Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEUropean Championship 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: EUropean Championship 2008
    Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 09:29
I'm worried about Spain that would be my 3d favourite team after Poland and Czechs. They have great players especially forward and Casillas in the goal but I don't rate Luiz Aragonez. I think He is an average coach. I doubt Spain will reach semi-final but I will keep my fingers crossed for them.
Considering Portugal a lot will depend form Ronaldo current form and I'm afraid He is tired after long and sucesfull season and He was lately in worse form. Maybe training with Portugal national team helped him. We'll see soon.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 11:40
Originally posted by Majkes

I agree with Temujin about favourites. Defenately Germans and italy are bigger fav then Portugal or France. Netherland I even don't consider as one of the favourites. They have great players but since Van basten, Gulit, rijkard team they suck on tournaments. Euro should be won by 2 I mentioned before or some black horse will appear - I would bet on Croatia or Czech Republic.

Actually Dutch constantly show very good quality games in all tournaments. They are like English -- always show good game but never win.

With all my respect to my Greek and Italian friends I do hope those teams will not pass too far. I mean I am happy for their success in last European and World cups but boy, I really don't want to watch it again! I heard that some dudes find estetic pleasure watching defending teams but I am not that person.
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 18:13

Swiss vs Czech

Half time 0:0

This is a tough game to call.  Czech isn't same without Rosicky and Nedved.  But they still have good defense and great keeper.  And Koller!  But I doubt Baros will have same affect as he did back in Portugal. 

Swiss was the better team in first half given a couple home advantage calls to but nothing major.  Frei walked out limping and crying.  I like Magnin and Sendros in the back.  Sendros vs Koller is a great match up to see.  Magnin is pushing forward in the beginning of the second half.

It's gonna be Swiss' home advantage vs Czech's Cech.  I think Swiss will prevail.  I think Yakin came for Frei.  They need Frei if they are gonna get out the first round.

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 07-Jun-2008 at 18:16
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 18:43
Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

Swiss vs Czech

Half time 0:0

This is a tough game to call.  Czech isn't same without Rosicky and Nedved.  But they still have good defense and great keeper.  And Koller!  But I doubt Baros will have same affect as he did back in Portugal. 

Swiss was the better team in first half given a couple home advantage calls to but nothing major.  Frei walked out limping and crying.  I like Magnin and Sendros in the back.  Sendros vs Koller is a great match up to see.  Magnin is pushing forward in the beginning of the second half.

It's gonna be Swiss' home advantage vs Czech's Cech.  I think Swiss will prevail.  I think Yakin came for Frei.  They need Frei if they are gonna get out the first round.

Agre with You 100%. It's not the same team without Baros, Rosicky, Nedved. Though Swiss are better more experienced Czech managed to score preciesly Sverkosz - Czech league top scorer. And the game finally begun cause Swiss are pressing.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 18:44
Originally posted by Anton

I agree with Temujin about favourites. Defenately Germans and italy are bigger fav then Portugal or France. Netherland I even don't consider as one of the favourites. They have great players but since Van basten, Gulit, rijkard team they suck on tournaments. Euro should be won by 2 I mentioned before or some black horse will appear - I would bet on Croatia or Czech Republic.

Actually Dutch constantly show very good quality games in all tournaments. They are like English -- always show good game but never win.

With all my respect to my Greek and Italian friends I do hope those teams will not pass too far. I mean I am happy for their success in last European and World cups but boy, I really don't want to watch it again! I heard that some dudes find estetic pleasure watching defending teams but I am not that person.

Anton, I'm not a fan of Italy or Greece way of playing either but respect for their defence skills and discipline.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 18:52
Bravo TemujinClap. Seems You are the only one who guessed the result.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 18:57
Woo Czech goes up 1:0.  20 mins left for Swiss to score, without Frei, and Czech defense tightening up even more in front of Cech.  It will be hard.

Swiss is a better counter attack team. With Czech's defense sitting back Swiss' offense looks so predictable.

Wooo, amazing sequence!  Swiss got shanked out of a apparent handball by Ujfalusi, so much for the home advantage!  And still took a good shot off, Cech made an amazing save, but rebounded back to Swiss, another great shot rings the crossbar.  Swiss could have scored three times in that sequence but walks away with nothing.  Life is rough.

Magnin's whipping some dangerous balls into the box, but Czech's hanging on to it by crowding them.

Game over.  So many things went against Swiss.  They lose their best striker.  They didn't get awarded with the penalty, They hit the cross bar.  King Kang loses his first game.  Oh well...... 
galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 19:02
Switzerland follow Portugal footstep by losing the opening games as host nation .
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 19:21
. Really disappointing play from the Czech side, they were lucky to get away with that.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 20:52
Half time 0:0 for Portugal vs Turkey.

Deco played rather well for Portugal.  C.Ronaldo could have scored least one but Protugal was rather conservative no suppoert for him.  Not happy with Nuno Gomez but he didn't see much of the ball.  I expect to see Hugo Almeida for Gomez, or Quaresma or Nani for either Gomez or Simao anf move C. Ronaldo to centerforward.  I would go with Quaresma.

Turkey defended rather well.   I thought Tuncay retired from the national team.  Love Tuncay.  I wanna see some firework in the second half but I wouldn't be surprised if both team stays conservative.  In that case watch out for Nihat to steal the game.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 21:14
Pepe scores.  He is very capable of doing that.  I guess they didn't need Almeida, Quaresma, Nani after all.  Will Portugal pack it up and shot it down now?  Likely.  I still have hope for Nihat and Turkey.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 21:49
Portugal's still attacking.  I'm surprised.

Nihat's well covered but he needs just one break out.  Maybe they needs to use him as decoy as Altintop, Kazim or Tuncay should step up.

The game is playing out to Portugal's strength, sit back and counter with Ronaldo or Simao. 

Nani came in for Gomez.   Nani can stay in the midfield and still effective for his speed and canon long shots.

Altintop got subbed out.  Bad move.

Simao got out also.  Portugal's packing it in now for sure.  Perhaps Turkey can look for a set piece.

Deco got subbed out for Stuttgart's Meira.  Job well done Deco!

Another goal from Meireles this time.  Great counter attack!  Scolari looks like a genius again for subbing him in.

Game over 2:0 Portugal!

If they can defend like this, they have enough firepower to take them far.  I'm not giving up on Swiss or Turkey yet.  If Portugal beats Czech then, you need one of those two to beat Czech.  It doesn't look good for Swiss though, especially if Frei can't play.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 22:40
yeah too bad for Frei, what a bad luck for him and the Swiss team in general. Czechs looked rather bad and the Portuguese went from good to better, look out for them meeting Germany in the quarter or semi-finals, will be one great match for sure. also lookign forward for mondays matches, tomorrow will only be entertainign for Germany-Poland.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 22:48

Anton, I'm not a fan of Italy or Greece way of playing either but respect for their defence skills and discipline.

Yeah, respect is a right word. Smile I have also respect for Italian players falling in penalty areas.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 22:52
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

. Really disappointing play from the Czech side, they were lucky to get away with that.

Agree! I expected more from them. But one should take into account that they played against Swiss team which had all the support of the staduim. Also this story with Frie was weird. He was most active Swiss player wasn't he?
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 07:50
A good Portuguese team defeated a week turkish one. Portugal could be one of the forthcoming teams, but he we have to wait.

The opening match was very dissapointing. Both teams can not play a better football. The Swiss were very limited by playing the ball to the zones where it will be dangerous for the opponents.
The Czechs were also only a shadow of their former days. No constructive play, poor...

Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 18:41
Austria vs Croatia

Is this Swiss vs Czech repeat?  
I had hard time focusing on the game.  Austria's coming back now though making it little interesting.  Croatia is disappointing like Czech, but maybe 1:0 againt the host is good enough for them.  I was hoping for a good Croatian team but now I'm cheering for Austria.

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 08-Jun-2008 at 20:33
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 20:46

1:0 at half time, Germany vs Poland.

Podolski played well for Germany and scored for them.   Klose should take the credit for that goal though.   Mario Gomez had couple of good chances that he should have converted least one. 

Germany going with 5 defenders?  Either that or Fritz is playing the defensive mid.  Either way I like it, better way to utilize Jansen and Lahm's attaking ability. 

Germany should have went up 2:0 or 3:0 but Poland is looking better astime went on.  Don't let them hang around when you can put them away early, guys.  I expexct Germany to score another goal or two in first 15 min of the second half.  If not, can Poland steal the game later?  Not likely but possible.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 21:12
Should've been one or two more goals more already. Hope they're coming soon.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 21:24
We played utter pish and Podolsky destroyed us. It will be very hard to win with Austria or Croatia playing that way. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>