Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical games
    Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 15:55
yes, cheers!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 17:17
Originally posted by Parnell

yes, cheers!

Here is a good source for modifications to all of the Total War series related games.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2009 at 19:39
most influental to me where Civilization 2, Age of Empires 2 and Hearts of Iron 2. as well as a notable mention of Cossacks (the original, not the extremely dissapointing 2nd part) and the first two Total War games. Civilization, AoE and Total War series completely went down the drown after they went full 3D. don't know if i can say the same for Europa Unviersalis because EU3 has some good new stuff and some bad, but many of which have been improved on by add-ons and patches. shooters like Call of Duty and the like never particularly impresed me except for Hidden & Dangerous 2. i also often still play Battlefield Vietnam, if only for its great soundtrack.
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2009 at 20:23
I was really into Civ 2/AOE 2 when they were popular. Wasted hundreds and hundreds of precious life hours on those two amazing games. Hell, AOE II is the game that introduced me to the Byzantines! I tried to play HOI more than a few times but ended up getting whooped way too bad to have any fun Ouch
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2009 at 20:33
Nobody mentioned a single ship Cry

Though I haven't played any such games since Ancient Art of War At Sea some twenty-odd years ago.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2009 at 20:38
you might be interested in those:

http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/home.html  Wink
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2009 at 20:52
I'm with Parnell - Rome Total War would be my #1 historical game of all time, though I am yet to play the original MTW Shocked. Civ IV is also right up there.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2009 at 22:06
The original MTW is great, I had a lot of fun playing it. It is especially good once you get the Viking Invasion add-on and get either the VI expansion mod or Wes'. Makes the game so much better. 
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2009 at 04:17

I really liked Imperialism (I and II, but II especially) - great game, for its time. Actually I still keep a copy on a thumb drive, since you don't actually need to install it and you can run it right off the drive anywhere. Runs fine on Vista etc too for some reason.

Another favourite of mine, at least for part of the franchise, was the Cossacks series. Especially American Conquest, though that might be a little slow for most people's taste. The first Cossacks was, in many ways, a heck of alot better than AOE 2 though. Cossacks was actually designed to be the succesor to the Age of Empires series (before AOE 3 came out) and in my mind did that amazingly well.

Another favourite of mine is Gary Grigsby's World at War. It is an especially great game to play against someone in hotseat or on a LAN.

Edited by edgewaters - 20-Jan-2009 at 04:18
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2009 at 02:20
Yes I absolutely recomend Sid Meier's Civilization 3 complete edition. You will not be able to resist the temptation of civ3 until your grades drop, you only leave you room for dinner, bathroom, and snacks, and your grades drop to a point where your teachers go like "What the hell is wrong with thiskid?" It happened to me, i took the disk (which costs $5 btw), chucked it into the garbage can and I am now an A+ student. But great game BTW!LOL 
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Duke of Parma View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Duke of Parma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 01:19
I love Europa Universalis 3 and Hearts of Iron 2, but I also enjoy the Total War series, and Civilization. I have Civ 3, and I used to be addicted to it, but never really bothered getting Civ 4. I play Age of Empires II and III once in a while.
"The people were not made for the sake of the prince, but the prince for the sake of the people."
Philip II of Spain
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 01:42
I should mention that my favourite historical games of all were the Avalon Hill boardgames (Anzio, Russian Campaign, Afrika Korps, Wooden Ships and Iron Men, Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, etc). Civ3 and all that is nice, but there is nothing like actually getting together with people around a table. Those games were like "poker night" in my circle of friends many years ago, 
Afsar Beghi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 13:56
Knights of Honour, I could play it all day long.
Dadaloğlum bir gun kavga kurulur,
Oter tufek davlumbazlar vurulur,
Nice ko yiğitler yere serilir,
Olen lr kalan sağlar bizimdir!
khshayathiya View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote khshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 16:58
I accidentally discovered a very old game called Centurion, which seems to have formed the inspirational basis for the TW series (that is, combining turn-based strategic deployment with real-time battles). You have a limited amount of troops, but you can set them in various formations and then unleash them.

Loads of fun.

Edited by khshayathiya - 27-Feb-2009 at 16:58
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 19:21
As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Cossacks, followed by the Total War Series (RTW with Rome Total Realism mod is amazing). These games allow for the simulation of realistic battles. AOE, Rise of Nations, and Empire Earth are good, but the way they have units act and attack buildings is unrealistic (I never knew you could destroy a building by hitting it with a sword twenty times).

