Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monuments of Rome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monuments of Rome
    Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 15:33
This one really caught my eye! Can anyone please tell me more about it!

Qnzkid711 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qnzkid711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 21:25
In Rome Total War their called Awesome Temples of *then the god*.    I think its called a Parthenon though  

Edited by Qnzkid711
"Europe and Asia are finally mine. Woe to Chritendom. She has lost her sword and shield."
Ottoman Sultan after hearing of the death of Skenderbeg.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 21:57
That's called the Maison Caree in France.

Parthenon is a greek temple. Greek temples were different from Roman temples.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 01:34

n      Maison Carree Commentary

"This civic Roman temple was built by Agrippa, who died in 12 B.C. It was then dedicated to his two sons, Caius and Lucius, heirs of Augustus who both died very young. It shows the allegiance and loyalty of the Roman colony to the imperial dynasty. It stands on the short south side of the forum, which it dominates resting on a podium which is nearly 3 metres (10 feet) high. It was built of local limestone, but without a doubt the architect and workmen came from Rome. The source of the frieze with its acanthus scrolls is the Ara Pacis in Rome, which is the best preserved example of Augustan classicism. The ratio of short to long sides approaches 1:2 (6:11 columns), and the portico takes up almost a third of the total length."

John Julius Norwich. The World Atlas of Architecture. p163.

"It represents the ultimate of Graeco-Etruscan design interpreted in monumtental Augustan architecture, correct in the canons of design and incorporating a rich, well-detailed Corinthian order. It is raised on a podium 3.66m (12ft) high, with steps only on the entrance (west) facade, and it is psuedo-peripteral hexastyle."

Sir Banister Fletcher. Sir Banister Fletcher's A History of Architecture, 17th edition, p276.
 Post Reply Post Reply