Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medievalists.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orderic Vitalis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medievalists.net
    Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 04:11
Medievalists.net - Where the Middle Ages Begins - Hello everyone, I wanted to let you know that I have set up a new website that focuses on the Middle Ages. It will give you information on new books (historical and fictional), articles, videos, lectures, news, music, and more when its related to the Middle Ages. For example, we are setting up a section where we will link to all academic articles related to the Middle Ages that are available online (so far, we have 300 or so posted already, with hundreds more to go). The site is going to become very large, and I hope you will find it useful, regardless if you are a scholar, or just interested in medieval society.
Visit our site www.medievalists.net for articles, videos and more about the Middle Ages
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 04:17
I had a brief look around Orderic. It looks splendid, and I joined the facebook group Smile
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 04:39
Yes what an asset this will be for the medievalist. Also joined the facebook group
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 18:31
Sounds great - but where do you count "Medieval" from? Do you include "late antiquity" - Charglemane, Harun-Al-Rashid, Heraclius, etc?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 19:34
Medieval spans from late antiquity - generally from 6th ct. onwards. And of course these lines aren't rigid. 
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 20:08
6th century? That's a little bit early for me - Justianian in the 6th century re-codified Byzantine law to take on a Hadriannic feel, and many areas were still practicing Greek paganism and non-abrahamic religions. For much of the 5th century, Latin was still spoken in the Byzantine empire, and culturally, they were far closer to the Rome of antiquity that the Rome of, say, Urban III, Alexander VI or other famous medieval popes. I'd have to say from the Arab conquests (which I mark as properly kicking off at the battle of Yarmuk in 636). The crowning of Charlemaine by Leo III in 800 AD and his rescue of pope Hadrian against the Lomard King in Pavia, Desiderius, could be considered a starting point, but I prefer the breakup of the three kingdoms of Charlemaine's sons - Lothar, Charles the Bald and Louis the German - and the succession of the Ottonian dynasty in the 8th-9th centuries, as when looking at a political map of the period, the political boundaries of Europe in the medieval period are still begining to take place. One can't just say that the medieval period begins as soon as Romulus Augustulus is deposed by Odracer in 476 AD - it's not that overt - I believe it would have to be in a period that was post-Heracliean, Abbasid and Ottonian for us to consider it "medieval" - I'm thinking about 850-900 AD

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 13-Dec-2008 at 20:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 20:16
It is a point of reference, and like I said a bit fluid. 
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 20:21
This is a great site - I added it to my favourites list and will take a read from time to time...
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 04:10
Thank you for the support! In terms of what falls into the Middle Ages, in our site it is roughly the years 400 to 1500, but it really varies depending on area too. For example, it is somewhat traditional for medieval era for Hungary to extend to 1526; in Japan the medieval era goes up to 1603 (and some would argue it goes up until the Meiji Restoration). Meanwhile, I classify China's medieval era to begin with the Later Han Dynasty, which is begins at AD 25 - this is partly done so I could talk about Romance of the Three Kingdoms on the site. Overall, it is an issue I will be rather vague about (and you might have noticed that our little tag line "Where the Middle Ages Begins" is a bit of a pun with all of this).
Visit our site www.medievalists.net for articles, videos and more about the Middle Ages
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 15:32

Some might even say that the whole idea of the "medieval" Period is obselete - the idea that there is a period of non-progress and ignorance between the end of the classical era and the begining of the modern has to be re-evaluated. I'd question whether it's a viable term to even use!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 16:41
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

Some might even say that the whole idea of the "medieval" Period is obselete - the idea that there is a period of non-progress and ignorance between the end of the classical era and the begining of the modern has to be re-evaluated. I'd question whether it's a viable term to even use!

