Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the most powerful empire ever to grace us?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Poll Question: Wich empire could kill the rest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [15.09%]
20 [37.74%]
1 [1.89%]
3 [5.66%]
2 [3.77%]
3 [5.66%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [7.55%]
6 [11.32%]
4 [7.55%]
2 [3.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the most powerful empire ever to grace us?
    Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 13:57
What was the most powerful ever to be created?What empire could conquer all the rest.Who had the best army, navy etc.
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 14:59
Any empire with nuclear weapons beats any empire without them.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 16:42
Very true

I personnaly think the best empire (pre nucs) was the romans since they lasted a thousand years you have to be doing something right to last that long, and they were very advanced for their time, and they wern't to proud to employ an enemy weapon that was better than their own. All the other bigger empires like Genghis Khan's or Alexander's fragmented into smaller states a few years after they're making 

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 20:52
Originally posted by gcle2003

Any empire with nuclear weapons beats any empire without them.

LOL

The wisdom of Graham. Wink.

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 00:27
Maybe the question should have been defined a little more clearly?

In the pre-nuclear era, no one, but countries still tried anyways. There are atleast a dozen notable contenders. As far as too whom they are, this forum is littered with the remains of threads with discussions setup like this, which had lead me to my conclusion in the beginning of this post and my vote for "other". I believe this forum has a search engine, if you wish to look around a little more?

Post nuclear, i think Graham summed it up rather nicely.
Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 02:50
At its height, for that brief period in history between the defeat of the Khwarizm Shah and the defeat of the Southern Song, the Mongol Empire is easily the most powerful empire existing then and could potentially defeats almost anyone in the world who are not entrenched in tropical jungles. 
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 03:04
By that do you mean the empire of G.K?

Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 03:54
The Empire of Genghis Khan up until the beginning of the reign of Kublai Khan, after which the Empire began to break up (the Ilkhanate and the Golden Horde were warring by the 1280s.)
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 04:27
So by the time of his grandson the empire had fragmented? not much of an empire in my opinon. Whereas the romans lasted a thousand years

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 05:13
I don't know how you are counting a thousand years.

At the extreme end, say, first punic war to fall of Constantinople, you'd count 1453+241 = 1694 years. (Although I don't think that's a fair count)
Clean it up a little and say from Augustus to the 4th Crusade and you have 1204+27=1231 years (but I think the Roman Empire really should be subdivided)
So if we say the western empire from Augustus to the fall of Rome that would be 410+27 = 437 years. (Which I think is an accurate and fair reflection)
Then the eastern from Constantine to the Arab conquests: 634-325=309 years (which again I think is fair)
Whether after the Arab conquests you can still consider the Romans to be a major world empire I am quite dubious about, but certainly that period ended with the 4th crusade. So another 1204-634 = 570 years could possibly be added to the 309 years. But I think should be treated separately.

If you ignore the existence of Europe and go from Caesar to the Arabs there is 634+27 = 661 years. Or from the 1st punic war to the Arabs is 875 years.

I'd accept 437, 309, or 661 years ideally. But which ever way you look at it its still a long lived empire! Either way, 1000 years isn't valid.
So by the time of his grandson the empire had fragmented? not much of an empire in my opinon.

But the affect of those conquests was enormous, and far outweighs other longer lived empires

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 12-Oct-2008 at 05:17
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 06:40

bzantium lasted a thousand years and I'm thinking the romans pre- Julius so technically the romans lasted two thousand plus years

I thought after kublai died the khanates distenigrated into intenral squabbling and turmoil and fell and or fractured in matter of years not to great in my opinion

Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 13:01
The "Roman Empire" before the First Punic War is basically a collection is loosely allied states.

Also, most historians consider the Byzantines separate from Rome, although I tend to disagree.

Yes, after Kublai died all hell broke loose and the Mongol khanates began fighting each other (even when he was alive he couldn't stop the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate trying to destroy each other, and Central Asia was pretty much autonomous of Khanbaliq). Still, the Mongols' impact on history were enormous, and while their Empire lasted they were pretty much the most powerful people on earth. It's worth noting that each of the "fragments" of the Mongol Empire after the death of Kublai were still pretty powerful. The Yuan Dynasty lasted well into the 14th century, until the Black Death and the Red Turban finished it off, and after that the Mongols continue to be a major presence in Central Asia until the 1700s. Chagatai survived until the 1680s. The Golden Horde lasted until the end of the 15th century. One of the fragments eventually became the Mughal Empire.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 15:42
Well they were powerful no denying that, but what was their cultural and historical impact?

Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 20:17
It seams a  better explanation of the question is needed.What Empire at their time was the most dominint compared to any other empires dominince during their time?My empire for instence could topple any other nation in the world if I wanted to but I pity you humans and spare your lives.
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2008 at 05:24
Any nation which prevailed the longest, against the greatest adversities, is the most powerful.

Tomorrow, some 14 year old nerd may come up with a nullifying response to Nukes. All roads did not lead to Mighty Rome.

Q: Can anyone explain what is 'ALTERNATIVE FORUM'; no such thing in any Dictionary.
Moses - the First Zionist.
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2008 at 05:28
Also, most historians consider the Byzantines separate from Rome, although I tend to disagree.

Its the same people, in the same space-time, using the same divine man doctrine, and it continued the same decree of heresy. Then it crowned itself with the prefix of 'ROMAN' Catholicism. If there are differences, these would be very subtle and subjective.
Moses - the First Zionist.
Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2008 at 09:45
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Well they were powerful no denying that, but what was their cultural and historical impact?

There's significant regional impacts, eg in China (reunified, sea-borne imperialism, placed under foreign regime for the first time, paper money first used widely), Russia (large Muslim population, Buddhist republic on the Caspian Sea, rise of Muscovy), Middle East (depopulated, centre of power shifted away from Baghdad and Mesopotamia, etc) and of course Mongolia itself. The most significant impact was however the reopening of the Silk Road and the restart of trade and contact between East and West via Central Asia, and the transfer of people, ideas and technologies (and plague. The Black Death spread from China to Europe via the Silk Road).
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2008 at 11:50
Originally posted by IamJoseph

Its the same people, in the same space-time, using the same divine man doctrine, and it continued the same decree of heresy. Then it crowned itself with the prefix of 'ROMAN' Catholicism. If there are differences, these would be very subtle and subjective.

Byzantines were ROMAN Catholics? LOL You never cease to amaze.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2008 at 12:15
I wasn't aware we've had 11 world wars. Anyway isn't this historical amusement? It's pretty obvious it's not meant to be serious.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2008 at 17:56
Originally posted by Voskhod

Originally posted by Count Belisarius

There's significant regional impacts, eg in China (reunified, sea-borne imperialism, placed under foreign regime for the first time, paper money first used widely), Russia (large Muslim population, Buddhist republic on the Caspian Sea, rise of Muscovy), Middle East (depopulated, centre of power shifted away from Baghdad and Mesopotamia, etc) and of course Mongolia itself. The most significant impact was however the reopening of the Silk Road and the restart of trade and contact between East and West via Central Asia, and the transfer of people, ideas and technologies (and plague. The Black Death spread from China to Europe via the Silk Road).

I think the romans made a greater impact

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>