Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslims or Catholics for Orthodox survival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslims or Catholics for Orthodox survival
    Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 14:34
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Wake up Leo,The Balkan states have been independent for nearly 200 years and got no where. Korea in the 1950s was in a worse shape than even todays zimbabwe and yet look where they are now. Don't put everything on the Turks.

Al-Jassas

Withtout the Ottoman rule, the Balkan states would have been much more developed and less corrupted.

Not at the level of Western Europe, but closer than they are today.

And with a Catholic rule they would have been even more civilised, but also this would lead to an alteration of the Orthodox spirituality.

I think the Balkan peoples in 14-18th century would have prefered the Ottoman rule than a Catholic rule, just because for them the integrity of faith was more important than the economical-social advantages. But in 19-20 century religion passed on a secundary plan and all the Balkan peoples consider a calamity the Ottoman rule that have been in their countries.

in Romania was a couple of mosques here and there, some garissons and settlers all of them were limited to a certain part of the country

A more important factor of the backardess than the tribute (financial, in products and if I'm not wrong in people too) was the Oriental influence in mentality which manifested stronger in the Phanariot period (18-19th centuries) when the Romanian principalities suffered mostly from the Turkish influence. Before 18th century the princes were nominated by the land boyars, in the Phanariot period they were nominated by Sultan from the Greek population of Phanar (a neighborhood of Istanbul) and they were extremely corrupted and backwarded the most the principalities. In this period, 18-19th centuries, the Principalities have been orientalized, before that there have been a more European spirit in society and culture.

Dobruja was the only part of today Romania under direct rule and was and perhaps still is the less civilised part of Romania, with all touristic industry of the litoral and the Constanta commerical port.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phanariotes

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 14:46
Originally posted by Menumorut

Wake up Leo,The Balkan states have been independent for nearly 200 years and got no where. Korea in the 1950s was in a worse shape than even todays zimbabwe and yet look where they are now. Don't put everything on the Turks.

Al-Jassas

Withtout the Ottoman rule, the Balkan states would have been much more developed and less corrupted.

And with a Catholic rule they would have been even more civilised, but also this would lead to an alteration of the Orthodox spirituality.

I think the Balkan peoples in 14-18th century would have prefered the Ottoman rule than a Catholic rule, just because for them the integrity of faith was more important than the economical-social advantages. But in 19-20 century religion passed on a secundary plan and all the Balkan peoples consider a calamity the Ottoman rule that have been in their countries.

This seems a fair and well-balanced opinion, I can agree with you.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 14:49
Originally posted by Władysław Warnencz

- in 1939 Bulgaria was the number six most developed economy in Europe.
Germany, Britain, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Czechoslovakia, Soviet Union - which seven of them (at least) were behind Bulgaria in economic development in 1939?
Rusevelt for example called Bulgaria "an economical marvel".
Do you have a source for that?
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 14:55
Originally posted by gcle2003

- in 1939 Bulgaria was the number six most developed economy in Europe.
Germany, Britain, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Czechoslovakia, Soviet Union - which seven of them (at least) were behind Bulgaria in economic development in 1939?
Rusevelt for example called Bulgaria "an economical marvel".
Do you have a source for that?

I meant not the biggest or strongest economy,but highest life standard.And although it wasn't more developed at that time than those you mentioned (exept for Czechoslovakia,Luxemburg and Soviet union) it was right behind them.

I don't have internet source - i have a book source called "History of Europe" by Norman Davies.

Edited by Władysław Warnencz - 03-Aug-2008 at 15:02
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 15:10
Originally posted by Evrenosgazi

I think that finally the balkans would be a part of the catholic world. At least with the rise of Habsburgs at the 16th century the balkans would be a part of the empire. I dont know how could they manage but the catholic states would force the people for conversion much more than ottomans.

If there are no Ottomans in Balkans, then Habsburgs wouldn't be able to inherit kingdoms of Bohemia and Hungary, which happened when the king of those two kingdoms died in the battle of Mohacs 1526 against Ottomans.
Thereby the east-central Europe would stay under the rule of Jagellonian dynasty (Bohemia, Hungary, Poland, Lithuania) for unknow amount of time. Habsburgs would be limited to Austria only.
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 15:50
Originally posted by Leonardo

Hello leo

You need to get your facts straits, Serbia and Montenegro was under full autonomy since the 1820s. The only vestiges of Ottoman rule in Romania was a couple of mosques here and there, some garissons and settlers all of them were limited to a certain part of the country. Only Bosnia and Bulgaria were under direct rule and all this ended after 1877, almost 130 years ago. After that oil was discovered in large quantities in Bulgatria and Romania and it was squandered all over the place. Korea on the other hand only got independence from Japan in 1945 and throughout the occupation the Japanese did things worse than even the French did in Algeria and that rule was the standard for brutality. Look now how they are and how is Romania and bulgaria. And if you are going to play the communism card look where China was 17 years ago and where it is now.

