Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Summer Transfers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summer Transfers!
    Posted: 12-Jul-2008 at 03:58
Hey Kang - a quick question for you:

I don't know that much about Aleksander Hleb - can you enlighten me a little about him?
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2008 at 08:43
Originally posted by Kaysaar

Hey Kang - a quick question for you:

I don't know that much about Aleksander Hleb - can you enlighten me a little about him?

Yessir! 
First with wiki.
(correct as of 20 April 2008)[17]
Club Season League Cup Europe Total
Apps Goals Assists Apps Goals Assists Apps Goals Assists Apps Goals Assists
VfB Stuttgart 2000–01 6 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 9 0 0
2001–02 32 2 6 3 0 0 - - - 35 2 6
2002–03 31 4 7 2 1 0 8 3 3 41 8 10
2003–04 31 5 7 3 0 0 8 0 1 42 5 8
2004–05 34 2 14 3 2 0 8 0 3 45 4 17
Total 172 19 41
Arsenal 2005–06 25 3 0 5 0 - 10 0 - 40 3 -
2006–07 33 2 5 5 0 1 10 1 0 48 3 6
2007–08 31 2 6 3 0 0 8 3 2 42 5 8
Total 130 11 14

VfB Stuttgart

Spotted by scouts he and his younger brother, Vyacheslav Hleb, were signed in 2000 by German Bundesliga side VfB Stuttgart for approximately 150,000.[3] He made his Bundesliga debut on 5 September 2000 in an away match at 1. FC Kaiserslautern, coming on as a substitute for the last 20 minutes.[4] Despite only making six league appearances in his first season with Stuttgart, Hleb became a regular at the club in his second season there and went on to establish himself as one of the most important players of the side.

In 2002–03 Stuttgart finished runners-up in the Bundesliga and enjoyed a Champions League victory over Manchester United and Hleb had become established as the team's playmaker. However, after team manager Felix Magath left to join Bayern Munich in the summer of 2004, Stuttgart were not as successful under new coach Matthias Sammer, having finished the 2004-05 season in fifth place.[5] Nevertheless, Hleb was on top of the assist chart in his last season in the Bundesliga.  

Arsenal

2005-06

.....Hleb sustained a knee injury while on international duty with Belarus and was out for several months. Finding it hard to settle he was linked with a move back to Germany.[7] He returned to the Arsenal first team squad in December, playing 60 minutes in Arsenal's final UEFA Champions League group stage match against Ajax Amsterdam on December 7. By January 2006 Hleb had established himself as a first choice player, and scored his first official goal for Arsenal in a 7–0 win over Middlesbrough. Hleb did not start in the next few Premiership games, but it was in the Champions League where he showed all the potential he had.....
.......A month later, on May 17, Alexander Hleb became the first ever Belarusian footballer to play in the Champions League Final.......

2006-07

.....Now a regular starter, Hleb was quickly becoming an impact player in Arsène Wenger's side, and gaining respect from the fans......
.....Hleb scored again against Reading F.C. after playing a three pass combination with Tomáš Rosický......

2007-08

......Hleb was moved from the right wing and played behind Robin Van Persie in the "hole". This proved a success with Hleb looking more comfortable in this position, and more of a threat to the opposition.......
......When strikers Emmanuel Adebayor and Eduardo da Silva recovered from injuries, however, Arsène Wenger went back to his favourite 4-4-2 formation and Hleb returned playing on flanks. But even there, he remained one of Arsenal's most noticeable playmakers, highlighting games with his ball control and passing......
.......On October 23 in the Champions League group 7–0 win over Slavia Prague, Alex played his best game so far in the season. He impacted five of six goals during which he was on the pitch: he scored two goals (first, ricocheted from the defender into the net and was later considered an own goal), assisted Cesc Fàbregas and Theo Walcott in scoring two, and started another attack that resulted in one more goal, before being substituted for Tomáš Rosický on 63 minute with the score at 6–0. He later became the man of the match, receiving the highest grade on Sky Sports fan poll at 9.5 for the game. Next match, Hleb once more played an important role for Arsenal as he assisted Fàbregas again in scoring the late equalizer in the important league match against Liverpool away at Anfield. Two league games later,.......
.......Starting in late November, he had a slight dip in form, after an injury that kept him out for two or three weeks. After his injury and a few unimpressive performances he hit form again, with constantly improving performances, and seemed to have returned to top form with a great display against AC Milan in the first leg of their Champions League tie.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, first time I noticed Hleb was when he was in Stuttgart.  I think Temujin and Ulirich might be able to tell you more about him in Stuttgart days.  I do remember when he was there he and Lahm were the two most impressive young players in that team if not entire world.   14 assists in Budesliga in his last season with Stuttgart!  That says it all.  

