Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Aboriginal American Collection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Aboriginal American Collection
    Posted: 27-Jul-2008 at 07:57
Hey everyone! I thought I would share with you guys, whoever is interested, my Aboriginal American antiquity collection...

Moche culture mortar and pestle (medicinal cocaine grinder)

Agate Basin Trans-Paleo point IL, USA

Fresno point Historic AK, USA
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2008 at 16:37
[QUOTE=HistoryGuy] Hey everyone! I thought I would share with you guys, whoever is interested, my Aboriginal American antiquity collection...

Moche culture mortar and pestle (medicinal cocaine grinder)

Agate Basin Trans-Paleo point IL, USA

I use to archive at the Old Mission State Park in North Idaho. I cataloged both Native American and pioneer artifacts. It was neat to carefully touch and feel these artifacts with my little white gloves.

The Northwest Museum of Art and Culture, in Spokane, has one of or maybe the largest Native American collection in the USA.

Living Legacy: The American Indian Collection
July 19, 2008 – July 18, 2010
This exhibit displays all of the Manning American Indian Collection acquired in 1916, the founding collection of the Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture. It explores the legacy of “Victorian” collecting and the period during which Native Americans saw their cultural objects institutionalized in glass cases.The exhibit also offers an alternative and culturally appropriate viewpoint that honors indigenous Plateau life-ways by contextualizing the Manning collection with objects drawn from the now vast and nationally important American Indian collection.

http://www.northwestmuseum.org/northwestmuseum/sub.aspx?id=2642

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2008 at 16:41
Hey, Moches didn't have cocaine. Cocaine was invented by European chemistries during the 19th century. Coca leaves aren't cocaine.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2008 at 16:23
Originally posted by pinguin

Hey, Moches didn't have cocaine. Cocaine was invented by European chemistries during the 19th century. Coca leaves aren't cocaine.
From what I read my Moche mortar and pestle was used to crush coca leaves and mix it with saliva to extract a natural anaesthetic (cocaine), also a natural drug for medicinal uses. The cocaine that you are talking about is the most purified extractions of cocaine from the leaf that scientists could extract. This more ancient way takes a little longer and is not as potent.LOLApprove

Also, cocaine is just an alkaloid of the coca leaf (Karch 2008, 468).

Edited by HistoryGuy - 28-Jul-2008 at 16:31
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2008 at 16:44
You has to pick a ton of coca leaves to produce some grams of cocaine!
I have drunk coca tea and, as far as I know, it just produce the tong to go to sleep. :)

Edited by pinguin - 28-Jul-2008 at 16:47
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 03:17
Very nice mortar and pestle. Speaking of points, do you have any Clovis culture reproductions?  I am thinking about buying one, but I want it to be accurate and not a fantasy creation. 

Edited by Cryptic - 29-Jul-2008 at 03:24
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 02:50
Originally posted by Cryptic

Very nice mortar and pestle. Speaking of points, do you have any Clovis culture reproductions?  I am thinking about buying one, but I want it to be accurate and not a fantasy creation. 

Hey Cryptic, I do have two authentic Clovis bases... Here are there pictures (not complete, they were broken when knapped '12 000' yrs ago).EmbarrassedLOL

Edited by HistoryGuy - 02-Aug-2008 at 02:50
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 04:13
They look great. You may find this website interesting.  The focus is on Californian tribes.  

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Aug-2008 at 04:19
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 03:58
Thank you for sharing! This site is fantastic, and it's good to see people bringing back traditions!Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply