Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Germanic a subgroup of the Iranian languages?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 72>
Author
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Germanic a subgroup of the Iranian languages?
    Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 13:36
Aha, this didn't occur to meBig%20smile
That 'aussuchen' should be pronounced as 'aussu-tsh-en' - it's pronounced 'ous-zookhen' Cyrus, with 'aus-' being a prefix. 'suchen' itself means 'to search for'.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 15:14
About the developement of sounds: maybe Cyrus also has an explanation for the Czech 'ř' sound, an alveolar fricative-trill consonant (the only in the world to my knowledge) - who did they inherit it from?? It wasn't in PIE, Iranian, Celtic, Germanic, Italic, Greek etc. It wasn't in Proto-Slavic. It's probable it was developed in Old West Slavic, since Polish language still writes the voiced palatal fricative with 'rz' in some words (ź in other), which leads us to conclusion that 'ź' and 'rz' represent two formerly different consonants that merged into a single consonant. The same can be said about Sorbian 'ř' which is pronounced 'sh', just like 'š'.

So, who did they borrow it from Cyrus?? Who had it??

By your logics, it would have to be borrowed from some other language, let's say Avar. Avars would have to borrow it from their ancestors, their ancestors from their ancestors, and we are right in 3,000,000 BCE. And we would end up with a claim that australopithecus had a fully developed articulated speech!!

Yes, it is very often random that a sound develops/changes. Zulu, Vietnamese, Czech, Maori - each of them possesses some kind of 'exotic' sound in their phonology system and it was a random developement.

Edited by Slayertplsko - 15-Jun-2008 at 16:14
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 18:48

In effect, yes. All these sound shifts are random, in the sense they are purposeless and aimless and unco-ordinated. There's no reason why 'k' should change to 'ch' at one particular place or time.

You should just say that you don't know why, it is enough that you compare these words with Persian ones then you will find the reasons.

The persian word for "face" is "Chihre", similar to Old French "Chiere", we see some parts of the face also start with "ch" sound, such as "Chashm" (eye). In English there are Cheek (Persian "Chak"), Chin (Persian Chane) and I believe the verb Chew (Middle Persian "Chuvtan", Modern Persian Javidan -> Jaw in English) ceratinly relate these words.

We can compare "Chin" with "Knee", "Cheek" with "Kick" and maybe "Chew" with "Come"!

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 19:05
Cyrus, there is no way how Persian language could have influenced English, because the nearest Persian was 3000km far away!!

And yes those shifts are random, we have already proved it.

Edited by Slayertplsko - 15-Jun-2008 at 19:19
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 19:10
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

The persian word for "face" is "Chihre", similar to Old French "Chiere", we see some parts of the face also start with "ch" sound, such as "Chashm" (eye). In English there are Cheek (Persian "Chak"), Chin (Persian Chane) and I believe the verb Chew (Middle Persian "Chuvtan", Modern Persian Javidan -> Jaw in English) ceratinly relate these words.

Jaw comes from Gaulish, via French.
Chin and cheek are Germanic words.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 19:11

We can compare "Chin" with "Knee", "Cheek" with "Kick" and maybe "Chew" with "Come"!

WHAT??LOL

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 19:20
Cyrus, who gave the 'ř' to western Slavs???
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 19:58

In effect, yes. All these sound shifts are random, in the sense they are purposeless and aimless and unco-ordinated. There's no reason why 'k' should change to 'ch' at one particular place or time.

You should just say that you don't know why, it is enough that you compare these words with Persian ones then you will find the reasons.

It's not that I don't know why at all. It's that I know there is no 'why'. Not a linguistic why, anyway: there may be physical reasons one could dream up, like maybe some Slavs had better or worse teeth so they distinguished between the hard 't' and 'd' and the soft versions, which most other people have trouble hearing any difference between.

Or of course, especially in England, there are social class reasons: you say "huntin, shootin and fishin" to distinguish yourself fashionably from hoi polloi who say "hunting, shooting and fishing".

I remember very early on a Russian instructor telling us that we should not say 'Tobolsk' but 'Tobolsk' (which is what it sounded like to us then) because there was no myagkii znak after the 'l'. (And there incidentally is a 'g' that is pronounced 'kh' for no reason whatsoever except somehow it caught on.)

Now you're just listing words with vaguely similar spelling (in different spelling conventions)  from different languages irrespective of their meanings. Again what does it prove that Chinese and French both have the word 'chou'? After all, writing that, it occurs to me that Chinese has the word 'lai' whch obviously is the same as English 'lie' so there's even more proof that the Chinese are Germanics, or whatever you're currently claiming.

We could, but why would we?

Incidentally modern English has no 'k' sound in 'knee' - or 'know' or 'knot' or 'knell' or 'knight' or 'knacker'...
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 22:31
Anyway, if you really need a 'source' for the shifts, the palatalisation was a common feature of Vulgar Latin and included the k -› tsh shift. A good example is the word 'Caesar'.

