 2/3 in regular attack stance centered around will contain the fighting in a relatively well defended U formation and after minutes of fighting I can move my swordsmen from the walls and concentrate all effort at the gate. Altough that hasn't always worked.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 02:24
On Rome there were some pretty appalling losses.  I get frustrated when my units don't do what I tell them.  (read:  cavalry)  Thankfully I've blocked them all out and cannot recall any specific episodes.Wink
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 07:42
When you get your ass kicked by a gigantic army of peasants, then youve been defeated.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
 Post Reply Post Reply