Al-Jassas 

The full indipendence of Serbia and Montenegro were recognized only after the Congress of Berlin (1878)  ... anyway my point was that the European regions which fell under the Ottomans are today the most underdeveloped in Europe and I have no reason up to now to change my opinion.

That was not a subject that ottomans wished. Anatolia was backward also and the turks were not prosperous also.
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 15:55
Originally posted by Menumorut

Al-Jassas

in Romania was a couple of mosques here and there, some garissons and settlers all of them were limited to a certain part of the country

A more important factor of the backardess than the tribute (financial, in products and if I'm not wrong in people too) was the Oriental influence in mentality which manifested stronger in the Phanariot period (18-19th centuries) when the Romanian principalities suffered mostly from the Turkish influence. Before 18th century the princes were nominated by the land boyars, in the Phanariot period they were nominated by Sultan from the Greek population of Phanar (a neighborhood of Istanbul) and they were extremely corrupted and backwarded the most the principalities. In this period, 18-19th centuries, the Principalities have been orientalized, before that there have been a more European spirit in society and culture.

Dobruja was the only part of today Romania under direct rule and was and perhaps still is the less civilised part of Romania, with all touristic industry of the litoral and the Constanta commerical port.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phanariotes
A good explanation I think. Also we know that the backwardness of the balkans were not only true for them. Eastern Europe was also less prosperous(Before and after the ottomans)
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 15:57
Originally posted by Leonardo

Originally posted by Evrenosgazi

I think that finally the balkans would be a part of the catholic world. At least with the rise of Habsburgs at the 16th century the balkans would be a part of the empire. I dont know how could they manage but the catholic states would force the people for conversion much more than ottomans.

The only developed part of Balkans is that which was under the Habsburg Empire, I mean Slovenia and Croatia (I know, moderndays Slovenians don't like to be considered as Balkanic and I can understand why ...) and Habsburgs didn't force people to change religion, orthodoxes and muslims (from Bosnia) were recognized in their religious rights. So Austro-Hungarian Empire was not less tolerant than Ottoman Empire and far more developed, as we can easily see in their modern heirs.

The end of 19th century is not even with medieval standarts
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 16:04

Al-Jassas
You're the obe,who should wake up and read some history - in 1939 Bulgaria was the number six most developed economy in Europe.Rusevelt for example called Bulgaria "an economical marvel".It was communism that made balkan and all eastern-european countries poor and undeveloped.

And Ottoman rule brought not simply economical but CULTURAL backwardness,because people under Ottoman rule didn't live through their own Renaissans,Enlightment age and other periods in European history...They were cut off of the christian world,not being able to produce their own great artists,writers,politicians and scientists (at least not as much as other christian countries).
Bulgaria-1939-6th economy, may be you are right. You can not always blame the ottomans for your nations defects, I know this is the easy way but you must think other matters

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 16:20
Hello to you all

I wish to commmentators would just take a look to pictures of the 1860s from bulgarian cities and compare them with Anatolian ones. The Ottomans spent much more money and effort to build those cities and bring economic prosperity. The Literacy rate there was higher than some of the other European countries while you can travel Anatolia from Diyarbakir to Bursa and seldom find a school while at the same time full education and provided for and funded from the state in the Balkan vilayates.

As for the support for South korea coming from the Americans, well, sorry man but the only support that came went to military dictators who made sure that a capitalist economy remained in Korea. it was great Koreans like chung ju-yung among other who build korean industry from scratch and with little government help. The US supported many regimes with muchmore money than Korea but look where they were and what they are right now.

Last time I checked there wasn't Bulgarian mobs running around shooting people during the Ottoman rule, The Ottomans didn't force Romania to join WWI and squander everything it achieved on a whim.

As for you Leo, I went around and checked the corruption index to see what is the standing of those countries saved by Austria from the Turkish yoke and where they stand in the world today and lo and behold, Bulgaria is less corrupt than Croatia and the former communist Baltic trio is far ahead in the list even above Solvenia. Hungary, 150 years under the Turkish yoke is also much more forward. Jordan and other Arab states also recently under the Turkish rule are all less corrupt so was Iraq before the recent invasion.

Corruption and backwardness is nothing but a cultural matter, some cultures tolerate the existance of factors of corruption and actually expect you to be corrupt, like cronyism here in Saudi Arabia, and others don't.

Al-Jassas
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 16:50

As for you Leo, I went around and checked the corruption index to see what is the standing of those countries saved by Austria from the Turkish yoke and where they stand in the world today and lo and behold, Bulgaria is less corrupt than Croatia and the former communist Baltic trio is far ahead in the list even above Solvenia. Hungary, 150 years under the Turkish yoke is also much more forward. Jordan and other Arab states also recently under the Turkish rule are all less corrupt so was Iraq before the recent invasion.

