Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIsrael attack Gaza, December 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Israel attack Gaza, December 2008
    Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 08:53
Originally posted by Menumorut

I said that the most religious, I should said most conservative. But they are not very small, 600,000-800,000 out of 5.4 million Israeli Jews, not to speak about Jews outside Israel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredi

Anyway, you should learn about the relation between Anti-Zionism and the new Antisemitism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_antisemitism

This would mean that a huge number of Jews are "anti-semitic" simply because they believe that the Jewish return is a spiritual rather than literal concept, or that the rebirth of Israel must be a divine (rather than earthly) event.

More importantly, your argument is extremely anachronistic and may have been true in the 1920s but doesn't apply to the present day. Even among the Haredi, very few oppose Zionism (other than Neturei Karta, which is a tiny fraction of the Haredi). Likewise Zionism has since ceased to be a purely secularist movement.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 14:21
The West is totally biased about Israel.

Israel was founded in 1948 on Palestinian land after ethnical cleansing of the Palestinians. Since then it kept the Palestinians as prisoners in their own land, with full Western support. It is an ethno-religious state which keeps 10000 political prisoners in jails, many of whom are children. Since 1967 it has been illegally expanding into what remained of the Palestinian territory and has no plan whatsoever to give up that land. It may nominally give half of it in form of isolated bantustants to the Palestinians, and move its own Palestinian minority there, but will continue to control the resources and the borders and the airspace indefinitely. Zionist brutality and de facto apartheid over the decades spawned the violent and religious resistance we see today in Palestine. 

Yet the Westerners blame the victims and call Israel 'the only democracy in the Middle East' with a straight face. So I conclude this is what Western 'democracy' means: rule of the white (or in this case 'honorary white') master race.

Western bias is most obvious in comparisons with China and Tibet. China took over Tibet the same time Israel took over Palestine. Chinese treated and continue to treat the Tibetans infinitely better. They are opposed by a religious organisation led by Dalai Lama which the West considers a great hero, while both the governments and the press savagely attacks China because it holds 100 Tibetan adults as political prisoners. As I wrote before Israel holds 10000 prisoners including children, runs the Palestinian territories as open air prisons, and kills them whenever they disobey the prison guards, which the West calls legitimate self-defence.

The world (not only the Muslim majority nations) recognises the crimes of Israel in UN General Assembly meetings, but any action or strong condemnation against Israel is prevented by its Western patrons in the Security Council. Still a few decision somehow managed to pass against them, which they ignore anyway, again protected by their patrons.

Israeli bias in the West (especially in the US) is so strong that even the slightest critisism of Israel is unacceptable. To critisise the actions of Zionists (who are followers of a certain ideology, regardless of country of origin or religion) is unacceptable. They can never be wrong. If you critisise them you must be an anti-semite, or a Muslim. I read the Haaretz (an Israeli newspaper) now and then and they have more critisism of Israel than American papers. I find that incredible, but also a proof of Israel's role in the Middle East as an imperialist outpost.  
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 14:37
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

The West is totally biased about Israel.

Israel was founded in 1948 on Palestinian land after ethnical cleansing of the Palestinians. Since then it kept the Palestinians as prisoners in their own land, with full Western support. It is an ethno-religious state which keeps 10000 political prisoners in jails, many of whom are children. Since 1967 it has been illegally expanding into what remained of the Palestinian territory and has no plan whatsoever to give up that land. It may nominally give half of it in form of isolated bantustants to the Palestinians, and move its own Palestinian minority there, but will continue to control the resources and the borders and the airspace indefinitely. Zionist brutality and de facto apartheid over the decades spawned the violent and religious resistance we see today in Palestine. 

Yet the Westerners blame the victims and call Israel 'the only democracy in the Middle East' with a straight face. So I conclude this is what Western 'democracy' means: rule of the white (or in this case 'honorary white') master race.

As I wrote before Israel holds 10000 prisoners including children, runs the Palestinian territories as open air prisons, and kills them whenever they disobey the prison guards, which the West calls legitimate self-defence.

