Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beijing 2008 - Olympic Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beijing 2008 - Olympic Games
    Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 04:49

I agree on the chinese gymnasts age not being 16.  On an unrelated note...

Phelps wins 8!  Has to be considered for greatest achievement in sports history.  Also the mens 100m was remarkable.  Usain Bolt of Jamaica wins with a 9.69!  (or .68)  Smashing his own previous world record, the amazing part is he was celebrating 15 meters from the finish, the commentator said if he hadn't he possibly could have run a sub 9.60.  Incredible.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 06:42
Lightly dressed Girl, who burry their balls into the sand - I love beachvolleyball.

Meanwhile Germany and Iceland are continuing their way to handball quarterfinals.
Germany made a 24:24 vs Russland and Iceland had a tie against the Danish brothers by 32:32.

Now i watch Men's 50m Rifle 3 Positions Final .Very interessting, might be some athlets from Mongolia or Korea, with beta blocker or not, will hit the target or not. 

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 15:09

One of my fellow tribesmen lost in the skeet final, at least he reached the final and that is good. Hope my cousin is able to reach the next olympiad and given leave because he was denied one this time though he will be 40 by that time.

Al-Jassas
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 17:43
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Meanwhile Germany and Iceland are continuing their way to handball quarterfinals.
Germany made a 24:24 vs Russland and Iceland had a tie against the Danish brothers by 32:32.

We are gonna get You in quaterfinalsCool
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 17:59
Why is it that Turks dominate strength sports like wrestling and weightlifting? many of the medallists are either from central asia, Russians from  turkic ethnicities, or turkic ethnicities from former soviet republics? On the other hand Tukey really flopped this time with just 2 medals.

Al-Jassas
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 22:55
Originally posted by Justinian

I agree on the chinese gymnasts age not being 16.  On an unrelated note...

Phelps wins 8!  Has to be considered for greatest achievement in sports history.  Also the mens 100m was remarkable.  Usain Bolt of Jamaica wins with a 9.69!  (or .68)  Smashing his own previous world record, the amazing part is he was celebrating 15 meters from the finish, the commentator said if he hadn't he possibly could have run a sub 9.60.  Incredible.
Yeah and the triple from Jamaica`s girls too. I love the 100m finals. It's a fair competition between the last 8 girls or boys, perhaps the fairest competition at allWink.
By the way! Hadn't the Jamaica sprinters some problems before the Olympic games? What was it?Smile
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 05:43
The Jamaicans definately appear to be running circles around the competition i must say.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 11:39
dam those British! trying to break, what a twenty year tradition, of Aussie superiority at the Olympics. we are now neck to neck in gold and we never finish strong in the medal tables 
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 11:51
Well it is nice to see that the Lottery funds and others which have been pouring money into the support and infrastructure of the various sports is at last having an effect.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 12:32
Kate Ellis (Aus Minister for Sport) and her British counterpart have a bet that the country that scores less medals must wear the opposing countries uniform in parliament for a few weeks.

I have to say, and I am aware that we are 3rd on the medal tally at the moment, that I don't think Aus has a particularly strong team this year.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 15:22
yeah we missed out on two golds by a faction of a second, something like 0.008 in the swimming. twice to the Germans.

No not our strongest team. double digit golds is a good show.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 15:26
nah those pesky British are third again!

12 vs 11Angry
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 18:16
That was the first time I saw a 200m Jogging competition. It's an absolute impudence. When he likes to dope untill the top of his hairs, he shouldn't celebrate it. Kick him off!
Germany has won a gold medal in weight lifting. It's a very sad story, he lost his wife some time ago in a car crash. I wish him all the best and I wish that he is clean. Eleven Bulgarian weight lifters were convicted guilty of doping and the Greeks didn't start, too. The only Bulgarian weight lifter should have start for Quatar, but he didn't came to weigh. So he wasn't allowed to start. So if I close my eyes I can believe our man was the best of the non-doped rest.....I try it as hard as I can, it won't work.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 19:36

Beach Volleyball is a happening place. American teams are doing very well. Nice tunes over the loudspeakers too.

Why is it that the CBC always has good Olympic coverage?

NBC's main station has been nothing but swimming and gymnastics most of the time. Throw in cuddly stories of the Phelps women and it's like your watching 'The View'.  

Little Shawn Johnson finally got her gold at these Olympics on the balance beam. One little Chinese girl got a bronze even though she landed on a knee jumping from the vault.

I like the Mongolian boxers. They look like praying mantis'. They won't get gold but they did impress none-the-less.

American boxers are losing big time. They call home to their private coachs for advice. Maybe they should stick to the team gameplan and only listen to their Olympic coach's next time.

How about the men's Baseball game between China and the USA? Nothing like beaning a few American batters and bowling over the Chinese catcher to get temperatures rising.

Hey Phelps is done with these games. What will NBC do now? Waste a whole hour on how he will be marketed?

