Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finding a patron saint to AE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding a patron saint to AE
    Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 00:22
Folks, we ought to be prepared to the remote possibility that after all the pope is not only talking non-sense about divorce but may also be right on some of the most essential aspects of life. If the Roman Catholic vision of the world happened to be true, we are behaving like a bunch of infidels good for damnation. So lets do something to save our immortal souls, lets pick a paton saint for this website so as to make it a little bit more godly. Maybe the bloke we'll pick shall talk in our favour on judgement day.

So who would you propose?

Personally I'd go for saint Nicolas, the patron saint of children and scholars. Any other idea?
I am a free donkey!
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 02:03
Saint Catherine of Alexandria, patron saint of teachers, archivists, librarians/libraries, philosophers, scholars, schoolchildren, students, scribes, theologians and the University of Paris, no less.

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 02:16

I'd vote Saint Catherine, could'nt we have more than one patron saint? 

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 02:23
Well, since so much of posting on this site is basically epitomizing what has been written by others and coupling it with analysis, I would suggest St. Photius.

-Akolouthos
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 02:30
What was he the patron saint of?

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 02:32
I'd honestly have to check. He was known for his scholarship (several modern historians have asserted that he was the greatest or among the greatest Christian scholars of the first millenium) and his commentaries.

-Akolouthos
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 02:52
None of the other suggestions have boobs.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 03:35
How about St. Ziggy,  The Patron Saint of the undecided.Big%20smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 09:46
If we follow the example of many organisations today, we must have a Saintperson who is either female or male [1] plus a Vice Saintperson [2] of the opposite gender. Or possible joint Saintpersons if we don't have term limits.

My own temptation here too often is to appeal to St Jude. Unhappy

[1] But not both.
[2] If the concept of a Vice Saint is not oxymoronic.

Edited by gcle2003 - 22-Sep-2008 at 09:47
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 10:26
St. Ciappelletto
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 13:22
St. Pope John Paul II

Reasons Why:

-We can relate to him because he lived in the same century(s) that we were born/lived in

-He dealt with many international issues that we love to discuss about

-He spoke many languages and was a learned man

-When I visited the Vatican he blessed my rosary beads
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 13:26
Would it be possible for the admin to recreate this post with a poll in it and the various options proposed?

I really like St Catherine of Alexandria as an patron for the following reasons:

1. She has boobs as Regi mentioned
2. She was involved in history (she met wit Maximian and she reappeared during the most discussed period of the crusades and she was a good friend of Joan of Arc)
3. Her symbol is the wheel which is particularly appropriate for a website devoted to history (vision of the repetition of time as well as the cycles in economic and natural history)
4. She comes from the East of the Mediterranean as a large number of AE's members
5. She had an order of chivalry named after her which is the ultimate cool
6. There is a lot of iconography about her
7. She is one of the mightiest saints in heaven which may always come handy
8. Her feast day is in November so we can celebrate it fairly soon
9. In French a Catherinette is a woman unmarried at 25and surely many of us can't date because they spend too much time on AE
10. Many famous universities have her as a patron (Paris, Cambridge...)

So I'd go for Catherine
I am a free donkey!
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 13:44
Catholics, bah.
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 14:05
You don't have to be catholic to celebrate St. Patrick. In fact most people here don't even know he was. You wear green and drink beer, and it has something to do with Ireland... Woo Hoo!!

Have a pint and say "grandma Haggit."

The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 15:19
I like Maharbbal's suggestion of St. Catherine of Alexandria, however I believe the patron saint of us moderators should be St. Barbara, who is the patron saint of firefighters, so that we can turn to her whenever we jump into a flame war.

As to the male counterpart to Catherine I would offer up St. Isidore of Seville:

Archbishop of Seville c.601, succeeding his brother to the position. Teacher, founder, reformer. Required seminaries in every diocese, wrote a rule for religious orders. Prolific writer including a dictionary, an encyclopedia, a history of Goths, and a history of the world beginning with creation.

Patronage
computer technicians
computer users
computers
the Internet
schoolchildren
students

Source: http://saints.sqpn.com/sainti04.htm

I think he fits our theme very well, therefore I would advocate joint patronage by Catherine and Isidore.

St. Pope John Paul II

First off, aren't we a little ahead of ourselves Ponce? Secondly I don't believe that what John Paul II did in life was truly "saintly" he was a great statesman of the church but I don't know if that quite qualifies. Personally I'd rather see Dorothy Day and others like her reviewed for cannonization way before JP2.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 15:23
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Catholics, bah.

Hey, if it weren't for Catholics, Gustav Adolf would have been merely the cousin of the King of Sweden.  LOL

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 15:25
With as much fighting as goes on here, how about a military Saint like St. George?

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 16:37
Originally posted by JanusRook

St. Pope John Paul II
First off, aren't we a little ahead of ourselves Ponce? Secondly I don't believe that what John Paul II did in life was truly "saintly" he was a great statesman of the church but I don't know if that quite qualifies. Personally I'd rather see Dorothy Day and others like her reviewed for cannonization way before JP2.

First off, I do not believe I ever get ahead of myself I am always where I need to be. Second I believe that he is saintly and so do millions of others who actually forced the Church to make his saint-hood process go even faster. I am sure there are other people in the forum who would agree as well.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 17:03
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

With as much fighting as goes on here, how about a military Saint like St. George?

I think that thats a good idea since he was pure, benevolent and wise and protected the people from the fire breathing dragon and got the girlClap, kind of like what the mods do with flame wars(only they don't get the girlWink), he put out the fire, and he would be perfect for the whole miltary history forum and all the versus articles in historical amusement

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 17:13
There can be only one choice......

There is an euphemistic phrase in German.

To puke.....

You have to call the Saint Ulrich........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>