The world (not only the Muslim majority nations) recognises the crimes of Israel in UN General Assembly meetings, but any action or strong condemnation against Israel is prevented by its Western patrons in the Security Council. Still a few decision somehow managed to pass against them, which they ignore anyway, again protected by their patrons.

Israeli bias in the West (especially in the US) is so strong that even the slightest critisism of Israel is unacceptable. To critisise the actions of Zionists (who are followers of a certain ideology, regardless of country of origin or religion) is unacceptable. They can never be wrong. If you critisise them you must be an anti-semite, or a Muslim. I read the Haaretz (an Israeli newspaper) now and then and they have more critisism of Israel than American papers. I find that incredible, but also a proof of Israel's role in the Middle East as an imperialist outpost.  

Why do you identify West with USA? In Europe the situation is exactly the opposite, the public opinion support usually palestinians althought without real action.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 14:43
AFAIK in Greece sympathy, even at a government level, is much more in favour of the Palestinians, but then again they tend to be 'anti whatever' the USA is involved with. I think Bey is talking about the government level.

The french came out with some stronger language however  our own Aussie gov simply repeated the white house line.Angry
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 15:50

I'm getting a bit sick of you referring to westerners as one monolithic group. We clearly don't exist as one streaming mass of consciousness, and are as diverse as the stars in the sky. So settle down with this rubbish please.

Western bias is most obvious in comparisons with China and Tibet. China took over Tibet the same time Israel took over Palestine. Chinese treated and continue to treat the Tibetans infinitely better. They are opposed by a religious organisation led by Dalai Lama which the West considers a great hero, while both the governments and the press savagely attacks China because it holds 100 Tibetan adults as political prisoners. As I wrote before Israel holds 10000 prisoners including children, runs the Palestinian territories as open air prisons, and kills them whenever they disobey the prison guards, which the West calls legitimate self-defence.

The 'west' probably sympathises with Tibetans more because by and large they have adopted a peaceful form of resistance to Chinese oppression. And they have a perfectly legitimate right to their religion and religious liberty. 'Westerners' feel the same about Palestine but can't stomach the violence and the physical force resistence which rightly or wrongly is predominant there. There's a big difference and while your attempt to compare the two struggles is brave, its lacking a lot of understanding about the two very different situations.

Similarily, among people like you, to criticise Palestine, or Hamas in any way is to be a racist, an Imperialist, and a heartless bastard. Two cheeks of the same arse if you ask me.

These are the double standards I'm talking about. Braindead polemics with no real mind for working at a solution. All you have is outrage and condemnation which although very healthy and rational, doesn't get anyone anywere but creates more ill feeling, more despair and less hope for the future. Saggy minds like yours obsessed with the past is exactly whats wrong with any peace process in the middle east and why they always break down.

Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 16:23
Why are most of the posters on here so critcal of Israel?

The Jewish state by committing to operations, such as what is now occurring in Gaza it's only defending it's self from aggressive actions undertaken by Islamist organizations such as Hamas.

Israel and the West has nothing to be guilty of in my opinion of what operations are now occurring.

However I must say that I am dismayed at the civilian casualties occurring, none the less though I think little can be done to avoid that.

Edited by Kevin - 29-Dec-2008 at 16:29
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 16:23
Hello Parnell

First of all, Palestinians don't need you permission not that of the world to defend themselves. Israel occupied the west Bank and Gaza strip for 60+ years. Resistence only started in the late 60s and early 70s. Before that, before 67, Israel averaged some 100 Palestinians a month and the world stood watching. Sharon when he was the military commander of Gaza in the 70s after the 73 war killed over 700 Palestinians in less than 6 months and all of them were civilians. The world said nothing. In the 80s during the 1st Intifada, Israeli soldiers were filmed and shown on world television massacring peaceful demonstrators, and the world said nothing. Only after suicide bombers and military action did Israel settle. Unfortunate as it may it shows the world cares not about the Palestinians so Bey is right.

Bey is also right about Tibet. I suggest you read about pre-China Tibet and really know how the good hearted similing Buddhist monks ran the country. Those same smiling monks lead the burning of a mosque during the riots early this year killing all who were inside for no reason except they were Hui (muslim Han). Those same smiling monks lead lynching mobs targeting school age girls for no reason other than they are Han. They burned and looted business for no reason other than they were Han. Yet you and the western media will never hear about this or even worse, hear it but decide to do nothing. Nobody condemned the monks for murdering over 100 innocent people in one day but when Chinese riot police deal with those criminals with a velvet glove the west cries foul. Sorry man but Bey was on the point.