But with Arsenal he suffered few injuries and moved around a lot in field positions.  That shows his versatility but makes him inconsistent at times also.   Arsenal's midfield play was their strength anchored on Fabregas.  Hleb and Flamini were great defensive helpers and attacking linking partners to Fabregas.  It's actually lot similar to Deco, Xavi, Iniesta relationship.  They all are so versatile they are interchangeable.   That's why I see Fabregas being in Barca too.  Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas?  Come on, I think those guys have proved that they can work together this summer.  

But Helb works.  He can finish, he can pass, he can dribble, he can defend, creative yet responsible , what else can you ask for?  Hleb can play right behind Messi to holding midfield.  He can even help out wingback on defense too.   

Let me see if I can find that last year's Champs League win against Slavia Prague....

Arsenal V Slavia Prague 7-0

yeah, that's what am talking about.  Sure it wan't a big time opponent and the game wasn't comprtitive at all but still Hleb can dominate a game like that.    

Let me see if I can find a good compilation clip

Hleb - The Dribbling Master

He's not the fastest guy necessarily but he's quick enough, physical enough, creative enough.  He's got that Messi like forward momentum to fend off defenders or plow through the gap.  I'm not saying he's Deco.  He struggled in the second half year with injuries not only to himself but also van Persie and Rosicky as the linking partners.  Arsenal was the best team in entire Europe in the first half of the last season.  Only Fabregas was more important player for the team other than Hleb during that time.  He's no Deco but as promising as ever for an replacement.

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 12-Jul-2008 at 08:46
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2008 at 22:37
Thanks Kang -

Here's probably the biggest piece of transfer news thus far:

According to AC Milan's website, they have reached an agreement with FC Barcelona over the sale of Ronaldinho

http://www.acmilan.com/index.aspx
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 22:05
So Dinho finally went.  I think he would have been happy with either Chelsea or AC Milan.  Man City, though I like that team it would have heen more riskier choice for him.  I mean he could improve Man City greatly by joining them but where will that get you?  Another UEFA Cup spot? 

Well, I wish him the best wherever he goes.

Moving onto Budesliga

Date Player From To Status Type
7/30/2008 Amaury Bischoff Werder Bremen Arsenal Confirmed Full Ownership
7/30/2008 F. Quiroga VfL Wolfsburg River Plate Confirmed Free Transfer
7/30/2008 Zlatan Bajramovic Schalke 04 Eintracht Frankfurt Confirmed Free Transfer
7/21/2008 K. Boulahrouz Chelsea VfB Stuttgart Confirmed Full Ownership
7/18/2008 Cícero Fluminense FC Hertha BSC Confirmed Full Ownership
7/11/2008 Renato Augusto Flamengo Bayer Leverkusen Confirmed Full Ownership
7/8/2008 I. Klasnic Werder Bremen FC Nantes Atlantique Confirmed Full Ownership
7/7/2008 S. Larsen Schalke 04 Toulouse FC Confirmed Full Ownership
7/3/2008 Orlando Engelaar Twente Schalke 04 Confirmed Full Ownership
7/1/2008 Tim Borowski Werder Bremen Bayern Confirmed Full Ownership
7/1/2008 Andreas Beck VfB Stuttgart TSG Hoffenheim Confirmed Full Ownership
6/28/2008 Ze Antonio Mönchengladbach Racing Confirmed Free Transfer
6/14/2008 Antonio Da Silva VfB Stuttgart Karlsruher SC Confirmed Full Ownership
6/5/2008 Ümit Korkmaz Rapid Wien Eintracht Frankfurt Confirmed Full Ownership
6/3/2008 Jens Lehmann Arsenal VfB Stuttgart Confirmed Free Transfer
6/1/2008 Emil Gabriel Jula a Cottbus Confirmed Full Ownership
5/28/2008 A. Barzagli Palermo VfL Wolfsburg Confirmed Full Ownership
5/21/2008 Carlos Alberto Werder Bremen Botafogo Confirmed Loan
5/20/2008 Philipp Degen Borussia Dortmund Liverpool Confirmed Free Transfer

Let's see, Lehmann, da Silva and Borowski transfer has been talked about. 

