Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your most exciting Adventure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your most exciting Adventure
    Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 09:01
Hello to you all

Have you ever done a stunt or an adventure that was exciting and you will never forget?

could you share your experience.

AL-Jassas
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 09:44
Nothing too exciting, but I don't think I'll ever stop telling the story of catching a pro-pickpocket in the act of trying to nick my camera in Xi'an. (I stopped them from taking it but didn't get the person who did it)
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 12:43
I went drinking at an agricultural show with a mate when I was 16 on a school trip. Quite the adventure. Was insanely drunk and got shit load of abuse on the bus on the way back (My mate passed out in the front of the bus, while I was all energy at the back) Got back to school about 6 on the bus and my dad and the vice principal was there waiting for me. You can imagine the conclusion to this tale!
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 13:54
They congratulated you on becoming a good Irishman?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 16:13
adventure? exciting? ermm... no.. not really..nothing..
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 17:49

Hello to you all

Well my most exciting adventures happened many moons ago when I was 12. Then I loved climing mountains and hills. We were in the west of the country where there are quite high mountains (In Taif near Mecca). Those mountains have shear drops with some of the best majestic views one could see. I decided to go down to where one of those drops were and when I was quite close I slipped and started sliding and had I not managed to clutch a tree branch I might have dropped some 500 m down. What was worse it was going to rain and this mean I might not be able to climb back. It was so terrifying I never climbed again.

AL-Jassas
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 18:05
Originally posted by Parnell

I went drinking at an agricultural show with a mate when I was 16 on a school trip. Quite the adventure. Was insanely drunk and got shit load of abuse on the bus on the way back (My mate passed out in the front of the bus, while I was all energy at the back) Got back to school about 6 on the bus and my dad and the vice principal was there waiting for me. You can imagine the conclusion to this tale!

That is the Puffin version if ever there was one! Mr.Parnell and a friend of his decided to drink lots of alcohol on the bus up to the agricultural show, even though barely everyone else was drinking (being a trip to an agricultural show at 16). At the show, full of children, students and normal people alike, both proceeded to puke up all over the place, give abuse, fall over and generally make a fool out of the school. Then on the bus back they couldn't really be disciplined because the teacher in charge was also half-cut, owing to being a bum.

If Parnell wishes, he could tell you lots more about what happened (the bag full of cans, the non-uniform malarky etc etc), but he mightn't be over it yet...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 18:11
Well, my more exciting adventure was during the military coup on my country.
The military were entering homes, and dad have a couple of guns at home. He was afraid about been catched with them and send to those concentration camps, and he didn't know what to do. I convinced him to hide them under a pile of metals we got at home. I watched the militaries by a back mirror of our car while dad hide the guns.

At the end, the militaries inspected the home but they didn't find anything.

Edited by pinguin - 03-Dec-2008 at 18:12
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 19:18
That night walk by forest was the most terrifying (each second I was feeling my soul pressed by an enormous fear) but as a more dramatic experience was the taking part in the 1989 Revolution. I was where the first events took place in Bucharest and the first dead fallen just near me in the evening of 21 December, crushed by a military vehicle or hitten by bullets. When the army started to shoot in the crowd I felt fear for my life and entered in a building. That night I spent in the Dalles building, hidden in the appartment by a generous unknown person. Dalles building was just near the baricade were the heroes fought most of the night lenght. From the balcony I watched all the events, tanks entering in crowd, soldiers shooting in people, cars exploding etc. After 22 December (when the Communist power fallen) I spent another nights in hot places (like National Television), some bullets hiting the walls at centimeters of me.

I was 17.

Edited by Menumorut - 03-Dec-2008 at 20:02

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 20:18
The nuttiest thing I ever did was in 1957 after Picture Post closed and I worked out the summer for the old Sunday Graphic. I got sent on a story about Sandhurst carrying out joint manoeuvres with St Cyr, as part of which the Sandhurst cadets did a parachute drop on St Cyr.

I went on one of the planes (an RAF Hastings). Being an RAF plane everyone on it had to wear a parachute, so they strapped one on me. Inside, the plane had a row of wooden benches lining each side of the fuselage on which the parachutists sat. Closing in on the drop zone they of course got up, the side doors were opened up and a sergeant suggested I could get a good view of the drop if I laid on my stomach along the bench, looking out the door at the chutes doing down.

For some reason I took this seriously, and did just that. And then I realised I had to grip on the end of the bench for dear life, while looking straight down some thousands (I guess) of feet.

And, while, yes, I had a parachute on, it was a static line chute, the other end of the static line wasn't attached to anything.

When I think about it I still can't believe I was that stupid.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2008 at 22:51
Well, rationally the most exciting stuff that happened to me should be that one night the bakery downstairs was bombed by mobsters (you know explosion, police, firemen, etc) but I was sleeping the whole time, nothing could wake me up not even... a bomb in the building.

So the most exciting stuff that happened to me while conscious occurred as one day I was helping a police officer to arrest a woman who later turned out to be a man. Anyway we were struggling when the police officer grabbed his gun to do who knows what and I someway found myself on the wrong end of the gun. Fear at its purest. So I let the guys wrestling between themselves and left the field.

Since I strictly oppose 1. my own involvement in police business 2. gun ownership 3. gun ownership for cops who are not fighting armed vilains
I am a free donkey!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 00:14
When I was in college I took a summer job as night manager in a convenience store near my family's home.The company rule was after 11:00 no one was to be scheduled alone overnight.  My support called out and I was in the process of calling someone to fill in when a man walked in and stuck an Army Colt, automatic, Cal. 45 about 2" from my nose.  Needless to say, I gave him all the cash in the drawer.

Edited by red clay - 04-Dec-2008 at 00:15
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 00:46
Last year on Labor Day I was in Oaxaca, a city in the south of Mexico. The year before there had been a big protest against the governor Ulises Ruiz. The protests started as an ordinary teachers strike, which is extremely common in Mexico, but after the police cracked down on it violently it turned into a mass popular protest. A protest movement, the APPO was founded, which took the center of Oaxaca City. Some other town centers were occupied as well by protesters, and in the fights several dozens of people were killed.The protests ended when in december the federal police moved in. 200 people were arrested (of which 180 had nothing to do with the protest), many of which where tortured afterwards. So obviously Ruiz is not a person you want to have troubles with. He probably rigged the election in which he was elected as well, has shut down opposition newspapers and even is accused of organizing death squads.

Anyway, so I was in Oaxaca City on the first of May. In the morning there was a manifestation of the CTM, the official, powerless labor union, which ended about noon and shortly afterwards the APPO moved in, shouting anti-Ruiz slogans, singing revolutionary songs and putting graffiti all over the place (including pictures of Stalin). At about four O'Clock they left.

In the evening I was on the Zócalo, the central square again, when I saw people grouping together in one of the corners of the square. I wanted to know what happened, and it appeared that Ulises Ruiz was honoring the square with a visit. He was making a 'spontaneous' walk, talking with people 'coincidentally' passing by. It was obviously a very bad piece of political theatre. At all the corners of the square where policemen and he was also followed by two photographers and a cameraman. 'Coincidentally' he encountered two people in wheelchairs who asked him a favor (and of course he would be doing whatever he could to grant them their wish) and there even was a little girl giving him a picture.

It was clearly visible that which people where his friends or in any case hired by the state government and which one where real bystanders, because there was a gap of several meters between his cronies and real bystanders. So I walked a bit closer to his clique to make some pictures, which visibily annoyed him (I've made a movie with my photocamera in which he is making a phonecall. Suddenly he notices me and looks angrily in my direction, unfortunately it's too big to upload) Shortly afterwards one of his photographers suddenly walked towards me, took three pictures of my face and went away.

It may sound like a minor incident now, but at that moment I was really frightned. At that moment there was a politican that has killed opponents that didn't like me and had my picture. In any case the man is clearly paranoid, and considering his exagerrated reaction to such a minor incident it's no suprise the situation escalated that badly in 2006. Just to be safe I decided to tear up and throw away all APPO propaganda I collected earlier that day (which included a leaflet denoucing someone who had deserted the movement: "If you see him, kill him").

Three days later I awoke because an earthquake hit the city. That was pretty frightening too (although it was my second one and only 5,4 on the Richter schale, and the first one was much stronnger, 6,3, but that was at home in Mexico City and in the evening). I tried to hide under the bed, but that was not possible and I scratched my arm trying. Earthquakes are pretty cool though.

So overall that was a pretty cool stay. At least I can brag now that I am on a political hit list and have been injured in a natural disaster.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 00:47
I never had a gun stuck in my face, but aside from that, Oh Boy - I wouldn't know where to start... But here is a small selection from my early years - as excerpts....

- I got beat up and jailed trying to save a girl from being raped....
- I fainted while piloting a Cessna 172....
- I knocked the captain down when I was a sailor...
- Rescuing three germans in stormy sea... (never trust Germans with anything that floats)

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 13:27
Rescuing three germans in stormy sea... (never trust Germans with anything that floats)

True, considering Germany's greatest naval success, is the U-Boat a vehicle by it's very design sinks....
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 18:43
Actually Germany has a decent naval tradition. And her mariners in war were always good.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 18:47
Fighting on the barricades at Brokdorf and Grohnde (Nuclear Power Plants) in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
1976 Berlin, Meinhof Demo, Cafe Kranzler
Brokdorf-Demo

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 18:20
Wow! I am not really impressed except for a few! I actually had to walk to school! I actually had to pay 5cents for a Coke!

I actually had to do a lot of things that one could not pay me to do today!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply