Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the most powerful empire ever to grace us?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Poll Question: Wich empire could kill the rest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [15.09%]
20 [37.74%]
1 [1.89%]
3 [5.66%]
2 [3.77%]
3 [5.66%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [7.55%]
6 [11.32%]
4 [7.55%]
2 [3.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the most powerful empire ever to grace us?
    Posted: 02-Nov-2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by charlesbrough

If we look at our terms and clearify a few issues, it will be clear that the most powerful empire in the world is the secular one we now have.  It is more powerful in that it has the whole globe and is armed with 1500 to 2,000 nuclear warheads, and involves more people and land than any other empire in history.

As long as there is another strong nation/empire around it will never be: look at Russia and the rising China and India.
There was no colonial Empire strong enough as the British for long time, perhaps never. France was never such a strong colonial empire, neither the Dutch. Perhaps only the Spanish, but after the Spanish Armada was defeated, no one truly remained. Did the US won their enemies, no.

For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2008 at 20:45
Originally posted by Illirac

Indeed. But if you take in consideration, that some countries conquered by the Brits (like India) were not so behind and that movement was far more faster then in roman times, it ends that they did the same.

You can make some technological arguments about Indian sophistication, but they certainly weren't out building a global empire. In one category they were close (but no cigar!), in most others they were quite far behind at the time the Europeans colonized them. Also, the Romans faced a whole lot of groups who were "not so behind".

As far as "travel being faster" well of course there were technological factors behind British ascendance, but that's true of the Romans too. If you're going to index things to travel speeds, then you're probably going to have to go with the Inca or something since they didn't have horses (not to mention they were in the mountains).

Edited by edgewaters - 02-Nov-2008 at 20:46
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 16:42
You missed my point: what I wanted to state was that the British had the technology to build a global empire while the romans did not. With quinquereme, quadrireme and triremes you cannot sail through the Atlantic Ocean, those could go only along coasts.
I know nothing of Inca, Maya, Aztecs and those ones, so I cannot comment that.
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 13:09
Roman empire, for sure. At the begining of second century AD they defeated the last two powerful enemies around them ( Dacia and Parthia ), conquering as well large parts of their teritory ( including capitols ). At that moment Roman empire was invincible, the biggest power who existed on Earth, comparative to all who was before and after ( even until today ). Rome was the biggest city on Earth, and empire the most populated "state" ( comparable just with China in far  east ), and they was leaders in technology, administration, constructions, etc. And culturaly as well, dont forget that christianism was come to what is today with a big help and influence from romans, starting with Constantine the Great ( and even Galerius in a small part ).  As well, in my opinion, romans was leaders in military power first. Only ones close to them in such matters was China, but it was too far to know for sure ( even i believe in military terms Rome was for sure the strongest one ).
 China comes in second place, followed by british probably ( btw, most of the influence and spread of today english language is mostly because of US role after WW II, and globalization of economy lead by them, and not of GB itself ), fighting for this third place with mongols. However, we can mention too Persian empire and Caliphat for their both military power and cultural influence in a part of the world ( especialy the arab caliphate ), India, and pre-columbian empires for their areas in America.
charlesbrough View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote charlesbrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 15:00

As long as there is another strong nation/empire around it will never be: look at Russia and the rising China and India.

Of course!  Our greatest world empire is nearing its end.  Surely you recognize that even the biggest and grandest of them all cannot possibly last forever!  Somewhat over a mere 1/2 century is about the length of our own world empire, but all the rest were puny in size compared to it.

charles
http://atheistic-science.com
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 17:20

Somewhat over a mere 1/2 century is about the length of our own world empire, but all the rest were puny in size compared to it.

Reasons? = facts that make others puny compared to it?
charlesbrough View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote charlesbrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 20:13

Somewhat over a mere 1/2 century is about the length of our own world empire, but all the rest were puny in size compared to it.

Reasons? = facts that make others puny compared to it?

OK, I'll do my best!

On the assumption that we do not pay back what we borrowed in our balance of payments debt in somewhat comparable dollars and hence have levied a heavy tax on the rest of t world, thus making turning our "commonwealth" into, in  reality, an "empire," then it is the first one that encompasses the whole globe.   No nation has done that before.  Also, all the previous nations with empires had a less accurate understanding of cause and effect (science).   Ours encompasses more territory, more people and more science than any other. 

That leaves "culture" and this is the hard part.  I am a fan of our classical arts.  From my observations of the history of civilizations, all of them have had a great classical age of the arts.  This culture always flowered at the peak of the civilization: it marked it. Only later did they grow weak and become conquered. The classical arts were always idealistic.  I know the social science consensus likes Greek art because they were Caucasians also (!) and we learned from them, but there is not a single art that 17th to 19th century Europe did not excel in over the Greeks---even probably sulpture.

charles
http://atheistic science.com

IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 10:02
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I am not talking about the Britons, only about the Picts. And they did sustain their sovereignty in the face of continued Roman aggression. You are confusing the Picts with the Iceni revolt of Boudicca (it was actually the Iceni and Boudicca who destroyed Londinium, a Roman town in a part of non-Iceni Romano-British land). The Picts did prevail against the Romans, and retained their sovereignty.

Agreed I may be confusing Picts with the Iceni, and that Boudicca had the war with Rome. However, Londoniunium was established by Rome, including its name and that of Briton, and then destroyed by Rome, in its war with Boudecca, which Rome finally prevailed in.  Rome erazed two cities of Briton. Yes/no?

I believe most war historians would agree that Roman military power never stretched across to vast an area, or subdued to many people, or was established so quickly, as the Mongol Empire. That is why I say a historian can legitimately dispute that Rome never had a match for its military power.

But you will note I did say I think Rome was the greatest military power. But I also acknowledge that with a slightly different criteria of what military power was, that claim can be challenged.

Also you are wrong about China not being a match for Rome. The two nations never co-existed side by side geographically, but during the Warring States period a typical large fragment of China typically had 600,000 men under arms at any one time more than Rome could muster at the peak of her power. And that is only from 1/4 of the Chinese nation (in this example I am thinking of the states of Qin and Chu). And these were pretty decently equipped and commanded soldiers, who were easily replaceable in the instance of being killed.

There is a vast difference between the war strategy of Rome and the Mongols. Rome was a hi-tech sole super power for its time, and would have negated 10 Mongols. The enormity of the war of Rome with Judea is not adequately realised by most people, which is because this is suppressed [not even mentioned] in the Gospels or Quran, when this war was history's greatest, from the pov of time period, human toll, destruction and impact, and most of all its principle cause: the right to freedom of belief. If this war did not occur, the world would look very different today: no Christianity, no Islam, no Gospels, no Quran, no Palestine and no Al Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem today. Rome's entire decree of heresy being sustained hung on this war with its smallest conquered province. Modern history happened at this juncture.

I never claimed you said Judaea was a great power. But I did answer your claim that Jerusalem and Masada were somehow epically strong fortified towns, so if the Romans conquered them it must mean the Romans are the most advanced power of the day.

Yes, its fortification was impregnable, and its Temple was the biggest monument of the then world. In actual fact Rome did not win this war: there was no surrender - the reason Vespasian rejected the crown of victory ['No victory over those foresaken by their own Gd' - Vespasian]. The final straw which ended the war was a stray firebrand by a roman common soldier which lobbed in a giant oil Vat in the temple, where was housed its oil storage, igniting a fire which lasted many days, and which none could stop. This was seen as a mysterious divine hand. Rome finally just sat back and massacred all the people fleeing the fires. But there was no surrender in the Temple or in Masada.

The jews and freedom of belief won both Rome, and European Christianity which took on board Rome's Heresy doctrine - the Jews and Israel returned in tact - Rome is no more. This is the big picture. This is also why Israel is seen as an affront by the guilty parties today, ashamed because they did not stand up to Rome or the principle of freedom of belief.

Also I never claimed Jerusalem was conquered and destroyed often, only that it was simply conquered fairly often. Alexander's army didn't just ignore it twice when they conquered the Persian Empire, and the Seleucids obviously somehow managed to conquer the city if they spilled pigs' blood through the temple to offend the defeated Jews. So Jerusalem was conquered more often than a lot of cities in the ancient world (Athens and Alexandria both have better track records, as does Rome itself). Which refutes your claim that just because the Romans conquered Jerusalem, it must have made them the best conquerors ever.

Jerusalem is the most battled city in history, and also the most cherished real estate in the universe. The important factor is all those who desecrated this city are no more, and ths city is today in the rightful place of those who established, revered and owned this city more than any other. The problem confronting humanity is two relatively new religions are claiming this city out of blatant historical robbery, and now behaving their entire beliefs will collapse w/o Jerusalem. This is a most forboding situation for tiny Israel. Sanity will prevail when the two king kongs become more secured in their belief than relying on another peoples' city.

In a movie called KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, we saw two king kongs battling for Jerusalem. And not a frame about the Jews! I started to wonder which planet they were talking about. It was shameless. Jerusalem was annointed by Abraham with an everlasting covenant, and established as a Capital by King David - before christianity existed and before both islam and the Arab race existed. Jews should complain - there is not a drop of oil here. I wonder if the Arabs would be happy with Jerusalem - and have no oil or any other lands! Ditto for Christianity.

This is getting off topic but I can think of plenty more memorable defenses in world history, especially ones in which the defenders actually succeeded in winning. I don't need to suggest further readings on the Picts and Germanic peoples, do I?

I am certain the Picts put up a great defense. I was referring to the maths: 1.2 million Jews 2000 years ago is like 12 M today; the war for Judea began with Caligula who introduced the Heresy law 10 BCE; the exile of the Jews to Europe and Arabia was also a big historical event.

As it turned out the Jews who didn't die in the war did surrender, because they failed to win.

In a sense they did win. This was a war about the right to freedom of belief - and the Jews did not obey the Roman decree. And who says Rome won: does one have to be still alive to win or not?

Josephus is wrong. The claim that 3 million people were holed up in the Temple Mount is absurd. There was only one city in the western world with slighly more than 1 million people, and that was Rome. Jerusalem never accommodated so many people during the war with Rome. If he is wrong on that count he can easily be wrong about the figures for wall size and strength.

Yes, Judea's population was 10% of Rome. But the 3M population referred to was not in the temple but in Jerusalem - which was a large city with multiple level buildings in several towns around it, and surrounded by 35 acres of walls. This was also because when a war erupted in Judea or when the passover festival came, all Jews from the surrounds and from Greece and other cities went to Jerusalem, for its safety provisions, and because they were forbidden from praying elsewhere while the Temple stood. Josephus is one of the world's most accurate and vindicated Historians. The death toll alone was 1.2 M, 95,000 were taken to Rome as slaves, the entire city destroyed as well as surrounding towns like Ceseara & Jericho, and all of their wealth taken as booty. As well, they faced continuous exstential threats in Europe. Not many can survive such.

You overestimate the importance of the war, especially compared to Tyre. If Rome had failed they simply would have stuck doggedly to winning until the war was won, as they had done so many times against opponents far more formidable than the Hebrews. The Hebrews were simply not going to win, and any hypothetical victory would only have been short lived before a more powerful Roman onslaught.

That the war's outcome was assured is not contested. But this only makes the war more significant. Its importance was also great for Rome: Vespasian needed this victory to become King, and show its conquered nations the heresy decree will not be negated. This was a battle between Polytheism and Monotheism, conducted on the grounds of the birthplace of Monotheism. Rome had no problem of Jews not paying taxes - the issue was the right to freedom of belief. Rome's heresy charge was then taken on board by the church, which killed even more people than Rome. That is why this history has been supressed by European Christianity, and their schools not taught the horrors of the medevial church.

Had Alexander not taken Tyre it is doubtful he would have been able to secure the Levant, which in turn would have severely compromised his ability to conquer the Persian Empire. Had that not happened, the effect on world history would have been far more dramatic than a Roman set back in bringing a rather unimportant group of Semites to heel.

Alex's greatest feat was hardly his conquests, but his compulsion to translate the Hebrew bible to another language for the first time. Democrasy, Evolution, Alphabetical books, all the world's accepted judiciary laws and Monotheism resulted as a world-wide phenomenon. Alex esteemed the Jews, which eventually resulted in his assassination, inspired by disgruntled Hellenist Priests who saw their status becoming nullified. Eventually, the Greeks established Christianity - using the Hebrew bible as public domain, with cut and past jobs, and alligning it with the NT. Then islam saw the firey success f Christianity and performed an emulation, al biet with name changes only. Today's believers would rather have a desired falsehood than a disdained truth. 
Moses - the First Zionist.
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 10:15
Originally posted by diegis

At that moment Roman empire was invincible, the biggest power who existed on Earth, comparative to all who was before and after ( even until today ).

Yes, yes - and no. The big pic says the winner was the right to freedom of belief. Rome was one in an array of empires which rejected freedom of belief; all such empires are no more today, and this is a pointer for the future. It is also why America will outlast many older nations standing today on thin ice. 'LOVE THE STRANGER' transcends 'LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR'. Angel
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 22:18
I would say that one of the most formidable in history is the Chola Empire of southern India. Founded by King RajaRaja The Great. Its administration, and military organisation is still unsurpassed. When RajaRaja died the empire was vast, and his son, Rajendra expanded it even further, becoming the largest empire in the history of southern Asia. One of the main reasons the empire was so successful was that there were no disputes over succession when the rulers died.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 23:33

Originally posted by IamJoseph

Agreed I may be confusing Picts with the Iceni, and that Boudicca had the war with Rome. However, Londoniunium was established by Rome, including its name and that of Briton, and then destroyed by Rome, in its war with Boudecca, which Rome finally prevailed in.  Rome erazed two cities of Briton. Yes/no?

No, Boudicca destroyed Londinium, not Rome. Briton was not a name invented by the Romans, but a Latinization of the Greek name (Prettania).

There is a vast difference between the war strategy of Rome and the Mongols. Rome was a hi-tech sole super power for its time, and would have negated 10 Mongols. The enormity of the war of Rome with Judea is not adequately realised by most people

That's because it wasn't an "enormous" war. It was a one of many rebellions in minor frontier provinces.

when this war was history's greatest, from the pov of time period, human toll, destruction and impact, and most of all its principle cause: the right to freedom of belief.

Rubbish, neither side gave much of a toss about freedom of belief. The Zealots and especially the Sicarri ("dagger-men") were murdering Jews who were too Hellenistic, who worshipped the Roman deities (or perhaps just went to the Gymnasiums or Baths). For the Jewish rebels, it was about fighting against religious pluralism and establishing the supremacy of their religion, at any cost. For the Romans it wasn't a religious conflict at all; it was about restoring order after the civil disorder caused by the Zealots. 

and its Temple was the biggest monument of the then world.

You're joking, right? The Second Temple was certainly impressive, but hardly "the biggest monument in the world," heck, it wasn't even the biggest temple in the local area. 485' by 145', including the courts and surrounding wall; the temple itself was said to be of the same dimensions as Solomons' temple which was 135' by 35', very modest compared to some Roman and Egyptian temples. Nor was it a product of Jewish culture. Darius I, king of Persia, first built the Second Temple; and Herod razed the Persian version and built a Hellenic-style temple on the site (still called the Second Temple).

Jerusalem was annointed by Abraham with an everlasting covenant, and established as a Capital by King David - before christianity existed and before both islam and the Arab race existed.

True, but they stole it from others before them too - the Jebusites. 

This was a battle between Polytheism and Monotheism, conducted on the grounds of the birthplace of Monotheism. Rome had no problem of Jews not paying taxes - the issue was the right to freedom of belief.
The revolt started when the Jews got upset at some Greeks - probably including some Hellenized Jews - in Caesarea for sacrificing birds (i.e. practicing the Greek religion - they were not upset about sacrificing animals in principal, this happened in Jewish religion too at the time). The son of the High Priest then led a mob of fanatics against the Roman garrison in Jerusalem, defeated it, and subsequently defeated the 12th Legion at the Battle of Beth Horon. Vespasian was appointed to restore order, not stamp out the Jewish religion.
To perceive the Romans as a religiously intolerant empire is sheer historical quackery perpetrated by religious whackos. The Romans, as we all know very well, accepted and even imported many, many foreign religions and deities - dozens of them. The Jews, on the other hand, seem to be a culture that had a psychotic breakdown at the mere mention of a foreign deity or religion, and when people who were born Jewish became interested in other religions, out came the Sicarii, the Dagger Men, to kill them in public as a lesson. Christianity didn't get its intolerance from the Romans, it inheirited it from Judaism - there's a reason the Abrahamic religions are so steeped in blood and human misery, and it's because intolerance and religious supremacy are fundamental, core features of the Abrahamic religions.
Alex esteemed the Jews, which eventually resulted in his assassination, inspired by disgruntled Hellenist Priests who saw their status becoming nullified.
Nonsense. Like all Greeks, Alexander thought the Jewish religion curiously interesting in passing, but he was hardly obsessed or all that concerned with it. He was far more interested in Hinduism or the Egyptian religion than he was in Judaism. Greek priests certainly would not have worried that Alexander's interest in Jewish religion would "nullify their status" as Alexander never did more than give a friendly nod to Judaism (as he did to the religions of all conquered territories) - he certainly wasn't going to convert or attempt to spread Judaism through his empire.

Edited by edgewaters - 06-Dec-2008 at 23:47
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2008 at 03:05

Originally posted by edgewaters

No, Boudicca destroyed Londinium, not Rome. Briton was not a name invented by the Romans, but a Latinization of the Greek name (Prettania).

Prettania = Britania; and Londonium = London. Both names come from the Roman invasion. There is no record of Briton from the Greek Empire - Alex did not get there.

That's because it wasn't an "enormous" war. It was a one of many rebellions in minor frontier provinces.