Carlos Alberto, isn't that the same Carlos Alberto who won the Champs League with Porto, with Deco and Mourinho?  Too bad he never really worked out for Bremen.  I thought he would go well with Diego, but he didn't even get to see much playing time.

Bremen also lost Klasnic.  I like all, Sanogo, Hugo Almeida and Rosenberg but all for of them have a place in the team as part of the forward platoon since none of them are really dominating.  Even if I had to cut one Klasnic wouldn't have been my choice.  Along with losing Borowski to Bayern, I would assume a weaker Bremen next season but still there are plenty of talent s in that squad.

Barzagli to Wolfsburg.  I don't know much about him but I remember him in the Euro.  You can't really go wrong for a midlevel Bundesliga team to snatch up Italian national defender though.

Boulahrouz to Stuttgart.  A Dutch national team defender.  He didn't get to see much action in Chelsea or Sevilla but he did get to see some action in Euro, and also he can play all the positions in the backline. Center, Right or Leftback.  Even if he can't crack into Stuttgart's starting lineup it's always nice to have a versatile defender coming off the bench.

Engelaar to Schalke.  I like this pick up a lot.  Engelaar was one of the better defensive midfielders in Euro 08.  I think Schalke will be better next season espacially in Champs League building on last season's success.  As far as Bunesliga though, are they gonna be good enough to take out Bayern?  I don't think so. 

I don't think Goal.com has all the Budesliga transfers listed.  I didn't see Mario Gomez to Bayern.  I don't like that idea anyway unless Bayern is dropping one of their attackers.  For German national team sake they should build upon the success Podolski and Schweinsteiger had in Euro 08.  I think they earned the rights to take bigger part in Bayern than they have beeen in past couple of seasons.

Stuttgart.  I think they will be fine with or without Mario.  I like Hitsleperger, Hilbert and Magnin.   The key factor would be keeping Basturk healthy.  As long as he stays healthy Stuttgart should be right up there with Schalke, Bremen to challenge Bayern.

I don't know what's going on with Hamburg though.  As far as i know van der Vaart is there, they should be alright.     

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 23:19
Pity the Ronaldo transfer saga got held up, I really thought the Pig Mutilator could have come in his place. He seems to be looking to GTF out of the Bundesliga.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 08:41
Originally posted by Sparten

Pity the Ronaldo transfer saga got held up, I really thought the Pig Mutilator could have come in his place. He seems to be looking to GTF out of the Bundesliga.

I got to see Bayern vs Urawa Reds preseason friendly when I came home tonight.

They started;                  

Klose
              Podolski                 Schweinsteiger

Ze Roberto               Altintop
                               van Bommel

Lahm                                             Lell
                       Lucio       van Buytten

Rensing

I know it's just a friendly against a J league team.    I kinda like the lineup acutally.   I still think they should go with either Klose or Toni but not together, though that was very successful last season.   If I can get enough out of Podolski and Schweinsteiger I would dump Toni for a Deco type organizer or a Lucio replacement.  I'm not hating on Toni, but I think Klose deserves that job as the best German center foward for last 7-8 years.  And this should also give more time and space for Schweinsteiger.    Poldolski is one of the hottest player going into the new season, I think his spot is secure.  Can they go with Klose, Podolski, Ribery, Schweinsteiger?  Yes, I think so.  In that case Schweinsteiger's gonna have to defend more like Deco which I've seen him do in the Euro 08.    To have those three Germans up front along with Lahm developing together in same club can only help the German national team.  But Bayern is not a German national team training squad, they must do whatever is best for the club.  So I wouldn't even talk about dropping Toni to create more space for Poldoski and Schweinsteiger unless I think it would work better.  But how much did Toni score last season? 24? 27? That's hard to say good bye to.

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 01-Aug-2008 at 08:44
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 22:14

Wow the new season is right around the corner.  I still haven't got around to EPL and Serie A yet!  Ahh, Euro 08 and Olympics, it was a busy summer.  Hopefully I still get around to those two leagues, especially EPL for Act of Oblivion!

Here is a little Goal.com article for their top 20 transfers of this summer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=814725

Top Twenty Transfers Of The Summer (Aug 11)

Every Monday until the first week of September, Goal.com will list of the top twenty transfers of the summer. In this edition, we considered all moves officially concluded by midnight on Sunday, August 10, 2008.

The factors taken into account are

(a) form over the last 12 months,
(b) potential, and
(c) transfer fee involved.

The extension from ten to twenty was compiled by taking into account previous editions.

20. Mirko Vucinic (Roma/Lecce to Roma)
Last Week: 19

The Giallorossi have finally secured full ownership of the Montenegrin, purchasing the second half of his contract from Lecce for a meaty 12 million euros. Is he worth 24 million today? Probably not. However, he has improved massively over the last 12 months, and continues to get better by the week.

19. Martín Cáceres (Villarreal to Barcelona)
Last Week: 18

The 20-year-old Uruguayan is regarded as one of the best young defenders in La Liga, and Barcelona wasted little time snapping him up from Villarreal. A touch overpriced at around 16 million euros, but a great signing for the future nonetheless, particularly with Carles Puyol beginning to show his age.

18. Tomáš Ujfaluši (Fiorentina to Atlético Madrid)
Last Week: 17

At long last, Atleti have made a good defensive signing - for free, even. They were in denial last summer when they failed to take concrete steps, but have landed just the man to lead their defence upon their return to the Champions League after over a decade. That he comes for free makes it even better.

17. Giovani Dos Santos (Barcelona to Tottenham)
Last week: 16

A rather opportunistic and clever signing by Juande Ramos, but he is a gamble nonetheless. There is a good reason Barcelona got rid of him on the cheap. His attitude had been a subject of concern for eighteen months, which saw young Bojan Krkić leap ahead of him in the pecking order. His impact on the dressing room had not made positive news either. Spurs fans must hope that was the exception and not the rule.

16. Hatem Ben Arfa (Lyon to Marseille)
Last Week: 15

Marseille have lost Samir Nasri to Arsenal, but have managed to land the perfect replacement in the man Arsene Wenger had his sights on to start with. What is more, they can keep him for a year or two, and make a cool 8-10 million profit.

15. Alberto Gilardino
(Milan to Fiorentina)
Last Week: 14

On the face of it, it looks like the Viola have signed an unhappy, out-of-form striker. However, that was just what Adrian Mutu's move from Juventus looked like not so long ago. The fans will help him forget Milan in a hurry, and rediscover the striker that wowed Calcio when at Parma. The partnership with Mutu can be backed to produce some special moments in the Champions League.

14. Seydou Keita (Sevilla to Barcelona)
Last Week: 14

At the time of his arrival he was the best signing Barcelona had made this season, particularly in light of the way their soft underbelly was exposed on the road last year. With him partnering Yaya Touré in the middle, it will ensure that the likes of Andres Iniesta and Lionel Messi do not get bullied, and also get the full license to thrill. 15 million euros worth their value.

13. Ezequiel Garay (Racing Santander to Real Madrid)
Last Week: 12

What a capture! Barcelona seemed to have him in the bag, but hesitated a little too much as they waited for Frank Rijkaard to leave and a new coach to take charge. Madrid managed to snatch Sergio Ramos a few years ago, and what a signing that has turned out to be. This one may be no different.

12. Deco (Barcelona to Chelsea)
Last Week: 11

On the wrong side of 30, a first look suggests that he is past it, but nothing could be further from the truth. There is a fire that burns in him as we saw during Euro 2008, and he has a lot more to give to football. He is not what Frank Lampard is, as he will never score as many goals. But then, he is also everything Lampard is not. Superb creativity, a great eye for the game, and an ability to run the show that has seen him win the Champions League with two different clubs. Finally, Chelsea have a player who can orchestrate the pleasing football their owner wants. With Ballack and Essien set to play around him, it will be an ominous midfield.

11. Amantino Mancini (Roma to Inter)
Last Week: 10

Jose Mourinho does not quite promote exciting football, but he does like a fast, aggressive winger forward at least on one flank. That is just what he has found in Mancini, who will be handed the license to thrill just as Arjen Robben was during the glory years at Chelsea. Tends to blow hot and cold, though, as Roma found out last season. Lack of consistency will not go down well with the 'Special One', so he does need to focus a lot more.

