Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Army

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Army
    Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 19:36
The Arrrgh;
It really depends on the period, the terrain, the type of army. Too many variables to answer properly.

canon394;
True logistics back then were simpler, but even then generally most armys were equipped in reletivly standard ways. The manner of supply of archers and slingshot men are different, the procedures for fabricating are completely different, for spears you need wood and tips of a different type than arrows. Unless the equipment is standadised its very unlikely they can sustain a campiagn for long. THough I'll accept that in many cases it was only for a few battles that an army was raised.

Also, you should add engineers, sappers and scouts to the ORBAT.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 19:53
My army would consist of:

3 Spinosaurs
1 underwater sub known as a Megalodon
1000 Samaurai
5000 klibanophoroi 
3,986 computer geeks with enough twinkies to keep pressing the appropriate buttons for hours while taking orders from 9 toughness five dragon princes.

This army would be led by one of history's most notorious Count.
C.C.Benjamin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 20:16
Yawn...it wasn't funny when the first person did it.
Know thyself
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 21:28
Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

It's always funny when the administrator does it.

I'm liking the use of megalodon, seko. Did you see the article about their bite strength?http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7540835.stm

Edited by TheARRGH - 05-Aug-2008 at 22:22
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 22:16
Cool list Seko, What about some Roman legionnaire's?

Edited by Count Belisarius - 05-Aug-2008 at 22:17

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 22:18
Those darn admins are some of the biggest trolls too. Smile

When my sub has a biting force of 10-18 tonnes...well that pretty much takes the cake as the coolest navy around.

Ok, I'm sure some of you want me outta here with my twisted and senseless humour. I'll leave this innocent thread in peace. Just one parting phrase:  Long live the megalodon!
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 22:21
Originally posted by Seko

This army would be led by one of history's most notorious Count.

...CHOCULA?!!LOL

@Sparten: I'm assuming Pacific/Northwest sort of climate and terrain. But that's mostly moot; My real question is more in the area of "where can I go/what should I read to get a better idea of the various fiddly details of logistics?"

Edited by TheARRGH - 05-Aug-2008 at 22:22
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

C.C.Benjamin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 23:50
Originally posted by TheARRGH

It's always funny when the administrator does it.

No, that makes it less funny.  As a position of power, "message board administrator" ranks pretty low, I'm surprised you'd need to arse-kiss.

Know thyself
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 23:52

I'm surprised you'd need to arse-kiss.

I'm surprised you didn't realize I was joking.

Edited by TheARRGH - 05-Aug-2008 at 23:53

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 00:37

Hey the thread is about your army not jokes. I don't think Darius appreciates this.

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 00:40
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Hey the thread is about your army not jokes. I don't think Darius appreciates this.

Very true.
What is the officer problem?
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 01:19
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

Very true.

My apologies, Darius.

...Personally, I'm still trying to figure something out about logistics, because while I'd like to flesh out the whole "army" theme,  I'm not really able to do so without knowing more about..well..how armies were/are supplied.

However...

I'm intrigued as to what made you pick maces as a highly featured weapon in your army. They're definitely easy to make and can be hard-hitting, but they don't seem like the most effective military weapon if you're in a close-ranked formation.

...Then again, that's what they always say about axes...

Edited by TheARRGH - 06-Aug-2008 at 01:21

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 01:37
Well...It comes down to my tactics. Most of my army is lightly armoured, perfect for surrounding and overwhelming heavier close-ranked formations. Maces and axes can be used to cut paths into enemy formations, allowing lighter troops to follow, such as my curved-sword infantry. Maces as you said, are hard-hitting, capable of breaking skulls in one blow.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 06-Aug-2008 at 01:40
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 02:00
I'm glad you guys worked out some of your sensitivities. I wouldn't want to get in the way of a fine truce. I do have something pertinent to say though. We appreciate the opening of new topics and tend to support them in general. However, there is no rule that says the one who opens a thread owns it. The threads are for all members to participate in and it is our duty as staff members to monitor them. Threads tend to veer off the original topic and when they do we trust you, the membership, will bring things back on track, which you successfully have done here. If and when the staff do go off on tangents, sometimes being funny and sometimes not, then bear with us. We like to act silly too at times, even 'message board administrators'.  Oh, and by the way, a little brown nosing never did hurt!

