Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Second Bulgarian State

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Bulgarian State
    Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 06:37
My friend you got it all wrong. I didn't say there are no romanians until the 18th century,
I just said that the national idea/ideal as we know it today is something that the medieval people are unfamiliar with.
Do you think that the vlachs, which found themselves  under the rule of the Vlachian voedostvo, tought them selfs as a descendents of the city of Rome, or some forsaken colonists?
The usage of the bulgarian language in the vlachian daily life, states only how close the two groups were, after centuries of co-existing.
And yes, I do say that  no romanians are mentioned in the documents regarding the
Second Bulgarian state.
And i have another question Wink for you my friend. Why there is no source, no document
regarding the vlachian people during the First Bulgarian Empire? The majority of documents
concern the slavs, bulgarians and greeks, that's way I asked "from where did they came from" :) But I think that this question is for another topic :)

Edited by czarnian - 07-Jul-2008 at 06:53
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 06:43
Some thoughts about the cuman origin.

1)Regarding their relligon:
The bulgarian patriarch St. Evtimious, wrote that when Asen/Assen/Asyan was crowned and baptised, he gained the name of Joan a.k.a Joan-Asen I. If this is true, we can presume that he and his brothers are first generation of christians, and we can surely say, that they are not part of the last royal dynasty.

2)Regarding their names:
Their names Belgun and Asyan are clearly turkic. There are many cuman leaders wearing
variations of Asen's name in the 11-12 century. The name origins from the turkic Assena/Ashina a.k.a wolf, and we all know what part did the wolf played in the turkic mythology and relligion.
The wlachian rulers north of the Danube have names such as: Vlad, Mircho, Radu - we can't
find such names south of the river. We don't have information about their parents, but there is a document in which we can find some information about their gradfather the "schytian" Boril, we can also find a clear turkic trace in the origin of his name.

3)Regarding the major cumanic influence:
The main part of the army during the rule of Kalo-Joan was cuman, his wife was also a cuman woman.
The major role that the cuman army played even in the early military campaigns of Petar and Joan-Asen. Cuman traces can be found in the royal court, and in the other two dynasties that succeded the Asen dynasty. For example the dynasty of tzar Geoge/Georgi Terter - his cognomen Terter, origins from the cuman Terteroba. The Shishman dynasty also has a noticeble cuman origin.

We have documents for some clarly barbaric acts of Kalo/Joan. Peter the Monk writes, that he made a drinking cup from the skull an enemy ruler*.
can't remember which latin king that was :)

ps
there is also a bunch of documnets, pointing at clearly non-nomadic* actions, and moves
taken by the brothers. Those actions stand against the cuman theory, and I think that the
truth is somewhere in between. They are the result of a cuman-bulgarian relationship :), or
some kind of mixed-barbarians.

cumans are nomads.

Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 06:57
Originally posted by czarnian

My friend you got it all wrong. I didn't say there are no romanians until the 18th century,
I just said that the national idea/ideal as we know it today. Do you think that the vlachs, which fount themselves  under the rule of the Vlachian voedostvo, tought them selfs as a descendents of the city of Rome, or some forsaken colonists?
The usage of the bulgarian language in the vlachian daily life, states only how close the two groups were, after centuries of co-existing.
And yes, I do say that  no romanians are mentioned in the documents regarding the
Second Bulgarian state.
And i have another question Wink for you my friend. Why there is no source, no document
regarding the vlachian people during the First Bulgarian Empire? The majority of documents
concern the slavs, bulgarians and greeks, that's way I asked "from where did they came from" :) But I think that this question is for another topic :)

Yes I do think they thought themselves as Romans. Here's why:

The thousands of old Roman coins dating from the IV, V and VI centuries found on Romania are peculiar because they are a) made of bronze and b) show the portrait of contemporary emperors on them. The first part affirms that these coins were not valuable, meaning that they were common currency. There is no way such coins could have found their way into Romania through tribute or trade between the Romans and barbarians because the Goths, Avars, Huns, and others would only accept gold coins and items as tribute, as bronze coins had little value or use to them. The material indicates that these coins were used as a common bartering currency for low-value items (like food or iron) by a poor populace. Their number, and the diverse locations that they've been found in, indicates that this populace was large, and spread all over the country. The second aspect reflects the historical fact that there was significant communication between this proto-Romanian populace and the Roman Empire, enough to allow for the accurate re-minting of coins. Even if the coins were imported by the proto-Romanians from the Romans, it still is evidence of significant contact between the Romans and the Romanians North of the Danube

