Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Beating" up on Israel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Beating" up on Israel?
    Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 07:30

Hello Sun tzu

Read the links above. Israel began the war, before the rockets, and Israel began the violations. Before blaming Hamas rockets blame the people who fired the first shots, these were the Israelis like it or not.

Al-Jassas
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 13:25
I don't see this as a trend or so. I think the problem was that Israel ofcourse was connected to Jewish people. Because of the holocaust, it was like a shame to critisize the situation in Palestine. At least, that is what i got from some people. Also, many immediately may call you anti-semitic which is idiotic since many people in the middle east are semitic.

What people don't get though is that when you critisize Israel, you don't critisize the Jewish society, nor the Jewish culture. You judge a country related to Jewish people, but all jewish people don't live in Israel nor agree with its tactics.

I have personally met a Romaniote jew once who had almost fanatical anti-israel views.

In any case, this is not a trend. It's just easier nowadays for people in some western countries to critisize. The tolerance is not high towards israel as it was before.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 15:58
I think its a trend amongst 17-21 year olds who think they know a thing or two. Especially popular amongst those people who see 'movements' in everything. Personally, I have a real ugly disdain for politics in general, and for partisans who see the work of the 'other side' in everything. War is hell, and it is politics and the left/right divisions which perpetuate it.

Everything in this world revolves around who holds the moral high ground. Soon, the self-righteous ramblings of a supposedly 'correct' radical becomes the word of God and any who disagrees with him is a moron, a racist, an imperialist, an inferior mind.

Its an ugly circle but won't change anytime soon. Its humanity itself.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 16:07
Originally posted by Parnell

I think its a trend amongst 17-21 year olds who think they know a thing or two. Especially popular amongst those people who see 'movements' in everything. Personally, I have a real ugly disdain for politics in general, and for partisans who see the work of the 'other side' in everything. War is hell, and it is politics and the left/right divisions which perpetuate it.

Everything in this world revolves around who holds the moral high ground. Soon, the self-righteous ramblings of a supposedly 'correct' radical becomes the word of God and any who disagrees with him is a moron, a racist, an imperialist, an inferior mind.

Aye, which is why I would have given up trying to explain the situation as a bad job a long time ago. I admire your clear thinking and your fortitude, and I wish you the best. That said, I probably won't be joining you. I always get depressed when I watch people who could do so much more flush their minds down the toilet with self-righteousness and hyperbolic nonsense. I do wish you luck, for you must find it frustrating, and few of those who most need to hear what you have to say will be willing to pull themselves away from their childish disingenuousness long enough to listen.

-Akolouthos
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 17:17
Parnell is right. You don't have to believe what he says and not have a opinion on the matter. But if you run his train of thought, you may not be as biased to the point as having a Stars Wars mentality where there's one grand scheme to wipe out everything good another that is pure good and a under dog.

It's aggrevating getting into discussions with people that just keep going in circles and believe in things that only account for one idea even if the motives don't exactly help the interests of that party.

Let me just say, I may be the above case also, not saying I'm always in the right or even at all. But it's something I feel. I don't like Israel, but I could see alot strategic ideas on why the conflict could be played out, why other nations have motives in the area rather then something like a grand "Zionist Conspiracy".
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 17:24

Actually it is not a trend at all, because intellectuals and non-activists alike agree on the issue. Yes it may be a rebellious trend to some, but that is a minuscule minority.

Some of your observations are right, but that is overall too cynical as at the end of the day these criticisms of Israel as a government are correct and documented for over fifty years. Thus no matter the "larger picture" in the world context of things when considered at its local level there are grave injustices that are ongoing and that are the cause and root of the conflict - thus perpetuating them of course begets negative effects from the other side, and in the context of this thread begets this "bashing of Israel, the government" due to the actions that they choose not to cease. I think there has been enough material posted to deduce that just in the two threads on this topic.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 17:26
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Parnell is right. You don't have to believe what he says and not have a opinion on the matter. But if you run his train of thought, you may not be as biased to the point as having a Stars Wars mentality where there's one grand scheme to wipe out everything good another that is pure good and a under dog.

It's aggrevating getting into discussions with people that just keep going in circles and believe in things that only account for one idea even if the motives don't exactly help the interests of that party.

Let me just say, I may be the above case also, not saying I'm always in the right or even at all. But it's something I feel. I don't like Israel, but I could see alot strategic ideas on why the conflict could be played out, why other nations have motives in the area rather then something like a grand "Zionist Conspiracy".

Actually dis-attaching yourself in that manner and becoming too cynical has helped the non action of millions with the murder of over 6 million people. Thus these over simplifications do do damage. At least disagreeing and trying to show wrong in something creates debate.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 17:58
Originally posted by es_bih

Actually it is not a trend at all, because intellectuals and non-activists alike agree on the issue. Yes it may be a rebellious trend to some, but that is a minuscule minority.

Some of your observations are right, but that is overall too cynical as at the end of the day these criticisms of Israel as a government are correct and documented for over fifty years. Thus no matter the "larger picture" in the world context of things when considered at its local level there are grave injustices that are ongoing and that are the cause and root of the conflict - thus perpetuating them of course begets negative effects from the other side, and in the context of this thread begets this "bashing of Israel, the government" due to the actions that they choose not to cease. I think there has been enough material posted to deduce that just in the two threads on this topic.

But when you only "bash" one side and never the other, it becomes a political ideology.  Political ideologies come in the form of trends.  It is the current trend to "bash" Israel.  Look, you can criticize Israel all you want; but you should also be able to criticize the other side.  When a person does this it gives their criticisms credibility because they are being objective and showing that they are thinking with a clear mind and really taking in the situation.  If you can't criticize the other side then, I would say, you don't fully understand the situation.  To see a situation like the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as black and white is an oversimplification of the situation.  By the way all the coverage I have seen on US Media places Palestinian stories first and Israeli stories second.  An example of this would be CNN, on this channel one gets reporting like 400+ PALESTINAINS DEAD... ...Palestinians are still launching missiles.  This is hardly coverage skewed towards Israel, the first thing is always Palestinians being invaded and killed followed by a small parenthetical aside about Israel still being attacked.  I would say coverage in this manner shows the trend about which Parnell has spoken.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 19:55

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Actually dis-attaching yourself in that manner and becoming too cynical has helped the non action of millions with the murder of over 6 million people. Thus these over simplifications do do damage. At least disagreeing and trying to show wrong in something creates debate.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone was advocating the type of apathy that has allowed this situation to get worse over the past several decades. In fact I think this apathy is a natural result of the angry propaganda that often permeates the discussion. If I get accused of being a militant supporter or sympathizer of Israel every time I try to argue for making a more objective analysis of the situation, of course it turns me off to the debate, precisely because I recognize that nothing substantive can be accomplished or resolved in such a dynamic. I think we can all agree that the overwhelming majority of the discussion of the conflict on this forum has not been productive.

-Akolouthos
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 20:25

Oh come on King John, what is there to report from the other side? The rockets that fall on empty desert? or the poor Israelis terrified by fire crackers?

From sunday until now Israel killed nothing but civilians and a couple of Hamas leaders. some 200 women and Children this is what Israel killed since Sunday according to most reports and almost all of them fell in places out of range of any Hamas training camps, security installations and rocket firing ranges. Israel deliberatly attacked and distroyed 11 mosques some during prayer time to maximze the death toll. It also distroyed several schools, damaged a hospital and distroyed the two university campuses in Gaza. Yesterday Livni in Europe refused to allow humanitaria assistence to go to Gaza or to stop attacking despite Hamas's pledge to stop firing rockets. All these are war crimes by every meaning of international law a thing non of the the media you accuse of bashing Israel mention this.

Now the world sees two pictures, from Gaza, continuous flood of civilian blood by Israeli war machine, war crimes by the minute and total distruction of every civilian infrastructure there is. From Israel, firecrackers that fall on empty desert and only kill once in a blue moon when they directly hit a guy out there standing.

Now do you really think both pictures are equal?

Al-Jassas 
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 20:29
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello Sun tzu

Read the links above. Israel began the war, before the rockets, and Israel began the violations. Before blaming Hamas rockets blame the people who fired the first shots, these were the Israelis like it or not.

