Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Second Bulgarian State

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
Author
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Bulgarian State
    Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 05:27
Originally posted by Ioannitsa Wallahitsa

Carpathian friend you lack the ability to analyze historical sources and I can continue talking and writing for ever but this is not going to change that. Do you have any scientific background and university level education?

How many times do you want me to repeat something that is so simple and obvious from the texts. Who cares what were initially the Moesians Vlachians Bulgarians, what languages they spoke, where they came from and so on? The terms Moesians and Vlachians in Choniates , are used interchangeably ( they substitute each other) and these names have ONLY geographical not real ethnic meaning!!!!!! They only mean the people around the mountain Haimos, regardless of their language and ethic origin. These Moesians/Vlachs around Haimos included people from all Balkan nations - Bulgarians, Greeks, Latin speaking Vlachs, Cumans, Pechenegs and who knows what else, and it doesn't matter which group was the most numerous. What matters is that when Choniates says Joannitsa and his soldiers were Moesians/Vlachs he doesn't mean the ethnic Vlachs or some fictinal long gone and non-existant Moesian nation. All he means is the Joannitsa and his soldiers are from the region of Moesia/Vlachia/Haimos. They could have been of any of the ethnic groups listed above (Bulgarians, Greeks, Latin speaking Vlachs, Cumans, Pechenegs) and we can't tell anything about their ethnic origin based on the use of these geographical names.
What is all this obsession with ethnic components and different origin. Are you insane? The Bulgarians and Romanians have absolutely the same ethnic components. All the ethnic groups that settled and lived in the territory of Bulgaria also lived in Romania to the north of the Danube. That included the Dacians/Moesians, slavic speakers, the latin speakers ( Romanized ......whatever) , Germanics, the Bulgars, The Cumans, Pechenegs, Hungarians and so on. Or you seriosly think that the guys in Bukurest have more Latin blood than the sitizens of a huge Roman city like Sofia, or that the guys in Sofia are more Slavic than those in Bukurest. Hahahaha Well look at the map and tell me where the Romans and the Slavs came from and stop with this ethnogenetic non-sense, because Romainians or Hungarians  have more Slavic blood than Bulgarians and Serbs put together contrary to the languages they speak. The racial/ethnic make up doesn't matter for modern and medieval national identities. These identities were and are still based on language and consciousness, rather than actual origin. And given that , who cares what was the precise ethnic origin of Assenids. It was mixed as the origin of any other people in the Balkans. There is no doubt that in their veins they had Roman Greek Bulgar Slavic Moesian/Thracian Cuman and so on blood, as I have, as you have and as anyone else who ever lived in this part of the world has. What really matters is that these guys had Bulgarian consiosness, fought for the restoration of the Bulgarian state and Church, and punished the Roman Empire for everything they did to the Bulgarian population in the previous 2 centuries, and were proudly called Romeokton. And it is really shocking to me that you, the proud Romanian, you come here claiming your Latin heritage but you don't see your heritage and ancestors in the "Roman lands" and the poor Romans who were plundered and devastated by the revolt ...you see your ancestors among the barbarians who inflicted all this disaster on the empire, and this is not some obscure Byzantine/ Easter Roman Empire. These are fake names or "exonims" invented by mothern scholars. For all contemporaries, the empire Assen and Peter were faighting against was called Romania and its inhabitants called themselves Romans/Romaion/Romanians (both the Greek and the Latin speakers) whereas "your guys" Assen and Peter called themselves Romeoktons Hahahaha.  But who can convince the Carpathian wolf that his ancestors were most certainly among the Roman victims rather than the killers calling themselves Romeoktons (killers of Romans). ....War of "Vlachs" against "Romans". Where are your ancestors wolf? :) And who were the real Latin speakers/ethnic Romanians in the conflict? Assen and Peter with their Bulgarian language, "nationalism" and megalomania? Or the their victims who always called themselves Romans, and defended their Romania. Do you seriosuly think that all Latin speakers were shepherds and all these shepherds happened to live in Haimos, rather than in the Roman cities in Moesia Thrace and Macedonia that got plundered.? And do you seriously want to convince me that these shepherds of Haimos were your conationals who had one dream in life...to restore the dead Bulgar Empire.  Wake up brother. These shepherds and their leaders are not "yours" and this is not nationalism ..this is the historical reality.  

Now i've heard it all. Romanians are more Slavic then Bulgarians and Serbs combined. Brilliant. You obviously forgot how migrations are carried out in waves and smaller groups.

