Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bravest people ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Antiochus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Antiochus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bravest people ever?
    Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 17:16
Spartans are in the top of my list, followed by Vikings and Japanese Samurai.
Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 02:01

I'd say

1. Spartans
  2. Celts
  3. Vikings
  4. Poles
  5. Turkic Tribes
  6. American Indians
  7. Huns
  8. Germanic Tribes
  9. Japanese
  10. The French

Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 12:32
Originally posted by Mosquito

For example at the battle of Albuera in Spain during napoleonic wars single regiment of polish lancers made thousands of brits run away. British officers reported that brigade of polish cavalry was attacking them while it were only about 500 lancers (1 regiment). Poles in this battle took 5 colors of british regiments.

Battle of Fungirola also in Spain, 1810, 300 polish infantry attacked 1200 british, 1000 foreign and another 1000 spanish soldiers who after night battle run away, captured british commander general Lord Blayney (his saber is still held in Poland) and all the british canons. Brits had also warship Rodney and 2 or 3 frigates which all together had over 100 canons. Polish captains Bronisz and Mlokosiewicz defeated british general and his army being outnumbered 10:1.

I only dont know why in the most of statistics the battle is counted as French victory while there were only Poles, 11 french husars and 2 polish officers playing the role of commanders.

C'mon! You can do better than that! If one or two battles alone were sufficient to prove a nation's cowardice, than the invasion of Poland by Germany in 1939 would leave the world with a poor impression of the Poles.

I asked for evidence of British cowardice! Not accounts of defeats, which every nation experiences (and it's very curious you should mention the Peninsular War, the one the Brits won after monstruous sieges and battles). Nothing in world history leads me to believe that the English, Welsh, Scottish (or indeed Irish) were ever cowards!

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 13:30

C'mon! You can do better than that! If one or two battles alone were sufficient to prove a nation's cowardice, than the invasion of Poland by Germany in 1939 would leave the world with a poor impression of the Poles.

I asked for evidence of British cowardice! Not accounts of defeats, which every nation experiences (and it's very curious you should mention the Peninsular War, the one the Brits won after monstruous sieges and battles). Nothing in world history leads me to believe that the English, Welsh, Scottish (or indeed Irish) were ever cowards!

So when someone outnumber his enemy 10:1 and flee from the battlefield leaving all the artillery and general in hands of enemy - he is not coward but he is damn brave?

As for 1939 polish campaign we Poles dont have to feel ashamed for it. We fought enemy who outnumbered us 2:1 in men and even more in the equipment and who attacked us from west, north and sought. And after 2 weeks we were attacked also from the east by even bigger army. We did everything what was possible in such harsh conditions.

I think here someone made the job and posted nice text about british bravery:

http://web2.airmail.net/napoleon/BRITISH_DEFEATS.html

Edited by Mosquito
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 06:36

Oh, the bravest were of course the vikings

And how is that, they avoided conventional combat most of the time and usually attacked  smooth targets like monasteries.  They were thoroughtly defeated by Robert Le Justicier in conventional combat at Chartre.

Bravery is a stupid term more fitting for an individual rather for an entire people, the more warlike you are the less likely you'll be brave, cunning is  appropriate term for warlike people. Unless you are some barbarians who just fight for the sake of fighting like the celts, without thinking much of objectives, glory etc. This I have a lot respect for that, fighting just for the sake of fighting is honourable.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 07:36
  1. turk
  2. arab
  3. british
  4. german
  5. russian
  6. japaneese
  7. mongol
  8. huns

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 07:42
i forget iraqi people in the historical election againest the terrorists when the brave iraqis were defy terror and kicked it off
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Ionian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ionian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 07:46
 martians
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 09:30
Indians
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 11:36
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

Oh, the bravest were of course the vikings

And how is that, they avoided conventional combat most of the time and usually attacked  smooth targets like monasteries.  They were thoroughtly defeated by Robert Le Justicier in conventional combat at Chartre.

Bravery is a stupid term more fitting for an individual rather for an entire people, the more warlike you are the less likely you'll be brave, cunning is  appropriate term for warlike people. Unless you are some barbarians who just fight for the sake of fighting like the celts, without thinking much of objectives, glory etc. This I have a lot respect for that, fighting just for the sake of fighting is honourable.

They sailed in stormy seas with their small boats all the way to America

That recuires bravery.