Do you have a link for that corruption index you checked? Just interested ...
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 17:07
Hello Roberts

Here it is, you will find that Slovenia is no. 27, Estonia 28, Latvia and Lithuania in the 40s, And the trio Bulgatria, Croatia and Turkey ties in 64th with notice that Bulgaria stayed at the same level for several years while Croatia advanced at an astonishing speed:

Al-Jassas
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 18:06
Just to get this straight, that shows Bulgaria, Croatia and Turkey to be way more corrupt than Slovenia, and the Baltics.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 18:35
But here is the thing, Leo claims that the Ottomans were the sole reason for the backwardness and corrption in Bulgaria and that countries like Slovenia and particularly Croatia were "saved" by not being ruled by them which is wrong since both greece and Cyprus are both much less corrupt than Croatia and quite near Slovenia's standing despite they were ruled for over 500 years by the Turks.

Al-Jassas 
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 19:14

But here is the thing, Leo claims that the Ottomans were the sole reason for the backwardness and corrption in Bulgaria and that countries like Slovenia and particularly Croatia were "saved" by not being ruled by them which is wrong since both greece and Cyprus are both much less corrupt than Croatia and quite near Slovenia's standing despite they were ruled for over 500 years by the Turks.

Al-Jassas 

Corruption index is not yhe only index to be considered ...

Anyway let's conmpare the European states/regions that were (for more time) under the Habsburgs and those that were under the Ottomans:

Habsburgs:

Austria
Part of Northern Italy
Part of Southern Germany
Hungary
Czechia
Slovenia
Croatia
Part of Western Ukraina
Part of Southern Polonia

Ottomans:

Greece
Bulgaria
Albania
Serbia
Kossovo
Montenegro
Bosnia
Macedonia
Romania
Moldavia

Which are more developed today? I think there is no match ...

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 19:40
Hello Leo

You oversimplify things and grossly generalize things and your method is like this, the sun rises from east to west and goes in a circular path, then the Sun revolves around the earth.

If all the countries that were ruled under the Ottoman empire are in the same catagory then your argument is absolutely justified, but things aren't as simple as you portray, Greece and Hungary both lived under Ottoman rule directly and had large Turkish population and were much more heavily influenced by Turkish rule, even thought it was brief in Hungary's case, than their neighbours. Yet they are quite successfull and forward.

Serbia and Montenegro (the worst in the list of countries above) on the Other hand had been fully free from Ottoman rule, except nominal suzernity, even before Greece got its independece yet it and the rest of the Balkan countries are at the bottom. So is it Turkey or is it something to do with the church since they all the backward nations are Orthodox, except Croatia and Greece? Or is it a cultural issue?

Al-Jassas
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 21:07

Hello Leo

You oversimplify things and grossly generalize things and your method is like this, the sun rises from east to west and goes in a circular path, then the Sun revolves around the earth.

If all the countries that were ruled under the Ottoman empire are in the same catagory then your argument is absolutely justified, but things aren't as simple as you portray, Greece and Hungary both lived under Ottoman rule directly and had large Turkish population and were much more heavily influenced by Turkish rule, even thought it was brief in Hungary's case, than their neighbours. Yet they are quite successfull and forward.

Serbia and Montenegro (the worst in the list of countries above) on the Other hand had been fully free from Ottoman rule, except nominal suzernity, even before Greece got its independece yet it and the rest of the Balkan countries are at the bottom. So is it Turkey or is it something to do with the church since they all the backward nations are Orthodox, except Croatia and Greece? Or is it a cultural issue?

Al-Jassas

The worst in the list are Albania and Kossovo, guess why?
Yes, the sole with a muslim majority ...

Edited by Leonardo - 03-Aug-2008 at 21:09
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 21:42
turkey has more muslims in percentage of population and actual practice than either of them and yet it is by far better than most including many former Austrian ruled countries. Bulgarian Turks if I am not mistaken have have a higher living standard than the rest of the population as well as less crime. So is this because they are muslims and the rest are orthodox?

Al-Jassas 
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 23:12
The question was not about corruption and other stuff. The question was about Orthodox faith.
Backwardness etc. IMO deserve another thread. Anyway, according to Max Weber, in order to become really "economically prosperous" all Europeans should become Protestants. Smile
Σαυρομάτης
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 06:38
Originally posted by Sarmat12

The question was not about corruption and other stuff. The question was about Orthodox faith.
Backwardness etc. IMO deserve another thread. Anyway, according to Max Weber, in order to become really "economically prosperous" all Europeans should become Protestants. Smile

Max Weber was proved to be a dickhead Smile as you can see from the following map in which are represented the regions of Europe and their GDP per head in 2004. Note as the majority of green regions (and especially dark green) are catholic and not protestant ones.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>