The Byzantine historian I. Kynnamos writes that Leon Vatatzes, in preparing for an attack on the Magyars, mobilized many Romanians from the coastline of the Pontus Euxinus. He then also writes of Romanians from the north of Danube taking part, alongside the Imperial commander Leon Vatatzes, in the campaign, in the year of 1167, adding his remark about the Vlachs (Romanians): "it is said they are colonists arrived a long time ago from Italy."

Antonius Bonfinius wrote: “Because the Romanians are descendants of the Romans, a fact that even today is attested by their language, a language that, even though they are surrounded by diverse barbarian peoples, could not be destroyed.... even if all kinds of barbarian attacks flooded over the province of Dacia and the Roman people, we can see that the Roman colonies and legions that had been established there could not be annihilated."

Francesco della Valle wrote in 1534: "the emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans"

From Huszti Andras: "The offspring of the Dacians still live even today and live where their forefathers lived, and speak in a language similar to their forefathers."

Benko Jozsef writes in 1777: “What remains of the Roman colonists who mixed with others are the Romanians.”

Despot Voda wrote in 1561: "we are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents."

====================

So you see all through the years we've considered ourselves what we were, Romans. Why wouldn't we?

The usage of Bulgarian only shows that that was what was used in Church. Just how the Hungarians and Poles used Latin. That's all.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 07:00

Some thoughts about the cuman origin.

The bulgarian patriarch St. Evtimious, wrote that when Asen/Assen/Asyan was crowned and baptised, he gained the name of Joan a.k.a Joan-Asen I. If this is true, we can presume that he and his brothers are first generation of christians, and we can surely say, that they are not part of the last royal dynasty.

2)Regarding their names:
Their names Belgun and Asyan are clearly turkic. There are many cuman leaders wearing
variations of Asen's name in the 11-12 century. The name origins from the turkic Assena/Ashina a.k.a wolf, and we all know what part did the wolf played in the turkic mythology and relligion.
The wlachian rulers north of the Danube have names such as: Vlad, Mircho, Radu - we can't
find such names south of the river. We don't have information about their parents, but there is a document in which we can find some information about their gradfather the "schytian" Boril, we can also find a clear turkic trace in the origin of his name.

The main part of the army during the rule of Kalo-Joan was cuman, his wife was also a cuman woman.
The major role that the cuman army played even in the early military campaigns of Petar and Joan-Asen. Cuman traces can be found in the royal court, and in the other two dynasties that succeded the Asen dynasty. For example the dynasty of tzar Geoge/Georgi Terter - his cognomen Terter, origins from the cuman Terteroba. The Shishman dynasty also has a noticeble cuman origin.

We have documents for some clarly barbaric acts of Kalo/Joan. Peter the Monk writes, that he made a drinking cup from the skull an enemy ruler*.
can't remember which latin king that was :)

ps
there is also a bunch of documnets, pointing at clearly non-nomadic* actions, and moves
taken by the brothers. Those actions stand against the cuman theory, and I think that the
truth is somewhere in between. They are the result of a cuman-bulgarian relationship :), or
some kind of mixed-barbarians.

cumans are nomads.

'Thus, taking this into account, we have decided since long, through our envoy or our letters, that we should pay a visit to your lordship, so that, realizing your faith to the Roman Church, your Mother, we might then send you, who say that you are a descendent of the Noble kin of the Romans…, As he (God the Father) will help you to be a Roman in this worldly life and for your Eternal Salvation by your own striving, the same as you are by your descent; and he shall help the people of your country which say that they are the Romans, blood and flesh'

So why do they in Rome have the impression he is of "Roman blood and flesh"? I'm not denying there may be a Cumanic/Bulgar admixture but to deny the Roman(Vlach) side is silly.
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 07:09

:) You can clearly see, that those sources are frot the late 16th and 18th century. And we are talking about the 12-13th century. Regarding the coins, that is not an avidence for some kind of nationality. The teritories of modern Romania took part of the major barbaric invisions during the centuries. They were under Roman, Byzantine, Bulgarian, Magyar and Tatar rule. I can't imagine how a group of people can preserve their roman blood.