I will give you factual refs for it, but I doubt it will dent your bias any. I note your lessons are derived from Greek writings, ignoring that Greek at that time was based totally on disdain - kind of like how today's arabs describe Israel. Here's an example:

" For ancient Greek and Roman pagan writers, Jerusalem was a Jewish city and the site of the Temple, the holy place of the Jews. It was founded in the remote past by ancient Jews, possibly by Moses, who led a pariah people, expelled from <ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN w:st="on">Egypt</ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN>, and established its theology, laws and customs, which were and continued to be inimical to most of humanity.

It is clear the term pariah people is from the Hellenist priests who saw their status reduced after the Septuagint translation, and every ref from that source is the same. You ignor  that whatever anxst from Europoean Christianity and the Arabs today, reflects the same scenario with the hellenist, who made the same charges: that the Jews refused to amalgamate Zeus with HHWH 250 BCE, and they were never forgiven for this. But we see a vast difference when we examine other, more factual descriptions.

Here, the hellenists, while admiting Jerusalem was the most strongly fortified cities, and that the Jews were fastidious of their Sabbath to the point of destruction,  then goes on to say the most bizarre, contradicting charges imaginable. We see also where later charges of blood libels, drinking children's blood [but blood consumption is forbidden in the Hebrew bible - same as is pork!], savior of a greek from Jewish ritual murder, etc. Is that the kind of writings which impresses you? Then you should also note in your descriptions, the Greeks had non-virtual disdain, envy and hatred, and made false claims all over the place, were hell bent in prevailing over the Hebrew religion - but lost this battle, that they made claims of money hungry Jews - when a half shakel for the temple upkeep predates the Greeks, and that there was really no greek man sacrificed in the Temple. Unless of course you believe such nonsense? Do you really accept that Jews would not desecrate the Sabbath to the point of national demise - then flaunt their primal law against images inside the holy of holies? Some one is totally accepting blatant lies and insanity here. Here you are: 

"It is noteworthy that an earlier capture of Jerusalem by the Greek-Egyptian King Ptolemy, son of Lagus, provided an opportunity for the obscure Agatharchides of Cnidus (second century BCE) to remark about the fact that "the people known as Jews, who inhabited the most strongly fortified of cities, called by the natives Jerusalem" lost their city because they would not defend it on the Sabbath. Josephus includes this selection in Against Apion as one of the early pagan critiques of the Jewish Sabbath which Agatharchides deemed as "folly," "dreams," and "traditional fancies about the law."[44] "

The narrative continues with an astonishing calumny. Apion relates that when Antiochus entered the sanctuary, he discovered a Greek imprisoned inside, on a couch next to a table laden with excellent food. The Greek hailed Antiochus as his savior. For, according to Apion, the Jews kidnapped a Greek annually, brought him to the sanctuary, fattened him up with sumptuous meals, sacrificed him, ate his flesh and then swore an oath of hostility to the Greeks.[38] While Josephus dismisses this canard as malicious rubbish and baseless lies, it is clear that the fact that Jews had no statues in their Temple in Jerusalem served as the background for the fabrication of accusations of kidnapping, human sacrifice, cannibalism and misanthropy on the part of the Jews.[39] This libel provided a basis for the attempts to deprive them of their civic rights which were contested in Alexandria in the first century CE by figures such as Apion. Hence, the Temple appears as a salient feature of pagan anti-Judaism. "

Hecataeus, Livy, and Cassius Dio explain the absence of representation as part of Jewish "otherness" in a factual manner. Several Greek writers, however, interpret the fact that there were no statues of the gods in the Temple not only as unusual, but also as barbaric and indicative of Jewish misanthropy. In their view, it would be inconceivable that a sacred shrine would be empty. Therefore, several authors offered their versions of what exactly stood in the Temple. Diodorus (first century BCE) writes that when "Antiochus, called Epiphanes, on defeating the Jews had entered the innermost sanctuary of the god's temple, where it was lawful for the priest alone to enter. Finding there a marble statue of a heavily bearded man seated on an ass, with a book in his hands, he supposed it to be an image of Moses, founder of Jerusalem ... who had ordained for the Jews their misanthropic and lawless customs. ... Antiochus ... sacrificed before the image of the founder and the open-air altar of the god a great sow."[34] Diodorus asserts that what stood in Judaism's holiest place was ridiculous and revolting; namely, the presence of a statue of an ass, a lowly beast of burden, whose rider had established Jewish xenophobia, and that Antiochus sacrificed an animal known by all to be forbidden to the Jews in their holiest shrine.[35]

Now we find an Ass made of gold for worship in the temple, clearly forbidden since ancient Egyptian, and in violation of everything Judaism represents, ignored in your response:

"Apion (mid-first century CE) conveys a malicious and defamatory description of the contents of the sanctuary in Jerusalem. In order to give his anti-Jewish arguments greater authority, Apion attributes this account to the well known Greek philosopher and ethnographer Posidonius (c.135-51 BCE) and the rhetorician Apollonius Molon (first century BCE).[36] As in the case of Diodorus, the invasion of Antiochus Epiphanes serves as the point of departure for the description, as follows: "Within the sanctuary ... the Jews kept an ass's head [made of gold], worshipping that animal and deeming it of deepest reverence."[37]  "

Here again, we find the Hellenists sacrificng Pigs in the temple, and one of their own writers admitting the goal was to prevail the Hebrew belief with Hellenism. That is also why Alexander was assassinated, instigated by the greek priests, who introduced [invented] a host of false charges:

"Jerusalem and the Temple also appear as the site of several major historical events, mainly invasions of Greek monarchs and Roman generals. We have seen the significance of Antiochus IV Ephiphanes' entry into Jerusalem and his despoliation of the Temple which served as the pretext for anti-Jewish descriptions of the interior of the sanctuary, distortions of Judaism and slander of the Jews. Antiochus appears favorably in the works of Diodorus and Apion, cited above. Similarly, Tacitus presents Antiochus positively as the prototype of a leader who attempted to "abolish Jewish superstition and to introduce Greek civilization."[43]

The Hebrew bible represented the enemies of the Greeks and Romans - imagine what they would have done to Muslims, who at this time were not exiled only because they were still pagan:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/revolt.html

Caligula threatened to destroy the Temple, so a delegation of Jews was sent to pacify him. To no avail. Caligula raged at them, "So you are the enemies of the gods, the only people who refuse to recognize my divinity." The first emperor, Julius Caesar, granted rights to Jewish communities because their ancestral laws predated Rome.

Only the emperor Caligula's sudden, violent death saved the Jews from wholesale massacre.

In the decades after Caligula's death, Jews found their religion subject to periodic gross indignities, Roman soldiers exposing themselves in the Temple on one occasion, and burning a Torah scroll on another.

In the year 66, Florus, the last Roman procurator, stole vast quantities of silver from the Temple. The outraged Jewish masses rioted and wiped out the small Roman garrison stationed in Jerusalem. Cestius Gallus, the Roman ruler in neighboring Syria, sent in a larger force of soldiers. But the Jewish insurgents routed them as well. "

When the Romans returned, they had 60,000 heavily armed and highly professional troops. They launched their first attack against the Jewish state's most radicalized area, the Galilee in the north. The Romans vanquished the Galilee, and an estimated 100,000 Jews were killed or sold into slavery. "

Rubbish, neither side gave much of a toss about freedom of belief. The Zealots and especially the Sicarri ("dagger-men") were murdering Jews who were too Hellenistic, who worshipped the Roman deities (or perhaps just went to the Gymnasiums or Baths). For the Jewish rebels, it was about fighting against religious pluralism and establishing the supremacy of their religion, at any cost. For the Romans it wasn't a religious conflict at all; it was about restoring order after the civil disorder caused by the Zealots. 

For sure, the Greeks did give a toss about freedom of belief. And so did the Romans, wherein the greeks were embedded. The fact that Rome had evoked its decree of Heresy - says all conquered peoples had to house the statue of the Emperor - which was not possible for Jews. While Rome acknowledged this, and gave the Jews some forebearence, siting this law predated Rome and thus not heretic - it was later over-turned, thanks to the greeks in the event of Ceseara, and Caligula's decree became law once again, leading to the events of 70 CE. Here, the notion of inter-group wars with the Jews cannot destract; thse wars were resultant from Rome's strategy of placing contrived, hastily converted falsified jews in ruling positions [E.g. Herod], or those who were half Roman [Agrippa]. These battles are normal. But all the Jewish groups eventually banded together against Rome: over a million were massacred, along with the priests of each group.

Parading the premise there were battles within the groups is a selective deflection to avoid the fundamentals: this is not an error or a POV, but actually purposeful clinging to falsehoods. Its like the Protocols of Zion, and not history. There is no question that Monotheism was an affront to those who believed in head bashing deities and divine emperors, and that this posed the greatest threat to them - more than any other warring nation. Check again, how you distort by omissions:

"As Judaism was considered a type of xenophobic superstition, innately hostile to the pagan gods and to the Greek and Roman way of life, and a threat to the Roman society because of its appeal to many, the memory and term "Solyma" or "Hierosolyma" occasionally became a synonym for all that was Jewish and abhorred by various Roman authors. Thus, the sole identity of Jerusalem was its status as the "capital of the Jews." 

