Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knight vs. Samurai

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knight vs. Samurai
    Posted: 30-Jul-2008 at 23:34
You've never heard of taxes? BTW I can back that claim up with a letter written by Ulrich Von Hutten   

Edited by Count Belisarius - 22-Nov-2008 at 21:55

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 19:04
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Well yeah, you think the medieval noble was some sort of benevoolent and wise ruler? who would share his food with the lowly peasant scum? not likely

And you think the peasants could drink air and eat trees?LOL We all have read kids' books on medieval history.

Anyway, where is it that Goldsworthy mentions the height of Roman soldiers?? What page?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 19:18
No I never said peasants drank air and ate trees and I do not read childrens books about the middle ages please do not insult my intelligence. I do not remember the page number, so sorry.

Edited by Count Belisarius - 22-Nov-2008 at 21:56

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 16:48

Vegetius says in De Re Militari that roman leggionaires were required to be at least six feet tall and marius time the leggionaires were required to be at least five ten, now in our inches that approx. five six, and in vegetius time the legionnaires were five feet nine and half inches tall which isn't tall but thats not exactly short either and goldsworthy says that the ursa legion required their men to be at least six feet (not sure if thats six feet in our inches or roman inches) and his theory was that they may have excepted shorter troops if they had brawn to make up for it and a country boy won't heft farm tools all his life without building some sort of muscle and vegetius backs that claim up saying that if a legionnaire and a good build and he was strong and brave do not be overly concerned about his height.    

Edited by Count Belisarius - 02-Aug-2008 at 16:52

Bernard Woolley View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 08:13
Originally posted by Cezar

Before the "knight" will make a choice of weapons and armor the samurai will be too old to fight.
How about a samurai vs knight, each using the oponent complement(s) of weapons and armor?

That was a fun essay. One passage confused me, though:

"despite their later acquired reputation for swordsmanship, the samurai's primary weapon was, in fact, not the sword. The sword really did not even become a premier weapon of samurai culture and reach its cult status until the mid to late 17th century when the civil warring period ended . . . the majority of single combats between samurai described in feudal Japanese literature took place with daggers not swords. But for sake of discussion, let us assume such for both fighters in this imaginary case."

Why acknowledge that a premise is faulty, only to continue with that premise anyway?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 00:02
He's saying that let's assume the samurai is using a katana for the sake of the argument. 

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 00:21
BY the way has anyone checked out the A.R.M.A website?

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 18:04
Hello is anyone out there? come on let's discusss this. 

Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 23:08
It is the one who kills the other one first.  Not much to discuss.
What is the officer problem?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 23:35
That's to simpilistic what will enable one to kill the other first pray tell? what about terrain tactic's, training, phycology, and physiology? what sort of weapon's will they be using? are they on foot or mounted?  how many peolple will there be? where are they fighting? whaqta sort of weather? the list goes on.  

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 23:57

That's to simpilistic what will enable one to kill the other first pray tell? what about terrain tactic's, training, phycology, and physiology? what sort of weapon's will they be using? are they on foot or mounted?  how many peolple will there be? where are they fighting? whaqta sort of weather? the list goes on.  

Not really sure what you are getting at.  Yes, all of those things are included. Even a small tweak can decide the outcome.   It is like asking if no armour is better than having thick armour, each has its advantages, and each would win over a series of trials.  Therefore this is a pointless topic.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 27-Aug-2008 at 23:58
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 00:03
How is this a pointless topic? the thread is about knight vs. samurai and it is meant to be a serious and amusing intellectual exersize and no one forced you to contribute, so which warrior do you think would win? another fight worth considering is a medieval japenese peasent levy versus a european peasent levy or what about a siege?   

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 00:10

How is this a pointless topic? the thread is about knight vs. samurai and it is meant to be a serious and amusing intellectual exersize and no one forced you to contribute, so which warrior do you think would win? another fight worth considering is a medieval japenese peasent levy versus a european peasent levy or what about a siege?   

It could happen like this.  The knight swings his sword at the samurai and and he drops to the ground. The samurai pulls the knight down and when they were wrestling on the ground the samurai found a gigantic mole on the knight's face.  The samurai thinks, "Man that is the biggest mole I have ever saw!". Then the knight cuts his head off with a dagger while he was thinking about how big his mole was.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 28-Aug-2008 at 00:22
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 00:25
LOL Good one I laughed out loud. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 01:00
they both die to english long bowmen

but on topic i will go with the knights there swords are designed to break/shatter bones and armour samai swords are for cutting things and full plate aroumor is shiny so gets my vote (i do like shiny things)
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 01:11
I am just stating that there are too many variables.  And yes, even the size of an opponent's mole can decide the battle.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 28-Aug-2008 at 03:06
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 02:18

No I never said peasants drank air and ate trees and i do not read childrens books abouit the middle ages please do not insult my intelligence, they probably had a sort of gruel and vegtables because that sort of diet made them soft and weak and easy to control, and I do not remember the page number, so sorry.

That's an extremely cartoonish picture of medieval life.

While it is true that most peasants did not often get to enjoy a diet rich in meat, particularly after the establishment of intensified agriculture from the 10th century onwards, they certainly would usually have a diet better than "gruel" - excepting famines of course.

Your typical medieval peasant in the age after intensified agriculture has a diet that was largely grain based. What type of grain would vary from region to region. Rye was common in Russia and eastern France, barley and wheat more common in England. Whatever the staple crop, bread was the typical outcome and the staple meal of the medieval peasant. Access to beer and wine was also not uncommon, again depending on what the region was best at producing. Staple foods would be supplemented by vegetables and perhaps fruits, which again depended on regional suitability.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 12:15

Originally posted by Władysław Warnencz

In a hand-to-hand combat on foot the samurai would beat,beacuse he is faster,more agile and wealds lighter but sharper sword.In a cavalry charge however the samurai would be defeated utterly by the heavily armoured knights,with big,strong armoured horses and long lances.

If I'm correct then the samurai often used long polearms upon horseback. Plus, I doubt that the horse can get against an arrow... LOL

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 12:18

He's saying that let's assume the samurai is using a katana for the sake of the argument. 

If it's a katana then the timeperiod is rather off and the late 16th/17th century European 'knights' would be easy meat... 

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 15:47

Why do you think that? the katana is a sword not a light saber it can't cut through high quality steel plate.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>