It is obvious you're going to continue this fairy tale and misunderstand my position again and again. Strawmen are easy to knock over. Please re look my posts and stop accusing me of saying some of the silly things you said. You don't have to repeat to me that nationalism of hundreds of years ago equate to what we have today. Romanians maintained both their Dacian (and more so their Latin) roots which is obvious in language and culture. If the Welsh can maintain themselves behind their little hills, the Carpathians are more then enough. I'm not saying Romanians are "pure latins and dacians" of course there are slavic elements but you can not simply say that everyone who passed by the lands was automatically mixed because of the size of the local population vs migrants.

I believe the Asens were Vlachs (Romanians) who initiated the revolt but that Bulgarians played a major role. And yes they fought against other Romans. Is it totally unheard of that two people of the same ethnic composition fought each other?
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 05:30
Originally posted by Yugoslav

Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

Don't you two mean the MOESIANS?

It's nothing strange. The Byzantine writers called various Balkan peoples with their archaic names, for example, the Hungarians are often Peons (originally Turks, although that is not of archaic relevance), while the Serbs are "Dalmats" and occasionally "Tribals". There were similar names for Persians too...for an example, the Serbs are even called "Dacians", whereas that shouldn't be mistaken with the proto-Romanians.

Serbs were called Dacians because "All Serbs are Vlachs." ~ Vuk Stefanovic Karadzic

Again for the most part european genetics have not changed much since the paleoithic. So under that layer of slav and "Iranic Sorb/Serb" (theory) genetics is a thick layer of Thracian/Dacian/Illyrian which were probably Romanized. The difference between "Serbia" and "Romania" is that the latter had much more defendable position such as the Welsh. The carpathians acted as a "defense" against "barbarian" influences. That is not to say Romania was not influenced by the slavs and i consider slavs as part of my ancestry as well. Even the accents of the Balkans are all similar and have no problem pronouncing any word in Greek or Bulgarian or Serbian as opposed to say maybe Russian, Polish etc.

I thought he was refering to Moesians. Moesian sounds more like a regional name. I think some of our friends here are under estimating the number of "Romanized Thracians/Dacians" in present day Bulgaria which were the majority perhaps even after the slavic migrations and were later culturized into the "Bulgarian" ethnicity. Bulgarians claim Thracian ancestry correct? Then this should only be logical.

Well first of all, Vuk didn't say that - but vice verse, he said that "Morlaks are Serbs".

So what are you saying, that the "Moesians" and "Dacians" were not really Bulgarians and Serbs?

Also, I remembered yet another - the "Slavs" are "Scythians".

Maybe both were said. I remember discussing this a few days ago with another Serb that brought it up to me.

Moesians seems to be a regional name that could be just about anyone, as for Dacians, well there is a Serb/Romanian relation.

Slavs were called Scythians based on geography too, but this was toward the Russians. "The Scythians have besieged Constantinople"
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 11:23

Don't you two mean the MOESIANS?

It's nothing strange. The Byzantine writers called various Balkan peoples with their archaic names, for example, the Hungarians are often Peons (originally Turks, although that is not of archaic relevance), while the Serbs are "Dalmats" and occasionally "Tribals". There were similar names for Persians too...for an example, the Serbs are even called "Dacians", whereas that shouldn't be mistaken with the proto-Romanians.

Serbs were called Dacians because "All Serbs are Vlachs." ~ Vuk Stefanovic Karadzic

Again for the most part european genetics have not changed much since the paleoithic. So under that layer of slav and "Iranic Sorb/Serb" (theory) genetics is a thick layer of Thracian/Dacian/Illyrian which were probably Romanized. The difference between "Serbia" and "Romania" is that the latter had much more defendable position such as the Welsh. The carpathians acted as a "defense" against "barbarian" influences. That is not to say Romania was not influenced by the slavs and i consider slavs as part of my ancestry as well. Even the accents of the Balkans are all similar and have no problem pronouncing any word in Greek or Bulgarian or Serbian as opposed to say maybe Russian, Polish etc.

I thought he was refering to Moesians. Moesian sounds more like a regional name. I think some of our friends here are under estimating the number of "Romanized Thracians/Dacians" in present day Bulgaria which were the majority perhaps even after the slavic migrations and were later culturized into the "Bulgarian" ethnicity. Bulgarians claim Thracian ancestry correct? Then this should only be logical.

Well first of all, Vuk didn't say that - but vice verse, he said that "Morlaks are Serbs".

So what are you saying, that the "Moesians" and "Dacians" were not really Bulgarians and Serbs?

Also, I remembered yet another - the "Slavs" are "Scythians".

Maybe both were said. I remember discussing this a few days ago with another Serb that brought it up to me.

Moesians seems to be a regional name that could be just about anyone, as for Dacians, well there is a Serb/Romanian relation.

Slavs were called Scythians based on geography too, but this was toward the Russians. "The Scythians have besieged Constantinople"

No, just this.