You're joking, right? The Second Temple was certainly impressive, but hardly "the biggest monument in the world," heck, it wasn't even the biggest temple in the local area. 485' by 145', including the courts and surrounding wall; the temple itself was said to be of the same dimensions as Solomons' temple which was 135' by 35', very modest compared to some Roman and Egyptian temples. Nor was it a product of Jewish culture. Darius I, king of Persia, first built the Second Temple; and Herod razed the Persian version and built a Hellenic-style temple on the site (still called the Second Temple).

No sir, no jokings.

http://centuryone.com/josephus.html

SIZES: The perimeter of the walls of Jerusalem is said by Josephus (War V, 159) to extend to thirty-three stadia (6138m.), whereas in Avi-Yonah's reckoning they were 5550m. long; but this is a difference of merely 10%.4

Again, the harbour of Caesarea built by Herod has been studied meticulously by A. Raban and he finds that Josephus's account of it is by and large correct.5 At Masada, too, the description of the northern palace (which Josephus calls the western palace, War VII, 286) matches the remains as discovered.6 The same my be said of the width of the wall, eight cubits, which is close to 4 m. (War VII, 286).7 The perimeter of the walls of Jerusalem is said by Josephus (War V, 159) to extend to thirty-three stadia (6138m.), whereas in Avi-Yonah's reckoning they were 5550m. long; but this is a difference of merely 10%.4 "

Jerusalem's place in Roman/Greek times:

"The war between Rome and Jerusalem was thus the most consequential event in Jewish history, largely responsible for turning <ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN w:st="on">Judah</ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN> the nation into Judaism the religion. It also deserves to be called one of the most important events in world history, because of the way it set the stage for the spread of Christianity. By 70 C.E., the divorce between Judaism and Christianity was neither complete nor inevitable. It was the fall of Jerusalem, and the demotion of the Jews to pariah status in the Roman Empire, that spurred the early Christians to separate themselves decisively from the mother faith. "Among the most important reasons for the growth and spread of Christianity," Mr. Goodman writes, "one must be that after 70 ... Christians presented themselves to the world as unconnected to the Jews." The conversion of Constantine, the Christianization of the Roman Empire, the growth of the Catholic Church — all were indirect consequences of the Jewish War. He deals with large questions of metaphysics and ethics — explaining, for instance, why the Romans thought it was perfectly acceptable to kill their children at birth, while they found the Jewish ban on eating pork laughable. Yet he also evokes the textures of daily life, showing how Romans doted on their pets, while Jews considered even cats to be wild animals. "It is in fact rather hard to see any reason why Jews should have experienced particular hostility from Romans before the rebellion broke out in 66," he writes. "Jews might be ridiculous, intriguing, mysterious or contemptible, but they were certainly not dangerous to the safety and prosperity of Rome."

How the victory against Judea impacted Rome:

"Yet when fortune left Vespasian holding the crown, after Galba, Otho, and Vitellius had killed one another off, he needed a military triumph in order to legitimize his claim to power. "The new emperor chose to base his claim to the purple on his military services to the Roman state through the defeat of the Jews"

How the rejection of sacrificing for Roman Emperors caused Rome's greatest war:

"Then [in the summer of 66 CE] a very bold young man who was then captain of the temple---Eleazar, son of the high-priest Hananiah---moved that no gift or sacrifice for any foreigner was to be admitted during the worship service. And this set the foundation for the war with Rome. For, on this pretext, even the sacrifice for Caesar  [= Nero] was eliminated."

"Rome's law: Procurator Gessius Florus (64‑66 C.E."No Ruler But the Almighty" 

Josephus:

"And this was the true beginning of our war with the Romans; for they rejected the sacrifice of Caesar on this account; and when many of the chief priests and principal men besought them not to omit the sacrifice, which it was customary for them to offer for their princes, they would not be prevailed upon."

True, but they stole it from others before them too - the Jebusites. 

Again, total lies. Jews have never stolen anyone’s lands in all their 4000 year history. How desperate that they are accused of stealing the land they were born and incepted in – as if they came from Mars, but more accurately, because there is no charge possible they stole anyone's else's lands, despite being dispersed in all nation's lands. The Israelites were Cannanite people, same as the Jebisites, who lived with the Israelites since the times of Abraham, then after Joshua where they lived with the Jews and were allies with the Israelites, then with Kind David 300 years later. King David protected the Jebusites from the other canaante tribes and the Philistines. They was no stealing, the text says a small hill was *PURCHASED" from the jebusites and made into a capital, and David refused it as a gift – which you do not mention in your ‘stolen’ charge. Why would the texts say the Philistines and six other Canaanite tribes were conquered, and not the Jebusites? One cannot accuse another of stealing within their own domestic situation. What the Jews did NOT do is steal a land that was never also their homeland, not did they go around the world dumping mosques in other peoples’ most sacred lsites – then accuse their roberees [or the robbed] of being robbers!

The revolt started when the Jews got upset at some Greeks - probably including some Hellenized Jews - in Caesarea for sacrificing birds (i.e. practicing the Greek religion - they were not upset about sacrificing animals in principal, this happened in Jewish religion too at the time).

Stop trying to define the Jewish religion and distorting history. There is surely a difference which animal is sacrificed, especially on the Sabbath,  specially by the hellenists who have a history of desecrating the temple with Pigs [Hardian/250 BCE]. I have included sufficient refs to show you the this history – I also stated nothing I say can dent your pre-disposition.

there's a reason the Abrahamic religions are so steeped in blood and human misery, and it's because intolerance and religious supremacy are fundamental, core features of the Abrahamic religions.

The decree of heresy was not a Jewish doctrine, was it? The Hebrew bible says, LOVE THE STRANGER – but it does not mean Jews must forsake Monotheism. Show me any other document which says the equivalence of respecting the stranger and other beliefs? I gave you sufficient refs Roman belief also had to be accepted, and woe unto those who disagreed. The battle for freedom of belief began here – with the Jews. They rejected Rome’s law that Jews also had to  worship Zeus and Mars – the Jews never told Rome not to worship their own beliefs!

Nonsense. Like all Greeks, Alexander thought the Jewish religion curiously interesting in passing, but he was hardly obsessed or all that concerned with it. He was far more interested in Hinduism or the Egyptian religion than he was in Judaism. Greek priests certainly would not have worried that Alexander's interest in Jewish religion would "nullify their status" as Alexander never did more than give a friendly nod to Judaism (as he did to the religions of all conquered territories) - he certainly wasn't going to convert or attempt to spread Judaism through his empire.

Again, I gave you sufficient refs to show that after Alex’s death, there was total hatred of Monotheism – which also spelt the negation of Hellenism. They did not have the same reaction to other beliefs – they focused only on Monotheism, because it impacted the Hellenist priests as no other. The Hebrew bible prevailed Hellenism, and this is the reason for Christianity and Islam. This was also Alexander’s greatest contribution – not his wars, but the translation of the Hebrew bible. It costed him his life, but Monotheism prevailed.  

Edited by IamJoseph - 07-Dec-2008 at 03:54
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2008 at 07:00

There is no record of Briton from the Greek Empire - Alex did not get there.

Wrong. The Greeks did get there. Pytheas coined the term "Prettani", not the Romans.

Here again, we find the Hellenists sacrificng Pigs in the temple, and one of their own writers admitting the goal was to prevail the Hebrew belief with Hellenism.

Most religions do hope to appeal to people who aren't yet followers, and sway them over. Nothing particularly exceptional about that. But the Hellenized Jews just did it by choosing to practice their religion publicly - the Zealots did it by murdering any Jews who refused to practice Judaism. See the difference?

We see also where later charges of blood libels, drinking children's blood [but blood consumption is forbidden in the Hebrew bible - same as is pork!], savior of a greek from Jewish ritual murder, etc.

Well, they probably just heard all that stuff from a Jew talking about his Canaanite neighbours - the money-grubbing, blood libel tales were originally Jewish propaganda against the Phoenicians and Canaanites, in a twist of ironic justice they got attached to the Jews as well, because the Greeks had difficulty telling them apart.

The Hebrew bible represented the enemies of the Greeks and Romans

No it didn't. Many famous Greek philosophers found the Hebrew bible fascinating (long before Alexander).

The perimeter of the walls of Jerusalem is said by Josephus (War V, 159) to extend to thirty-three stadia (6138m.), whereas in Avi-Yonah's reckoning they were 5550m. long

Fantasies. If it was that big, a fire would hardly have destroyed it. Besides, why would Darius - a Persian - build a structure that was far larger than any other building in the entire history of the planet until the 20th century, for some remote hill-tribe? Darius was obviously friendly with the Jews, but he wasn't that friendly!!

Here, the notion of inter-group wars with the Jews cannot destract; thse wars were resultant from Rome's strategy of placing contrived, hastily converted falsified jews in ruling positions [E.g. Herod], or those who were half Roman [Agrippa].

