Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leather Helmets?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leather Helmets?
    Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 23:12

When I was in high school only the Varsity got to wear the nifty new plastic brain buckets. [old term for helmet] I was never quite good enough for a regular varsity starter.

As a result I got to wear and use equipment that was out of the Red Grange era.  Kidney pads that stuck out over your belt, thigh pads etc.  And...........A criss cross support, Leather Helmet.  We did have face masks, such as they were.

Is there anyone else here that got to experience the thrills of playing Football in 40 year old obsolete equip.

There are a few I suspect of playing without a helmet.Big%20smile

Edited by red clay - 28-Aug-2008 at 23:30
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 03:00
Tongue

Reminds me of old Bears clips
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 14:22
In this era of tear-away jerseys and fancy visors, it's our delight to have on board a living relic of a bygone era. Red, did you also play Pop Warner? The man not the league!Embarrassed

My first full uniform was for neighborhood football. We had about five teams in town all suited up for war. I had a NY Jets helmet. Namath, you know.
 Post Reply Post Reply