Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How come europeans don't do american football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How come europeans don't do american football?
    Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 22:45
Why don't people in europe (and any other non USA country for that matter) play american football? play nicely now I'm not trying to start a fight or anything I'm just curious as to how come people in europe don't do football, and if you would like to see an amercan style pro or college football league come to be or not?

Edited by Count Belisarius - 15-Dec-2008 at 00:09

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 22:51

'cause we have Rugby that isn't as corny and posturing

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 22:51
Because football alludes to just that foot and ball. Thus football being what is here called soccer. Plus it is much more intense and personal. No time outs every fifteen seconds, two 45 minute halves, no pampering.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 22:52
I believe they do.  There is a league in Germany, and there is interest in US football in Britain.  I am not familiar with all of it, but I have read a few items about it.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 23:07
There is the NFL Europe league. Which has the worst talent pool and serious lack of interest. College football is of higher caliber. There is a huge interest in basketball however.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 00:08
Originally posted by es_bih

It is much more intense and personal.

LOL You ever see a soccer player tackled?

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 00:09
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

'cause we have Rugby that isn't as corny and posturing

How exactly is football corny? 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 00:34
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Why don't people in europe (and any other non USA country for that matter) play american football? play nicely now I'm not trying to start a fight or anything I'm just curious as to how come people in europe don't do football, and if you would like to see an amercan style pro or college football league come to be or not?

Actually, the opposite is what people all over the world wonder:

Why the United States don't like British football (soccer)?

Now, with respect to the question, I believe people all over the world like RUGBY besides soccer. American football, though, requieres too much gear (hard-hat, shoulder protection, etc) to really be a popular sport. It looks not natural. It is just like seen a bunch of robots fighting.

Yeap, if the rest of the people on this planet has to choose a game similar to American football, I bet they will go for rugby. In any case, Soccer is the favorite because is fast and need skills other than brute force.

However, believe or not, there is a league of American football in Mexico!

Edited by pinguin - 15-Dec-2008 at 00:35
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 00:36

Why should he be?
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 01:19

I wouldn't say corny ... I think alot of Europeans perceive American football as homoerotic and want nothing to do with it.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 01:56
Originally posted by edgewaters

I wouldn't say corny ... I think alot of Europeans perceive American football as homoerotic and want nothing to do with it.

Strange, your the first person I've heard say that.Wink

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 02:10

I heard that criticism from three different Brits who didn't know each other ... it's definately anecdotal but on the other hand a bit much to be a coincidence.

The protective gear also seemed to be a common theme - they seemed to think it was comical or absurd, which is odd, considering I've never heard anyone from overseas complain about the gear worn in hockey.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 02:40

Well if you must know most americans think the same about soccer

Whiteice View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Whiteice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 02:46
Personally, I would prefer to play Rugby over American football, mainly because you odn't have to lug so much gear on your backs and slow yourself down. Plus, rugby is an older sport and more action packed then football and much less slow. There aren't penalties every 5 seconds for hitting a kciker or a quarterback. That's just my opinion thouhg, and everyone has a right to their own opinion.
"Speed is good, but accuracy is everything"-Xenophon
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 02:53
I've played Gridiron at school. With no pads but, wearing that much armour is considered just a tad* sissy. Gridiron doesn't have a hope of challenging the Rugby-AFL-Cricket dominance though.

A better question is why don't Americans play Cricket? Apparently the first ever international game was played between the US & Canada.
Originally posted by edgewaters

The protective gear also seemed to be a common theme - they seemed to think it was comical or absurd, which is odd, considering I've never heard anyone from overseas complain about the gear worn in hockey.
Because Ice Hockey looks (and I am sure is) really dangerous.

*As in a lot.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 15-Dec-2008 at 02:55
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 03:30
The equipment doesn't seem to hamper players at all. It only protects the players out there, and I think it's worth it since there are still alot of injuries taking players out of the game(They should make better gun safties too for the football playersTongue).
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 03:37
Exactly in all the games I've seen the gear doesn't slow 'em down a bit

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 06:56
But the people who are inclined to want to play a game like gridiron in pads are even more inclined to play a different, less physical, sport and the people who do want to play a physical sport don't want to play it in pads.

How did america manage to breed enough tough guys that are afraid of getting hurt to make gridiron popular?
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 12:53
Most people I've talked to regarding american sports seem too find American Football and Baseball to complicated and methodic to get any enjoyment out of it. They seem to believe there is a lot of tactic and force rather than inspiration and talent involved in it (which I'm sure is not entirely true).  

Another explanation, besides lack of publicy for thee sports (other than Hollywood), and very likely, in my view, is the lack of equipment for younger children to practice. For football (soccer), rugby and basketball all you need is the ball itself, no other apparel (it should be noticed that I don't believe cricket is that popular ouside the U.K. as well, probably for the same reasons). Once you start playing as a kid, there's not much turning to other sports.  

All the time. The hard part is takling the ball from the player without touching him. Wink
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 13:27
American Football is tedious to watch because of the frequent break-offs each time someone gets ganged up on, which is like every 2 seconds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>