Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why turks didn’t leave many signs of their culture in Greece?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why turks didn’t leave many signs of their culture in Greece?
    Posted: 16-May-2005 at 18:57
QUOTE=Kenaney]Zeibekko or Zeibekka or in Turkish Zeybek, we play that in our village in Turkey in every mariage of somebody[/QUOTE]

Sorry but the fact that you dance it means nothing.

Zeümbekikos.. Many believe that this word is of  Anatolian or Turkish origin. This is not true: it is a compound word formed by the joining of "Zeü" and "mbékos." The prefix "Zeü" is none other than the name of the god (Zeus). According to Herodotus, the Phrygian word for bread was "vekos," or "mbekos." The Greek root of that word is found today (in the Arvanitiko dialect of our language) in words such as "mboukia," "mbouk" (= bread); the German "backen (= bake); and the English "baker.

The first compound, "Zeü" = Zeus, is symbolic of the god as "spirit," whereas "mbekos" = bread symbolizes the body. It is also useful to remember that the rhythmic measure 9/8ths (3/4 + 3/8) became popular after the famous contest between Apollo and Marsyas, and was said to represent a blending of "Doric" and "Phrygian" harmonyWe encounter the word "Zeümbekos" as well in the name of a mountain in the northern part of Arcadia. Near this mountain, at the river Lousion, Zeus was said to have been baptized and initiated into the chthonic rites of the region.

The popularity of today's "pyrrhic" 9/8ths rhythm in the Zeümbekikos dance can be attributed to the fact that, as a dance which is symbolic and religious, it serves to give pleasure and comfort to the body as well as the soul. The dancer moves his arms and shoulders as if they were wings; as if he desires to fly. He strikes the ground with his feet as if trying to leave the earth and ascend heavenward, suspended between time and space. He looks at the ground so as not to lose his bearings; he touches "Mother Earth" with his knees, with his body, and with his hands -- like another Antaeus -- in order to draw in her power. Her spirit fills him with confidence as he absorbs the geomagnetic rays of  the "Mother of us all": Gaea!

And "tsifteteli" is iftetelli and is Turkish dans too, oh comon man if that whas arabic or Egyptian, then they would dance like us (two arms straight up, etc )

This is a very informative site that clears what every "culture" from ancient times to modern has contributed to "belly-dancing/Oriental/tsifteteli" or however it may be named depending on the area you come from.

http://www.bdancer.com/history/
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 15:13
Originally posted by Odysseas

There is no doubt that the Ottoman empire was a great
one and not just a slaughter for conquest. A question
that raised quite naturally to me is, why the period of
Turkish domination over the peninsula, which lasted
more than 400 years, is considered a static and
retrograded period? I mean, with a new conquest there
is a positive impact to the economy and the peninsula
was (is) as strategic point of military and trading
advantage. Why there are no ruins (except very few
temples) or cultural evidence of an empire? To be more
precise, take Sicily for example. There are evidence of
greek culture all over the island plus the very
beautiful city of Palermo is a jewel of Arab dominance
(831 DC) . I am not saying that there was no cultural
mixing and maybe there were big monuments that I ignore
or worse have been destroyed. I am open to any
correction or help , this is my first post here so
please be comprehensive.

because they were all destroyed and the populace deported

Go to Bosnia and you will see a vivid display of Ottoman civilization
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 15:17
Originally posted by Kenaney

"Why turks didnt leave many signs of their culture in Greece?"

Bcuz most of them whas been bommed, destroyed after Ottoman empire had lost the war.

Do you wanna know a Turkish sign in youre culture? Listin to a local greek radio and if you can to a Turkish one. The melodys of the music are the same but language ofcourse differs.

Wanna know another sign?

Food:

Tsorbas = orba

Burek = brek

sarma = sarma

and i saw on TV even kebab lol

those are all Turkish signs in youre culture and country.

dont forget baklava

there are many arabic and middle eastern foods that greeks claim for themselves

I'm Bosnian and I take pride in my Ottoman past,  just like my turkish cousins here.
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 12:28

Nine tenths f Turkish mmonuments in the Balkans including Greece have been destroyed. What remained of Turkish culture are Music,food e.g greek coffee,Souflaki=shish Kebab,dolmadis= Dolma or stuffed vegetables,vine leaves= yalangi dolma,Ouzo=Raki,and so on.The list is too long to write down. I forgot baclava and halva.

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 13:16
However, as Yiannis said, a great percentage of these Ottoman landmarks were systematicially destroyed by the Greeks, Serbs, Bulgarians, etc as to erase the marks of centuries of Ottoman rule.

This is a problem in the Balkans even today. For places like Kosovo where there is much more Serb HISTORY then population, the Kosovar feel threatened by it and thus move to destroy it. Ever last Ser Orthdox church, monistary etc... In one interesting occasion there were two churches one was a orthodox one and one was a catholic one, the Kosovar went about decimating the orthodox serb one but the catholic one was left absolutely untouched. This goes for Serbs also, the destruction of mosques in places of Bosnia and Kosovo gives a clue as to their intenetions. To destroy any eastern legacy in an area they want to control...Well not just eastern, more like enemy legacy would be more fitting.

Interesting about the bread part. "Bouk" is how it is said in Alb... I dont get it Phallanx, how can you say...Arvanitic is a Greek dialect when nearly all studies make it clear that it is a dilect derived from Tosk Albanian... Can you understand Arvanitik? I sure can... It may be a little difficult due to the Greek influence over the years but when it comes to reading their stuff, I can fine...(Note there are links within the words but they may be hard to see)

BTw phallanx, Great copy and paste.

