Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cossack democracy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cossack democracy
    Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 10:08
The original "free" cossacks were well-known for their democratic social organization where each every 10 men elected their commander, and every 10 leaders of 10 men elected their commander of 100 men... and so on?
Was this democracy preserved pretty much after the Cossacks had been incorporated into the Tzarist armies?

Considering that they were a military society, democracy and military discipline is somewhat contradictory. How did they find and equilibrium between the 2?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 21:44
Originally posted by calvo

The original "free" cossacks were well-known for their democratic social organization where each every 10 men elected their commander, and every 10 leaders of 10 men elected their commander of 100 men... and so on?
Was this democracy preserved pretty much after the Cossacks had been incorporated into the Tzarist armies?

at first yes but gradually it ended. at first the zaporozhian vosiko was disbanded by Ekaterina, then during the nap wars reliance on Cossack contingents was so big that the czar had to cut their autonomy and introduced a nobility amongst them which made away with the old democracy and closer to the aristocratic monarchical european model. eventually durign the 19th century atamans were appoitned by the Czar who himself was the Ataman of all Cossack vosikos.

Considering that they were a military society, democracy and military discipline is somewhat contradictory. How did they find and equilibrium between the 2?

not necessarily, just because militaries have a hierarchy that doesn't mean you cannot vote your commanders. it happend occasionally throughout history, notably in Medieval/early modern Swiss armies and early Communist armies. democracy and military discipline is definately not contradictory.

Edited by Temujin - 05-Sep-2008 at 21:45
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2008 at 03:26
Originally posted by Temujin

at first yes but gradually it ended. at first the zaporozhian vosiko was disbanded by Ekaterina, then during the nap wars reliance on Cossack contingents was so big that the czar had to cut their autonomy and introduced a nobility amongst them which made away with the old democracy and closer to the aristocratic monarchical european model.

I wouldn't really say that those Russian Cossacks really became "nobles." Those were called "domovitye kazaki" in other words rich Cossacks.

In the Ukrainian case, however, it's interesting that a lot of Zaporozhian Cossacks captured land from former Polish aristocrates and declared themselves nobles. The descendants of those Cossacks formed the backbone of Ukrainian "nobility" during the times of Russian empire.

Originally posted by Temujin

not necessarily, just because militaries have a hierarchy that doesn't mean you cannot vote your commanders. it happend occasionally throughout history, notably in Medieval/early modern Swiss armies and early Communist armies. democracy and military discipline is definately not contradictory.

I agree it's not contradictory, because all the elections usually were done before the war or in the very beginning of the war. During the war itself however the lack of discipline and disrespect of hierarchy was puniched very severely by Cossack atamans.

In fact, it was a kind of common thing for milirary societies from ancient German, tribes, Vikings etc. to Mongols.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 06-Sep-2008 at 04:02
Σαυρομάτης
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2008 at 19:56
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I wouldn't really say that those Russian Cossacks really became "nobles." Those were called "domovitye kazaki" in other words rich Cossacks.

but Platov was the first Cossack to become the title Graf, and he was not the last one.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2008 at 03:19
There was a clear distinction between nobles and commoners in the Russian imperial society. Whether a person was a peasant or a noble played a lot of role. Also as a rule the nobles were owners of some serfs.

The society itself was divides into different social classes aka serfs peasants, free peasants, merchants, city dwellers and nobles, Cossacks were a part of this social hierarchy as a group called "Cossacks". And they were first of all as a whole viewed as a distinctive social group in the Russian society.

Moreover, so-called Cossack "nobles", almost never had serfs and also Cossack serfs simply didn't exist.

Granting a noble titles to the leaders of Cossack society was a way to provide a "favorable compensation" for the excellent service to the tsar. However, even after acquiring such titles Cossacks as a rule remained within the Cossack group of the Russian social hierarchy.

In other words, there was never such a gap between the Cossack atamans who were granted title by the tsars and Cossack commoners as it was between typical Russian nobles and Russian peasants-serfs.