Again, this is nonsense. Religious butchery between Jews predates the Roman occupation, in fact, it is the reason why the Romans came in the first place. They were invited by one side in a civil war. The Jews were stabbing each other to death over religion ever since Hellenic culture, the ancient version of Westernization, spread over the Near East following Alexander's conquests.

But all the Jewish groups eventually banded together against Rome: over a million were massacred, along with the priests of each group.

Completely ignoring the absurd exaggeration of numbers there, this is still rubbish. Contemporary accounts from both the Jewish and Roman side are in crystal clear agreement on the fact that even as the Romans besieged Jerusalem, religious factions within the city were at war, with different groups controlling different sectors. There were three principal factions: the fanatical Zealots, led by Eleazar the High Priest; the even more fanatical and violent Sicarii, led by Simon bar Giora; and the utterly bizarre followers of John of Giscala, who were reported to have prowled the streets in women's clothes, killing innocents for sport (reminiscent of these guys).

In fact, this infighting became a core element of Jewish religion afterward, which accounts the destruction of the Second Temple as punishment for the violent hatred in Jewish society at the time:

The Gemara indicates the problem, the reason for which we mourn to this day: “Rabbi Akiva had twelve thousand pairs of students…" They all died, within a short time, because
they did not treat each other with the proper respect . . . 
It is interesting that the destruction – and subsequent mourning for generations – arose
here not because of the wicked people of the generation, but rather because of the Torah 
scholars. Their Torah study did not correct the fundamental defect that brought about
the destruction of the Temple – causeless hatred.

http://www.torahmitzion.org/pub/parsha/5764/emor_gen.pdf

Of course, secular Zionism has a modern political agenda which is at odds with a two-thousand year old rabbinic perspective, so it has to invoke nonsense revisionism, backed by endless repetition rather than fact, to pretend that everything was a utopian paradise between Jews except for all those troublesome outsiders who ruined everything. This is a typical feature of most anti-logical forms of nationalism with many other parallels (for instance, the infamous "Norman Yoke" of English nationalist myth, which posits that the Anglo-Saxons lived in a peaceful utopia until the terrible Normans came and spoiled everything). 

There is no question that Monotheism was an affront to those who believed in head bashing deities and divine emperors, and that this posed the greatest threat to them - more than any other warring nation.

It was hardly a "threat" since the Jews were not attempting to export monotheism, and wouldn't share their religion with curious Greeks. Neither was the concept of monotheism an affront to Greeks and Romans, since many respected Greek philosophers proposed similar concepts and rejected the pantheon (in fact, by the time of the Jewish revolt, the pantheon wasn't even that popular anymore, having been largely usurped by imported mystery cults). Finally, the "head-bashing deities" of the Greek and Roman religions were far, far less violent than the jealous, genocidal tribal god of Judea, who not only instructs his followers to scrub whole cities of the face of the earth, he does so himself - in fact, the mythology has it that he has scrubbed most of the planet of life at least once. Did Zeus ever get upset, have a tantrum, and wipe out almost all life except for a ship full of animals? No. He might have hit a half dozen people with lightning bolts, at most.

What was an affront to the Romans was that Judeo-Romans were being killed by fanatics for practicing Roman religion. More generally, one issue of long-standing hostility between Greco-Romans and Jews was the refusal of Jews to accept syncretism. In our world today, proponents of religious tolerants attempt to find 'universal truths' that are held by all the major religions, and try to accept all the religious traditions as equally valid expressions of these universal truths. The Greco-Romans had a similar concept: they tried to unite the religions through universal deities. This is called syncretism.

In practice, what this meant was that they'd show up and say "Hey! That's a fine god you've got there. He's just like our god, Zeus! We have alot in common ... you know, since they are so similar, they're probably just different names for the same god, different ways of honouring the same god! Isn't this great! Let's share our gods, you show us how you worship him, we'll show you how we worship and we'll learn how to honour Zeus-Yahweh better." Most of the time, with other pantheists, this went over very well. But obviously this is incompatible with the Abrahamic system of belief, and the Jews reacted violently when Hellenes or Romans or Hellenized Jews practiced syncretism with regards to Yahweh. Nor were they willing to share their religious practices and secrets. This infuriated Greco-Romans to no end. What we have here is a mutual religious hostility caused both by the stubbornly naieve views of pantheistic syncretism and monotheism's patronizing refusal to accept other religions as valid and interesting. The ideas were incompatible, and a confrontation was inevitable. 

"It is in fact rather hard to see any reason why Jews should have experienced particular hostility from Romans before the rebellion broke out in 66," he writes. "Jews might be ridiculous, intriguing, mysterious or contemptible, but they were certainly not dangerous to the safety and prosperity of Rome."

Bingo. You should read before you copy and paste.

"The new emperor chose to base his claim to the purple on his military services to the Roman state through the defeat of the Jews"

Of course, this is typical in every country and every time period. What do you think Solomon's popularity was based on - sending pretty flowers to the Canaanites?

Again, total lies. Jews have never stolen anyone’s lands in all their 4000 year history.

But they did. It's hardly "desperate", it was a common practice back then - and the Hebrews celebrate their military conquests in their own writings, heck, they even exaggerate their conquests. Just because they were from the area doesn't mean they didn't fight with other tribes in the region and take their land. The Scots and the English are both from Britain, the Romans and Etruscans were both from Italy, it doesn't mean they never tried to steal other's land. 

King David protected the Jebusites from the other canaante tribes and the Philistines. They was no stealing, the text says a small hill was *PURCHASED" from the jebusites and made into a capital, and David refused it as a gift – which you do not mention in your ‘stolen’ charge. Why would the texts say the Philistines and six other Canaanite tribes were conquered, and not the Jebusites?

Because it doesn't say that and you're just making stuff up. Both the masoretic text and the septuagint say that David wanted the city, it was heavily fortified and the Jebusites told him to get lost, and David either snuck in through the sewers (masoretic version) or stormed the city and killed the Jebusites "with daggers" (septuagint version).

There is surely a difference which animal is sacrificed, especially on the Sabbath, specially by the hellenists

If you believe in freedom of religion, what difference does it make what animals the Hellenists want to sacrifice on which day? Freedom means people can decide for themselves. Jewish fanatics were against freedom of religion and stabbed Jewish men, women, and children to death in public if they didn't practice religion the way the fanatics said they should. This was a struggle for freedom of religion ... and, at terrible cost, freedom of religion WON. Ever since the Romans prevailed against the Zealots and Sicarii, people who have been born Jewish can practice any religion they want without worrying that their own people will kill them.

The decree of heresy was not a Jewish doctrine, was it?

Of course it was. It's the single most apparent doctrine of the Hebrews. Worship the golden calf, and you will all die. Sacrifice the wrong animal, and you will all be killed. Believe in this other god, we will slaughter you. There simply wasn't any other religion more violently dogmatic in the entire region. Granted, it only applied if you happened to be born Jewish, but this doesn't make it one bit less shrill or fanatical.

Show me any other document which says the equivalence of respecting the stranger and other beliefs?

The entire system of Roman religion stands as proof of the same concept. Foreign religions in all conquered areas were tolerated, sometimes their gods were even imported. The Romans built lavish temples to foreign, native gods in Egypt, Gaul, Greece, even in Britain. Did the ancient Jews ever build a temple for anybody else's god? No of course not! They hated everybody else's god. Keep in mind that in those days, Jewish maxims like "love thy neighbour" did not apply to non-Jews, to "others", it was strictly about regulating conduct between Jews. There are separate rules governing relations with non-Jews and they are not of a "love thy neighbour" bent ... more like "anything goes". In fact, lovin' is strictly forbidden.

the Jews never told Rome not to worship their own beliefs!

But a Roman was any citizen of Rome, or, more broadly, any supporter of Rome. This included many, many Hellenized Jews who were not only told not to worship their Greek/Roman/syncretic religions, they were brutally murdered by Zealot or Sicarii fanatics when they did.

Edited by edgewaters - 07-Dec-2008 at 07:51
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2008 at 14:27

Wrong. The Greeks did get there. Pytheas coined the term "Prettani", not the Romans.

The greeks only curcumvated this island. In 55 BCE Rome invaded Briton - the greeks did not invade or rule this land. The Romans coined the name Londoninium and Briton, prefixing the latin 'bret' with the later:
The boy's name Briton \b-ri-ton\, also used as girl's name Briton, is a variant of Brett (Latin) and Britton (Old English), and the meaning of Briton is "from Britanny or Britain; from Britain".

Most religions do hope to appeal to people who aren't yet followers, and sway them over. Nothing particularly exceptional about that. But the Hellenized Jews just did it by choosing to practice their religion publicly - the Zealots did it by murdering any Jews who refused to practice Judaism. See the difference?

That's a dishostorical slant. In fact there were continuous wars between nations over religions, and using the term 'appeal, sway them over and nothing exceptional' makes it sounds surreal - this never happened in the past nor today. Rome went to war with anyone who did not also adhere to its decree: the forebearence was limited to this factor, and is the only way any nation was allowed to follow their own beliefs - they also had to house a statue of a Roman emperor, and worship [sacrifice] over it.

