Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Kings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Kings
    Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 15:50

For those of you who are interested in medieval history, I would like to discuss in this thread the great medieval Kings

Here is my list of great European Kings in the Medieval period (450-1450):

1. Charlemagne
2. William the Conqueror
3. Charles Martel
4. Justinian
5. Basel II

Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 12:49
Having studied him more than the others, I must confess to finding William the Bastard's life and activities especially interesting.

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 00:40

I wonder  why poeple call him william, his real name was Guillaume .

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 11:07

Tradition 

"Readers will have noted the change in spelling of "Guillaume" to "William", and this brings us to so many of the changes made in England to Norman names as the result of the Anglo-Saxon scribes putting into written form the sounds being heard out of Norman mouths.

Not just the King's name was Anglicised but so also were such others as de Brionne, which became "de Bryan"; Mortaine that ultimately became "Martyn"... and de Berthelot that became "de Bartelot"!"

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 12:47
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

We don't call him William - we call him Wilhelm (and "Guillaume" is a Frenchification of Wilhelm anyway...) Royal names have a tendency to be translated - I'll bet my pension Karl XI is called "Charles" in France.

Edited by Styrbiorn
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 15:02
It is... I know,  and that is what for it can be really confusing. As Karl V was called Carlos I in Spain and abroad. He was Duke Guillaume, Duke of Dukedom of Normandy, and after 1066 he was King William the I of England. It is just that way.
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 11:30
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

I'll bet my pension Karl XI is called "Charles" in France.

and almost everywhere else for example CharlesXII instead of Karl XII

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 18:00
What would you like to discuss about them, to kick off the topic, I'll choose Basil II.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 18:14
Basil II who brought about the last greatest achievments of the Byzantine empire through the Macedonian dynasty. Nicknamed the Bulgar slayer because according to legend he plucked out the eyes of 10,000 Bulgarians and when their leader (I forgot his name) saw this terrible sight he died from shock, or cardiovascular failure, or something...

I know you guys already learned this stuff but I am still learning it, and to keep it in my memory I feel like I should recite at least some of it

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 01-May-2007 at 18:15
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 18:20
He didn't pluck them out, he blinded them, by passing a hot piece of metal near the eye, still extreme and painful.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 18:27
Well when I say pluck I also mean blinded. But not to get into technical terms about either plucking or blinding (plucking being to take your fingers and grabbing the person's eyeballs out of their sockets, or blinding which you es bih so elaborated on.) So when I say "plucking" I believe it is universally understood as just "blinding"
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 20:05
We had a really fascinating discussion before on the moral "rightness" of the reign of Basil II, it ended up being a very detailed and long discussion.

But let's get back to the original topic, I would like to compare each of the five kings mentioned to one another to evaluate their abilities as rulers:

Originally posted by Winterhaze13

1. Charlemagne
2. William the Conqueror
3. Charles Martel
4. Justinian
5. Basel II

What I find most interesting about all these rulers is that the grand nation they built would soon after crumble. William the Conqueror is the exception, as well as Martel who is more noted for defeating the Muslims than for building a strong nation.

Charlemagne's empire was broken up and soon fell prey to infighting and the Vikings. Justinian's reconquest so stretched the resources of his empire that in half a century it was brought to the brink of its destruction. Basil's near flawless management was undone, but it took half a century and a succession of very poor rulers.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 01:05
Constantine,

Remember that William's Continental possessions were evetually lost - only England (Britain, British Isles, etc) remained - so even his Empire "crumbled crumbled".
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 01:22
Originally posted by Melisende

Constantine,

Remember that William's Continental possessions were evetually lost - only England (Britain, British Isles, etc) remained - so even his Empire "crumbled crumbled".

Considering that William's continental possessions really only included Normandy at that time, I don't consider that an empire which crumbled. Aquitaine was a later addition, as I'm sure you know. If anything, the state that William built continued to expand vigorously for up to 100 years after his death, taking Aquitaine and consolidating itself westwards and northwards across Britain also - not to mention beginning the invasion of Ireland. The sound administrative and military basis for a comeback in the 14th century was also laid thanks to the Norman conquest.

By contrast, Justinian's, Basil II's and Charlemagne's empires were all disappointing shadows of their former selves barely 50 years after the deaths of their respective rulers.
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 13:59
Are we talking only about kings,like a catholic king or all medieval rulers.If so i would say Richard the Lionheart and Saladin.They both fought for their religion and both had great succeses.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 23:19
Originally posted by Constantine XI

We had a really fascinating discussion before on the moral "rightness" of the reign of Basil II, it ended up being a very detailed and long discussion.

But let's get back to the original topic, I would like to compare each of the five kings mentioned to one another to evaluate their abilities as rulers:

Originally posted by Winterhaze13

1. Charlemagne
2. William the Conqueror
3. Charles Martel
4. Justinian
5. Basel II

What I find most interesting about all these rulers is that the grand nation they built would soon after crumble. William the Conqueror is the exception, as well as Martel who is more noted for defeating the Muslims than for building a strong nation.

Charlemagne's empire was broken up and soon fell prey to infighting and the Vikings. Justinian's reconquest so stretched the resources of his empire that in half a century it was brought to the brink of its destruction. Basil's near flawless management was undone, but it took half a century and a succession of very poor rulers.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the statement you made about Charles Martel. A common misconception is that Charles' only major accomplishment was defeating the Muslims, when in fact, his more important accomplishments included strengthening the Frankish state by consistently defeating, through superior generalship, the host of hostile foreign nations which beset it on all sides, including the "heathen" Saxons. He DID indeed build a Strong, and Secure nation.

Edited by Penelope - 02-May-2007 at 23:27
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 23:44
He did not subdue the Saxons, Charlemagne subdued them through slaughter, and repression. He didn't defeat a real invading Islamic army either. However, he did strengthen the Frankish kingdom as its virtual ruler, and made it possible for his son Pipin to take the title of King.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 00:01
Originally posted by es_bih

He did not subdue the Saxons, Charlemagne subdued them through slaughter, and repression. He didn't defeat a real invading Islamic army either. However, he did strengthen the Frankish kingdom as its virtual ruler, and made it possible for his son Pipin to take the title of King.
Exactly, which is my point. The defeat of the Muslims was not his most important accomplishment.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 00:15
Originally posted by Penelope

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the statement you made about Charles Martel. A common misconception is that Charles' only major accomplishment was defeating the Muslims, when in fact, his more important accomplishments included strengthening the Frankish state by consistently defeating, through superior generalship, the host of hostile foreign nations which beset it on all sides, including the "heathen" Saxons. He DID indeed build a Strong, and Secure nation.

Charles did use his power to begin the centralisation which would ultimately lead to Charlemagne. I am tempted to ponder that the emergency of the invading Muslims may have played a role in accomplishing this. Their invasion destroyed the rival dukedom in Aquitaine and Gascony, while repelling the invasion was Martel's big chance to meld the Franks into one force to face a common enemy.

Even so, I have never considered Charles to be quite in the same league as the other four, the range of his power just wasn't all that grand.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 00:33
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Penelope

Charles did use his power to begin the centralisation which would ultimately lead to Charlemagne. I am tempted to ponder that the emergency of the invading Muslims may have played a role in accomplishing this. Their invasion destroyed the rival dukedom in Aquitaine and Gascony, while repelling the invasion was Martel's big chance to meld the Franks into one force to face a common enemy.

Even so, I have never considered Charles to be quite in the same league as the other four, the range of his power just wasn't all that grand.

Fair enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>