Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who was to blame for WW1?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: Same as title.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [39.71%]
31 [45.59%]
8 [11.76%]
2 [2.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RED GUARD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who was to blame for WW1?
    Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 16:17

I'd say Austria-Hungary, they'er the ones who occupied Bosina which led to the assination of Archduke Ferdinard.
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 19:23

i think its Germany, but technally, it was no1s fault. it was a ticking time bomb, it was going to happen anways

Reason for germany:

3rd country industrilized, think its top dog in europe

wrote "black chaek" for X ammout of money

willing to back up austra-hungry no matter what

Fighting pretty much everyone, 2 front war

True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Bosnjo View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Bosnjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 19:40

Originally posted by RED GUARD

I'd say Austria-Hungary, they'er the ones who occupied Bosina which led to the assination of Archduke Ferdinard.

The case is much more complicated, we Bosnians loved the Austro-Hungarian Empire. After the Assasination we constructed a Monument for Ferdinand, (on this place, Serbian Forces killed  40 Bosnians with rockets in the 90s)

Yes we fought each other, their 1. Occupation atempt  failed because our 10 000 defeated their 40 000 men, but 2. Time they defeated our army 1878 .

Then they let us be nearly 100% independant they defeated us but they made from us a Ally (probably to end the Guerilla-war),  we was selfruled he had our Sultan, our own Laws,  own Units in the Army... we profited much from their know-how, so that our country gots industrialised.

Bosnians are mainly Muslim, the Serbs were like today a minority.

The damn Extremist of Crna Ruka/Black Hand, wanted to establish a pan-Slavian Empire (Slavians are nearly all Eastern-Europeans, they have similar languages, e.g. I can understand Russians).

The Austro-Hungary was a threat for them not only because they occupated Slavian Countries, no they were loved by the most Slavians, so they had to destroy the Austro-Hungary.

After the End of WW 1. they reached some of their Aims, the most Slavian Countries which was "occupated" war independent but only in the South-Europe, t Slavians were united, Yugoslawia was born what means South-Slawia.

And guess who was the Leader of this country?    The Serbian King!

Edited by Bosnjo
I am heavely armed, entirely sick and extremly nationalistic.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 19:54
I don't think you can blame a single country for WW1. The major powers of Europe had become so entrenched in their systems of alliances that the slightest excuse could set the whole thing off . There were warmongerers on all sides and there seemed to habe been great enthusiasm for general slaughter all round. I read a quote once that said something like that: "in the end it was just easier to go to war than not to" or similar.
Anyway, for the best ever and most profound analysis of WW1 watch "Blackadder goes forth", if you get the chance. It explains everything:

Blackadder: 'We've been sitting here since Christmas 1914, during which time millions of men have died, and we've moved no further than an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping.'

Blackadder: For us, the Great War is finito, a war which would be a damn sight simpler if we just stayed in England and shot fifty thousand of our men a week.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 20:08
i would say the of the ones put up there the Austria-hugary are the most at fault
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 21:27
I believe that wars are always the fault of the enemy.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 12:39
I dont think its right to blame one country on starting the first world war.Germany and Britain were growing in power they needed resources.They started making guns and ships and they were looking for an excuse to start a war.(though I do think the Ottoman's should have stayed neutral)
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
druidebaron.nl View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote druidebaron.nl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 18:14
All of them. All the big powers had aggressive war plans and thought it would be a nice short war, like in 1870. Everybody forgot the extremely bloody wars like the American Civil War and Russian-Japanese war of 1905. Esspecially the war between Russia and Japan had all the ingredients of WWI: machine guns, trenches etc.   
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 19:03
Like others already said: all of them. At least all the main powers, some smaller countries (like Belgium) were dragged in involuntarily
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 19:24
no one was to blame. Europe was a powerder Keg and all it needed was one small spark to set it off. There were two huge military alliances and that only means trouble. No group was was all good and never caused a problem to lead up to WW1
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 20:25
Originally posted by Illuminati

no one was to blame. Europe was a powerder Keg and all it needed was
one small spark to set it off. There were two huge military alliances
and that only means trouble. No group was was all good and never caused
a problem to lead up to WW1

exactly, they are all to blame
"No group was was all good and never caused a problem to lead up to WW1"
you said it right there
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
Cassivellaunus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 23:04

We could blame Britain for starting an arms race with Germany.

Or we could blame Serbia for killing Archduke Ferdi and his wife.

Or we could blame Bosnia for having Serbia as a state.

Or we could blame Austria for declaring war on Serbia.

Or we could blame Germany for egging everyone on.

Or we could blame France for giving Germany a reason to do this.

Or we can focus on a more general picture like blaming the extremists: the nationalists, the imperialists, the militarists, the expansionalists...

Take your pick, if you're still determined to blame a single faction.

Edited by Cassivellaunus
"Why do you cower in your trenches, men? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
- Last words of General John Sedgewick
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 00:59
I think there was a reason in why so much blame was put on Germany: because it was Germany who brought the war to full scale by declaring war on Russia and France.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 02:15
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I think there was a reason in why so much blame was put on Germany:
because it was Germany who brought the war to full scale by declaring
war on Russia and France.

I think the main reason in why so much blame was put on Germany is that they lost.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Knight
Knight

Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 10:39

Originally posted by Komnenos

I think the main reason in why so much blame was put on Germany is that they lost.

Very true. History is written by the victors after all...

"Why do you cower in your trenches, men? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
Aquila View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Aquila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 12:47
Although the Austrian-Hungarian Empire was quite oppressive to the Serbians, they shot the King to be.
Aquila©2004 Victor Chevalier
Riain View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Riain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 15:41
IN addition to losing Germany was a revisionist power who wanted to change the status quo, thus culpable in the eyes of those who wanted no change and eventually won.
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 15:47
Originally posted by Cassivellaunus

We could blame Britain for starting an arms race with Germany.

Or we could blame Serbia for killing Archduke Ferdi and his wife.

Or we could blame Bosnia for having Serbia as a state.

Or we could blame Austria for declaring war on Serbia.

Or we could blame Germany for egging everyone on.

Or we could blame France for giving Germany a reason to do this.

Or we can focus on a more general picture like blaming the extremists: the nationalists, the imperialists, the militarists, the expansionalists...

Take your pick, if you're still determined to blame a single faction.

no im not. i never have been. i just think that one of them was to blame the most (i wonder which one it really is. i think austria-hungary, at least of those he put up there)

Edited by white dragon
Knight
Knight

Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 16:54

Who to blame the most? Same thing, really, although Germany did take the war much further than Austria had probably expected when they declared it. That said, I still stand with what was stated earlier: no single country can be wholly blamed (with 'most' etc.).

Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 21:06
k thats your opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>