Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

France vs England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: these two are historical rivals.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [51.52%]
16 [48.48%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: France vs England
    Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 01:56
i've always wanted to know who's stronger.
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 18:31
England, earlier industry, naval power, more money, better legal system and government for most of history, all the French have is the better army, and even that depends on time period.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote RED GUARD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 18:38

England of course. Not only do they have more nukes than the French, they also have their friends the Americans.
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 18:40
I don't know what to base this decision on, but I vote for France because they gave the world the French Revolution. If not for that we would not be enjoying the freedom and stability we enjoy today in the west. 
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 19:43

While I love England nearly as much as my America, I'd have to say that, without help from outside interests, and given the most extreme condition: nuclear; that the French would win.  However, if we were talking a more modern conventional war, that's tough, seeing as how England only has the UK and the US as it's main allies, all of Europe, however, would probably unconditionally back France.  There's just too much anti-American sentiment to stand back.

But does anyone actually think a war like this would ever be fought again?

Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 19:47

England. No offence French but, the French in my knowladge has not won any wars until Napolean came.  No one after was able to do that.  The French also lost the French and Indian War. 

Edited by Le Renard
"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 20:10

Have the French ever been able to cross the EnglishChannel?

I don't think soo!!!  Or maybe they have

Edited by Thegeneral
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 00:43
France has a slightly more powerful navy, a much more powerful airforce and a larger, better equipped but poorer quality army. It also has more nukes. I'm betting this is one time even the froggies can't lose.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 23:38

England, without a doubt

Originally posted by Paul

France has a slightly more powerful navy, a much more powerful airforce and a larger, better equipped but poorer quality army. It also has more nukes. I'm betting this is one time even the froggies can't lose.

u dont need more nukes, u only need like 3.

England acually has a aircraft carrier, and not to mention, the royal snipers. (yes, yes)

True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 00:00

Britain has three aircraft carriers, several helicopter carriers.

France has a supercarrier.

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 00:28
Since when does France fight (or even WIN) wars?
Cassivellaunus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 00:35

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html

Originally posted by Thegeneral

Have the French ever been able to cross the EnglishChannel?

I don't think soo!!!  Or maybe they have

The Normans (Norse settlers in northern France) crossed the channell and conquered England. I'm wondering if they were considered French back then...

Edited by Cassivellaunus
"Why do you cower in your trenches, men? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
- Last words of General John Sedgewick
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 02:05

isn't it odd how France has stronger navy and England has stronger army?

since French air is much stronger, i'll vote France

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 05:38
Originally posted by I/eye

isn't it odd how France has stronger navy and England has stronger army?

since French air is much stronger, i'll vote France

Weaker man for man, but outnumbers us 5 to 1, so better I'm afraid.

Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 10:40

Suggested reading:

Napoleon and Wellington by Andrew Roberts

Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 11:06
There is just no way France would win!  I just could not see it ever, EVER happening!  Besides, it's not like the French populace would even want to fight Britain.  Say, for instance, the French government wanted to fight, the population would just give up.  There would be no will to fight!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 19:38

I would agree that there would be no will to fight the English.

Now since France and Germany are buddies maybe yes, but Germany dont have alot. I will take the UK and USA over all EU nation, except the one that like the US UK.

But you would never see it, unless the UK/USA kicked against the EU/One World Order thorns in it's side. And the French and Germans sold China Weapons that would be used against the US.

Then yes, but never...

Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 22:48
Originally posted by Le Renard

England. No offence French but, the French in my knowladge has not won any wars until Napolean came.  No one after was able to do that.  The French also lost the French and Indian War. 

I like the French, don't get me wrong

well there was the Normans in 1066 as stated earlier. There also is Joan of Arc (pardon my spelling) Plus WW1

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2005 at 07:17
Originally posted by CivilianAmerican

Now since France and Germany are buddies maybe yes, but Germany dont have alot. I will take the UK and USA over all EU nation, except the one that like the US UK.

But you would never see it, unless the UK/USA kicked against the EU/One World Order thorns in it's side. And the French and Germans sold China Weapons that would be used against the US.

Then yes, but never...

A UK/US situation against a European foe is impossible. European countries are much closer allies to Britain than the US. US may considier Britain it's closest ally but it's certainly not reciprical. Other EU countries and several commonwealth countries come first.

Riain View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Riain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2005 at 18:19
IN the UK vs the French I'd give it to the French these days, they act more like a great power than the Brits do, and it shows in their armed forces. If the war was fought out-of-area I'd give it to the Brits, beyond a certain distance threshold the Brits can deploy more forces.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>