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 14:19
Originally posted by Moustafa Pasha

Nine tenths f Turkish mmonuments in the Balkans including Greece have been destroyed.

Well, there weren't many Ottoman monuments that stood the course of time in Greece. The minor ones that existed were of course destroyed, since there weren't any Ottomans around to support them. There wasn't much attention to foreign cultural heritage in the early 19th century. Plus there weren't  any palaces or great mosques.  Can you think of one?

Other structures, like forts or significant mosques, were preserved.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 18:37

I'm Bosnian and I take pride in my Ottoman past,  just like my turkish cousins here.

At least some sensible people are still left there. I am glad to meet someone who can realize that Ottoman Empire belonged to them as much as it belonged to Turks. Welcome bro...

Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 23:15
Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

However, as Yiannis said, a great percentage of these Ottoman landmarks were systematicially destroyed by the Greeks, Serbs, Bulgarians, etc as to erase the marks of centuries of Ottoman rule.

This is a problem in the Balkans even today. For places like Kosovo where there is much more Serb HISTORY then population, the Kosovar feel threatened by it and thus move to destroy it. Ever last Ser Orthdox church, monistary etc... In one interesting occasion there were two churches one was a orthodox one and one was a catholic one, the Kosovar went about decimating the orthodox serb one but the catholic one was left absolutely untouched. This goes for Serbs also, the destruction of mosques in places of Bosnia and Kosovo gives a clue as to their intenetions. To destroy any eastern legacy in an area they want to control...Well not just eastern, more like enemy legacy would be more fitting.

Interesting about the bread part. "Bouk" is how it is said in Alb... I dont get it Phallanx, how can you say...Arvanitic is a Greek dialect when nearly all studies make it clear that it is a dilect derived from Tosk Albanian... Can you understand Arvanitik? I sure can... It may be a little difficult due to the Greek influence over the years but when it comes to reading their stuff, I can fine...(Note there are links within the words but they may be hard to see)

BTw phallanx, Great copy and paste.

the serbs started provoking the Kosovoar first.   It was Milosevic's sick ideas of serb nationalism that got thousands killed in Kosovo.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 23:18
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

At least some sensible people are still left there. I am glad to meet someone who can realize that Ottoman Empire belonged to them as much as it belonged to Turks. Welcome bro...

Yes most people dont realize that there was no such thing as Turkishness or Bosnianess , you were a Osman citizen first and then a Turk or Bosnian.  But a lot Balkan countries go to extremes to cover up their Ottoman past when in fact they welcomed the Ottomans more than the Byzantines.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 07:12

The minor ones that existed were of course destroyed, since there weren't any Ottomans around to support them

In fact there were before massacred, Thesellanoiki (Selnik) was an important Ottoman city which had a dominant population of Turkish speakers. After the Balkan Wars, most of the Turks of western Thrace and Thesellanoiki were massacred and part of the survivors came back to their motherlands. The other survivors still exist in western Thrace, but Greek government prefers to call them Muslim Greek instead of Turks.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 08:52

In fact there were before massacred, Thesellanoiki (Selnik) was an important Ottoman city which had a dominant population of Turkish speakers.

The only thing that got "massacred", is your intelligence as well as your sense of reason!

The other survivors still exist in western Thrace

Actually, they live and prosper in peace and harmony. Which is waaaaaayyyyyyy more than what can be said for the Greeks of Istanbul, Imbros & Tenedos which were eliminated and forced to leave.

Aren't you bored of trying to post moronic posts against Greece? What do you do in your spare time, try to find topics where you can squeeze your BS?

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 09:22

Yiannis, are you claming there  were not killing  after Balkain war?

Why do you think, Turks just  left their land at balkain war?

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 09:28
And there we go aaagaiiiinnnnnn.........................
CARRY NOTHING
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 09:40
Originally posted by Murtaza

Yiannis, are you claming there  were not killing  after Balkain war?

Why do you think, Turks just  left their land at balkain war?

Claiming? I'm not claiming anything, I'm just saying that I'm tired of stupid people, who have as their sole purpose in life, to promote nationalist propaganda without ever providing any kind of evidence or even clue, apart for their sick fantasy!

Was that worded strongly enough?

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 10:21
Yup, strongly enough, my monitor just jumped from its place and landed on my ashtray.
CARRY NOTHING
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 10:26

Well,  I will accept elders word.(Even They are greek,Menippos I hope you are  elder) Yes It is enough.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 10:40
Originally posted by Murtaza

Well,  I will accept elders word.

Elders!!!  I think I hate you Murtaza, I'm merelly 37

J/K

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 11:35
Well, in my 35 yrs of age I have been called old man, granpa, ancient ruin, etc (especially in the army). So "elder" is quite elegant, compared to these. I'll accept it.
CARRY NOTHING
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 14:37

ANd most bosnians are muslim, so they could be considered "muslim brothers", AND Ottoman Empire was a Islamic based Empire.. Of course he will feel it was more his than non muslim Greeks, Bulgarians, and Serbians..

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 14:43

Aren't you bored of trying to post moronic posts against Greece? What do you do in your spare time, try to find topics where you can squeeze your BS?

I dont claim, pretend or stick on anything. I didnt post the topic and opened up that discussion, but when it is time for the truth, I just say the truth.

I'm just saying that I'm tired of stupid people, who have as their sole purpose in life, to promote nationalist propaganda without ever providing any kind of evidence or even clue, apart for their sick fantasy!

I am also tired of stupid people, that is why I was trying to ignore people's stupidity until that discussion was started. If you want me to open up a fiery discussion about that topic, then post my proofs etc., and then start a new transAegean arguement, then I will, if I can find any spare time for that.

My life purposes are way worthier than wasting it with trying to prove facts in international forums.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>