Al-Jassas

Tell me Al Jassas where are the links? and where did you get the information. Even so Hamas is considered a terrorist organization and they need to be dismantled along with other terrosit organizations. Personally I really am not a big fan of Jews myself with the whole Hollywood conspiracy, but I beleive they have every right to exist as a state regardless of the Holocaust. Now with the Palestinians I wish they could have their own state and get along with Israel, but as for Hamas they need to be annihalated.

I just wanted to get through that I am not a sympathizer for Israel I just beleive Hamas should be removed.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 20:53
What is there to report from the other side?  Well what about how effective these attacks are.  How about reporting how Hamas allows its citizens to bombard Israel with rockets (an act of war) targeting civilians (a violation of international war)? 

By the way I think you missed the point I was making.  You clearly aren't capable of critically looking at the situation.  Did the Palestinians do anything wrong before Israel started this most recent round of air attacks?
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 21:10
Yea Al-Jassas you seem very one sided I might be wrong but that is what you are coming off as.
Sun Tzu

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 21:14

What personally annoys me is that I am by nature anti-zionist. Few people with a rational mind can justify a 'greater Israel' situation based on biblical teachings. Settlements, colonists, barriers, walls, military checkpoints - do you really think I agree with all of that? I am very much in Palestine's corner.

However, what I'm disagreeing with is the partisan nature of the support people give to the likes of Hamas. Hamas are a product of the medieval world, not of the modern one. I can't even recall the amount of times I've heard unyielding support for Hamas and their military philosophy. I don't care what the circumstances are but bombing a pizza shop were civilians are is plain wrong. As is an Israeli tank blowing up a Mosque. I'm not disputing that.

I see many parallels in the mentalities of people when compared to the IRA in Northern Ireland. Foreigners, particularly Americans of Irish descent have always viewed the IRA with a naieve romanticist view of a brave and courageous group of 'lads' fighting the Sassanach (The British). I see these same naieve and dangerous notions from people my own age in university. It seems like people have stopped trying to understand both sides of a conflict, studying the history or understanding the context but rather see EVERYTHING in the context of good vs. evil, right vs. wrong. The gray areas are ignored and the conflict becomes submerged in sea of naieve and incorrect romanticism which ignores the true and elusive natures of the conflict.
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 21:22
It's just like Osama bin Laden whom if you ask what people think of him over here he would be called a mass-murderer. While over in the Middle-East some call him freedom fighter and and a paragon, to me they should regard him as a blight to society and Islam. Instead he is supported by people who parade themselves as true Muslims while they go and blow themselves up and kill people. I am not saying that Americans are saints but I have never seen U.S. citizen blow themselves up in an exreme act of cowardice in order to kill many.

Edited by Sun Tzu - 02-Jan-2009 at 22:11
Sun Tzu

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 22:03
Thats a little silly. The suicide bomb has long since become a military tactic. In fairness, in the world of modern warfare when ak47s are being wielded against tanks, the suicide bomb is a highly potent weapon. Not justifying it or anything but its a little more complicated than regarding it as some simple act of cowardice.
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 22:21
I'm not saying that suicide bombs are not ineffective I just beleive the use of them to innocent people is sick and should be looked down upon by any right minded person. Right??? what I meant by cowardice I meant by them attacking people who can'y defend themselves like civilians. I guess this is the world we live in were the old rules in warfare don't apply.

Edited by Sun Tzu - 02-Jan-2009 at 22:24
Sun Tzu

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 23:17
...moved to the Minefield
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2009 at 00:37
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

Yea Al-Jassas you seem very one sided I might be wrong but that is what you are coming off as.

So do you.

Personally I think that taking the middle ground in a conflict where the middle is far to one side is morally reprehensible. Criticise what deserves criticism, but it one side deserves far more criticism than the other then don't be afraid to give it to them.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 03-Jan-2009 at 00:52
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2009 at 01:46
Ok I really don't have time to argue any more on this argument Hamas is a terroist organization so they need to be wiped out. I am siding with Israel because Hamas is a Terrorist organziation. Now with Palestinians I beleive they have every right to have their own state alongside Israel. Hamas is a blight on Islamic society and like Al-Quada gives Islam a bad rep to many Americans and other people worldwide. So I couldn't care who was at war with Hamas as long as Hamas is utterly destroyed.
Sun Tzu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>