Continue with the discussion.
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 02:03

Very true.

My apologies, Darius.

...Personally, I'm still trying to figure something out about logistics, because while I'd like to flesh out the whole "army" theme,  I'm not really able to do so without knowing more about..well..how armies were/are supplied.

However...

I'm intrigued as to what made you pick maces as a highly featured weapon in your army. They're definitely easy to make and can be hard-hitting, but they don't seem like the most effective military weapon if you're in a close-ranked formation.

...Then again, that's what they always say about axes...

These are just things you "may" include. You do not have to go into logistics if you do not want to, totally your choice.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 04:26

Well...It comes down to my tactics. Most of my army is lightly armoured, perfect for surrounding and overwhelming heavier close-ranked formations. Maces and axes can be used to cut paths into enemy formations, allowing lighter troops to follow, such as my curved-sword infantry. Maces as you said, are hard-hitting, capable of breaking skulls in one blow.

True, but from what I understand, maces require more of a wind-up than an axe or something similar--for the simple reason that a mace has to rely on blunt force, while an edged weapon focuses whatever force there is to a point. That's why axes were so widely used (besides the ease with which an axe could be made): they are weapons which hit with significant force, but can be light and quick and, often, don't require a large swing in order to be effective--because your force is amplified/focused by the edge.

Then again, maces are a LOT cheaper, and they were used quite a bit--so maybe I'm just being nitpicky. Plus, I have to admit a slight bias: I like axes. As you can see from my army.LOL

Still, I do feel that maces are a little limiting...they're like warclubs, you need a looser formation and room to swing, and that can be problematic.

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 04:42
True. But I am quite fond of loose formations. The trauma dealt by a mace would be devastating. Although it does not have the cutting power, it does have the kinetic energy needed to cause great damage. Mace cavalry use longer maces to cleave down enemy infantry. The Egyptians and Persians were both great users of the mace and used it to win many of their battles.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 06-Aug-2008 at 04:51
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 04:57

True. But I am quite fond of loose formations. The trauma dealt by a mace would be devastating. Although it does not have the cutting power, it does have the kinetic energy needed to cause great damage. Mace cavalry use longer maces to cleave down enemy infantry. The Egyptians and Persians were both great users of the mace and used it to win many of their battles.

Well, far be it from me to cast aspersions on a formula that worked.

then again, the Persians had a lot of cavalry--the mace tends to work better for cav than for the humble men-at-arms on their own two feet.

And...no offense to the Egyptians, but they were not that terribly impressive a military power. they won quite a lot, but not against the Persians, Macedonians, and many conquerors after. I wouldn't blame that on a use of Maces--tactics, training, and logistics matter much more than just weaponry. But they may not be the best role models as far as a choice of equipment.

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 05:11

Well, far be it from me to cast aspersions on a formula that worked.

then again, the Persians had a lot of cavalry--the mace tends to work better for cav than for the humble men-at-arms on their own two feet.

And...no offense to the Egyptians, but they were not that terribly impressive a military power. they won quite a lot, but not against the Persians, Macedonians, and many conquerors after. I wouldn't blame that on a use of Maces--tactics, training, and logistics matter much more than just weaponry. But they may not be the best role models as far as a choice of equipment.

They did have great victories against other peoples, such as the Libyans, Nubians, Canaanites, Hittites, Mitanni, Assyrians, Babylonians and a list of other peoples and nations. To call the Egyptians a  non-impressive military force is blaspheme in my opinion. At the time of Cambyses, the Persians recognized Egypt one of the last remaining "big threats" of the ancient world.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 06-Aug-2008 at 05:20
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 05:19

They did have great victories against other peoples, such as the Libyans, Nubians, Canaanites, Hittites, Mitanni, Assyrians, Babylonians and a list of other peoples and nations. To call the Egyptians a  non-impressive military force is blaspheme in my opinion. At the time of Cambyses, the Persians recognized Egypt one of the last remaining "big threat" in the ancient world.

I guess you're right...I suppose I'm just taking the wrong perspective here. I'm probably thinking a little bit too much about "military might" as defined by the Romans and so forth...

I need to learn more about the military capacities of Middle Eastern states...about the only ones I know anything about in that area were the Persians (and Sassanids and Parthians), and the Hittites. I had no idea they were so highly regarded by the Persians.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>