Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddeleted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which do you think is the best soldier of their time?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [14.47%]
1 [1.32%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [7.89%]
4 [5.26%]
31 [40.79%]
1 [1.32%]
1 [1.32%]
21 [27.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: deleted
    Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 01:43
The klibanophoros wouldn't have been stupid enough to go into an ambush they would send scouts for that and the could always shoot back (one the many reasons the were so awesomeSmile) I agree they were really cool!!Smile

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 02:29
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

The klibanophoros wouldn't have been stupid enough to go into an ambush

....ClapClapClap
Clap
EVERYONE is stupid enough to fall for an ambush; the question is whether the enemy is smart enough to make the ambush they'll fall for.

But yes. they were really awesome.

Despite my seeming preference for infantry, the horse-back horror-bringers are always appreciated.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 02:59

They were awesome, I'm not sure that there was ever any cavalry that was better than themSmile

Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 04:11

They were awesome, I'm not sure that there was ever any cavalry that was better than themSmile

A pesant mounted on a mule could defeat a klibanophoros. There is no better-worse in warfare.  War did not become "better" over time. Peoples used weapons that fit their needs and enviornment.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 26-Sep-2008 at 04:12
What is the officer problem?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 04:21
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

A pesant mounted on a mule could defeat a klibanophoros. 

OMG!! thats... thats... I can't describe that without seriously violating the code of conduct how old are you anyway? my God man I'm just left spechless

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 04:59
It is entirely possible. One is not totally better than the other. The pesant has general advantages of being , well, a pesant. Long hours of labor makes a somewhat strong mind and robust body. And then again there are the variables - an infinate number in fact. So yes, it is entirely possible for a pesant on a mule to defeat a klibanophoros.

I am in high school.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 26-Sep-2008 at 05:00
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 05:15
First of all peasants back then had a really bad diet, little or no combat training or experience, with a rusty pitchfork for a weapon, whereas the klibnaophoros was a highly trained disiplined professional (how much stronger of a mind can you get) with a wide variety of weapons, a battle trained armored destrier a bow and pankration, a rigourous regimen (they elite soldiers after all) they were recruited from the nobility so they would have had a better diet and more food, and a better physique than said peasantSmile and high quality armor and high quality weapons, and a sheild and good tactical flexibilty and strategy 

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 05:19

Ok a klibnaophoros approaches the pesant. The pesant throws a rock at him, he falls off his horse. The pesant comes over and takes off his helmet. Stabs him with your so called "rusty pitchfork".

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 05:26
Thats just lame, how would a rock thrown by a human even effect him through his helmet? the klibanophoros would just laugh and shoot him full of holes, and why would he just lay there on the ground?

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 05:28

Hes on the ground because he is dazed, had a panick attack, a seizure, a heart attack, a bad cramp, a tightening of the muscles, the sun was in his eyes, he remembered his past daughters and tried to recount what they said to him days before, he got implaed on a stake. An infinate amount of variables for everything.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 26-Sep-2008 at 05:44
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 23:07

OMG!! thats... thats... I can't describe that without seriously violating the code of conduct how old are you anyway? my God man I'm just left spechless

He said "could" not "would find it easy to."

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 18:36
this discussion is even more redundant than the pikemen thread....Pig
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 00:57
Originally posted by Temujin

this discussion is even more redundant than the pikemen thread....Pig

And does that statement contribute anything of value to the debate?

Of COURSE it's redundant. Ninety percent of everything is either , redundant, pointless, or unneeded. C'est la vie.

Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 04:40
I remember when I read a book called Bushmasters that many American generals regarded Japanese soldiers as being loyal and audacious. There is a story that I heard about (if anyone could elaborate it would be appreciated) that there were Japanese soldiers stationed on a remote island, guarding it and totally oblivious that the war had ended. I beleive the reason the Japs lost because they had poor commanders save Yammamoto and lack of resources.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by TheARRGH

And does that statement contribute anything of value to the debate?

Of COURSE it's redundant. Ninety percent of everything is either , redundant, pointless, or unneeded. C'est la vie.

a thread like this called "best whatever" usually belongs to historical amusement. my post was just a reminder and was indeed not supposed to contribute anything.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2008 at 09:51
Originally posted by Temujin

a thread like this called "best whatever" usually belongs to historical amusement. my post was just a reminder and was indeed not supposed to contribute anything.

I'm with you, but it's all for nothing. People in general seem to have an obsessive-compulsive complex about these topics, for even though they never lead anywhere people still keep repeating them over and over.

I just burst out laughing when I open one of these threads and I'm met with a poll! Do people actually believe that historical consensus is established by voting!? LOL

If we're going to treat a topic like this seriously we must first agree on the conditions of what makes an army superior, but this is never done and you just end up with an utterly pointless debate where the participants argue their case based on entirely different preconditions. Even more laughably the only precondition often seems to be which army/general/whatever you identify with culturally or ethnically, but how on earth this has an impact on the quality of the army/general/whatever is beyond me. My own suggestion is that we simply rename all these threads, to f.ex. "name some soldiers from your country" or "which general are you the most closely related to?". Then it would make sense.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2008 at 16:24
If you don't want topics like this, don't allow about ninety percent of people to join the forum who try to.

That'd be pretty much the only way to get rid of them.

Not particularly enthusiastic about them myself, to be honest, but it seems that in certain forums--military history particularly--it's so rare someone actually manages to come up with a really interesting thread that these spring up.

If all you want to do is cut back on these, you might want to try seeding as many interesting threads as you possibly can around the forum.

Unless something like that happens, people are probably going to stick with what's there.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 07:46
In other words it's kind of like those bad tv shows you watch because there is nothing else on.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2017 at 18:27
Thread Closed
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123