Al-Jassas
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 16:28

Hi Kevin

People are criticising Israel for a reason. Read my post in the previous page and you will know why. Had Israel been acting legitimately I will be the first to support Israel's strike.

Al-Jassas
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 16:48
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hi Kevin

People are criticising Israel for a reason. Read my post in the previous page and you will know why. Had Israel been acting legitimately I will be the first to support Israel's strike.

Al-Jassas

I understand,

However Hamas is an organization that can not be trusted even though they are more slightly willing to negotiate with Israel.

Keep in mind they have made power plays against the more moderate Abbas which resulted in a Palestinian Civil War, not to mention Hama's harsh language and erratic political behavior.

Of course I condemn and distrust most of the Jewish extremists also in Israel.      
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 16:57

Hello Parnell

First of all, Palestinians don't need you permission not that of the world to defend themselves. Israel occupied the west Bank and Gaza strip for 60+ years. Resistence only started in the late 60s and early 70s. Before that, before 67, Israel averaged some 100 Palestinians a month and the world stood watching. Sharon when he was the military commander of Gaza in the 70s after the 73 war killed over 700 Palestinians in less than 6 months and all of them were civilians. The world said nothing. In the 80s during the 1st Intifada, Israeli soldiers were filmed and shown on world television massacring peaceful demonstrators, and the world said nothing. Only after suicide bombers and military action did Israel settle. Unfortunate as it may it shows the world cares not about the Palestinians so Bey is right.

Al-Jassas

NO, he is not. I repeat the public opinion in Europe favour palestinians. The governments only say "this and that things, both sides, are wrong", but for example, let me show you the editorial of the main newspaper in Spain, El País:

"What to do in Gaza?

Lo que hace ya lo sabemos. Condenar la violencia de ambas partes, en unos casos, cargando el acento contra el agresor de mayor capacidad mortal, Israel, y en otros, buscando una remota equivalencia entre los actos de ambos contendientes. Y hoy ya resuena todo ello con el eco de la inutilidad más absoluta. El Consejo de Seguridad, por su parte, se preocupa, exhorta al fin de la violencia, y en ocasiones condena, pero sin ignorar que de buenas intenciones está empedrado el infierno.

"What they do (the governments) we know. Condemn the violence of both sides, sometimes, putting the main point on the most powerful aggressor, other times, searching a far equivalence between the acts of both. But today, all this sound with the echo of the absolute uselessness. The Security Council (UN), is worried and call to the end of the violence and, sometines condemn, but don't ignore that with good intentions are covered the Hell"

---

"...podrían restringir el comercio normal -político y económico- entre potencias democráticas en sus tratos con el Estado judío, hasta que muestre una seria voluntad negociadora. Bush padre negó a Israel el aval de un fuerte crédito e Israel se avino a participar en la conferencia de Madrid en 1991."

"... (USA and EU) they can restrict the commerce (polytical and economical) between democratic powers and the Jewish State, until Israel show a goodwill negotiator. Bush senior negate to Israel money and Israel come to take part in Madrid Conference 1991."

----

"...así como invitar a los países que mayor confianza le inspiren a Israel, Estados Unidos, quizá Holanda, a mandar fuerzas de vigilancia, control e interposición entre dos entidades políticas, Palestina e Israel, con las fronteras de 1967."

"... and invite to countries who inspire confidence to Israel, USA and probably Netherlands, to send interposition forces to watch and control, this two politycal entities Palestine and Israel, with the frontiers of 1967."

Anybody hope this could happen..."

-------------------------------------------

The European Union has been supporting the palestinians in the last 15 years, specially to Palestinian Nathional Authority. For example, only two months ago:

"Cisjordania renovaría su red eléctrica con financiación de la Unión Europea

Próximamente la Autoridad Nacional Palestina de Recursos y Energía (PENRA) pondrá en marcha un amplio programa para rehabilitar la red y hacerla más segura y eficiente.

El proyecto, para el que la Unión Europea ha donado 10,15 millones de euros a través de su programa PEGASE, llegará a 168 campos de refugiados y decenas de pueblos y ciudades cisjordanas....

"
---

The West Bank will renovate the electrical net with money of the European Union

In the future the PNA of Resources and Energy (**) will begin a program for rebuild the net and make it more safe and efficient.

The project, with 10,15 milliones euros donated by the European Union with her program PEGASE, will cover 168 refugee camps and dozens of villages and cities from the West Bank"

--------------------------------------------------------

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 17:12
Hamas's problem is deeper than what you think. Their problem isn't extremist because they are not. Making them in a league with Al-Qaeda is wrong because ideologically those two groups are totally apart. There are two wings in Hamas currently. A wing woed by Syria and Iran and these want to transform Hamas into a political tool for both countries especially Syria. And a wing with a genuine desire for settlement and peace.

When Hamas came into power the second wing was at its strongest. With all the good will in the world they gave all the possible concessions, even giving up demanding to form a government despite they were the clear winners of the election. What did the west say about that?

They accepted that the Israeli government having parties filled with racists (Avigdor Lieberman) and fanatics and welcomed them as responsible politicians but denied that privilage to Hamas which its  exremists were more moderate than the moderates in the current Israeli government. Gaza was under UN sanctioned siege, the Palestinian government despite being lead by Fatah was demonised and refused by the west. It was boycotted. Israel was given full reigns to do whatever they liked with Hamas and what was even worse, the west supported people within Fatah to undermine the authority of the elected government and institute a coup which nearly happened. Now Hamas being fought on two sides, one by western puppets and the other by the west itself threw itself into the Iranian-Syrian hands and currently Hamas is lead by the Syrian puppet Mishaal while the current PM (Haniyyah) is under siege (this is by the way why Israel didn't kill him yet, Egypt protects this guy and it was Egypt which masterminded the current attack). 

In the past Hamas has shown it can strike a deal and keep it, in the past 20 year, did Israel show the same behaviour? 

I don't think so.

Al-Jassas 
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 17:15
Originally posted by Kevin

However Hamas is an organization that can not be trusted even though they are more slightly willing to negotiate with Israel.

Keep in mind they have made power plays against the more moderate Abbas which resulted in a Palestinian Civil War, not to mention Hama's harsh language and erratic political behavior.

That's essentially the core of the problem right there. It's not about how the Palestinians resist Israeli oppression or whether they are violent or nonviolent (we never minded Mandela's ANC, did we?), it's about the fact they don't seem to be able to form a credible political alternative. Without that, a solution is hard to imagine. It would be irresponsible to everyone in the region - the Palestinians included - to let Hamas take the reins of state power. We certainly can't just hope that they'll become more legitimate once they get there, that's how we got Mugabe (among others!)

In that sense, things really are in the hands of the Palestinians, though I don't believe it has anything to do with whether they resist violently or not - it has to do with producing quality leadership. They have no Nelson Mandela, no Michael Collins.

As far as Israel, yes they seem to behave in a heavy handed fashion and seem disinterested in a solution, but on the other hand, we do pay perhaps too much attention to this conflict. As conflicts go, it's relatively minor, both sides are quite the media whores: a few hundred killed in Israel gets more airtime and print space than an entire war with millions dead in Africa. And I think a big part of the problem lies in the importance we attach to the conflict: that's what fuels the arms being sent to Israel, for instance. Calming the global hysteria over this conflict is crucial, because the alarmism and rhetoric involved only serves to escalate things on the ground.

Edited by edgewaters - 29-Dec-2008 at 17:20
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 17:16

Hello Ikki

When I say the west I mean the media, the elites, the governments etc. I don't mean the common man on the street. The reason for talking about the west in this language is explained in the above post.