The defenders in Judea went to war because this nation could not accomodate such a decree: you failed to acknowledge this forbiddence of images was not a problem to other nations. The Zealots [better, Zealous] were of course right to refuse this law - and their defense is known to you only from Hebrew writings, which acknowledges this factor, as well as that of the inter-fighting. This is normal and historical - your slant is fiction.

Well, they probably just heard all that stuff from a Jew talking about his Canaanite neighbours - the money-grubbing, blood libel tales were originally Jewish propaganda against the Phoenicians and Canaanites, in a twist of ironic justice they got attached to the Jews as well, because the Greeks had difficulty telling them apart.

That's clever. If I show you factual, historical archives what the hellenist did - you make this the fault of the Jews? So please show us your canaanite and phonecian evidence of such stuff? As I imagined, I cannot win with you - you want to twist all history with your own additions, even when historical evidences are presented.

No it didn't. Many famous Greek philosophers found the Hebrew bible fascinating (long before Alexander).

Depends how you use the term fascinating. If they did this to flaunt, insite and desecrate known laws observed for 1000s of years because true Monotheism could accomodate Hellenism - it may be only fascinating to your mindset. They finally were unable to absorb Monotheism - even when they found it fascinating and saw it as better than their own theology: so did two religions later on.

Fantasies. If it was that big, a fire would hardly have destroyed it. Besides, why would Darius - a Persian - build a structure that was far larger than any other building in the entire history of the planet until the 20th century, for some remote hill-tribe? Darius was obviously friendly with the Jews, but he wasn't that friendly!!

I was not present in that time. So I gave you historical stats, backed by a host of scholars affirming Josephus' measurements were correct when examined against all other descriptions - read it again. Darius did not build the structure - he only gave permission to built it again. The structure predated the Persian empire, and was destroyed by Babylon. The Hebrews built it again. 

Again, this is nonsense. Religious butchery between Jews predates the Roman occupation, in fact, it is the reason why the Romans came in the first place. They were invited by one side in a civil war. The Jews were stabbing each other to death over religion ever since Hellenic culture, the ancient version of Westernization, spread over the Near East following Alexander's conquests.

You are using unrelated things to change a fundamental historical fact. Yes, there were battles for 2000 years between the israelites before the war with Rome in 70 CE. Even with Moses and Dathon - an Egyptian favoured Jew. In 70 CE, there were battles between those who were given promising gifts by Rome and those who did not seccumb to this. Rome also installed Agrippa, a half Jew/half Roman, who followed no religion hu=imself, and was in charge of the Temple: why is this a surprise or a negation of anything that there were groups bttling each other? -Why do you use terms such as nonsense that Judea rejected and challenged Rome's decree - when this is evidenced throughout the last 4000 years with numerous battles by the Hebrews over Monotheism? I even gave you descritions of Caligula and other Roman and Greek emperors how they found this an affront to their own beliefs. You leap elsewhere without acknowledging anything put to you. Judaism and Christianity broke away only because of a critically variant interpretation of Monotheism, despite that they absorbed the entire Hebrew bible. No nation before islam emerged could allign with strict Monotheism - a fact which led to many wars.

Completely ignoring the absurd exaggeration of numbers there, this is still rubbish.

I never invented those numbers. Its recorded in the works of Josephus, a wholly historical document by a defector of the jews.  Prior to the war in Jerusalem, 60,000 were killed in Ceasara, and again in many other towns. Jopata was also totally wiped out. Rome killed over 80,000 in Briton. There is no ubsurd exaggeration of numbers. There is only your blatant rejection of historical stats with no counter evidenced: so how can anyone debate in such a scenario?

In fact, this infighting became a core element of Jewish religion afterward, which accounts the destruction of the Second Temple as punishment for the violent hatred in Jewish society at the time:

The Gemara indicates the problem, the reason for which we mourn to this day: “Rabbi Akiva had twelve thousand pairs of students…" They all died, within a short time, because
they did not treat each other with the proper respect . . . 
It is interesting that the destruction – and subsequent mourning for generations – arose
here not because of the wicked people of the generation, but rather because of the Torah 
scholars. Their Torah study did not correct the fundamental defect that brought about
the destruction of the Temple – causeless hatred.

http://www.torahmitzion.org/pub/parsha/5764/emor_gen.pdf

[/quote

Sure - there's no writings anywhere more trusworthy than the Hebrew writings. Over 70% is vindicated by archeological relics and inter-nation writings. There was in-fighting since Herod was appointed, and it is akin to the EU appointing a falsified convert as a Muslim and making him rule in Saudi Arabia: would you not find in-fighting by Muslims? It has no relevence with the war against Rome's decree, which was re-activated by Nero - a depraved psychopath. In fact, even Herod knew this would happen, and disregarded Caligula's decree. It was brough back by Nero, from urgings of the hellenists.

Of course, secular Zionism has a modern political agenda which is at odds with a two-thousand year old rabbinic perspective, so it has to invoke nonsense revisionism, backed by endless repetition rather than fact, to pretend that everything was a utopian paradise between Jews except for all those troublesome outsiders who ruined everything. This is a typical feature of most anti-logical forms of nationalism with many other parallels (for instance, the infamous "Norman Yoke" of English nationalist myth, which posits that the Anglo-Saxons lived in a peaceful utopia until the terrible Normans came and spoiled everything). 

The reverse is the case: the writings says there was never a utopia! There was discordance even with Moses, even when the narratives says God was present 40 years with the israelites. Which writings and which planet are you talking about? You only know of the in-fighting in 70 CE from Hebrew sources!

It was hardly a "threat" since the Jews were not attempting to export monotheism, and wouldn't share their religion with curious Greeks.

Another slant and distortion. The greeks proposed an amalgamation after they studied the Septuagint, and wanted Moses to be a universal figure. This sublime premise fell because the greeks also wanted Paganism mixed with Monotheism: Zeus alongside the Hebrew God. That's why! This would have destroyed both partys. This is also the reason the greeks never forgave the Jews, and instigated Rome to re-activate its heresy law.

Finally, the "head-bashing deities" of the Greek and Roman religions were far, far less violent than the jealous, genocidal tribal god of Judea, who not only instructs his followers to scrub whole cities of the face of the earth, he does so himself - in fact, the mythology has it that he has scrubbed most of the planet of life at least once. Did Zeus ever get upset, have a tantrum, and wipe out almost all life except for a ship full of animals? No. He might have hit a half dozen people with lightning bolts, at most.

Far, far less violent? Have you read descriptions what brutality Rome did - they invented Crucifixion, upto 800 a day in town squares, with the corpses not allowed to be removed till all bones were seen; slaves had no chance for freedom their entire lifespan. In fact the Hebrew bible forbids the taking of even a single cubit of land outside the miniscule area alloted them. The world's first aeriel mapping is seen in the borders and descriptions given to Moses - it starts west of the Jordan: hardly an instruction to scrub whole cities on the face of the earth. As it turns out, the Jews have never occupied anyone else's land despite being dispersed throughout the nations, nor have we seen any genocidal acts by Jews. Ancient wars in Canaan, usually yhe only factor sited, were defensive wars against declared genocide in land which was the home of the Jews, and nowhere else. My history book says its the other way around.

What was an affront to the Romans was that Judeo-Romans were being killed by fanatics for practicing Roman religion. More generally, one issue of long-standing hostility between Greco-Romans and Jews was the refusal of Jews to accept syncretism. In our world today, proponents of religious tolerants attempt to find 'universal truths' that are held by all the major religions, and try to accept all the religious traditions as equally valid expressions of these universal truths. The Greco-Romans had a similar concept: they tried to unite the religions through universal deities. This is called syncretism.

Not so. The universal truth is MONOTHEISM. What you term as syncretism hides the fact no nation was prepared to accept Monotheism. The Hebrew bible says there is no alternative to Monotheism and Creationism - and this is vindicated by science, maths and logic - none of those faculties have ever come up with an alternative. The Grecko-Roman religions are dead - by implosion, and of their own - because it was horrific and depraved, abusing inalienable human rights, liberty, women's rights, animal rights, democrasy and everything which is an affront to humanity today and what is aspired. The Greco-Romans mocked the dietary laws of the Hebrews, but totally upheld the right to kill off a baby not considered pretty enough - you are positing what I call LIES-BY-OMISSIONS.

In practice, what this meant was that they'd show up and say "Hey! That's a fine god you've got there. He's just like our god, Zeus! We have alot in common ... you know, since they are so similar, they're probably just different names for the same god, different ways of honouring the same god! Isn't this great! Let's share our gods, you show us how you worship him, we'll show you how we worship and we'll learn how to honour Zeus-Yahweh better."

Your totally wrong, and have not a clue what Monotheist belief is. Try telling your reasoning to Muslims for example, who are Monotheists? Now Judaism does not tell you what to believe - why should you bother what they believe? This is what the war with the hellenists and Rome was all about - they would not allow another their beliefs unless Polytheism was accepted alongside - you have totally disregarded this and made the victims the bad guys.