" So why do they in Rome have the impression he is of "Roman blood and flesh"? I'm not denying there may be a Cumanic/Bulgar admixture but to deny the Roman(Vlach) side is silly."

I'm not denying the vlach theory Shocked where did I do that? There are evidences backing up the 3 theories: the bulgarian origin, the cuman, and the vlach one. No matter their originl, they are acting with the clear mind, that they are rebuilding the Bulgarian tzardom. There is absolutely no doubt abot that.

In the origina latin document, the pope writes, that he "heard"(we don't know from where)
that Joan has roman blood. And who are those "forefathers"? The Krum dynasty, or Samuil and his brothers? We don't have any other document that can clarify the pope's word. I wrote in the begining of the disscusion, that I think that this firs letter is just a diplomatic manoeuvre.

Edited by czarnian - 07-Jul-2008 at 07:27
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 07:34

:) You can clearly see, that those sources are frot the late 16th and 18th century. And we are talking about the 12-13th century. Regarding the coins, that is not an avidence for some kind of nationality. The teritories of modern Romania took part of the major barbaric invisions during the centuries. They were under Roman, Byzantine, Bulgarian, Magyar and Tatar rule. I can't imagine how a group of people can preserve their roman blood.

So why do they in Rome have the impression he is of "Roman blood and flesh"? I'm not denying there may be a Cumanic/Bulgar admixture but to deny the Roman(Vlach) side is silly.

In the origina latin document, the pope writes, that he "heard"(we don't know from where)
that Joan has roman blood. And who are those "forefathers"? The Krum dynasty, or Samuil and his brothers? We don't have any other document that can clarify the pope's word. I wrote in the begining of the disscusion, that I think that this firs letter is just a diplomatic manoeuvre.

One of the quotes states 1167 actually. Need more? Here you go:

Archaeological digs throughout Transylvania and Romania have discovered many clay pots dating from the IV, V, VI, and VII centuries. What makes these pots particularly interesting is that they were made using the potter's wheel, an invention which no migratory people had when the came through Romania. The only population which could have produced these pots is one which had sufficient contact with the Roman and Hellenic world to adopt this style of making pots. We know the Slavs did not adopt this style until much later because pots made without the use of the potter's wheel are also found throughout Romania during this time.

Vasile Parvan discovered two documents in Transylvania dating from the IV century which mentions a Goth "king" who referred to himself as "jude" over his populace, an administrative title preserved also by the Romanian principalities in the Middle Ages. This king chose the title because it must have had some significance to the people he presided over, otherwise there would have been no point in using it as opposed to some proto-Germanic word like "Herzog." Since this title was only relevant to Romanians, it is clear that this king must have presided over the proto-Romanians

The chronicle Oguzname, the oldest Turkish chronicle in existence, mentioning a warlike expedition of the Cumans, affirms the existence of a “Country of the Vlachs” east of the Carpathians in 839, affirming that the region was well organized and with a powerful army

The Romanian batran, meaning “old”, is significant as it does not derive from the Latin equivalent “vetus” (in Italian, Vecchio, in French, Vieux etc.); instead it derives from the latin word veteranus, referring to a Roman Legionary after he is released from military duty. The reason for this is because of the procedures of Roman colonization. When a village was Romanized, the veterans of the Roman Legion had an important role; because military service was long (twenty-five years), a large part of these Roman legionaries were married, the wives and children having to live nearby the military camps, named canabae. Since many of the legions and auxillary troops of Rome were to maintain their position permanently in Dacia, it is evident that many of the wives of the soldiers would be indigenous, Dacian. At their release from military service, the legionary was named veteranus, and he would obtain (if he did not have it before) the right to citizenship for himself and his entire family, as well as a piece of land to cultivate. The children of the veterans and the Dacian women were Roman citizens and spoke Latin, but the majority would have known Dacian, their maternal tongue. The children of these children, the grandchildren of the veterans, would be totally Romanized. In two, maximum three generations, the followers of these mixed marriages forgot their indigenous language. Thus the number of veterans in Dacia would have been considerably large, which is why an elder is referred to through exactly this word, batran, derived from veteranus, having been modified through Romanian phonetics. In essence, the system of veteranus would be critical in the Romanization of Dacia, as elderly vetarans, who had now gained rights to property, would have no reason to leave what they had worked for over 25 years to attain. The case here is not about a single wave of veterans under Trajan, but for a continuous series of settlements of veterans which wanted to remain in Dacia