However, 'Moesians' were used exclusively for Bulgarians, just like 'Tribals' or 'Dalmats' for Serbs.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 03:54
I don't think that's wholely accurate. Based on what?
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 14:03

I don't think that's wholely accurate. Based on what?

It is based on the citations themselves ad the wellknown practice of Byzantium to call neighboring peoples with Archaic names in the XI and XII centuries.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 21:56
But it wasn't just Bulgarians that lived in Moeasia.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 22:50

But it wasn't just Bulgarians that lived in Moeasia.

Nor was it just Serbs in Dalmatia.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 20:15
So my point stands that it is a regional name not an ethnic/race classification.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 22:10
I disagree with Ioanitsa Wallahitsa. There is nothing in Choniates's text that can suggest that he means by Vlachs -- inhabitants of Moesia. Apparently for him Vlachs is an ethnonym rather than geographical term.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 13:28

Originally posted by Anton

I disagree with Ioanitsa Wallahitsa. There is nothing in Choniates's text that can suggest that he means by Vlachs -- inhabitants of Moesia. Apparently for him Vlachs is an ethnonym rather than geographical term.

Vlachs and Bulgarians were two distinct peoples (as their descendants are now), one should be very ignorant and unfamiliar with the historical sources to think otherwise. Even if 'Vlachs' would have been hypothetically used by Choniates as the name for the inhabitants of a certain region, this would mean that the region was inhabited by the people called 'Vlachs', or at least they exercited the power there. Show me sources contemporary or older than Choniates where 'Vlachs' means anything else than the 'Vlach' people/ethnicity.

BTW Anton, Romanians called the Bulgarians 'schei' (from lat. sclavis = 'Slavs', 'cl' followed by vocal in Latin transformed in Romanian in 'che'/'chi', like in 'cheie' < 'clavis' - 'key', 'chema'<'clamare' - 'to call' etc., there are innumerable examples) and later 'sarbi' (i.e. 'Serbs'), which were the names we gave to all Southern Slavs, disregarding the fact that now they are 'Serbs', 'Bulgarians'  etc., until relatively recent times we knew nothing about 'bulgar' (i. e. 'Bulgarian') as ethnonyme. To give another example, the Slavonic language you have shown in another thread to had been used by our cultivated people centuries ago (and only by the cultivated people, which were very few in those times), was called 'limba sarbeasca' in Romanian, i. e. 'Serbian language'. Do you have an explanation? I ask you because unlike most of your connationals on this board, who are some sort of 'Carpatian Wolves', you seem more reasonable. 

Edited by Sahrian - 09-Oct-2008 at 17:32
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 14:34
Originally posted by Sahrian

Vlachs and Bulgarians were two distinct peoples (as their descendants are now), one should be very ignorant and unfamiliar with the historical sources to think otherwise. Even if 'Vlachs' would have been hypothetically used by Choniates as the name for the inhabitants of a certain region, this would mean that the region was inhabited by the people called 'Vlachs', or at least they exercited the power there. Show me sources contemporary or older than Choniates where 'Vlachs' means anything else than the 'Vlach' people/ethnicity.

There are examples. The entire coastal adriatic population, and in the hinterland, was called "Vlachs", even though not referring to ethnic Vlachs. "Vlachs" was the was the name of "nomads" in there also, a status, rather than ethnicity, often synonymous to "Serbs", and in Slavonia 'Vlachs' were "Orthodox Christians". In the end, and coming out of this, it was a derogatorry term for Serbs in the Habsburg lands.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 14:37

There are examples. The entire coastal adriatic population, and in the hinterland, was called "Vlachs", even though not referring to ethnic Vlachs. "Vlachs" was the was the name of "nomads" in there also, a status, rather than ethnicity, often synonymous to "Serbs", and in Slavonia 'Vlachs' were "Orthodox Christians". In the end, and coming out of this, it was a derogatorry term for Serbs in the Habsburg lands.

In the times of Choniates?! Please quote the historical sources...  What you say happened much LATER. If you tell me now that by 'Vlachs' we should understand 'Serbs', I'm sorry to say, but I assure you that you are still not prepared to face a serious historical debate. You still have to learn. 

Edited by Sahrian - 09-Oct-2008 at 14:45
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 15:31

In the times of Choniates?! Please quote the historical sources...  What you say happened much LATER. If you tell me now that by 'Vlachs' we should understand 'Serbs', I'm sorry to say, but I assure you that you are still not prepared to face a serious historical debate. You still have to learn. 

Yes, after.

Sahrian, I am more than prepared, as deeply interested in history. Wink For starters, let me quote the Romanian Metropolitan of Transylvania, Andrei Saguna:

"The Catholic Croats called the Serb colonists 'Vlachs', in order to mock them and mark that they are not of the same kin as the Catholic Croats."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 16:42
Yes, after.

