Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Its soo Hot here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Its soo Hot here
    Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 00:15
Originally posted by edgewaters

Originally posted by Sparten

Incidentally, there is a way to deal with the heat and cold as well, wear loose and thin clothes, stay in the shade and drink lots of water.

That helps, but not that much. You'll still be hot.

With enough layers and the right clothes, you can overheat and be pouring sweat even if it's -20 degrees out. So I still say that the cold is alot easier to mitigate than the heat.

I have been outside in 50 C and -10C pretty much every year. The key is to remain covered and wear loose fitting clothes and you are fine.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 00:41

Well, I've worn loose fitting clothes, sat in the shade, and drank lots of water and it's no silver bullet. 

The cold can be entirely mitigated, to the point you can be sweating under too many layers. Loose clothes and lots of water will not make you feel like you're freezing at 50C! The effectiveness of that is pretty much limited to preventing heat exhaustion.

Besides, you're from the UK, so your opinion is questionable. "Mad dogs and Englishmen" and all that. Britons pride themselves on having a mental disorder that prevents them from registering the effects of extreme temperatures.

Edited by edgewaters - 07-Feb-2009 at 00:44
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 02:00
He is from Pakistan 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 02:33

^

Yup, born and bread. In London for a year. As I think I mentioned a few times.

And edgewaters, don't get me started on UK citizens perceptions of weather extremes. 6 inches of snow and everything went to hell here this week. -5; BIG FREEZE according to tha tabloids. 30 C is a heatwave.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 03:31
Amazing wheather in Australia.
Here in central Chile, temperatures are moderated all year around. Today we have circa 34 degrees celsius, which is about the highest we ever have. At winter time, the lowest temperature get is 5 degrees below, in real cold days. Most of the year, though is clowdy.
There aren't tornados or hurricanes in here either, nor largest electric storms. The most dangerous weather phenomena is heavy rain, that sometimes produces tragic floodings.

The toughest wheather I have lived was in Saskatchewan, Canada, where at winter time the temperature dropped to 40 degrees celsius below zero, and at summer time climbed to 42 degrees above zero!! What a weather!

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 03:49
when Chile/Andes flood we are in drough.

For  the Aussies, you can see the elertical market live here, major spike in NSW

http://www.nemmco.com.au/

Edited by Leonidas - 07-Feb-2009 at 04:01
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 05:12
Originally posted by edgewaters

I can imagine if you live somewhere that has a dry heat, it could be preferable to the cold. And actually, the worst kind of cold is wet cold, where it's cold enough to be unpleasant but not cold enough to freeze water vapour or stop it from raining. In that sense, 2-6 degrees can be alot more unpleasant than -20 under the right conditions.

Yeah a good point actually.
I meant a wet cold, if we have a dry cold with sunshine(-6 to 8 or something) its actually really lovely. I also meant a dry heat, like we have now.

Incidentally I spent all morning at the Multicultural festival in the city. So I've had a good deal of walking around in the heat today.
Well, I've worn loose fitting clothes, sat in the shade, and drank lots of water and it's no silver bullet.

Sitting under a deep shade from a European tree is totally lovely though. Its often better than airconditioners.
Besides, you're from the UK, so your opinion is questionable. "Mad dogs and Englishmen" and all that. Britons pride themselves on having a mental disorder that prevents them from registering the effects of extreme temperatures.

, Funniest thing I have read all day.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 06:16
Hello to you all

As a guy who lives without AC's in 100% humidity and shade temps of 51C and temps above 40 for 6 months of the year, see the link below, and saw temps as low as -7C with frost, I say give me hot weather over cold one. Hypothermia is much more dangerous than any heat related diseases. Plus dehydration occures as much in cold weather as it does in worm one and frostbite, the most dangerous side effect of cold, doesn't occure in heat.

Al-Jassas
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 11:04
Originally posted by Sparten

And edgewaters, don't get me started on UK citizens perceptions of weather extremes. 6 inches of snow and everything went to hell here this week. -5; BIG FREEZE according to tha tabloids. 30 C is a heatwave.
Well, they get snow once in every ten or so years, so you can't really expect them to be prepared with snow-removing equipment all the time. Stockholmers on the other hand, has no excuse for their lousy snow-driving. Confused

edit: oh, and heat is very much better than cold, I've been in temperatures between +45 and -40, and I know what I prefer. It's not even close.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 07-Feb-2009 at 11:07
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 11:56
It's 32-34 Celsius in Malaysia.. almost everyday the same throughout the year.
unless it is raining.. the temp will drop down..

