Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Croatia's borders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Croatia's borders
    Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 16:04
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Originally posted by Yugoslav

I guess Croat identity is quite old. "White Croats" were a part of Ancient Rus tribal confederation and are described in the Primary Chronicle of Russian monk Nestor written in the 12th century AD.

Yep, that would be those prior to the migration, or better said their 'cousins'.

The "White Serbs" - are the Sorbs.

In fact, Russian "Primary Chronicle" also distinguish between "White Croats" and "Serbs" listing them as separate Slavic tribes.

Yes, so?

By the way, I've been looking for Nestor's Chronicle everywhere, some help in citations perhaps? Wink
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 16:15

Sure.

"Спустя много времени сели славяне по Дунаю, где теперь земля Венгерская и Болгарская. От тех славян разошлись славяне по земле и прозвались именами своими от мест, на которых сели. Так одни, придя, сели на реке именем Морава и прозвались морава, а другие назвались чехи. А вот еще те же славяне: белые хорваты, и сербы, и хорутане."

My humble translation:

After a long time Slavs settled on Danube where there is Hungarian and Bulgarian land now. From these Slavs the other Slavs dispersed on land and took the names for themselves from the places were they settled. So, some of them settled on the river named Morava and called themselves Morava, the other called themselves Czechs. And there are also similar Slavs: White Croats and Serbs and Horutans.
Σαυρομάτης
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 16:25

Sure.

"Спустя много времени сели славяне по Дунаю, где теперь земля Венгерская и Болгарская. От тех славян разошлись славяне по земле и прозвались именами своими от мест, на которых сели. Так одни, придя, сели на реке именем Морава и прозвались морава, а другие назвались чехи. А вот еще те же славяне: белые хорваты, и сербы, и хорутане."

My humble translation:

After a long time Slavs settled on Danube where there is Hungarian and Bulgarian land now. From these Slavs the other Slavs dispersed on land and took the names for themselves from the places were they settled. So, some of them settled on the river named Morava and called themselves Morava, the other called themselves Czechs. And there are also similar Slavs: White Croats and Serbs and Horutans.

Could it be that he just missed to repead "white" saying "White Croats and White Serbs", or is there something more in it?
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 16:30
Yeah, it could be so.

Either way he says "White Croats and White Serbs" or "White Croats and (just) Serbs."
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 16:36
Hmmm....

I thought about it again and is seems that he actually means White Croats and (just) Serbs according to the punctuation in the Russian text. "белые хорваты, и сербы"

"White Croats, and Serbs"

I missed the coma in my English translation, but the meaning of it is supposed to be that "White" relates only to Croats.
Σαυρομάτης
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 17:38
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

There was a sense of ethnicity much earlier then that between Serbs and Croats.

In the Encyclopedia Britannica, Edition 1990, Volume 29, Macropedia, page 1098 Constantine VII refers to Bosnia for example as the land of the Serbs as early as the 900s.
The 900s date cited by Constantine VII cooresponds with the increase in tensions before the splitting of Christianity into Catholic and Orthodox halves in 1054 ad.  My guess is that after the schism of 1054, the Orthodox slavic tribes formally became "Serbs" while the Catholic tribes became "Croats".  

Edited by Cryptic - 23-Sep-2008 at 17:39
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 17:55
White Croats in Rus where mentioned as such by Russian "Primary Chronicle" when they were still Pagans and later they actually converted to the Orthodox form of Christianity.
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 19:06
For those who can read Russian.

I found an interesting paper by a student of the Sankt-Petersburg State University about the origins and early history of Croats.

Σαυρομάτης
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 20:51

Hmmm....

I thought about it again and is seems that he actually means White Croats and (just) Serbs according to the punctuation in the Russian text. "белые хорваты, и сербы"

I missed the coma in my English translation, but the meaning of it is supposed to be that "White" relates only to Croats.

...interesting... Confused
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 23:57
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Europe_1000.jpg

Found this map and I see a Serbia and a Croatia though Bulgaria is further west. Perhaps those were the "free Bulgarians" at the time.

Not a good map, as far as political boundaries go. There was no Serbia at that time, merely a bunch of principalities, Zeta and Rascia being the most prominent, but also several other, eg Bosnia and Dioclea. In the year 1000 they were all under Roman control at that.

Croatia was under its height in the end of the 11th century just before it was incorporated into the Hungarian crown. It covered pretty much todays borders plus most of modern B&H.

There was no Serbia as we know it today but to say there was no Serbia at all is to ignore the Emperor's "De Administrando Imperio". The Croats at the end of the 11th century did have large parts of Bosnia but a century earlier Bosnia is counted among the lands of the Serbs and would mostly be so until the advances of the Turks and the Turkification of some Serbs into "Bosniaks."
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 23:58

I guess Croat identity is quite old. "White Croats" were a part of Ancient Rus tribal confederation and are described in the Primary Chronicle of Russian monk Nestor written in the 12th century AD.

Yep, that would be those prior to the migration, or better said their 'cousins'.

In fact, Russian "Primary Chronicle" also distinguishes between "White Croats" and "Serbs," listing them as separate Slavic tribes.