Most of the time, with other pantheists, this went over very well.

Other Pantheists!? I wonder how they would score with today's muslims. In fact I'd say they would find a war with any other group, even pantheists, if they did that today. Obviously, you do not accept one's right to their belief. Obviously, you have no beliefs - anyone requesting you to also worship their dieties would be accomodated.

But obviously this is incompatible with the Abrahamic system of belief

Correct. Congratulations.

[quote]

and the Jews reacted violently when Hellenes or Romans or Hellenized Jews practiced syncretism with regards to Yahweh. Nor were they willing to share their religious practices and secrets. This infuriated Greco-Romans to no end. What we have here is a mutual religious hostility caused both by the stubbornly naieve views of pantheistic syncretism and monotheism's patronizing refusal to accept other religions as valid and interesting. The ideas were incompatible, and a confrontation was inevitable. 

The secret was strict monotheism. Which meant no Zeus and no divine Roman Emperors. Were the Hellensists and Romans not violent about their beliefs?

With power in your hands, would you massacre all those who refuse to give up their Monotheism - then accuse them of being secretive? The Hebrew bible is the most read of all bibles and the first one translated to other languages. Very secretive, no? Clap

Edited by IamJoseph - 08-Dec-2008 at 01:05
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 02:56

The greeks only curcumvated this island. In 55 BCE Rome invaded Briton - the greeks did not invade or rule this land. The Romans coined the name Londoninium and Briton

As you are aware, I didn't claim the Greeks ruled the island, only that they reached it (something you didn't realize until I gave you a search term: Pytheas). Pytheas called the people who lived there "Prittani" from which the Romans derived "Britannia". So, again, no - the Romans did not invent the term. They merely Latinized the Greek name for it.

That's a dishostorical slant.
Dishostorical?
In fact there were continuous wars between nations over religions
No. Empires fought wars for lots of reasons, and in the world of antiquity, religion was not usually one of them. Their ambitions were more naked and less pretentious, particularly in the case of the Greeks and the Romans. They generally came into conflict on behalf of clients in the area - this was the case in Gaul, in Germania, in Britain, and even in Israel, when they intervened in a long-running civil war at the behest of one John Hyrcanus II, a Hasmonean (Maccabean) Jewish prince.
As we've already discussed - and you've agreed - syncretic polytheists didn't really have religious disputes with each other as a rule, and the religion in 99% (or maybe 97 or something) of the territory in which Rome fought was some form of syncretic polytheism. So - religious conflict was an extremely unusual cause of war, and completely alien from the Roman perspective. Roman conflicts were political in nature. When they fought against religious groups like the Druids and Jews, at issue was the threat to political control brought on by rebellion and incitement against Rome, not religion per se.
and using the term 'appeal, sway them over and nothing exceptional' makes it sounds surreal - this never happened in the past nor today.
Of course it does - it's called proselytism. It happens all the time.
The defenders in Judea went to war because this nation could not accomodate such a decree
That is indeed one of the reasons. But there were others. For instance, the Romans repressed fanatics who murdered Hellenic Jews for choosing other religions: they wanted things back the way they were during the Hasmonean dynasty, when they could kill heretics as they pleased.
But I already dealt with this in my post.
you failed to acknowledge this forbiddence of images was not a problem to other nations.
Yes. Syncretic polytheism and monotheism were incompatible for a variety of reasons.

As I imagined, I cannot win with you - you want to twist all history with your own additions, even when historical evidences are presented.
A rant completely lacking in sources (or even basic factual understanding) is not historical evidence.

Depends how you use the term fascinating.
Many Greek philosophers admired the Bible. Some might even be described as Judeophiles, however, they were frustrated because there is more to Judaism than what was in the Septuagint and the Jews were reluctant to share the entirety of their religion.
Why do you think the Greeks were so heavily involved in the formative years of Christianity?

So I gave you historical stats, backed by a host of scholars affirming Josephus' measurements were correct when examined against all other descriptions - read it again.
No you didn't. You just stated it. I know it's from Josephus, but you didn't source it at all (let alone back it with "a host of scholars" - which would be very difficult considering practically all scholars dismiss Josephus' exaggerations as just that, exaggerations).
Darius did not build the structure - he only gave permission to built it again.
Darius paid to have it built, and brought Persian architects to do it.
The structure predated the Persian empire, and was destroyed by Babylon.
Well, yes, but the Hebrews didn't build the First Temple either. King Hiram of Tyre supplied all the materials, labourers, and architectural planners, as indicated in the biblical accounts.

Sure - there's no writings anywhere more trusworthy than the Hebrew writings.
Actually Hebrew writings are very much uncorroborated either by archaeological evidence or independant accounts from outside the religion. There are, of course, many things that have been shown to be accurate, but these are dwarfed by the things which remain uncorroborated - for instance, the conquest of Jericho, or the whole of Exodus. Hebrew historical writing is akin to Greek histories prior to Thucydides, that is, based in fact but full of mythological sequences, bias, distortion, exaggeration, and so on. 
There was in-fighting since Herod was appointed, and it is akin to the EU appointing a falsified convert as a Muslim and making him rule in Saudi Arabia: would you not find in-fighting by Muslims?
Yes, but it's not the same. Herod was a Jew (not terribly enthusiastic about Judaism, but Jewish by birth and nominally of Jewish religion). He was, furthermore, a descendant of the Hasmonean (Maccabean) dynasty. The situation would be similar to what is happening today with the House of Saud. And yes, he could be quite brutal at times, but he wasn't called "the Great" for nothing - Judea achieved its most impressive level of development and architectural achievement under his rule, including the Second Temple, Masada, etc.
The reverse is the case: the writings says there was never a utopia!
The rabbinic writings, yes. The Zionist writings blame all the trouble on outsiders or other religions.
The greeks proposed an amalgamation after they studied the Septuagint, and wanted Moses to be a universal figure. This sublime premise fell because the greeks also wanted Paganism mixed with Monotheism: Zeus alongside the Hebrew God.
True.
This is also the reason the greeks never forgave the Jews, and instigated Rome to re-activate its heresy law.
False. Which Greeks instigated Rome to do this? When? Where? Who? 
Rome wasn't motivated by the Greeks, but by disorder in Judea.

Finally, the "head-bashing deities" of the Greek and Roman religions were far, far less violent than the jealous, genocidal tribal god of Judea

Far, far less violent? Have you read descriptions what brutality Rome did
Are we talking about the gods, or about the people? You said "head-bashing deities". 
As far as the people go, yes, the Romans could be brutal to their enemies, but so could the Hebrews.
In fact the Hebrew bible forbids the taking of even a single cubit of land outside the miniscule area alloted them.
Yes, but it also says things like: "In the cities of these peoples that the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, you shall not leave alive anything that breathes. But you shall utterly destroy them, the Hittite and the Amorite, the Canaanite and the Perizzite, the Hivite and the Jebusite, as the LORD your God has commanded you, in order that they may not teach you to do all the things which they have done for their gods."
The Grecko-Roman religions are dead - by implosion, and of their own - because it was horrific and depraved, abusing inalienable human rights, liberty, women's rights, animal rights, democrasy and everything which is an affront to humanity today and what is aspired.
First you get angry at the false stories the Greeks told about the Jews, but then you turn around and do the very same thing. 
The Greek belief system was not some Nazi orgy of murderous barbarism, however fanatically you might wish it was. One of the reasons Greeks and Jews interacted so much was because they were very similar cultures in some ways - they were both very literate and philosophical about the world. Greco-Roman philosophy produced many progressive ideas about moral behaviour, which greatly inform the modern world. Many of the things you mentioned are actually values we inheirited from the Greeks - democracy, the idea of rights, the idea of liberty.

In practice, what this meant was that they'd show up and say "Hey! That's a fine god you've got there. He's just like our god, Zeus! We have alot in common ... you know, since they are so similar, they're probably just different names for the same god, different ways of honouring the same god! Isn't this great! Let's share our gods, you show us how you worship him, we'll show you how we worship and we'll learn how to honour Zeus-Yahweh better." Most of the time, with other pantheists, this went over very well. But obviously this is incompatible with the Abrahamic system of belief

Your totally wrong, and have not a clue what Monotheist belief is. Try telling your reasoning to Muslims for example, who are Monotheists? Now Judaism does not tell you what to believe - why should you bother what they believe? This is what the war with the hellenists and Rome was all about - they would not allow another their beliefs unless Polytheism was accepted alongside - you have totally disregarded this and made the victims the bad guys.
Please read what I've written again. You seem to have made a great effort to misunderstand, and I'm afraid you sound a little crazy here. Your response is just ... bizarre. It's like I've said "it's a potato" and you've said "It's not a sirloin steak!! Don't you get it ... it's a potato!"