Al-Jassas
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 17:25

Hello Parnell

Bey is also right about Tibet. I suggest you read about pre-China Tibet and really know how the good hearted similing Buddhist monks ran the country. Those same smiling monks lead the burning of a mosque during the riots early this year killing all who were inside for no reason except they were Hui (muslim Han). Those same smiling monks lead lynching mobs targeting school age girls for no reason other than they are Han. They burned and looted business for no reason other than they were Han. Yet you and the western media will never hear about this or even worse, hear it but decide to do nothing. Nobody condemned the monks for murdering over 100 innocent people in one day but when Chinese riot police deal with those criminals with a velvet glove the west cries foul. Sorry man but Bey was on the point.

Al-Jassas

Hello Al-Jassas,

Believe me, I can understand where you are coming from. As an Arab, you naturally have a sympathy for your kin in Palestine. As a muslim I'm sure you sympathise with fellow Muslims bearing the brunt of oppression. I live along the border with Northern Ireland, and although I am from the generation after violence I've grown up with the tales of the IRA and a certain amount of romanticism associated with the physical force resistance tradition. also, like any 'generation-after' I do have a degree of wooly minded optimism associated with the future and peace in my country but also in the world. I can understand that someone embroiled in the conflict can see no other way out than to shoot someone or indeed to blow themselves up in a suicide attack. Even so, Northern Ireland even at its worst was no Palestine so even were I of that generation I still might not be able to understand completely. And the poverty is Northern Ireland never reached the dizzying depths we have in some places in Palestine today. It all boils one very inequitably broth, and I understand this.

All I am doing is trying to challenge certain assumptions by partisans deeply involved in the conflict for one reason or another, be he an onlooker, an Arab, a Jew or a warrior. I don't pretend to have any substantive answers.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 18:11
I skimmed through the thread, and see everyone calling Israel Barbaric. Which maybe true. But they have been using a more second strke policy rather then first strike. It doesn't matter how miniscule the first attacks were, Palstinians should know by now that when you prick Israel, they are going to use large airstrikes. It's the samething over and over and over again! Hello, common sense here, don't shoot at them!

Let me ask you this, if you touch a hot oven, are you going to touch it again when you know it's going to burn you? It's the samething here, and we've seen it before. Obviously throwing rockets at a neighbor with a attitude that doesn't mind hitting back harder, well, it
should be something you would conclude doesn't work at all at any level. 
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 18:30
Yes and Washington should have just given up after 4 serious blows and retreats... all within weeks. Point is that there was an ideology there and that people walked from Georgia without shoes or proper equipment yearning for self government. Why do you think that the Palestinians would react any different in a similar situation. Not to mention that the British didn't really oppress us when compared to the Palestinian example. 
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 18:37
Yeah, theres a huge difference there. You guys were arguing it's a few guys using homemade science expierments to shoot at Israel. So, you fighting tanks with sticks and stones. We are in the modern world, what Worked for Washington, doesn't work for Palenstinians. The idea of self governance may be the same, but thats where it ends in similarities.

But History does keep repeating, ALOT I'd say. And each time it's only made things worse, again, atleast I'd say. Hamas pricks them, and Israel bites back a whole lot harder, and even though you know the reaction, the same one that happens time and time again, Israel is called a barbarian. Maybe true, but hello, these actions are only provoking them!
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 18:42
I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall reading somewhere -- can't remember where -- that Hamas was the party that refused to renew the cease fire. Is this so? If it is, I don't think Israel can shoulder all of the blame for the situation -- although both parties routinely violate the terms of their agreements. Could someone please elaborate?

-Akolouthos
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 18:54
Originally posted by Parnell

However, rehashing the events of 1948 doesn't further the debate in any way... These debates have been had time and time again. Its time to make new historical events - which don't involve rockets and bombs.

Well said...But that should exclude walls as well.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 18:58
Originally posted by Leonidas

AFAIK in Greece sympathy, even at a government level, is much more in favour of the Palestinians, but then again they tend to be 'anti whatever' the USA is involved with. I think Bey is talking about the government level.

The french came out with some stronger language however  our own Aussie gov simply repeated the white house line.Angry

Greece has sympathy for Palestine before the "any anti-USA" feeling broke out. Just have a look at the Greek newspapers of the early 50s...

So, basically you don't need to be eather muslim nor anti-jew (Greece had a large jewish community before WWII) to critisize Israel.

Edited by Flipper - 29-Dec-2008 at 19:01

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>