The above however relates only to the Russian Cossacks.

A large part of Ukrainian Cossacks has in fact become Russian nobility in the very sense of this word. They had acquired numerous land possessiond in Ukraine and after the serfdom was introduced there in the 18th century they became serf owners as well. Just in a couple of decades afterwards they complitely integrated in the nobiliy class of the Russian social hierarchy and even forgot about their Cossack roots.

In case of Russian Don and other voiskos it was quite different. Those Cossacks who were granted aristocratic titles by the Russian emperors remained within the Cossack social group. And, usually, what made them different from other Cossacks was rather only that they were more wealthy.
Σαυρομάτης
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2008 at 15:47
Originally posted by Sarmat12

And they were first of all as a whole viewed as a distinctive social group in the Russian society.

but not vice-versa, thats your whole problem, but this would evolve just into another round of Cossacks as distinctive people. you should ask first why Cossacks were a distinctive class but not officers or soldiers in general. warrior classes existed for example in India.
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2008 at 16:56
If by the 19th century, most Cossack officers were appointed by the central Russian government, were they educated in military academies like officers of the regular army?
If this was the case, then what really made them still "Cossacks"? They would effectively had been identical to any Russian army officer, only that they commanded a Cossack unit.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2008 at 16:56

We can continue about the Cossacks as a distinctive class/group/ethnicity etc. in another thread. Let's stick to "Cossack democracy" here. Smile

Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2008 at 17:05
Originally posted by calvo

If by the 19th century, most Cossack officers were appointed by the central Russian government, were they educated in military academies like officers of the regular army?
If this was the case, then what really made them still "Cossacks"? They would effectively had been identical to any Russian army officer, only that they commanded a Cossack unit.

By Atamans Temujin meant the top commanders of different Cossack voiskos. However, middle and lower rank officers were appointed by Cossacks themselfes.

Cossacks essentially maintained their own way of life and training. All the Cossack males were trained in warfare including shooting, horse riding, fencing (usinng of shashka and saber), wrestling etc. starting from the age of five.

This made them a distinctive military class of people unlike any others in the social structure of the Russian empire.

By the end of the 19th century however, there were some reforms made including the introduction of military schools in Don region and other regions were Cossacks lived where Cossacks could acquire more "standard" military education.

Σαυρομάτης
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2011 at 19:59
The last Zaporozhian Ataman died a prisoner at the age of 100. By that time the Cossacks had become the Tsar's enforcers
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2011 at 17:24
Was Bogdan Hmelnitskiy elected as well? Geek
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2011 at 21:48
Bogdan who?
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2011 at 09:11
Bohdan Zynoviy Mykhailovych Khmelnytsky.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2011 at 20:49
Who was this Bohdan Khmelnytsky? Tell us more
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 18:14
I think it was the guy who was responsible for Biblical flood. Wikipedia has large entry on him.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 20:45
Wikipedia is not a credible source. Could you provide a link to a book or journal?
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2011 at 14:53
I dont know much about him as well. I herd his name from my Ukrainian friends. He was allied with Crimean Tatars againts Poland, thats all i know...
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2011 at 15:38
maybe this book will help you about it:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8OSY6PZU
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2011 at 17:00
Originally posted by Nick1986

Wikipedia is not a credible source. Could you provide a link to a book or journal?
The article in wikipedia about him is good and objective. I know his history well so can say so.

He was probably, because it is still disputed, the nobleman of Polish - Lithuanian Commonwealh who became the greatest cossack leader in history. Because of his personal problems with other Polish nobleman he initiated great anti-Polish revolt on Ukraine. When was defeated he called Russians for help. In result of his actions Poland lost eastern Ukraine but Russians didnt allowe the Cossacks for independence and their territory was incroporated to Russia. In general its a very interesting story and worth reading.

And the answer is yes, he was elected by cossacks for their hetman.

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2011 at 17:34
Welcome back Mr Mosquito. We missed you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>