Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knight vs. Samurai

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knight vs. Samurai
    Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 20:22

I know this is like saying who do you think would win in a close up fire fight? a sawed off shotgun or an uzi? But who do you think would win in a fight a Knight or a samurai? taking into account physioligy, phycology, tactics, the era the combatants would be from weapons and armor their respective martial skills prowess and experience and their strengths and weaknesses terrain climate troop types etc.    

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 20:29

This nice thread actually belongs in Historical Amusement.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 20:45
This thread is about Knight vs. Samurai, not about where it belongs go post your own thread.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 21:35
Knight beats Samurai.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 21:37
I agree I've always been a fan of the Knight and the Cataphract

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 22:00
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

This thread is about Knight vs. Samurai, not about where it belongs go post your own thread.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think it still looks better at Historical amusement.

BTW, I'll go with Samurai.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 22:34
Yeah right, a six feet and five inches tall knight vs. a five feet three inches tall samurai, and of course what period samurai are you talking about? and what period knight?  

Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 23:05
I think that you may be mistaken about the average size of a European knight of the era. Six foot five (two meters) is tall for this day and age, in which good diets promote greater height. During the middle ages their diet was not as balanced and nutrient rich as our own, as such, the people tended on average to be shorter. Evidence of this can be seen when looking at high middle age suits of armor. Many of them only measure around five foot sixish inches feet tall. I rather liked this because as a relatively short person (5'7-8") I could have worn almost all of the suits of armor at the Higgin's Armory Museum comfortably. The concept of the gigantic Knight is a creation of Hollywood for the movies. Did they exist, absolutely, but they were by no means the norm.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 23:07

Yeah right, a six feet and five inches tall knight vs. a five feet three inches tall samurai, and of course what period samurai are you talking about? and what period knight?  

You know, people in medieval Europe were quote short for modern times. So what we are looking for would be 5'5" (1,65 m) tall average knight.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 23:20
Thats a common mistake, a knight would usually have enough money to eat meat, kings deer and all that, and you see tapestrys of knights hunting all the time, also the armor in mueseums is usually decorational and made in three quarter scale to show off the "artwork" (for lack of a better phrase) and the craftsmanship, actual combat armor was made for men who were just under six feet or six five     

Edited by Count Belisarius - 25-Jul-2008 at 23:23

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 23:24
Well you obviously know nothing about medieval armory. Also the examination of medieval graves speak against your "tall" knights.
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 23:32
I'm with Robert's wholeheartedly.

I'd like to see your sources for said claims Belisarius.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 23:49
YOU obviously know nothing about medieval armor and how do you know that those skeletons are knights? my sources are A.R.M.A those guys handle real armor and weapons, The medieval armorer and his craft: From the XIth century to the XVth century, Sothebys weapons catalogues, And last but certainly not least the Roman army they would only except soldiers who were six feet tall, in our inches that means five feet nine and a half inches tall which is hardly short De Re Militari by Vegetius, and the ursa legion would only except people who were six feet tall or over the complete roman army by adrian goldsworthy. and I'd like to see your sources, and the main point of this site is about Knight vs. Samurai not medieval armor if you don't like you can start your own thread about medieval armor for other misinformed fools like you                  

Edited by Count Belisarius - 03-Aug-2008 at 00:27

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2008 at 00:10
Ok, ok show us your ARMA sources where they claim that knights were 6 feet tall?

how do you know that those skeletons are knights? 

Have you ever thought that there might be different graveyards for nobility?

And last but certainly not least the Roman army they would only except soldiers who were six feet tall, in our inches that means five feet nine and a half inches tall which is hardly short and the ursa legion would only except people who were six feet tall or over the complete roman army by adrian goldsworthy.

Thats obviously a mistake

other misinformed fools like you 

Resorting to insults only shows true side of you.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2008 at 00:20
You havn't produced any proof or refuted what I said all you've done is attack my argument are you saying that college professor is wrong, your word against a college professer and Vegetius, can't go make your own thread? please?  

Edited by Count Belisarius - 03-Aug-2008 at 00:28

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2008 at 03:17

Thats a common mistake, a knight would usually have enough money to eat meat, kings deer and all that, and you see tapestrys of knights hunting all the time, also the armor in mueseums is usually decorational and made in three quarter scale to show off the "artwork" (for lack of a better phrase) and the craftsmanship, actual combat armor was made for men who were just under six feet or six five     

Nope. People were actually shorter in the past due to bad diets. I have seen uniforms of people who have fought in wars in the last 300 years in the U.S., and they are these little uniforms that don't look real to us. Even soldiers in WWII were a lot smaller than people in the U.S. today.

That said, I go with knights because in another version of this discussion, someone made the arguments that the weapons of the knights were better than those of the Samurai, and that they had a greater range of fighting technique, which made up for the speed of the Japanese warrior.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2008 at 04:11
I'll go with the Knights.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Greek Hoplite View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Greek Hoplite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2008 at 07:34
I would say Knight, and a Byzantine Cataphract is even better. Knights fought against many different opponents, especially cataphracts fought against almost all the enemies of their time, something like this gives them the upper hand. On the other hand samurai were always fought  between them, they fought for centuries against enemies (other samurai) that had the same way of battle with them. I think that samurai are overrated. 
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2008 at 13:41
The terms are too generic to get into specifics.  'Knights' were around for centuries and equipment varied considerably.  Also, what is the mode of combat?  On foot?  Samurai also trained with the bow, whereas your 'typical' knight did not.  In terms of melee combat, the Samurai would probably have a better quality sword, and be faster.  The knight would have better armour.  One on one, these situations often end up being a 'rock, paper, scissors' sort of situation, depending heavily on the specifics. 

Edited by deadkenny - 26-Jul-2008 at 13:42
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
C.C.Benjamin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2008 at 13:48
Originally posted by deadkenny

The terms are too generic to get into specifics.  'Knights' were around for centuries and equipment varied considerably.  Also, what is the mode of combat?  On foot?  Samurai also trained with the bow, whereas your 'typical' knight did not.  In terms of melee combat, the Samurai would probably have a better quality sword, and be faster.  The knight would have better armour.  One on one, these situations often end up being a 'rock, paper, scissors' sort of situation, depending heavily on the specifics. 

Although I can't remember the source offhand, I recall reading that this is a common misconception; western swords were not inferior to oriental swords. 

Plate armour was also pretty much invulnerable to swords, too, so a late middle-ages knight would be a nightmare for a samurai.
Know thyself
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>