Sahrian, I am more than prepared, as deeply interested in history. Wink For starters, let me quote the Romanian Metropolitan of Transylvania, Andrei Saguna:

"The Catholic Croats called the Serb colonists 'Vlachs', in order to mock them and mark that they are not of the same kin as the Catholic Croats."

Preconceptions based on religious or ethnical differences are easy to be formed.  I don't know the source of your quote, but in the times of Shaguna we had both Orthodox and Greek-Catholic Romanians who fought for our rights in Transylvania, and if we have to face the truth, the later were more evolved, both intellectually and in their means. I know that for you being Orthodox is the only way to differentiate from your Croat and Muslim "brothers", but for me being Orthodox (nominally I really am) is just an accident. 

Many teenagers and people whose intelectual development stops at that age consider that their ethnicity/religion is the best in the world, even if they are incapable to show any argument, they are able just to express their fancies.  In forums like this we should  learn one from another and should apply the "Sine ira et studio" principle.

P. S.: My apologies for wandering away from the thread's subject. BTW, I never understood why Yugoslavia never included Bulgaria, they would have never had disputes with 'Macedonians'.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKkayz3C8Aw, it is about a Romanian greek-Catholic, our great hero Vasile Lucaci.

Edited by Sahrian - 09-Oct-2008 at 20:50
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 17:45
I'm quite sure most of you are familiar with Willelmus de Rubruc and his work "Itinerarium fratis Willelmi de Rubruc de ordine fratrum minorum, anno gratiae MCCLIII ad partes orientales" or just "Journey to the eastern countries". This document is dated 1252-1253 and it's written during the Forth crusade.
And here is one very interesting chapter regarding bulgars and wlachs:
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 17:53
I provide this link for an English translation: http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/texts/rubruck.html. I know the text, but I don't know what you insinuate.  Actually the best part of the book is on Tatars and their customs.

Edited by Sahrian - 09-Oct-2008 at 18:00
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 18:20

I am more than prepared, as deeply interested in history. Wink For starters, let me quote the Romanian Metropolitan of Transylvania, Andrei Saguna:"The Catholic Croats called the Serb colonists 'Vlachs', in order to mock them and mark that they are not of the same kin as the Catholic Croats."

Saying that you are more than prepared and then quoting from a 19th century nationalist cleric who was completely illiterate in history even for his time is hilarious.

czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 18:30
@Sahrian
I'm not insinuating anything. Anyone can decide to take, or not to take,
this document into concideration. The information givven on that document is curios, cause it contradicts entirely with the dacian theory about the wlachian origin.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 19:23
There is only a short and interpretable phrase. I really can't understand to what did you refer. Please be more specific. 
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 23:49

Yes, after.

Preconceptions based on religious or ethnical differences are easy to be formed.  I don't know the source of your quote, but in the times of Shaguna we had both Orthodox and Greek-Catholic Romanians who fought for our rights in Transylvania, and if we have to face the truth, the later were more evolved, both intellectually and in their means. I know that for you being Orthodox is the only way to differentiate from your Croat and Muslim "brothers", but for me being Orthodox (nominally I really am) is just an accident. 

Many teenagers and people whose intelectual development stops at that age consider that their ethnicity/religion is the best in the world, even if they are incapable to show any argument, they are able just to express their fancies.  In forums like this we should  learn one from another and should apply the "Sine ira et studio" principle.

P. S.: My apologies for wandering away from the thread's subject. BTW, I never understood why Yugoslavia never included Bulgaria, they would have never had disputes with 'Macedonians'.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKkayz3C8Aw, it is about a Romanian greek-Catholic, our great hero Vasile Lucaci.

Bulgaria was already a formed up and indepentent country. In 1878. Both Serbs and Bulgarians had their own countries. The creation of a Yugoslavia was an extention of Serbian sovereignty, no way the Bulgarians would've given up on their independence. And yes, there would definitely be conflicts with the Vardar Macedonia - "South Serbia" - as the Bulgarians would've most certaintly not approved the Serbianization of the Macedonians. Next to that, those were times of bad relations between Serbs and Bulgars, especially since they were precisely then in war. That's why. Embarrassed

Originally posted by Menumorut

I am more than prepared, as deeply interested in history. Wink For starters, let me quote the Romanian Metropolitan of Transylvania, Andrei Saguna:"The Catholic Croats called the Serb colonists 'Vlachs', in order to mock them and mark that they are not of the same kin as the Catholic Croats."

Saying that you are more than prepared and then quoting from a 19th century nationalist cleric who was completely illiterate in history even for his time is hilarious.

He wasn't talking about history, but about his time.

Menumorut, do you really disagree with me? We can go thoroughly, if you'd like. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>