Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Election 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Lipovan87 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lipovan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Election 2008
    Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 16:44
What I am seeing is that Americans are too blinded by race to look at his actual policies and those of his vice president. It is a bit easier to retain clarity as an immigrant.

What does the color of his skin matter in the middle of a war? What does the ethnicity of his father and grandmother matter while he must decide on policies?

Not much.

His ideas and associations are with the fanatical fringe of the Democratic Party and the Left.  Joseph Biden's bitter legacy for Eastern Europe is troubling and his lack of vision in the current terror crisis is worrying for Western Europe. People disregard his actual ties and people around him for the lofty (and vague) rhetoric of change.

These will be a bitter four years.
Human error is a certainty, the location of it is not.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 16:54
Thats an argument that the right loves to pull - that people only voted for him because he's black. Its unfair. I wouldn't have voted for Alan Keyes for example.

In reality, Obama has offered Liberalism a pretty face once again. Thats were most of the excitement is (From Europeans), not solely his race.
Lipovan87 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Lipovan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 16:57
The ideological motives are primary but his ability to offer a triumph over supposed racism is another major draw. The effect is the most powerful when they are combined.

You would never have voted for Alan Keyes because you disagree with him and because he never implied that voting for him would absolve people of past racial guilt.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 17:20
And Obama for all!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 19:02
Originally posted by Lipovan87

The ideological motives are primary but his ability to offer a triumph over supposed racism is another major draw. The effect is the most powerful when they are combined.

You would never have voted for Alan Keyes because you disagree with him and because he never implied that voting for him would absolve people of past racial guilt.

Isn't that the same for Obama? People who think voting for an African-American is necessary to absolve the country of past racial guilt (who I don't think are very numerous anyway) are probably voting Democratic anyway. Just as people who won't vote for African-Americans because of their race wil never vote Democratic anyway.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 19:25
Originally posted by Seko

I liked John McCain's concession speech. He showed class and is game for helping the new administration out. Congrats to him.

completely agree, was a nice move. i also liked Obamas speech.

i also want to congratulate Americans, irregardless of who you voted for because so many participated. if anything, the elections helped big time to raise the political consciousness of Americans. that was a big blow to anyone who thought America has entered the phase of decline already, i think America will emerge stronger now. i mean OK, i don't think there will be fundamental changes and there will still be wars. and i also hope that Obama can fullfill many of his promisses and not dissapoint the many folks that he managed to mobilize, that would be a huge blow. and the task is certainly big, given the problems created by the current administration.  but anyways i hope this will become the starting point for a new, modern and fresh USA.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 20:44
A first movie by Oliver_Stone

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 02:09

What I am seeing is that Americans are too blinded by race to look at his actual policies and those of his vice president. It is a bit easier to retain clarity as an immigrant.

What does the color of his skin matter in the middle of a war? What does the ethnicity of his father and grandmother matter while he must decide on policies?

Not much.

His ideas and associations are with the fanatical fringe of the Democratic Party and the Left.  Joseph Biden's bitter legacy for Eastern Europe is troubling and his lack of vision in the current terror crisis is worrying for Western Europe. People disregard his actual ties and people around him for the lofty (and vague) rhetoric of change.

These will be a bitter four years.

bla bla bla pretty much
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 02:35

What I am seeing is that Americans are too blinded by race to look at his actual policies and those of his vice president. It is a bit easier to retain clarity as an immigrant. What does the color of his skin matter in the middle of a war? What does the ethnicity of his father and grandmother matter while he must decide on policies?Not much.His ideas and associations are with the fanatical fringe of the Democratic Party and the Left.  Joseph Biden's bitter legacy for Eastern Europe is troubling and his lack of vision in the current terror crisis is worrying for Western Europe. People disregard his actual ties and people around him for the lofty (and vague) rhetoric of change.These will be a bitter four years.

Eh, the bitter years are about to be over. And those were the bitter years that a small group of right wing extremists who took over the GOP brought to this nation.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 03:21
I have been very quiet for the past 48. I haven't posted any comment on politics here or anywhere else. I guess now is the time to start talking about this again.

Obama won the U.S. presidency election.

History seldom gives us a clear point when major historical events or shifts happen. In most cases the change can only be identified years after it occurred. That is one of the reasons why we who like history are drawn towards battles and wars: they give clear points to guide our explorations of the past.

Yesterday's election is one of those few moments where we are given a clear point that marks a major historical shift.

Most foreigners don't understand the race problem in the U.S. I surely didn't understand it when I came back to the country in 1994. We are all humans, and dividing people into artificial categories seemed arbitrary.

Yet the race issue in the U.S. is a central theme, a central core of the nation. The nation was created with great talks about human equality, yet slavery had to be incorporated into the U.S. constitution. The same people who wrote eloquent pieces on the equality of people owned slaves.

Internally, this tension lead to the Civil War. After the Civil War, the tensions continued through segregation laws. Challenging these laws lead to the Civil Rights movement of the 50s and 60s. And a big component of the emergence of the dominance of the Republican Party for the last 30 years was a push back to the civil right gains from the 60s when the GOP absorbed the segregationists.

Obama winning the election is the U.S. equivalent of having the Berlin wall fall. It is a reconciliation with its former racist past. It is the clear moment when the best values of the U.S. clearly overcame the worst, when the nation became consistent with itself. And it did so in that peculiar American way: through a long social process without having to resort to violence.

In many ways, the U.S. Civil war kept on being waged since 1865 through the black. In a sense, thanks to this election, we could say that the U.S. Civil War is finally over.
Lipovan87 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Lipovan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 06:09
Speaking as an immigrant from the Balkans, I see nothing so dramatic.

The founders certainly saw the disparity but the ethnic upheavals were too much to risk for Southern states to risk abolishing slavery. You may ask why some people did not free their slaves? The state laws made emancipation contingent on providing them property. The owners did not want to lose their physical property while freeing people.

The larger problem was the effect of large numbers of people who did not identify with the society being granted freedom and rights. The vast differences in identity and perspective made the hegemony needed for government impossible to achieve without some form of repression. Northerners who were not in the danger zone would urge emancipation and Southerners who feared another Haiti resisted it.

Eventually, the legal question of jurisdiction was the question that cut the frayed ties between the two regions and war emerged. Slavery was one issue among many (albeit important to some). The brutality of ethnic strife in the aftermath of the Civil War left American Blacks (thought the group can hardly be considered a race but an ethnic group given that Nigerians, Cameroonians, and others try to resist assimilation into it ) dependent  on the federal government who abandoned them after Reconstruction ended.

The massive changed after the 1900's with industrialization and a rising Black entrepreneurial spirit saw waves of migration to the North. These migrants formed a separate Black culture of striving and assimilation into Northern society. The difference between them and Southern Blacks was stark and set the two at odds.

Eventually, the more vehement and less intellectual of Southern Black culture used the aftermath of the Civil Rights movement to resist previous cultural pressure to assimilate to larger norms of life and created a pride in the new "ghetto" life. Those bad attitudes and habits became hardened by the refusal to look upon criticism as anything other than racism.

The result was that a few privileged Black families became the elite of Black society while millions of others were left without a higher standard to motivate them. The older generations who had achieved so much of the "first Black to... " were ignored due to their supposed "selling out" to a racist wider society.

The result was the collapse of civilized life in a large number of neighborhoods and the assumption by many middle-class Black youth that crime, savagery, and mysterious victimhood were the hallmarks of the Black identity.

The problem is that the guilt used to destroy institutionalized segregation has been used to defend the indefensible breakdown in civilized values and standards. It should be a point of shame that I feel safer walking down the street in contested parts of the Balkans than when I walked home in the Black part of Washington DC. That guild has been wrongly nurtured to the point why remission from that guilt has become the reason why no one confronted the likes of Marion Barry or the intellectual failures of Afro-centric education.

This is not the Berlin wall. This is hope that ethnic strife will end by proving your own lack of racism. That may help sooth emotions but it will not help run a country.
Lipovan87 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Lipovan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 06:13
The bitter years are not over. He only recently (in March) declared that Kosovo protected the rights of minorities just weeks after the news of the KLA kidnapping people for their organs broke. Please note that Romanian citizens were among the murdered.

A man who defends the people who did that and who praises the ICTY when the Chief Prosecutor tried to stop the Macedonian police from excavating a mass grave of Macedonian civilians is not a man who can be trusted with government.

The contentious point of withdrawal from Iraq is likely to be worsened by Biden's public support for partitioning Iraq.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 11:27

Speaking as an immigrant from the Balkans, I see nothing so dramatic.
That's probably why you don't see anything dramatic. Where were you when the troops were called out in Alabama because a black girl was admitted to a white university?

Though I agree that Obama's colour is less important for practical politics than his views. And if only this election marks the end of America's obsession with fundamentalism, religious and political, and the end of the vision of Hollywood America, that will be of greater significance for the US and the rest of us too.

It worries me though to see and hear people claiming that this demonstrates how great a nation America is. It doesn't. Hopefully it is a sign that the US is finally catching up.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 16:12
Originally posted by hugoestr

Obama winning the election is the U.S. equivalent of having the Berlin wall fall. 

i heard this comparison before but it's totally not a good comparison at all.

also i cannot really share this race hype. i mean if we look closer he is not 100% black and he does have no connection to those Afro-Americans since his father is from Kenya and not descends from former slaves. but maybe that's just me.

a good comparison would be a Turk becoming Chancellor in Germany.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 16:40
I think this election was a disgrace. Discrimination in the US is far from over. Americans discriminated against handicapped people by voting against IQ-defected Palin.

Jokes aside, let's not blow this thing out of proportion. To the people who say that racism in the US is over, remember this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MpE6ljPjSAk
Redneck woman: 'Obama is an arab'
McCain: 'No he's not, he's a decent family man, a citizen'

By the way, why do the mods allow Lipovan87 to post as he is obviously a recently banned wiki-nationalist (Romanian teen in US, obsessed with KLA, fascist political views- how many such people live in the US and come to AE right after one disappears)? I thought it was not allowed to return with a new nick after a ban? Have your rules changed again or what?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 18:15
Obama is black???
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 18:49
He's black-and-white. That's how he got the law-and-order vote.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 19:20
He's brown???
Lipovan87 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Lipovan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 23:19
He has a mixed pigment but he chose a "Black" identity.

Americans seem to think that their ethnic disputes are "racial" due to some misplaced sense of universalism. The hatreds and fears were not of "Blacks" or "Whites" but of their neighbors. Few Whites feared Nigerian Ibos and few Blacks feared Armenians.
Lipovan87 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Lipovan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 23:22
I am unaware of any previous people getting banned but I am not one of them. If you record it, check my IP address for confirmation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>