MegaloIdea View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote MegaloIdea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 13:56
yeah,exept dey did it out of intentin
Drive them back to asia!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 15:59

Turks the bravest!!??? Is this a joke?Can you give me at least ONE example of your Turkish "bravery"?My opinion on the bravest people ever:

1. Hellines
  2. Celts
  3. Vikings
  4. Romans
  5. French
  6. Poles
  7. Scots
  8. Arabs

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 16:06
hahaha
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 20:29
Originally posted by The Hoplite

Turks the bravest!!??? Is this a joke?Can you give me at least ONE example of your Turkish "bravery"?My opinion on the bravest people ever/P]

1. Hellines

2. Celts

3. Vikings

4. Romans

5. French

6. Poles

7. Scots

8. Arabs

Poles after the French?! ouch...
personally I respect the ancietnr aces such as Romans and Spartans but I'd say after that number one goes tot he Slavic peoples.

Kazec View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kazec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 23:01
samurais...brave of seppuku?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 23:19

Well you cannot really attribute bravery as a collectively stable trait inherent in a people over dozens of generations. But lets make the best attempt we can. I reckon that for the early period the Spartans come out as the bravest. Records of their deeds at Thermopylae must be accepted as accurate when we consider how unbiased so much of the work of men like Herodotus (who freely admits the bravery of the Persians) is, as well as still recent archaeological excavations which actually uncovered a mass of arrowheads atop a small hill in the area (the Spartan's last stand around the fallen Leonidas). So knowing the battle occured and knowing the relative size of the two armies, it meant that the force of Spartans which constituted only one type of soldiery (heavy infantry) managed to hold off a combined-arms army which outnumbered it (almost incredibly) literally hundreds of times over. They fought to the last man. If you can provide me with a better example than this then do so but nothing else I have learnt about compares so well.

I think the Celts deserve a good mention, when one considers a nation as small as Scotland as never being conquered by its much larger southern neighbour (except for one generation by Edward I), then you have to give them credit. The English couldn't take Ireland the first time and only managed to do so once they were united with the Scots. And remember that from 1603 onwards Celts and Englishmen fought side by side. Though you could refer to certain regiments as Celtic (e.g. the Highlander corps), the British armies from this period must simply be defined as British. The Celtic and Anglo elements in Britain managed to hybridise surprisingly well to form a single national people. I don't think anyone can offer two defeats for an army which was not even entirely British and then call a nation of people who managed to bring a massive portion of the globe under their dominion and have proved their armies to be some of the most exceptional in the world over the past several centuries to be cowards. Look at the Zulu uprising in South Africa, a British garrison post of 200 men stood their ground against 10,000 Zulu warriors who then retreated purely through the bravery of the British soldiers. And any historian will confirm when I say the British armies in India battled enemies who also had their own advanced cavalry regiments, artillery crews and infantry corps well equipped with gunpower weaponary and rifles. Outnumbered almost always and faced with armies at no real technological disadvantage, historians attribute the incredible British success to the good discipline, firm organisation and steadfast resolution of the British armies on the one hand and relatively tolerant and capable administration on the other. Look at how small the island of Britain is, actually get out an atlas and take a look. From such a small land no race of cowards could possibly come to dominate so much of the world and leave such a massive legacy that affects each and every one of us today.

I think the Russians deserve the greatest credit for bravery in the first half of the 20th century. In WWI historians estimated that had the soldiers of any other European nation been fighting the experience of the Russian soldiers then the Eastern Front would have collapsed in mid-1915. The Russians in that war endured some of the most atrocious conditions possible, launching offensives on the East Front whenever the Western Front was being assaulted by the Germans and so critically sabotaging their plans. This fact is something the Russians do not get enough credit for. In WWII I could talk on and on about how brave the Russians were. Let me just skip past it to a simple generalization: the Russians were the foremost power responsible for winning WWII, the courage of their soldiery is some of the most exceptional in all history, and had it not been for their courage and tenacious valour I doubt the Allies would have come out on top.

member987 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote member987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 23:36
This is a very interesting topic. In my opinion, some of the bravest people ever were those who were willing to die without fighting back. These people quite often included religious groups like the Cathars when during the Albegensian Crusade, some were reported to have lept into the burning fires set for them by the Christian Militants, who sought to murder them as heretics.

Edited by member987
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 11:56
Everyone knows the bravest people lived on the Zanzibar island.
Vae victis!
Cassivellaunus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 17:11
The Atlanteans! May they Rest In Peace...
"Why do you cower in your trenches, men? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
- Last words of General John Sedgewick
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 17:45
Scanderbeg's soldiers at Kruja. No more then a few K beat off an army numbering nearly 100,000.

Actually I would have to say Spartans. Bred from birth to do battle. I mean cmon!

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>