10. David Bentley (Blackburn to Tottenham)
Last Week: 9

A great way for Spurs to show their ambition - by winning the race for the talented Blackburn winger, and in the process signing a former Arsenal youngster. Given what Juande Ramos did with Jesus Navas - a very similar player - this one has success written all over it. He has the potential form a formidable attacking midfield along with Giovani Dos Santos and Luka Modric.

9. Robbie Keane (Tottenham to Liverpool)
Last Week: 8

Make no mistake, I rate him very highly. That said, the Reds paid a few millions too many. He will still score the 15-20 goals needed to complement Fernando Torres' 25-30, so Rafa might just have splashed the extra cash with good reason. Their draw happy start to the season destroyed their title challenge last time around, so goals is what they need, and that is what they will get.

8. Amauri (Palermo to Juventus)
Last Week: 7

The Brazilian-Italian striker made it to number three after earning himself a long overdue move to a top four club, but now slips down to seven. He has already shown his potential with Palermo, and the prospect of him getting some top quality service from the Juve midfield is simply mouth-watering. Champions League, here he comes.

7. Daniel Alves (Sevilla to Barcelona)
Last Week: 6

Chelsea, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Manchester United – these are just some of the clubs that have queued up for him over the last 18 months or so. However, it is Barcelona who land him after some difficult negotiations with Sevilla. Perhaps a touch overpriced at 30 million euros (he would have been number one on this list at 20m), but then again, he is the best attacking full-back this world has seen since Roberto Carlos.

6. Samir Nasri (Marseille to Arsenal)
Last Week: 5

The highly rated French international is the latest to join the clan of young Gunners. Many view him as a replacement for Aliaksandr Hleb, while others go a step further and call him the next Zidane. He has had some problems with injuries, but let's hope those were exceptions as opposed to the rule. The prodigous playmaker is at number five.

5. Ronaldinho (Barcelona to Milan)
Last Week: 4

A gamble? Yes. But given the chance, would you sign one of the all time greats of football for a third of his market price last summer? You bet you would. At 28, he is far from over. Some diet planning and some tough training, and he will give at least three or four good years to the Rossoneri. A gamble nonetheless, or he would definitely have been number one. Number four for the Gaucho.

4. Luka Modric
(Dinamo Zagreb to Tottenham)
Last Week: 3

The hottest young Croatian was snapped up by Spurs despite the interest of clubs such as Barcelona and Chelsea, and what a signing it has already turned out to be. Looks set to become the jewel in Juande Ramos' midfield next season. He remains at the sharp end of our list.

3. Aliaksandr Hleb (Arsenal to Barcelona)
Last Week: 2

A very shrewd buy, and what could very well turn out to be a stroke of genius from Barcelona. With Lionel Messi expected to run the show, what they needed was not a Ronaldinho, but a tireless, no-nosense attacking midfielder to offer support from the other flank - without hogging possession or the limelight. And they got him on the cheap too. A true critics' player in that while fans rave about others, he runs away with the technical plaudits.

2. Mathieu Flamini
(Arsenal to Milan)
Last Week: 1

The underrated Frenchman was one of Arsenal's best players last season, and Milan's signing was nothing less than a coup. That it was a free transfer makes it even better. Has been the smartest transfer this summer for a while, now, but drops down to number two, finally.

1. Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg to Real Madrid)

A lifelong Barcelona fan and one of the best playmakers in the world today, how Madrid managed to sign him for nine million euros I don't know. What is even more baffling is how Hamburg let him go at that price (even if clauses could raise it to 13m). I would probably have put him up here even if he had cost 15 million. A downright steal, and just the kind of person who will add to Bernd Schuster's team without destroying it (get the hint?).

Abhishek Thakur

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 15-Aug-2008 at 22:16
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 15:22
Samir Nasri goes to Arsenal,Football Manager is never wrong,he is a wonderkid.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 23:46
King kang - Your buddy Robinho just got transferred to Manchester City according to goal.com.

Hopefully he will be able to thrive away from Madrid. He should benefit from being a big fish in a smaller pond.

Edited by Kaysaar - 01-Sep-2008 at 23:50
Giordano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Giordano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2008 at 21:23
Damn Milan Baros came to Galatasaray İstanbulDead After Harry Kewell and Fernando Meira transfer last one became a real disappointment for me.
War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it.
Desiderius Erasmus
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2008 at 23:17
why?I think Baros will shine.I hope Kewell wont get injured quickly,he is like Lincoln;when he plays he is a dynamite,but most of the time,he is injured.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12