Ernst Gamillschag has attested that the Romanians have preserved the Thracian word for the Danube, “Donaris/Donare” which means “The big river” even though the Albanians and Aromanians use the Turkish word “Duna.” He writes “The old name for the river would have disappeared from the Daco-Roman vocabulary had they only returned to their old homeland centuries after they left. The name “Donaris” was borrowed by the Romans who mixed with the Dacians, and this word has been well preserved.”

Romanization could not have been possible South of the Jirecek Line, which runs through Bulgaria, Serbia, and the upper part of Albania, as that region was historically Hellenized, whereas only regions to the North of this line were Romanized (this due to the strong standing of Hellenic culture South of this line). The formation of the Romanian people South of this line (in modern Albania) is nigh impossible.

The survival of the Romanians North of the Danube is not surprising especially when we consider another example of such survival, in Wales. When the Romans left Britain, a certain portion of the Roman population was resettled at Brittany in France, but some remained. These people became known as the Welsh, which is a Germanic word for Latin-speakers, and is also the root-word for the term “Vlach”. When we consider the current geographical region of Wales, we find them behind the only mountains in Roman-occupied Britain, where Roman culture was still preserved (though with extremely strong Celtic influences). These mountains acted as an effective shield against the Saxons, Vikings, Normans, Picts, Angles, and other barbarians which ravaged the country. When we consider the topographical realities of Transylvania, it is impossible to assume that no trace of Roman civilization could have survived there while it did in Britain. The Carpathians at Transylvania dwarf the Welsh mountains, and Transylvania also has the advantage of having dense forests, and a very hilly topography. Some historians (both in antiquity and modern times) have described it as looking like a natural fortress. Nomadic barbarians preferred to move through flat plains, where they could benefit from the agility of their horses, which is proven in the way that the Huns, Avars, and Gepids, all choosing to go around the Carpathians into the Pannonian plain through Slovakia, where the mountains are lower, and then possibly swinging around into Transylvania (though their penetration in this region can not be attested as significant).

Nicetas Choniates tells us that as Andronic Comnenos was heading towards the Cneazate of Hailici in 1164, but was captured by Vlachs along the way. It’s important to note that at the time the Byzantine Empire controlled all the territory up to the Danube Delta (as the Empire of Vlachs and Bulgars was only founded in 1185), including Dobruja, and the state of Hailici controlled most of the Medieval state of Moldova. This leaves only Southern Moldova and Eastern Wallachia as the location of this kidnapping.

The Byzantine historian I. Kynnamos writes that Leon Vatatzes, in preparing for an attack on the Magyars, mobilized many Romanians from the coastline of the Pontus Euxinus. He then also writes of Romanians from the north of Danube taking part, alongside the Imperial commander Leon Vatatzes, in the campaign, in the year of 1167, adding his remark about the Vlachs (Romanians): "it is said they are colonists arrived a long time ago from Italy."

Antonius Bonfinius wrote: “Because the Romanians are descendants of the Romans, a fact that even today is attested by their language, a language that, even though they are surrounded by diverse barbarian peoples, could not be destroyed.... even if all kinds of barbarian attacks flooded over the province of Dacia and the Roman people, we can see that the Roman colonies and legions that had been established there could not be annihilated”

A biographer of the Roman Emperor Aurelian, in reference to the withdrawal from Dacia, writes: “The whole population which lived near military camps, the families of military men, veterans who had retired in the region, and merchants followed the army to the right side of the Danube. However, a large number of settlers who had lived there for a long time and maintained good relations with the Goths did not have a single reason to evacuate the province. In this sense, a complete withdrawal of Dacia could not be possible without a new war, as the Goths would not have allowed these settlers to leave.”

Persian Gardizi (end of 11th century) speaks about a Christian Latinate people situated between Russians, Bulgarians and Hungarians: "They are all Christians… they are more numerous than the Hungarians"

The Armenian cartographer Chorenatsi writes in the 9th century of a "the country which is called Balak” (in reference to Blachs/Vlachs) North of the Danube

According to Kekaumenos' Strategicon (1066), the Vlachs of Epirus and Thessalia came from north of the Danube and from along the Sava

Nestor's Chronicle, (1097-1110), relating events from 862 to 1110, mentions Wallachians attacking and subduing the Slavs north of Danube and settling among them

The Byzantine Emperor Constantine the 7th Porphyrogenetes (912 - 959) writes at the middle of 10th century "De cerimoniis", "De thematibus" and "De administrando imperio". Dealing briefly with the settlement of the Slavs in Balkans and with the events triggered by this, Constantine the 7th speaks in his last work about the Romanian population, calling them Romans (!): "They are called Romans and they have preserved this name to the present times";

Among the many Islamic documents about the oriental and south-eastern Europe there is this Persian geographer Gardizi's treatise entitled "The Jewel of Histories", written during 1049-1053 (according to A. Decei) or in 1094 (according to V. Minorsky). Gardizi, describing the ethnical and political reality of Eastern Europe, mentions "a nation from the Roman Empire (az Rum); and they are all Christians (...) and they are more in number than the Magyars..." (see V. Minorsky, "Hudud al Alam", London, 1938, Gibb Memorial Series).

One century after Kekaumenos, another chronicler, Kynnamos, depicts Romanians from the north of Danube taking part, alongside the Imperial commander Leon Vatatzes, in a campaign against the Magyars, in the year of 1167, adding his remark about the Vlachs (Romanians): "it is said they are colonists arrived a long time ago from Italy" (in original: "qui Italorum coloni quondam fuisse perhibentur"). See also Ioannes Cinnamus, "Epitome rerum ab Ioanne et Alexio Comnenis gestarum", VI, ed. Bonn, p. 260.

Pomponio Leto in the 15th century wrote „Dacia is a province which extendes in both directions over the Danube, which today is called Volochia and is ihabited by Volohs. It is an Italian land, ever since the Dacians speak Italian.”

Laonikos Chalkokondyles, a Byzantine writer, came to the conclusion in the 15th century came to the conclusion, after interacting with Vlachs from the Pindus mountains, that the Dacians spoke „a broken Italian.” This is of course the wrong conclusion, but it shows educated men generally regarded the Vlachs as Romanized Dacians

=============================

The coins clearly showed a population that saw themselves under the sphere of the Romans and made coins to match the Emperors in power.

Roman and Byzantine are the same thing. The term Byzantine didn't come into use after the Roman Empire lost Constantinople.

When did the Bulgarians rule Romania? Even if the 2nd Vlach-Bulgarian empire was purely Bulgarian they only would have "Wallachia" which is roughly at most 1/3rd of all of Romania.

Magyars ruled Transilvania and in minority. The Romanians had always been the majority and the Magyars always took populations outside their boarders and absorbed them via Magyarization.

When did the Tatars ever rule Romania? This is just silly.

You can't see how a group of people can preserve their Roman blood? Well it seems none of those people in the past had such a problem. Perhaps opinions change now a days do to political issues no?

Heard? Now we are playing semantics?
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 07:48

Lol man :) Why did you qoute all that stuff about the vlachs? By Byzantine i ment the Eastern Roman Empire ;) As far as I know, the tatars rule spread over the teritories of modern Norther Dobrudza. The First Bulgarian empire included teritories even from Transilvania, which later on became part of the Hungarian Empire.

I still can't imagine a group of people that can preserve their ethnical purity(except the eskimo :D ). We are not living on a remote islad, this is the Balkans we are talking about!

Yes, opinions do change dramaticaly due political issues.

And no, the second empire was not entirely bulgarian, it was a vlachian, cuman, slav conglomeration. But it was also different from the modern day bulgarian, romanian, serbian,
hungarian and greek nations, which are  products of the еvents that took place in 18th and 19th centuries. It's silly to talk about nationalism, nationality in the medieval times.

Yep, it 100% "heard" :)

Edited by czarnian - 07-Jul-2008 at 07:56
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 07:56
Im quoting it because you said "I don't see how these people can maintain their Roman blood".

So i showed you how.

Tatars are still today in northern dobrogea but weren't ever a majority.

I didn't say they were ethnically pure. No people can claim that. You probably have Romanian relatives somewhere in your blood line and me Bulgarian, and both of us Greek etc.

But your notion that nobody considered us Romans and we never considered ourselves Romans until the 18th century is silly. Why would we ever stop? What did we consider ourselves in the "inbetween phase"?

I read the letter of the pope in latin and i'm not seeing a "heard". Nothing similar to aud (audio) or anything like that. Maybe it's late and I am missing it. In any case why disregard the pope's words which is no worse of a source then anything else. He's never claimed a Cumanic origin has he? Personally I think his blood line is part of the Cumanic ruling class, but was mostly Romanian with Bulgarian mixture.
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 08:01
Yes, he never claimed to be cuman, or vlach. He wrote to be a descendend of the old tzars. Maybe he was a vlacho-cuman, or vlacho-bulgarian, or cuman-vlacho-bulgarian mixture. Those are the three main theories, they have their flaws and strog sides.
And those are the reasons why I stand by the cuman theory of their origin:

2)Regarding their names:

Edited by czarnian - 07-Jul-2008 at 08:20
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 12:01
We know that when the second bulgarian empire was struggling against the roman empire the cuman majority was living north of the danube. They were spending their summer in their homeland and with the call of asen brothers pass the danube and cooperate with rebellion. So can we say that todays romania was the heartland of cumans?Some sources called that lands cumania. Did the vlachs form the majority of todays romania at that time?Dear Carpathian wolf did the vlachs in the north of the danube participated in the rebellion?  
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 12:21
The question wasn't addressed to me, but I'll try to answer it :).

I don't know of any evidence for involvment of the northern vlachs
in the rebellion. The land north of Danube was under hungarian rule at that time. 
The title "Emperor of vlachs and bulgarians" worn by Joan, may also mean that at some time, he rulled over some parts north of Dunube. We can find confirmation for this in a letter
from the pope to the hungarian king, regarding Joan's rights over his "forefathers land"
north of the river( Belgrad and Branichevo regions).

The bulgarian rulership over those teritories was temporary,and that could explain the
absence of "vlachs" in the title of bulgarian tzars after Joan.

Edited by czarnian - 07-Jul-2008 at 12:25
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 12:37
Thanks for answering czarnian, I think that the asen brothers were probably cumans. After their initial defeat they go through the north of danube. And they called the cumans not vlachs. So it is logical to call your relatives I think. We accept the role of vlachs in this struggle but we dont have any sources about vlach involvement beyond the danube like the cumans. Somebody can say that there wasnt nationalism at that time so the vlachs in the north of danube may not involve in the rebellion but this makes me to think the vlach demography in the north of danube? 
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 12:52
The vlachs north of the river were a majority, but devided into different - voyevodstva maybe, under the rule oh Hungaria, with no idea of consolidation.
Something like the serbian principalities before the age of Stephan Dushan.
Then after the inner strugles that embraced Hungaria in the end of the 13th century, they were able to establish a strong country, and fill that political vaccum south of the Carpatian mountains.

Edited by czarnian - 07-Jul-2008 at 12:54
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 13:37
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

There is no way such coins could have found their way into Romania through tribute or trade between the Romans and barbarians because the Goths, Avars, Huns, and others would only accept gold coins and items as tribute, as bronze coins had little value or use to them
That's a preconception. There are plenty of bronze artefacts (also coins) in settlements and burials attributed to "barbarians", many of which were manufactured in the Roman Empire. Probably they weren't gifts, but acquired through trade or raiding, but it's false to imagine everything around these "barbarians" was golden.