I am a medievalist and it is obsolete. It is there for categorical purposes. Just as Classical Era, etc... It is a point of reference, and the term stuck, thus it has been retained for that purpose in the field. Similar to Byzantium, it is clear no Eastern Roman ever called himself that, and we still use it as a point of reference.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 17:26
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

I am a medievalist and it is obsolete. It is there for categorical purposes. Just as Classical Era, etc... It is a point of reference, and the term stuck, thus it has been retained for that purpose in the field. Similar to Byzantium, it is clear no Eastern Roman ever called himself that, and we still use it as a point of reference.

I wasn't saying that the period itself and its contents are obselete - far from it, but the division between Medieval and Classical/Modern does seem to be far more questionable and debateable than other such historical inventions. I guess it's helpful - well, if it's still helpfull to you guys then fair enough...I just enjoy being picky! Smile
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 04:12
I have been noticing that scholars are now doing a lot of research that looks at periods like 1400 to 1800, or 1200-1700, so the idea of a medieval period for them seems old fashioned.   Since my first post, we did some updates on the site, including posting the video of a recent British TV series on the conflict between Islam and Christendom - it is called After Rome: Holy War and Conquest. We also posted some articles on medieval medicine and updated the News for Medievalists blog.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 04:33
I watched the crusades series with Terry Jones, though didn't watch the last episode because I didn't want to install veoh. Keep up the good work, I will continue to check the site from time to time.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2009 at 02:40
I just want to update you on what we have recently added to the site:

Interview with Tommaso di Carpegna

We interview the author of The Man Who Believe He Was King of France: A True Medieval Tale about how he came across this fascinating tale of a 14th century Italian merchant who believed he was the true heir to the French crown.

Pasque di sangue: Ebrei d’Europa e omicidi rituali

In 2007, Ariel Toaff published his book on the Jewish community of Europe in the Middle Ages.  We take a look at the storm of controversy it created.

Interview with Vicki Ellen Szabo

Szabo’s latest book Monstrous Fishes and the Mead-Dark Sea: Whaling in the Medieval North Atlantic, examines a topic rarely dealt with by medieval historians.  We talk with her about her research on whales during the Middle Ages

Travel Guide to Carcassonne

Our first travel guide, we offer information, videos and links about what to see at this city in Southern France, famous for its historical beauty and its role in the Albigensian Crusades

Medieval Video Games

We profile three recent releases of video games inspired by the Middle Ages:Stonghold Crusader ExtremeMurder in the Abbey, and Europa Universalis III: In Nomine

We are now up to 400 articles, and 20 videos.  I keep updating the site almost everyday - today I added a couple of articles from some obscure journal by historians in Georgia (the state, not the country)

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2009 at 04:47
More updates to the website:

International Congress on Medieval Studies

In May 2009, Western Michigan University will be holding the 44th edition of this congress.  We have set up a special section on the congress, the largest academic conference of medievalists.

L’Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland

We profile the only known Viking settlement in North America

Interview with Nancy Marie Brown

The Middle Ages in HD

High Definition video is another new technology with potential benefits to medievalists.

Interview with Conor Kostick

We interview the author of The Social Structure of the First Crusade
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2009 at 08:33
Lol! Conor Kostick is my teacher, I've had him all year for the Crusades. Great guy.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2009 at 15:58
I just wanted to let you know that we have now started adding videos to our site - mostly interviews we shot at the International Congress on Medieval Studies, that was held earlier this month.  You can find them find them at our Youtube channel, and on the main Medievalists.net website too.  We are up to 650 articles on the site as well.
bod View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote bod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2009 at 19:47
I have just had a look at your site, there looks to be some great articals.

Thank you.Thumbs Up
caocao View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote caocao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 17:28
I just want to let everyone know that we have reached our first anniversary of our website - we now have over 1250 posts on our site, including 900 articles, and a couple dozen interviews with scholars, bloggers and writers.  One of our recent features is on the publication of a 15th century manuscript by a mariner from Venice. We also have a feature on the Bayeux Tapestry, which has several articles and videos.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>