Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Second Bulgarian State

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262728
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Bulgarian State
    Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 06:43

Originally posted by Yugoslav

Bulgaria was already a formed up and indepentent country.

I know that, it was just a joke. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 08:21

After traveling twelve days from the Etilia, we found a great river which they call Jagac [=Iagac, the modern Ural R.], and it comes from the country of Pascatir in the north, and falls into this previously-mentioned sea (i.e., the Caspian). The language of Pascatir is the same as that of the Hungarians, and they are shepherds without any towns whatever, and on the west this country confines on Greater Bulgaria. From this country eastward, and on that side to the north, there are no more towns; so Greater Bulgaria is the last country with towns. 'Twas from this country of Pascatir that went forth the Huns, who were afterward the Hungarians; hence it is the same as Greater Bulgaria. Isidorus says that with their fleet horses they crossed the barriers which Alexander had built among the rocks of the Caucasus to confine the savage tribes, and that as far as Egypt all the country paid them tribute. They ravaged all the world as far as France, so that they were a greater power than are now the Tartars. With them also came the Blacs, the Bulgars and the Vandals. For from that Greater Bulgaria come the Bulgars, who are beyond the Danube near Constantinople. And beside Pascatir are the Illac, which is the same word as Blac, but the Tartars do not know how to pronounce (the letter) B, and from them come those who are in the land of Assan. They call both of them Illac, the former and the latter. The language of the Ruthenians, Poles, Bohemians and Sclavons is the same as that of the Vandals, and the hand of all of them was with the Huns, as now is that of the greater part of them with the Tartars, whom God has raised up out of the remote parts of the earth, a mighty people but a stupid race, according to what the Lord saith: "I will move them to jealousy (that is, those who do not keep his law) with those which are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation." This is fulfilled to the letter as to all the nations who do not keep the law of the Christ. That which I have told of and of Pascatir I know from the preaching friars who went there before the advent of the Tartars, but since then it has been subjugated by the neighboring Saracen Bulgars, and some of the people have become Saracens. The rest may be learned from the chronicles, for it is a well established fact that those provinces from Constantinople (westward) and which were called Bulgaria, Blackia end Sclavonia were provinces of the Greeks, and that Hungary was Pannonia.

To ease the things, I quoted above the fragment to which you did refer. I'm waiting for your opinions .

Edited by Sahrian - 10-Oct-2008 at 08:24
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 10:58

My opinion is that a theory about the wlachian origin based on that document, is more plausible than the daco-latin one. A common land of origin of the bulgars and wlachs would explain the centuries of peacefull coexisting and partnership.

Here is another document, Roger Bacon's(1214-1292) "Opus Majos". In it, the english medieval scholar also locates the blaci/wlach original homeland near Great Bulgaria. http://www.vostlit.info/Texts/rus15/Bacon_Roger/frametext1.htm
It's in russian.
And this is the part that concern the non-daco/latin theory:
Далее, за Этилией, находится третье тартарское княжество; и ими уничтожены местные народы, а жили там куманы-канглы, как выше [говорилось]. И простирается это княжество от реки на восток, так что путь из южной части до главных владений императора занимает четыре месяца. Но с северной части простирается оно на расстояние двух месяцев и десяти дней [пути]. Из чего следует, что Кумания была величайшей из земель 109. Ведь куманы обитали от Дуная до той самой земли, в которой пребывает император, и все они были перебиты тартарами, кроме тех, которые бежали в Венгерское королевство. И это княжество граничит на севере прежде всего с Великой Булгарией, откуда происходят булгары 110, живущие между Константинополем 111, Венгрией и Склавонией 112. Ведь та, что расположена в Европе, - Малая Булгария, [и там] говорят на языке булгар, живущих в Великой Булгарии, которая находится в Азии. А эти булгары из Великой Булгарии — злейшие сарацины 113. И это удивительно, ибо земля эта отстоит от Железных ворот, или от Каспийских ворот, более чем на 30 дней пути через пустыню; и она лежит в северных пределах - вот почему в высшей степени странно, что до них, столь удаленных от сарацин, дошло учение Магомета. И из этой Булгарии берет начало Этилия, о которой [уже] говорилось. За ней, на восток, находится земля Паскатир 114, она же - Великая Венгрия, из которой вышли гуны, позднее [называемые] хунгры, ныне они называются хунгарами; они, взяв с собой булгар и другие народы, взломали, как говорит Исидор, ворота Александра 115. И уплачивалась им [216] дань [странами] вплоть до Египта, и разорили они все земли до самой Франции; следовательно, обладали они большим могуществом, чем до сих пор тартары; и большая часть их осела в земле, ныне называемой Венгрией, [расположенной] за Богемией и Австрией, которая сейчас латинянами [называется] Венгерским королевством. И близ земли Паскатир находятся балхи из Великой Балхии, откуда пришли балхи в землю Ассана между Константинополем и Болгарией и Малой Венгрией. Ведь народ этот тартары называют ныне илак, что значит то же, что и блак. Но тартары не умеют произносить звук "б" 116. А с южной части этой тартарской пустыни находится Каспийское море. А далее, до самого востока, Кавказские горы. [Далее следует описание границ татарских владений до Каракитая.]

Edited by czarnian - 10-Oct-2008 at 11:17
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 11:29

Originally posted by czarnian

My opinion is that a theory about the wlachian origin based on that document, is more plausible than the daco-latin one. A common land of origin of the bulgars and wlachs would explain the centuries of peacefull coexisting and partnership.

Not all the 'Vlachs' lived there, those who did were or assimilated or emigrated to North. All the ancestors of the Bulgarians lived there, but not all the ancestors of Romanians. It is an error to pretend that our  (Romanian) roots are on the today territory of Bulgaria, Serbia and the so called Macedonia. And I am sorry to say but more things separate us than unite us (and I refer here to Romanian-Bulgarian relations). But I believe in a Serbo-Bulgarian unity, you have so many things in common, is just stupid local nationalism that you don't recognise this. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 11:55
Please post it in Romanian, English or French translation.  I do not know other language...Unhappy

Edited by Sahrian - 10-Oct-2008 at 11:58
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 12:45
Originally posted by Sahrian

My opinion is that a theory about the wlachian origin based on that document, is more plausible than the daco-latin one. A common land of origin of the bulgars and wlachs would explain the centuries of peacefull coexisting and partnership.

Not all the 'Vlachs' lived there, those who did were or assimilated or emigrated to North. All the ancestors of the Bulgarians lived there, but not all the ancestors of Romanians. It is an error to pretend that our  (Romanian) roots are on the today territory of Bulgaria, Serbia and the so called Macedonia. And I am sorry to say but more things separate us than unite us (and I refer here to Romanian-Bulgarian relations). But I believe in a Serbo-Bulgarian unity, you have so many things in common, is just stupid local nationalism that you don't recognise this. 

You missunderstood me, I don't think that the romanian roots are to be found in modernday Serbia, Bulgaria or FYROM. According to that document their to be found near medieval Gread Bulgaria, not Dunabian Bulgaria.
And you are absolutely right about the local nationalism :) and it really is a Balkan's disease.
As for the russian text, it's almost the same as Rubruc's one. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 13:18

You missunderstood me, I don't think that the romanian roots are to be found in modernday Serbia, Bulgaria or FYROM. According to that document their to be found near medieval Gread Bulgaria, not Dunabian Bulgaria.
And you are absolutely right about the local nationalism :) and it really is a Balkan's disease.
As for the russian text, it's almost the same as Rubruc's one.
Where it is stated such thing, and which were the limits of the land of "Pascatyr" (i.e. Pechenegs)? The 'Great Bulgaria' was near to Volga, from where the Bulgars (not 'Bulgarians') have really come!

Edited by Sahrian - 10-Oct-2008 at 13:25
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 14:14
M., since you're interested in Vlachs (a bit offtopic, but I'll just mention it), here's one interesting information.

In 1866 a first free population census was conducted in the Princedom of Serbia. In it, a bit more than 127,700 people opted for the Vlach ethnicity, i.e. 10.5% of the total population. Here's what were the borders of Serbia back then:

http://www.zum.de/whkmla/histatlas/balkans/sb1833.gif
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 14:48

M., since you're interested in Vlachs (a bit offtopic, but I'll just mention it), here's one interesting information.

Please read this under-average wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlachs_of_Serbia. Perhaps there are still some of them who even now think that they are Romanians and not a strange tribe of Serbs, in spite all the lies that were told to them.  

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 15:02
Y., I don't understand what's the relevance of your quota from Saguna. Is sure that ethonyms have been used for naming people who actualy were not what that name designed, but in the ddocuments from 12-13th century I hardly believe by Blach are designed other people than the Latin-speaking one.

As for the map with the census, again I don't understand why you bring it. Surely is not about Slavic-speaking Vlachs but about Banat and Timoc Romanians.

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 15:21
Originally posted by Menumorut

Y., I don't understand what's the relevance of your quota from Saguna. Is sure that ethonyms have been used for naming people who actualy were not what that name designed, but in the ddocuments from 12-13th century I hardly believe by Blach are designed other people than the Latin-speaking one.

No, it's not 12th-13th century. It's 17th-20th century. The Croatian nobility and reigning intelligence officially denied any existence of Serbs on the soil of historical Croatia (Croatian lands under the Habsburgs, and those occupied by the Ottomans), until after ages of complaints the Croatian Parliament in 1867 by majority votes recognized that the "Vlach people or Serbian" is the equal and constitutive to the Croat people. Until then, the opinion was that they were anational 'vlachs', with many aims to convert them them, while the extremists considered other means...

As for the map with the census, again I don't understand why you bring it. Surely is not about Slavic-speaking Vlachs but about Banat and Timoc Romanians.

I just thought you'd be interested to record that info... Dead
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 15:54

No, it's not 12th-13th century. It's 17th-20th century. The Croatian nobility and reigning intelligence officially denied any existence of Serbs on the soil of historical Croatia (Croatian lands under the Habsburgs, and those occupied by the Ottomans), until after ages of complaints the Croatian Parliament in 1867 by majority votes recognized that the "Vlach people or Serbian" is the equal and constitutive to the Croat people. Until then, the opinion was that they were anational 'vlachs', with many aims to convert them them, while the extremists considered other means...

I refered to the Choniates and other medieval documents from 12-13th century.

As for the Vlachs in Croatia, as I said on other topics, they are of Vlach descendance. I don't know if the Croatian were naming all the Serbs Vlachs, but the fact they were doing this with the Serbs in Croatia I'm prety sure is due to this fact.

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 17:14

I refered to the Choniates and other medieval documents from 12-13th century.

As for the Vlachs in Croatia, as I said on other topics, they are of Vlach descendance. I don't know if the Croatian were naming all the Serbs Vlachs, but the fact they were doing this with the Serbs in Croatia I'm prety sure is due to this fact.

I know. I drawed to what I was referring.

Here is a census of the 'vlach immigrants' to the coastal city of Klis from 1660:

1. Marko Gladojevic

2. Petar Grgurevic

3. Petar Curcevic

4. Simon Dadic

5. Jovan Dadic

6. Milorad Mihic

7. Milic Matasovic

8. Matija Dadic

9. Milos Perkovic

10. Djurasin Dadic

11. Djordje Kolic

12. Matija Korde

13. Filip

14. Nikola Opacic

15. Luka Beric

Inspection of the "vlachs'" actual names shows a different image. Naturally, there was a contigent of ethnic Vlachs (i.e. belonging to the same people as the ome in Wallachia), but they only appeared in one-two-several names in several of the censuses that were made.

Of course, another theory is that they were in every way already slavicized - i.e. they are of Vlach ethnic origin, nomadic, in the Serbian Medieval realm, but they speak the Serbo-Slavic language as their native speech and they did not understand the Vlachs' speech, they bring forth the Serbian Orthodox Church to which they're faithful, they do not bear Vlach names, but Slavic, and their surnames have already been slavicized before migrating, as well as they bring Serbian culture and traditions along with them, including primarily music & folklore, epic tales about Stephen Nemanya, Czar Dousan, Marko Kraljevic, Milos Obilic, Vukasin & Uros, etc...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 14:06

Yugoslav, this is not an argument. Many Romanians from Serbia have even today Serb names, at least almost all the representans of the Romanian community from Serbia whom I've seen watching our TV channels have Serb names.

I can't understand why in your Balkan states (Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania) you can't face the truth and accept once for all that 'Vlachs' are the same people as Romanians and that only history separated them from us. Why don't you stop to tell them that they are just a people 'related' to Romanians or even that theay are in fact a strange tribe of Serbs, Bulgarians etc.? Here in Romania we have never tried to tell such bulls**t  to your co-ethnics. Just inquire and you'll see that I speak the truth.

P.S.: For your info, some part of my ancestors were Aromanians who came in Romania from Epirus at the beginning of the 20th century.

Edited by Sahrian - 14-Oct-2008 at 15:29
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 15:59

Yugoslav, this is not an argument. Many Romanians from Serbia have even today Serb names, at least almost all the representans of the Romanian community from Serbia whom I've seen watching our TV channels have Serb names.

I can't understand why in your Balkan states (Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania) you can't face the truth and accept once for all that 'Vlachs' are the same people as Romanians and that only history separated them from us. Why don't you stop to tell them that they are just a people 'related' to Romanians or even that theay are in fact a strange tribe of Serbs, Bulgarians etc.? Here in Romania we have never tried to tell such bulls**t  to your co-ethnics. Just inquire and you'll see that I speak the truth.

P.S.: For your info, some part of my ancestors were Aromanians who came in Romania from Epirus at the beginning of the 20th century.

Tell me, when a man has no knowledge of Romanian, but speaks Bulgarian, when he cherishes Bulgarian national heroes that fought against the Turks and holds no memory of any Vlach hero, when he does not bring Vlach traditions, and clothing, but Bulgarian, and when he / she is subject to the Bulgarian Orthodox Church...what makes them Vlach really? I already noted to you before that, of course, there's a possibility that these Serb refugees have some Vlach ethnic origins, according to one of the two theories, from the lands they came from, some centuries behind, so?

That's because of assimilation, and exactly what I noted. However, I should incline that there hasn't quite been assimilation of the Vlach population until almost the 19th century, as massive pockets managed to greatly survive, and after that a quick process of assimilation had occurred.

I do not deny that they are of the same descent as the people of the nation of Romania, all of them Vlachs, including the completely assimilated and disappeared by now MauroVlachs, but a compltely another thing and fact is that in the Medieval Serbian realm, "vlach" (in many occasions with a small "v") was the naming of nomads, and everyone who knows at least a little knows that in western Yugoslavia, Vlach is Orthodox (despite there were Catholic Vlachs).

But such a blatant thing as "all Serbs in Croatia and Bosnia are originally Vlachs" is blatant ignorance, and actually standard fascist ideology (Ustasha & similar), who consider in general Vlachs (not even connecting them in any way, to Romania, in the unimagineable quantity of their ignorance), filthy, anational, primitive people, who'd best be wiped off the face of the earth for its own good.

Edited by Yugoslav - 14-Oct-2008 at 16:09
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 17:47

Tell me, when a man has no knowledge of Romanian, but speaks Bulgarian, when he cherishes Bulgarian national heroes that fought against the Turks and holds no memory of any Vlach hero, when he does not bring Vlach traditions, and clothing, but Bulgarian, and when he / she is subject to the Bulgarian Orthodox Church...what makes them Vlach really? I already noted to you before that, of course, there's a possibility that these Serb refugees have some Vlach ethnic origins, according to one of the two theories, from the lands they came from, some centuries behind, so?

I've never sustained that "all Serbs in Croatia and Bosnia are originally Vlachs", perhaps you've made a confusion, and I also didn't consider that all people called 'Vlachs' were indeed 'Vlachs', even if some ancestors of them could have been. I did refer to those 'Vlachs' who still speak 'Vlach' (i.e. Romanian) language and who have no choice but to learn at school what Bulgarians, Serbs etc. have to tell them about their 'Vlach' history, and who have no knowledge about Romania excepting that She is a foreign country. Actually I posted in this thread only to argue for the fact that those 'Vlachs' from Choniates were the same 'tribe' with our (Romanian) ancestors, but still no serious answer until now :(.

Edited by Sahrian - 14-Oct-2008 at 17:59
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2008 at 22:24

I've never sustained that "all Serbs in Croatia and Bosnia are originally Vlachs", perhaps you've made a confusion, and I also didn't consider that all people called 'Vlachs' were indeed 'Vlachs', even if some ancestors of them could have been. I did refer to those 'Vlachs' who still speak 'Vlach' (i.e. Romanian) language and who have no choice but to learn at school what Bulgarians, Serbs etc. have to tell them about their 'Vlach' history, and who have no knowledge about Romania excepting that She is a foreign country. Actually I posted in this thread only to argue for the fact that those 'Vlachs' from Choniates were the same 'tribe' with our (Romanian) ancestors, but still no serious answer until now :(.

I have expressed some page back some non-Romanian/Bulgarian opinions on the matter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262728