Unlike Persian, VL really was able to have some influence on Old English. Claiming that Persian influenced English is equivalent to claiming that Nahuatl influenced Avestan.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 22:36

I can't find 'chak' in the dictionary.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2008 at 22:37
About the 'chew' - Slovak žuvať.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 06:12

Cyrus, there is no way how Persian language could have influenced English, because the nearest Persian was 3000km far away!!

What are the distances between England and America or England and Australia? What is the relation between "influence" and "distance"? Do you want that I list numerous Persian words in the Comorian language? Do you know where Comoros Islands are?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 06:59
We there not Englishmen in America, Australia??? Yes there were, that's how English got to be spoken there. There were no Persians closer than 3000km (apart from a few merchants, just like from every nation)!!! English ESTABLISHED the Anglo-Saxon America and Australia!!! Persians merely knew where England lies! (maybe didn't know at all).

And also Zanzibar...so what?
Wikipedia on Comoros:
Traces of this original Asian culture have blended with successive waves of African, Arab and Shirazi immigrants.

Persians were on Comoros, but not even a bit near to England. That's it.

Anyway, what does English have to do with the topic of the thread?? Let's go back to the topic: 'Is Germanic a subgroup of Iranian?'. Why are you changing the topic so often??

Edited by Slayertplsko - 16-Jun-2008 at 07:02
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 07:07
And you still didn't reply to some of my questions:

1, where is it that I say there is no 'x' sound in Germanic languages???
2, who gave the 'ř' to western Slavs???

I'm especially interested in the second one. The first one was caused by you lacking the knowledge of phonological terms, OK you needn't answer the first one if you can't.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 07:33
And you still didn't reply to some of my questions
Ok, I do it first.

1, where is it that I say there is no 'x' sound in Germanic languages???
You said "kh - voiced x (often transcribed gh)...'x' is voiceless velar fricative, and it says voiced, so..."

2, who gave the 'ř' to western Slavs???

Should I know it?!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 07:45

You said "kh - voiced x (often transcribed gh)...'x' is voiceless velar fricative, and it says voiced, so..."

The link says: 'gh' (in English, not Avestan!) was pronounced as 'ch' in Scottish 'loch' - and that's voiceless velar fricative.

The source about Avestan says that voiced velar fricative is often transcribed as 'gh'. And as you know, I was talking about the voiced one.

The voiceless velar fricative is transcribed differently in each language! Slavic use 'ch' or 'h', Celtic use 'ch', some use 'kh', Spanish used once 'x' (Mexico) and now uses 'j' and so on. And it's still the same sound.

Do you even know the difference between voiced and voiceless?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 07:46

Should I know it?!

No because the answer doesn't exist. They were the ones that created it. Just like there was no bilabial fricative in PIE, but Avestan created it.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 08:15

Anyway, what does English have to do with the topic of the thread?? Let's go back to the topic: 'Is Germanic a subgroup of Iranian?'. Why are you changing the topic so often??

Is English a Germanic language or not? Are those words, that I mentioned, Germanic or not?

The fact is that you can find all Avestan Consonants in the Germanic "own" words, you say some modern Germanic languages lack some sounds, what does it prove? Isn't it obvious that they have lost those sounds?

Arabs and Persian have lived near, with and among one another for hundreds years, there are numerous Persian words in the Arabic language but Arabic lacks some phonetic sounds found in the Persian, such "ch", "p", ... just tell me one Arabic "loan" word from Persian with these sounds, if you find an Arabic "own" word then I will say Arabic is the same Persian! Wink

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 08:37
Originally posted by Slayertplsko

The link says: 'gh' (in English, not Avestan!) was pronounced as 'ch' in Scottish 'loch' - and that's voiceless velar fricative.

The source about Avestan says that voiced velar fricative is often transcribed as 'gh'. And as you know, I was talking about the voiced one.

The voiceless velar fricative is transcribed differently in each language! Slavic use 'ch' or 'h', Celtic use 'ch', some use 'kh', Spanish used once 'x' (Mexico) and now uses 'j' and so on. And it's still the same sound.

Do you even know the difference between voiced and voiceless?

Is Dutch a Germanic language or not?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 11:05

What are the distances between England and America or England and Australia?

In my case at the moment the nearest American to me is about 30 feet away. She has had a considerable effect on my vocabulary.
What is the relation between "influence" and "distance"? Do you want that I list numerous Persian words in the Comorian language? Do you know where Comoros Islands are?

Everybody else seems to think Comorian is a Swahili variant. But I bet you could find numerous 'Persian words' in every language on earth, since you define a 'Persian word' as 'any combination of phonemes'.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 72>