You see es_bih yet another source of the time clearly specifying an ethnic difference between Serbs and Croats. Where did you get your information about the 1800s comment you made? I'm just curious.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 00:00

Hmmm....

...interesting... Confused

Yes this is accurate. There wouldn't be "White Serbs" in the balkans since "White Serbs" remained in White Serbia which is somewhere between Germany and Poland IIRC. There was also the name of "pagan Serbia" and "baptized Serbia" corresponding with the northern and southern branches.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 02:59

In fact, Russian "Primary Chronicle" also distinguishes between "White Croats" and "Serbs," listing them as separate Slavic tribes.

You see es_bih yet another source of the time clearly specifying an ethnic difference between Serbs and Croats. Where did you get your information about the 1800s comment you made? I'm just curious.

Oh you, you know what he meant to say!
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 03:02
The question was when was the split between Croat and Serb. And he said it wasn't until the 1800s. What does he mean? To me he means that before 1800s being Croat or Serb was indistinquishable.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 04:05

Found this map and I see a Serbia and a Croatia though Bulgaria is further west. Perhaps those were the "free Bulgarians" at the time.

Not a good map, as far as political boundaries go. There was no Serbia at that time, merely a bunch of principalities, Zeta and Rascia being the most prominent, but also several other, eg Bosnia and Dioclea. In the year 1000 they were all under Roman control at that.

Croatia was under its height in the end of the 11th century just before it was incorporated into the Hungarian crown. It covered pretty much todays borders plus most of modern B&H.

There was no Serbia as we know it today but to say there was no Serbia at all is to ignore the Emperor's "De Administrando Imperio". The Croats at the end of the 11th century did have large parts of Bosnia but a century earlier Bosnia is counted among the lands of the Serbs and would mostly be so until the advances of the Turks and the Turkification of some Serbs into "Bosniaks."

You interpret here, and use circumstantial evidence to create a wonderful theory, not a factual one however, yes a Serb tribe existed, and a Croat tribe, and a Hun tribe, and several Mongolian tribes, etc... Tribalism is a complex matter, and usually cannot be directly translated into an ethnic group especially in and around Europe at the time. You have various Germanic tribes that absorb others into their conglomerate, but it is only a few in the core that actually represent part of that tribe's core. You get the point.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 06:07
Originally posted by es_bih

You interpret here, and use circumstantial evidence to create a wonderful theory, not a factual one however, yes a Serb tribe existed, and a Croat tribe, and a Hun tribe, and several Mongolian tribes, etc... Tribalism is a complex matter, and usually cannot be directly translated into an ethnic group especially in and around Europe at the time. You have various Germanic tribes that absorb others into their conglomerate, but it is only a few in the core that actually represent part of that tribe's core. You get the point.

The point is that you said the difference between Croats and Serbs wasn't realized until 1800s yet we have Russian and Byzantine chronicles specifying Serbs, and the Byzantine chronicle by the scholar Emperor constantine stating that Bosnia was of the Serb lands specifically.

Now you can wiggle and squirm all you like but the facts are the facts and unless you have at least one source stating other wise no one has any good reason to believe your theory.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 11:29

You misunderstood me: I merely pointed out the map is misleading as it shows Serbia as a political entity, which it was not. This map is better, showing the various principalities two decades before the Romans ran over the area. The unnamed territories corresponds pretty well to Zachlumia and the land of the Narentines. Whether or not you want to consider Bosnia, or any other of those states, Serbian is down to politics and the definition of what is Serbian.  It's pretty difficult as well as pointless to apply modern definitions upon a society that was very tribal and later feudal. Personally I see little difference between them as such.

http://www.euratlas.com/history_europe/europe_map_1000.html

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 13:21

You misunderstood me: I merely pointed out the map is misleading as it shows Serbia as a political entity, which it was not. This map is better, showing the various principalities two decades before the Romans ran over the area. The unnamed territories corresponds pretty well to Zachlumia and the land of the Narentines. Whether or not you want to consider Bosnia, or any other of those states, Serbian is down to politics and the definition of what is Serbian.  It's pretty difficult as well as pointless to apply modern definitions upon a society that was very tribal and later feudal. Personally I see little difference between them as such.

Er, for various reasons (note: no disrespect towards the makers intended!) I consider euroatlas a source worse than the Wikipedia Dead It's just too many (huge!) errors, and it's not even questionable, but 100% certain borders, which is altogether sensible for someone who actually wants to map every 100 years of Europe.... Confused
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 13:36

Er, for various reasons (note: no disrespect towards the makers intended!) I consider euroatlas a source worse than the Wikipedia Dead It's just too many (huge!) errors, and it's not even questionable, but 100% certain borders, which is altogether sensible for someone who actually wants to map every 100 years of Europe.... Confused

Euroatlas is indeed ridden with errors, but this particular one is at least more accurate for the Balkans than the other map provided here. In general I can't say which one is best (or worse). I can understand the errors though, especially if you make so many maps. I've created similar (for different years) all-Europe maps and the workload is rigorous.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 15:25

Oh i know Serbia wasn't a political entity in the sense we may think of today. My point is that there were Serbs in the area. Just like there were Romanians in their area even though the Pechengs or Cumans were the ones doing the politics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>