Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Croatia's borders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Croatia's borders
    Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 09:05
I was in a discussion with a Croatian concerning Krajina and he said something along the lines that Croats had migrated to the Balkans before the Serbs and that the Croatian empire reached down to the boarders of Greece. I've searched to find a map like this and this person has not provided it for me either. I was wondering if anyone knew of such map.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 09:23
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

I was in a discussion with a Croatian concerning Krajina and he said something along the lines that Croats had migrated to the Balkans before the Serbs and that the Croatian empire reached down to the boarders of Greece. I've searched to find a map like this and this person has not provided it for me either. I was wondering if anyone knew of such map.

Well,  he's simply wrong. And to call the Croatian kingdom an empire is quite the exaggeration, to say the least. Both the Serbs and Croatians arrived sometime in the 7th century, but the exacty nature and timeline of the migration and settlement isn't known and will probably never be. In historical times, say since around 8-900, there were always Serbian principalities, and later on the kingdom, wedged in between Croatia and Bulgaria/East Rome. During some times Croatia did have borders with the Roman empire though - in Dalmatia - maybe that's what he confused it with.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 22-Sep-2008 at 09:23
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 10:03

Well, yes, there is a belief that Croats migrated before the Serbs, about perhaps several months before. Big%20smile This is accepted by Serbian historians, while many Croatian historians point it out as a blatant fact (I call dips! on the Balkans), however beyond belief in a sketchy and a not quite reliable story from the mid 10th century, there is nothing at all to speculate this.

There was no Croatian empire ever, and the theory you are talking about is population, and not statehood. It did not reach all the way to there, various Slavic tribes bearing the Croat name from the North Sea to the Pelopponesis peninsular settled various regions, just like the Slav tribes bearing the Serb name.

The only real promoter of that theory ever is a national romantic 19th century Croatian historian Ljudmil Hauptmann, who argued that there are no Serbs really, but that the Serbs were created from Croats, but he also believed that the Montenegrins are Red Croats, that Slovenes are Alpine Croats, that most of Austria and Albania are Croatian historical territories, that Bosnia is a core Croatian national province...and although he didn't go really into Bulgaria much, he did on one occasion speculize that they are Bulgarized Croats... Wink

Here is a map of the first Croatian state:

http://free-zg.t-com.hr/Andelko/Slike/DAIzupanije.jpg

Note hawever that  the regions of 13, 14 and 15 were gained after in due time because of territorial expansion (or so it is believed).
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 17:18
The guy I was talking with didn't seem all that bright to be honest. But it does sound like he aspired to "everybody is a Croat" type theory you just pointed out.

As for the arrival of Croats by a few months. Really they can figure that out? To me it makes more sense that the Serbs would have arrived before because they are further south. But to be honest in my opinion they were pretty much (and still are) the same people and probably arrived together and probably share a common origin. Even today just about any Serb or Croat you talk with has somewhere a Serb/Croat cousin, aunt or uncle.

Thank you for the answers but as to be as economic with this thread as possible I'd like to turn the conversation to another topic. The origin of the Croats/Serbs. Now from what I have read concerning the Serbs, they are related to the Sorbs and were part of the Alans/Sarmatian tribes. They were invited into the Balkans by the Roman (Byzantine) Empire to protect the boarders against the Avars. At first the Serbs weren't slavs however. They were Iranic and were a ruling class amongst the already settled slavs sort of like the Bulgars or even the Rus. So in the end the ethnic composition of them would be (from bottom to top) Romanized Illyrian/Thracian/Dacian, Slavic, "Iranic". I assume the Croatians have the same make up.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 23:58
The Croats have that same "theory" of being Iranic. I don't put much stock into either of them being so. Either way I don't put much stock into either ethnic group's purity - as Slavic settlement in the Yugoslav lands have been populated by numerous Slavic groups for the first part, aside from the various Germanic and Turkic groups that passed and stayed. The Illyrian settlements are what composes most of the gene pool of Yugoslavia- then the slavic and others in sucession. Anyway, as far as Croatia's borders, I think they have not been even close to Greece, Tomislav? defeated the Bulgars in the Bosnian highlands where he had nominal and in some parts actual rule over the various Bosnian warlords and princes. I don't think it ever passed much more south-east, and stretched into Dalmatia. The present borders are more accurate of Croatian control than any of these nationalistic inspired maps. 
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 00:10
Was there a split of Slavs to Serbs and Croats early in medieval? I thoght, may be wrongly, that this separation happened much much later.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 00:12
Much much later. There were states of the nominal tribes, like Croatia, or a kingdom of Serbia later than that, like a kingdom of Bosnia, but I sense that the ethnic makeup was a mix of slavs and illyrians and much more localized in their affiliations. The current ethnic identities emerged in the late 1800s.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 00:31
There was a sense of ethnicity much earlier then that between Serbs and Croats.