The secret was strict monotheism. Which meant no Zeus and no divine Roman Emperors. Were the Hellensists and Romans not violent about their beliefs?
Well ... I guess you could point to Socrates and say that they were, in a sense. But if you're familiar with that case you'd know it's not as simple as that. They didn't go to war with people because they refused to accept Zeus. Look at Alexander for instance - his idea was to unite the cultures in a brotherhood of humankind, and even tried to force the Greeks to accept Near Eastern customs (which didn't go over so well, though it wasn't resisted with "Dagger-Men" killing people in public and Zealots burning towns down). They went to war like communists or democrats, they believed their way - their society, not their religion - was superior and they were liberating people from tyrants, especially in the Near East. It was as hubristic and flawed then as it is today, but the thing to keep in mind here was that it wasn't religiously motivated - it was politically motivated and spurred by secular ideals. The same is true with Rome.
With power in your hands, would you massacre all those who refuse to give up their Monotheism
But they didn't. They massacred people for rebelling against their political authority, not their religion. The Romans grudgingly accomodated monotheism in Judea, but would not accept challenges to their political authority. And that's what the cult of the emperor was about, political authority thinly veiled as a religious practice. 
accuse them of being secretive? The Hebrew bible is the most read of all bibles and the first one translated to other languages. Very secretive, no? Clap
Well, yes, today it is. But how widely read is the Talmud? Wink
The Talmud was what the Greeks were really curious about and they couldn't access it. Most of the interest in Judaism came from philosophers and scholars, who weren't interested in stories about magical apples and talking snakes or elementary moral principles - they were interested in the Talmud, because it contains the philosophical, legal, and ethical discussions of the rabbis. For obvious reasons, this was the "dope" as far as Greek philosophers were concerned.

Edited by edgewaters - 08-Dec-2008 at 03:08
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 03:06

As you are aware, I didn't claim the Greeks ruled the island, only that they reached it (something you didn't realize until I gave you a search term: Pytheas). Pytheas called the people who lived there Prittani from which the Romans derived Britannia. So, again, no - the Romans did not invent the term. They merely Latinized the Greek name for it.[/quote

OK, you win here. The Romans took the greek name and then termed it as Briton. And Briton, but not Prittani, was coined by Rome. Does this make all links which says Rome coined the name Briton as false?

OK, you win here. The Romans took the greek name and then termed it as Briton. And Briton, but not Prittani, was coined by Rome. Does this make all links which says Rome coined the name Briton as false?
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 03:25

Does this make all links which says Rome coined the name Briton as false?

This is one of the problems with using the Internet as a source. Common misconceptions are widely repeated on the net. The etymology of "Britain" definately does predate the Romans. It's not even Greek because Pytheas didn't make it up and it's not a Greek word: Pytheas reported that this is what the tribe he encountered called themselves (though most likely, it was just the name of one tribe, not the island as a whole).

IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 04:09

Does this make all links which says Rome coined the name Briton as false?

This is one of the problems with using the Internet as a source. Common misconceptions are widely repeated on the net. The etymology of "Britain" definately does predate the Romans. It's not even Greek because Pytheas didn't make it up and it's not a Greek word: Pytheas reported that this is what the tribe he encountered called themselves (though most likely, it was just the name of one tribe, not the island as a whole).

I believe it connects to phonecia, when it was allied with Israel, and made many sea journeys under Solomon's navy.  The greeks took many things from phonecia and Israel, then promoted i as theirs. E.g. democrasy and alphabetical writings - which can surely cause more delfection of this thread subject. Bet you guys thought these were  Greek inventions!?

However, I don't see the linkage of Briton by Rome as being incorrect; the contextual application of Briton is vested with Rome, and the earlier linkage is deflective of the fundamental factor, superflous and irrelevent.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 05:03

I believe it connects to phonecia, when it was allied with Israel, and made many sea journeys under Solomon's navy.

Solomon's navy, lol ... what are you, a puffer-fish?

Anyway, the phoenicians were trading with the Britons (though Solomon was not involved, I assure you!) and Pytheas' journey could indeed have had something to do with their trips, as the Greeks were seeking the source of tin (for bronze) which the Phoenicians were importing. That's why they founded Massalia (modern-day Marseilles), to cut the Phoenicians out as middle-men by using the Gauls as intermediaries.

But, it's not a phoenician word either. It is certainly a Celtic word, given the meaning Pytheas reported ("painted people").

The greeks took many things from phonecia and Israel, then promoted i as theirs. E.g. democrasy and alphabetical writings - which can surely cause more delfection of this thread subject. Bet you guys thought these were  Greek inventions!?

No, everyone knows that the Greeks borrowed the Phoenician alphabet. Greek democracy, though, didn't have anything to do with the Phoenicians (and certainly not the Israelites, who were the very definition of oligarchy). But they did borrow alot of other things - the trireme, for instance. Alot of their science was from Egypt or Mesopotamia too. And the Romans borrowed some of their most famous weapons and armour from none other than the Celts.

The Greeks and the Romans were never afraid to adapt what worked from other cultures - it's one of the chief reasons why they were so technologically, militarily, and economically succesful while other great empires like Persia and Egypt began to stagnate and languish.

However, I don't see the linkage of Briton by Rome as being incorrect; the contextual application of Briton is vested with Rome
Well, no, because it isn't a different word or used in a different context. It's just a Roman pronunciation - same as England vs Angleterre or Great Britain vs Grand Bretagne, sounds different, spelled different, but it's the same word/phrase with the same meaning and same origin.

Edited by edgewaters - 08-Dec-2008 at 05:09
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 05:48

Solomon's navy, lol ... what are you, a puffer-fish?

LOL. Shows where you get you histry from: strictly European ballroom dancing, and woe to anything not attached to the NT and Europe.

Anyway, the phoenicians were trading with the Britons (though Solomon was not involved, I assure you!)

The phonecians and Solomon were allies, had numerous joint trade ventures, including a commercial fleet of vessels - well before Briton hit the radar. Just because Solomon was not one of the apostles and just a Hebrew...?

But, it's not a phoenician word either. It is certainly a Celtic word, given the meaning Pytheas reported ("painted people").

All words can be traced to somewhere. But Rome came up with the term BRITON & Londinium as we know them today. Your deflections do not impact here.

No, everyone knows that the Greeks borrowed the Phoenician alphabet.

True. But no one can show us greek alphabetical writings pre-Septuagint, and the world's greatest historican, Josephus, claims Greece got its alphabeticals from the Hebrew. The greeks also admit this fact. Europe is not interested in any history which does not connect with the NT, and islam forbids anything as infidelism if it is not also sanctioned in their scriptures. What else is new.

Greek democracy, though, didn't have anything to do with the Phoenicians (and certainly not the Israelites, who were the very definition of oligarchy).

Both democrasy and seperation of state and religion, come from the Hebrew bible, as does Evolution, Entropy, Medicine and the oldest active and most accurate calendar: both the day and the week were introduced in Genesis.

THE MAJORITY DECIDES - is NOT democrasy. What was practiced in Greece was also not democrasy.

'YOU SHALL NOT FOLLOW A CORRUPTED MAJORITY' = Democrasy.

Here's how it works, so put your math & logic lens on.

Sadaam Hussein scored 100% votes, while poor Arafat could only manage a lousy 96%. Which of those is democrasy?

But if we preamble democrasy as does the Hebrew bible as a mandated law, you have the following situation:

Preamble. The voting population must have free choice with no fear or enforcement attached. This factor alone results in democrasy, with no other place to go than what true democrasy is. If that is not vested in the preamble, you have no democrasy. The Hebrew bible zooms into the core factor, which is the shortest distance between two points. And this factor was not greek but hebrew - in fact Greece totally disregarded this fulcrum factor.

Alot of their science was from Egypt or Mesopotamia too. And the Romans borrowed some of their most famous weapons and armour from none other than the Celts.

Of cource, all nations have contributed to humanity and its accumulated wisdom. The first scientific equation in recorded form, is that the uni is finite [Genesis]. Whichever description of the uni one accepts, if the preamble does not define which uni it is discussing, a finite or infinite one - that is not science - it is gibberish.  Genesis points the way how to debate the universe upfrnt and in its opening verse - the universe had a 'BEGINNING'! Everything in science must thus allign with that preamble.

the chief reasons why they were so technologically, militarily, and economically succesful while other great empires like Persia and Egypt began to stagnate and languish.

This is a wrong view of history and humanity. The wars never helped those nations, and they are all in the bins of history today. This is because they had no moral/ethical agenda for humanity. Today, the world turns exclusively by the laws enshrined in the Hebrew bible - and not a oner comes from any other source. Very annoying statement, but its correct also. In the future, humanity will not be ruled by names of messengers, only by a correct message [aka, laws]. If you can posit any correct good Roman or Greek laws humanity should harken to, I will listen. Note: the Roman law of inter-marraige is doubtful it occured for any other reason than to allow Romans to marry its conquered peoples, nor does the Hebrew marraige laws forbid inter-marrying [E.g. Story of Ruth]. I know of no laws the world accepts in its institutions from the NT or Quran. Good laws transcend all other powers - the universe itself stands upon majestic laws of engineering and maths.

Edited by IamJoseph - 08-Dec-2008 at 05:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>