Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Croatia's borders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Croatia's borders
    Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 00:45
Originally posted by evilbu

Sorry for rushing into the discussion, but I am interested in the borders of Croatia itself.  How were they defined, or more precisely, when were they defined?  I know that the borders of the modern independent country were based on those of the internal borders of the republics within communist Yugoslavia that were drawn after WWII, but what were they based on?

The border with Bosnia seems to be based on the old border of the Ottoman Empire, the northern part of which simply corresponds with the Sava river. According to this picture :

that border is more than 300 years old.

What about the rest? I take it (correct me if I'm wrong) the border between Croatia and modern Hungary is almost exactly the same as the one between the "Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia" and the "Kingdom of Hungary"?

There was no precise criteria, all sorts of criterias were used in 1945 when the borders were being drawn. The very basic one for Croatia was the 1939-1941 autonomous Croatian Banate within the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, which was considered as its last legal predecessor. The only changes made was that it was decided that Yugoslavian Baranya is detached from Serbian Vojvodina and attached to Croatia, and that the historical territories of Bosnia and Herzegovina are intact, therefore removing all Croatian parts within it. Next to that, Syrmia was divided between Croatia and Serbia on ethnic basis, containing majorities on each side and a significant minority of the other's. And also, the newly aqcuired territories from Italy in WWII were all decided to be granted to Croatia (Istria, local areas near to Trieste, Rijeka, Zadar, many Adriatic islands), save for a tiny strip granted to Slovenia, which demanded to have an access to sea of any sorts.

These were the borders of the Croatian Banate:

http://www.hercegbosna.org/images/banovina.jpg
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 05:00
Croatia originally the territory name was alot smaller but Dalmatia and Slavonia and a few other regions were attached to it. Tito's saying was "a weak Serbia means a strong Yugoslavia" so alot of boarders were flipped around. Sort of like what Stalin did with the soviet bloc countries.
evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 19:58
And what about the border between Hungary and Croatia? What is it based on? When did it appear on maps in some form for the first time?
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 22:44

And what about the border between Hungary and Croatia? What is it based on? When did it appear on maps in some form for the first time?

I just told you, it's the 1939-designed Croatian Banate (Yugoslavia) - Hungary border, with the only change in 1945 that the Communists decide to give Croatia the Yugoslavian part of Baranya, hence giving it today's borders. What did you not understand?
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2008 at 19:33
I'm afraid you don't really understand my question.  That line between Croatia and Hungary has to be older than 1945, because it already appeared on maps after World War I when Yugoslavia and Hungary settled/established borders.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 13:59

I'm afraid you don't really understand my question.  That line between Croatia and Hungary has to be older than 1945, because it already appeared on maps after World War I when Yugoslavia and Hungary settled/established borders.

Er, that's what I am telling you. No, it isn't.

That's Yugoslavian-Hungarian border, not Croatian-Hungarian.
evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 20:16
Originally posted by Yugoslav

Now I'm confused.  Do you happen to know where I can find maps depicting the borders superimposed over each other?Confused
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 22:49

Originally posted by Yugoslav

Now I'm confused.  Do you happen to know where I can find maps depicting the borders superimposed over each other?Confused

Sure. Which in precise?
evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 22:52
Well everything is interesting, the borders of Croatia in post-1945 Yugoslavia, together with the interbellum border between Yugoslavia and Croatia, and the pre-dissolution of the Empire border between the "Kingdom of Hungary" and "Croatia-Slavonia".
Tongue
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 13:36

Well everything is interesting, the borders of Croatia in post-1945 Yugoslavia, together with the interbellum border between Yugoslavia and Croatia, and the pre-dissolution of the Empire border between the "Kingdom of Hungary" and "Croatia-Slavonia".
Tongue

Well, I couldn't find on the net true mixed ones, but try to compare the following:

Communist & present one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/SFRY_Croatia.png

WWII Ustasha independent State of Croatia

http://www.hercegbosna.org/images/ndh.jpg

1939-1941 autonomous Croatian Banate:

http://www.hic.hr/dom/288/images/pod01.jpg

And this is the Croatia-Slavonia to Hungary:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/48/Croatia-Slavonia-Kingdom-of-Hungary.png/300px-Croatia-Slavonia-Kingdom-of-Hungary.png
evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2008 at 19:48
I think I see now what you mean, there were some counties like Baranya and Zala that were not left completely within the new Hungary as well, when Yugoslavia was created after the first world war.

But I AM correct that the border between Hungary and Yugoslavia did not change after WWII, am I not?
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2008 at 00:30

I think I see now what you mean, there were some counties like Baranya and Zala that were not left completely within the new Hungary as well, when Yugoslavia was created after the first world war.

But I AM correct that the border between Hungary and Yugoslavia did not change after WWII, am I not?

Yep.
tolga View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tolga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 23:46
Carpatian wolf it is a mistake to call Bosnians re turkisized. Yet they re mostly muslim people. But that doesnt make them turk. they re bosnians. I have many Bosnian friend they have their own cultures and languages.

If you mean their choice of religion the term turkisized is wrong term
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 08:32
I dont mean to get off course in the conversation but I was just thinking, if the Serbs were in the area where the Sorbs are today and I read the white croatians were centered around Poland's Krakow (Chrobacja), you guys think the early Croats and Serbs might have somehow been closely related to the Polish Slavic tribes? I mean the language similarity is there. Alan tribes were in southern Poland as well... just a thought.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2008 at 20:06

There are few different locations for let's say polish episode of Croats. One is indeed around Kraków. The second is Upper Silesia, third somerewhere in Bohemia. Moreover Croats are mentioned as founders of Kiev (ogether with Polans and other tribes) there's also location betwwen Kiev and Carpathia mountains.

Precise location is very doubtfull as it always and only bases on relation to other tribes whose lacation is sometimes more doubtfullLOL

Serbs - I personally do not belive they settled anywhere in Poland. There are numerous cities which name resemble word   "Serb" but it could  be rather locations of war prisoners takken by Boleslav the Brave

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2008 at 20:37

Originally posted by tolga

Carpatian wolf it is a mistake to call Bosnians re turkisized. Yet they re mostly muslim people. But that doesnt make them turk. they re bosnians. I have many Bosnian friend they have their own cultures and languages.

If you mean their choice of religion the term turkisized is wrong term

I do agree with your deduction, however, CW has been banned thus no point in contending a topic with the beforesaid former memeber.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 10:48
Originally posted by Kiszuriwalilibori

Serbs - I personally do not belive they settled anywhere in Poland. There are numerous cities which name resemble word   "Serb" but it could  be rather locations of war prisoners takken by Boleslav the Brave

Serbs DID settle in the area that is western Poland and Eastern germany, the Lusatian Sorbs are remnants of that settlement.

...as for Kiev I thought the Ruriks founded Kiev(???)
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 10:49
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 13:38
A map is not credible evidence.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 20:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>