In the Encyclopedia Britannica, Edition 1990, Volume 29, Macropedia, page 1098 Constantine VII refers to Bosnia for example as the land of the Serbs as early as the 900s.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 00:36
That's a foreigner - not an actual source of the region - nor is it supported by a few others - especially once again numerous others. You keep re-quoting the same phrase for all your arguments lately. 
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 00:39
Originally posted by es_bih

That's a foreigner - not an actual source of the region - nor is it supported by a few others - especially once again numerous others. You keep re-quoting the same phrase for all your arguments lately. 

Foreigner or not a source mentions a distinct Serb ethnicity so your statement that this only emerged in the 1800s is incorrect.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 03:07
A local source has more credibility in defining the actual ethnic makeup of the poeple that source is a part of - much more so than some distant obeserver who relies moreso on already unrealiable hearsay-proxy based sources rather than actual intel. Does not actually mention anything distinct, it is a vague source - as you have already proven by posting it numerous times. I love your little Delusion-land you live in, one day I wish to join, it seems there constrains of facts and ethics and such things get lost in the clouds... 
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 05:55
I think the good Emperor knew whom lived on his lands. But perhaps you have a local first hand account that can disprove the Emperor's?

Can you? LOL

I do love how you think I care about your disrespectful opinion. I wish you could put it aside for once. Hey if wishes were horses right?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 06:00
Hmmm... and people were still being called Scythians in some account in some relatively contemporary accounts...but this particular one seems to be "right?" Enjoy your dellusions, they seem to serve you well. For me... no thanks... for I see you have a quarrel when a Croat claims that everyone is a Croat, but you are pulling the same bulls--t right now, too... of course your infine wisdom is right once again... yes even the Byzantines were proto-Serbs...
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 06:15
The reason people were being called Scythian is because of the way the Romans named people. They did it mostly based on geography. So if you for example were vietnamese and you somehow ran into the Roman Empire from the north, you were German. From the east, Scythian, etc. That is why even the Russians were called Scythians even though the Rus were Germanic and the people they ruled were Slav.

But you are confusing that way of catagorizing those people with the Balkans. There were no previous "Serbs". If perhaps he had said "the land of the slavs" perhaps he could have been right. But he specifies that Bosnia was part of "the land of the Serbs."

I never said everyone was Serb or that the Byzantines were proto Serbs. These are strawmen atop your ad homenims and I had hoped better from someone of your position.

Now I ask you again do you have a better source of the time that contradicts this statement and if you do not then perhaps the dellusions are not mine.

Edited by Carpathian Wolf - 23-Sep-2008 at 06:19
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 06:32
I guess Croat identity is quite old. "White Croats" were a part of Ancient Rus tribal confederation and are described in the Primary Chronicle of Russian monk Nestor written in the 12th century AD.
Σαυρομάτης
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 06:35
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Europe_1000.jpg

Found this map and I see a Serbia and a Croatia though Bulgaria is further west. Perhaps those were the "free Bulgarians" at the time.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 10:39
"Free Bulgarians" are simply Bulgarians of Samuil's Bulgaria.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 11:34
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I guess Croat identity is quite old. "White Croats" were a part of Ancient Rus tribal confederation and are described in the Primary Chronicle of Russian monk Nestor written in the 12th century AD.

Yep, that would be those prior to the migration, or better said their 'cousins'.

The "White Serbs" - are the Sorbs.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 12:17

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Europe_1000.jpg

Found this map and I see a Serbia and a Croatia though Bulgaria is further west. Perhaps those were the "free Bulgarians" at the time.

Not a good map, as far as political boundaries go. There was no Serbia at that time, merely a bunch of principalities, Rascia being the most prominent, but also several other, eg Bosnia and Dioclea. In the year 1000 they were all under Roman control at that.

Croatia was under its height in the end of the 11th century just before it was incorporated into the Hungarian crown. It covered pretty much todays borders plus most of modern B&H.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 24-Sep-2008 at 11:10
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2008 at 15:43
Originally posted by Yugoslav

Originally posted by Sarmat12

Yep, that would be those prior to the migration, or better said their 'cousins'.

The "White Serbs" - are the Sorbs.

In fact, Russian "Primary Chronicle" also distinguishes between "White Croats" and "Serbs," listing them as separate Slavic tribes.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 23-Sep-2008 at 16:05
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>