Archaeological digs throughout Transylvania and Romania have discovered many clay pots dating from the IV, V, VI, and VII centuries. What makes these pots particularly interesting is that they were made using the potter's wheel, an invention which no migratory people had when the came through Romania. The only population which could have produced these pots is one which had sufficient contact with the Roman and Hellenic world to adopt this style of making pots. We know the Slavs did not adopt this style until much later because pots made without the use of the potter's wheel are also found throughout Romania during this time.
That's another preconception. Some manufacturers produced both wheeled and unwheeled pots at the same time. There's no such thing as Slavic pottery (there were some theories about typologies like Prague type but they were already dismissed as methodologically unsound).

Vasile Parvan discovered two documents in Transylvania dating from the IV century which mentions a Goth "king" who referred to himself as "jude" over his populace, an administrative title preserved also by the Romanian principalities in the Middle Ages. This king chose the title because it must have had some significance to the people he presided over, otherwise there would have been no point in using it as opposed to some proto-Germanic word like "Herzog." Since this title was only relevant to Romanians, it is clear that this king must have presided over the proto-Romanians
Actually, the term was "iudex", a Latin term. No need to Romanianize the terms.
And it was no Transylvanian document, but Roman writers. This Goth iudex was Athanaric:
Auxentius of Durostorum: iudice Gothorum
Ammianus Marcellinus: iudicem potentissimum, Athanaricus Thervingorum iudex

Ernst Gamillschag has attested that the Romanians have preserved the Thracian word for the Danube, “Donaris/Donare” which means “The big river” even though the Albanians and Aromanians use the Turkish word “Duna.” He writes “The old name for the river would have disappeared from the Daco-Roman vocabulary had they only returned to their old homeland centuries after they left. The name “Donaris” was borrowed by the Romans who mixed with the Dacians, and this word has been well preserved.”
That's a conjecture. The name *Donaris is not attested (it was reconstructed after river names like Naparis)

I'm in no way denying the existence of a Romanian/proto-Romanian ethnicity, but it's no need to resort to stereotypes to prove it.

As for the initial topic of the discussion, the contemporary documents attest clearly that the Asenids were initially Vlachs. Some Bulgarian and Hungarian historians have some problems with that, but in Eastern Europe many historians have problems when it's about discussing the history of their own nations LOL
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 13:41
Originally posted by Chilbudios

[quote="Carpathian Wolf"]
As for the initial topic of the discussion, the contemporary documents attest clearly that the Asenids were initially Vlachs. Some Bulgarian and Hungarian historians have some problems with that, but in Eastern Europe many historians have problems when it's about discussing the history of their own nations LOL

And what exactly are those documents?
Coz based on the contemporary documents I can clearly say,  that the Asenids were initially Cumans. Some Bulgarian and Romania historians have some problems with that, but in Eastern Europe many historians have problems when it's about discussing the history of their own nations LOL

Edited by czarnian - 07-Jul-2008 at 13:54
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 14:03

and what exactly are those documents?

Nicetas Choniates, The Reign of Isaakios Angelos, book I (I quote from Magoulias edition, p. 204):

"... provoking other barbarians who lived in the vicinity of Mount Haimos, formerly called Mysians now called Vlachs, to declare war against him [i.e. Isaakios] and the Romans. [...] The instigators of this evil who incited the entire nation were a certain Peter and Asan, brothers sprung from the same parents. "

Ansbert in Historia Peregrinorum presents the two brothers as (Chroust edition, p. 33):
"Kalopetrus Flachus ac frater eius Assanius"

Coz based on the contemporary documents I can clearly say,  that the Asenids were initially Cumans
To my knowledge, these are the only two sources mentioning an ethnic attribution to Peter and Asen. All the other Asenids followed them, thus they may have changed their ethnic identity.

Some Bulgarian and Romania historians have some problems with that, but in Eastern Europe many historians have problems when it's about discussing the history of their own nations
Please read Robert Lee Wolff's article in Speculum 24/1949, "The 'Second Bulgarian Empire'. Its Origin and History to 1204".