43? that's very uncomfortable..
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 15:06
As long as I have heated shelter I prefer extreme cold over extreme heat. Extreme heat is less dangerous, true, but extreme cold is cleaner; it doesn't make you sweat, it doesn't allow all sorts of disgusting organisms like bugs, fungus and bacteria to breed and multiply and it makes people stay indoors rather than run around causing trouble. The sterile, dead silence of a harsh winter is something I savour. 
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 21:07
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Yes, but there is a cool change on Monday.
While the -18 with windchill is not comfortable heat is much much worse.
I don't know, I think cold is worse.2-6 degree days with a cold wind and overcast conditions is much more unpleasant than 40.I suggest an AE conference in Ivanhoe tomorrow LOL

Hi Omar
I don't agree because I have lived in hot areas and cold areas and if you are in Australia then you cold cannot compare to the east side of Washington or Montana state. I have been in -30 below zero F. - not celcius. You can always escape the cold in a warm house or clothing but the heat seems so much harder to escape from. I have backpacked in Arizona when it was over 120 F. and in the Pacific NW when it was -13 below F. I prefer cold to hot anyday- even minus zero. I prefer hiking in the 70's F. but climate never stops me but heat will more likely get me to rethink my plans. Now I live in Arizona so I will have to adapt to hot and with the summer monsoons- hot+ humid. ARRRGGGHHHH!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 23:22
If you guys are trying to hike in 35 C weather I think I can see why you have problems handling the heat.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 02:17
the bush fires did arrive in Victoria. Our Eucalyptus are like pine tees, full of flammable oil. when we have strong winds - long weeks of dry weather we normally get these type of tragedies. The death toll is going to be very big this year.

Edit it looks like it may top Ash Wednesday

aftermath

http://www.news.com.au/gallery/0,23607,5037339-5006020-1,00.html
http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/2009/02/07/1233423569062.html

Edited by Leonidas - 08-Feb-2009 at 02:23
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 02:54
Last night we went out clubbing. It was fan-tabulous. Before that a girl at the pre-party was checking through her friends' facebook pictures in her home town (which has been subjected to extreme bush fire offensives). The local petrol station had been hit and it exploded, destroying the surrounding two blocs of buildings including a school. One picture after another illustrated the destroyed homes, vehicles, livestock and lives in a way words never could. She was bawling her eyes out.

At the club it got worse, a friend of mine just found out his entire stock of memorabilia from his youth had been turned to ashes when the home he was born in was engulfed in flames. All his photos, sports trophies, school reports - everything all turned to black waste.
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 03:07
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Last night we went out clubbing. It was fan-tabulous. Before that a girl at the pre-party was checking through her friends' facebook pictures in her home town (which has been subjected to extreme bush fire offensives). The local petrol station had been hit and it exploded, destroying the surrounding two blocs of buildings including a school. One picture after another illustrated the destroyed homes, vehicles, livestock and lives in a way words never could. She was bawling her eyes out.

At the club it got worse, a friend of mine just found out his entire stock of memorabilia from his youth had been turned to ashes when the home he was born in was engulfed in flames. All his photos, sports trophies, school reports - everything all turned to black waste.

dear god..i feel very sorry him and everyone else hit by this devestating tragedy. Hopefully the fires can be stopped and peace will quickly return  to those that need it most.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 12:13
its worse than ash Wednesday 85 dead and counting, the fires are not out, over 200,000 ha burnt so far.

aftermath

he entire town of Marysville in the Yarra Valley has been wiped out
these things get hired every season

you need to be as fast as this to get out with singed fur

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 13:32
Very terrible.. were they managed to stop the fire?
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 13:46
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Being a person who's always felt almost as sentimental about places and things as I do about people, this sounds like a nightmare. 

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 17:24
Wow, this is pretty depressing to look at and hear about. Can't imagine having every thing you know and grow up with gone in a flash. It has to be gut wrenching, I wouldn't even want to imagine the feelings they are going through. A whole town lost... It's horrible.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>