Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester City Purchased By Arabian Billionaire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manchester City Purchased By Arabian Billionaire
    Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 03:23
As many of you probably already know, Manchester City was recently bought by Abu Dhabi billionaire Dr. Sulaiman Al-Fahim. While the sales and purchases of football clubs don't normally attract this much attention, there are rumblings in the football community surrounding the implications of this acquisition. Within days of the selloff, City broke the English transfer record by making Robinho the highest paid player on the island, and there have been constant rumors about the high-profile and expensive players the club is targetting. Dr. Al-Fahim has reportedly ear-marked one billion dollars ($1,000,000,000) solely for the acquisition of players, valuing Cristiano Ronaldo at $240 million, Kaka for another $200+ million, Juve keeper Buffon for anoth $100 million, with additional rumblings of bringing players like Lionel Messi, Cesc Fabregas and others. Regardless of how highly a club values a player, it will be difficult for them to fend off mega-bids like those, especially for young talent on smaller teams.

He has also reportedly given City manager Mark Hughes only three years to win the Champions League (mentioned in above link). Ambitious fellow this Dr. Al-Fahim.

Can the rest of the footballing community cope with such a huge influx of wealth? Smaller clubs are already hard pressed to compete with Europe's largest and wealthiest clubs (Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Manchester United etc.), and with Dr. Al-Fahim leading an ownership group of significantly greater wealth than even the traditional powers, what does this mean for football? Will the current world powers be willing to part with their best players for enormous amounts of money, at the displeasure of their fans?

So what do you folks think? Will Manchester City rise to the greatest heights of football, with the most dominating players in the world? Or will they collapse under the weight of having too many dominant players on the field? Will the world's top clubs freeze out Dr. Al-Fahim, refusing to give up their talent, regardless of the profit potential (although they say every man has his price...)? Will FIFA and UEFA try and flex their muscles should the situation get out of hand?

Discuss please!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 03:54
A few years ago Real Madrid bought several of the World' best players, and it did not do much really. Too many star players could potentially become a good thing... however, with that must also come a great chemistry and willingness for team work. If each player becomes his own sub-club by competing for fame this potential all-star MC team could become another mediocre bloated football club. Just my two cents.

On the other hand, Bayern (yes biased towards them, but looking at this with neutrality...) have done a far better job, acquiring young players, experienced players, stars, and growing players to stardom (Podolski).

King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 23:03
Well, I'm biased on this issue only because it involves my favorite player Robinho.  First, I was surprised like everyone else when they signed him because I thought Chelsea was gonna sign him.  I really excited for him to play with Deco and Essien and for Scolari.  But having said that Man City was one of the places I wanted him to go.  Man City already has Robinho's Santos day teammate Elano.  Shawn Wright Phillips is back with them and also Petrov is there too.  I really like the idea of three of them playing together.  Supposedly they are also targeting Berbatov from Tottemham.  I can live with those four up front.  

As far as Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Buffon goes I don't think they are worth that much money in football sense but Beckham is worth $250 mil, so I guess it's all relative.   I think though I can put together an entire Champs League winning team with no more than $150 mil at most though, he he.

As far as foreign investments in EPL goes, all other top teams in EPL, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal are owned by foreigners.  Perhaps it's the Arabian part that bother some people more than others perhaps. 

But having said that, the article posted by Kaysaar mentions their plan of attaining 18 players each worth $30 mil.  First thought that came to my mind, they are gonna have seven players worth $30 mil sitting on the bench.  I just don't see that happening.  But even if they spend just a half of that money it will affect the market for sure.  It reminds me of when Abramovich bought Chelsea.  I give much credit to Mourinho though.  It's not as easy to put together a group of superstars and make them work together. 

As far as the disparity the rich elite clubs and the smaller clubs, I don't know if there is a solution for it except some sort of salary cap or revunue sharing like the pro sports leagues in U.S.   Of course, I am a sucker for the underdogs and I want to see the fans from small markets to be able to celebrate championships.   But if I lived in London, Manchester, Barcelona, Madrid, Milan or Munich, of coursr I would want them to be able to spend as much as they can.  One thing bothers me though is that when they spend so much money to improve their marketing value more than making a better team, ie Beckham.

As for Man City, first of all, I want them play 'the beautiful game'.  I want that for every team but especially for the one that Robinho plays.  I believe they will with the squad they have right now, but what will that get you?  Will they able to break into top four with current squad?  Only if one of the top four is to have a very bad season.     

http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
 Post Reply Post Reply