Need more Ping Pong, Cycling, and Soccer. Soccer? If you live in the US bet you didn't know Nigeria and Argentina will be playing for gold. Bet NBC still doesn't know.

Edited by Seko - 19-Aug-2008 at 19:56
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 20:06
Originally posted by Seko

Why is it that the CBC always has good Olympic coverage?

Well those guys have been covering the Olympics pretty good since the 80s. Practically same crew of commentators. They always shine a bit of light on Canadians in the event but they usually also give big applause to the winners and those who medal. I think they also enjoy showing the non spotlight events. NBC will a lot of times pull right out of the event if Americans don't make the finals. NBC made a fortune on these games. None of the Toronto local Chinese channels were allowed to show the games due to rights of either the 2 channels. My future in laws were kind of disappointed about this as they are about as nationalistic Chinese as you can get and hoped to watch the Chinese teams more then was shown.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 09:16
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Lightly dressed Girl, who burry their balls into the sand - I love beachvolleyball.

Now i watch Men's 50m Rifle 3 Positions Final .Very interessting, might be some athlets from Mongolia or Korea, with beta blocker or not, will hit the target or not. 

You got usOuch in quaterfinal 30:32 and our volleyball team lost to Italy 2:3. Disastrous day for Poland.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 18:39
Bolt does it again! 100m, 200m ... Aside from Phelps is there a more exciting athlete than this Jamaican phenom?

Hey there was some good Ping Pong on the tube yesterday, alright.

Imagine tossing a frisbee, weighing in at 1 kilgram, over 64.74 meters (212' 5"). That's what American Brown Tafton did on her first try for gold.

After watching her central asian brothers reap the glory, Turkey finally wins a gold medal. Knowing that a bronze in Greco-Roman would never be enough for sensitive Turkish egos, in the 66kg weight class the current World champion Ramazan Shahin kept his end up at freestyle wrestling over rivals from Gerogia, Iran, Cuba, and the Ukraine. A medal in featherweight boxing is on the horizon tomorrow from his countryman, Yakup Kilic.

Is the circus known as gymnastics over? Good. I think we get the point. He who holds the olympics gets a nod and a wink from the judges.

How about US water polo teams? Never thought both men and women would be in the hunt.

That's more like it. Russia is back up there with the big boys where it belongs. The Olympics would not be the same without a good scare from arch rivals.Wink

I know field hockey is an olympic sport but should it be? I mean crouching over a deformed mini stick with the head (blade) the size of a softball is fine and dandy for a hunchback, but for grown adults? No wonder even the good players look like they belong on a high school intramural team.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 19:34
Originally posted by Seko

Is the circus known as gymnastics over? Good. I think we get the point. He who holds the olympics gets a nod and a wink from the judges.

no there's still two more competitions i think. i definately want to see Alicia Sacramone again Star
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 20:03
Iceland Now Semi-Finalist in Handball at Olympics

The national men’s handball team beat Poland 32-30 at the Olympics in Beijing this morning and has thus made it to the semi-finals and will compete for a medal. The Icelandic team was ecstatic about the victory over such a difficult opponent.

According to visir.is, this is the third time in the history of handball that Iceland has made it to the semi-finals in a large tournament, the second time at the Olympics. But Iceland has never won a medal.

During the first half of today’s game everything worked out for the Icelandic team; the offensive and the defensive play as well as the goalkeeping. The score was 19-14 for Iceland at half-time, visir.is reports.

The second half was more difficult. Poland managed to narrow the gap to one goal, 22-23 after 13 minutes of the second half. But Iceland stayed focused, especially goalkeeper Björgvin Páll Gústavsson who deflected 23 goals in the game in total.

Alexander Petersson scored the two last goals for Iceland and secured its victory. Ingimundur Ingimundarson and Sverre Jakobsson played an excellent defensive game, blocking Poland from scoring time and time again.

Earlier this morning France beat Russia 27-24 and have also secured their place in the semi-finals. Today at noon, South-Korea and Spain play and the winner of that game will play against Iceland at noon on Friday, ruv.is reports.

Til today Iceland had won 3 medals at the Olympic games, ever. A silver (1956) and two of bronze.Time for the first gold medal.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 22:43
Argentina vs US in basketball should be a good one. A loss by the US will hopefully put to rest(no more excuses) that US basketball should always win and that the rest of the world can play ball just as well.

Bolts 200m win was very lopsided and for these games he's certainly in a class of his own.

I found it odd that Lui Xiang, who looked obviously hurt when he came out for warm ups, would go through all the routine and what not just to walk off the track. Did he have choice on this or did he have to go out there. This injury seemed like it was one that had been there for awhile. His coach said few months ago "an official from the state general administration of sport once told us that if Liu cannot win a gold medal in Beijing, all of his previous achievements will become meaningless." Poor guy didnt seem to have a choice kind of like Guo Jingjing. I wonder how that effects the insurance on his legs.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>