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2009 at 14:39
I guess that most people here are enjoyng historical games based on pre XX th century games. I loved AoE II while I do hate AoE III. Same for cossacks. Patrician II was one that I enjoyed playing but it was taking tooooo long to get upstairs. Pretty tough game that one. A game that I loved to play was the one with the vikings getting in America in search of a comet. Funny but a little too long.
But my favourite is the panzer general series. I'm still playing those from time to time. In terms of RTS, what I've tried mostly dissapointed me. Sudden Strike seemed somehow better but with some really ugly features (the AI uses the field guns way too accurate, for example).
I wonder why no simulators were mentioned here. I think Silent Hunter III and IV, Il2 Sturmovik, B17 - The Mighty Eight, Destroyer Command, Panzer Commander are among the best games and also accurate. Il2 is probably the game I won't stop playing until I'm dead. It's soo well done. Silent Hunter is  too time consuming so I'll just wait for my daughter to grow up a little to start a new campaign in the Atlantic.
For shooters, I can't say much since I'm not playing such games, but I have a friend who does and he said Call of Duty to be the best.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2009 at 16:15
Originally posted by Parnell

Originally posted by Akolouthos

I've seen several people mention that the Europa Universalis series is fun. I've never played it; could someone please give me a rundown on why they feel it is so great? What does it have that other games don't.

-Akolouthos

Its because it is a real strategy game, and ludicrously accurate. In fact, you get nice little tidbits of a countries history just by playing it.

You don't control the armies, but by fiddling with your domestic policy you can make it more efficient, cheaper, or more effective. Everything is decided by the policy decisions you make, such as how many merchants or colonists you can produce. You can play as an enlightened ruler (Which I have done with Britain) or as a counter-reformation despot (Which is what I invariably end up with when I play France. The detail is what makes the game so great. It takes a few games to really understand it, and it takes a hellofa lot of time to play, but it is a fantastic game.

Parnell, I am sorry; I forgot to thank you for giving me the run down on Europa Universalis. I definitely appreciated your explanation, and will probably pick it up sometime. Thanks for taking the time to explain it a bit, and please forgive me for the tardiness of my reply. Smile

-Akolouthos
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2009 at 19:39
Originally posted by Cezar

I guess that most people here are enjoyng historical games based on pre XX th century games. I loved AoE II while I do hate AoE III. Same for cossacks. Patrician II was one that I enjoyed playing but it was taking tooooo long to get upstairs. Pretty tough game that one. A game that I loved to play was the one with the vikings getting in America in search of a comet. Funny but a little too long.
But my favourite is the panzer general series. I'm still playing those from time to time. In terms of RTS, what I've tried mostly dissapointed me. Sudden Strike seemed somehow better but with some really ugly features (the AI uses the field guns way too accurate, for example).
I wonder why no simulators were mentioned here. I think Silent Hunter III and IV, Il2 Sturmovik, B17 - The Mighty Eight, Destroyer Command, Panzer Commander are among the best games and also accurate. Il2 is probably the game I won't stop playing until I'm dead. It's soo well done. Silent Hunter is  too time consuming so I'll just wait for my daughter to grow up a little to start a new campaign in the Atlantic.
For shooters, I can't say much since I'm not playing such games, but I have a friend who does and he said Call of Duty to be the best.

best shooter is definately Hidden & Dangerous 2, Call of Duty is too arcadish. about RTS, maybe Theater of War, definately the round-based Combat Mission is excellent.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2009 at 06:38
Originally posted by Temujin

best shooter is definately Hidden & Dangerous 2, Call of Duty is too arcadish. about RTS, maybe Theater of War, definately the round-based Combat Mission is excellent.
Like I said, I don't play shooters so I'd rather not said anything about those.
I'll try ToW, looks like Close Combat getting better.
What about Commandos series? I played the first and really enjoyed it (sniper, marine, sapper ...).
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2009 at 07:31
Combine Age of Empires, Civilization and Total War series and you get Rise of Nations.

Only sad part about this game is the server hosting the multipayer games, server belongs to GaySpy. Great community and all, but you got to wait 5-10 mins before the server lets you join any game.

Nuff said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>