Edited by Chilbudios - 07-Jul-2008 at 14:13
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 14:22

Nicetas Choniates, The Reign of Isaakios Angelos, book I (I quote from Magoulias edition, p. 204):

"... provoking other barbarians who lived in the vicinity of Mount Haimos, formerly called Mysians now called Vlachs, to declare war against him [i.e. Isaakios] and the Romans. [...] The instigators of this evil who incited the entire nation were a certain Peter and Asan, brothers sprung from the same parents. "

Ansbert in Historia Peregrinorum presents the two brothers as:
"Kalopetrus Flachus ac frater eius Assanius"

So your conclusion is based only on the way you interpret Choniates Wink I can't find even a hint in his words pointing at the vlachian origin of the brothers. For example
Georgius Acropolita in his "De Asani inserructione et de Bulgarorum victoria a Isaacio II Angelo lata" speaks only for bulgarians and schytians. He doesn't mention any vlachs, so i can concure, based on that sigle document(which is silly), that the brothers are from bulgarian origin.

Edited by czarnian - 07-Jul-2008 at 14:34
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 14:34

So your conclusion is based only on the way you interpret Choniates
No, it is not, it is based on the only two contemporary sources: Choniates and Ansbert.

I can't find even a hint in his words pointing at the vlachian origin of the brothers.
It follows from the text that instigators are part of the nation, which is that of barbarians, of Mysians now called Vlachs.
Besides, Ansbert's account says clearly they are Vlachs.

Georgius Acropolita in his "De Asani inserructione et de Bulgarorum victoria a Isaacio II Angelo lata" speaks only for bulgarians and schytians. He doesn't mention any vlachs, so i can concure, based on that sigle document(which is silly), that the brothers are from bulgarian origin.
Acropolites makes no suggestion on the ethnicity on the Asenids. Are you going to deny there were Vlachs in 12-13th centuries Bulgaria?
Besides, Nicetas Choniates and Ansbert were contemporary with the events. Acropolites wasn't.

Edited by Chilbudios - 07-Jul-2008 at 14:43
czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 14:43

@Carpathian wolf

Here is the original latin text of the letter to Joan from the pope :)

Respexit Dominus humilitatem tuam et devotionem quam erga Romanam Ecclesiam cognosceris hactenus habuisse, et te inter tumultus bellicos et guerrarum discrimina non solum potenter defendit, sed etiam mirabiliter et misericorditer dilatavit. Nos autem audito quod de nobili urbis Romae prosapia progenitores tui originem traxerint, et tu ab eis et sanguinis generositatem contraxeris et sincerae devotionis affectum quem ad apostolicam sedem geris quasi haereditario jure, jampridem te proposuimus litteris et nuntiis visitare..."

czarnian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote czarnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2008 at 14:58

So your conclusion is based only on the way you interpret Choniates
No, it is not, it is based on the only two contemporary sources: Choniates and Ansbert.

I can't find even a hint in his words pointing at the vlachian origin of the brothers.
It follows from the text that instigators are part of the nation, which is that of barbarians, of Mysians now called Vlachs.
Besides, Ansbert's account says clearly they are Vlachs.

Acropolites makes no suggestion on the ethnicity on the Asenids. Are you going to deny there were Vlachs in 12-13th centuries Bulgaria?
Besides, Nicetas Choniates and Ansbert were contemporary with the events. Acropolites wasn't.

Nowhere in the text Choniates states that the brothers are part of the same barbarians/mysians/vlachs, nowhere.  As for denying the existance of the vlachs, i have no such intentions. I just wanted to point out, how silly it is, to make such bold conclusions over one document, in your case Choniates.
But tell me this, the names of the brothers, how come they have tukic names - Belgun and Asyan? How come there are evidence that they are both first generation christians? If they were vlach or bulgarian( coz Choniates text could also stand for their bulgarian origin) isn't it logical that they( they are noblemen no doubt) are going to be baptised on birth?

Edited by czarnian - 07-Jul-2008 at 14:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>