Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foreign Influences on Europe.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreign Influences on Europe.
    Posted: 11-May-2008 at 16:09
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by pinguin

Chocolate an english word?
Oh Lord! Colonialism has gone too far...Cool
Well, it's not a French word and it's not a German word and it's not an Italian word and it's not an Aztec or Nahuatl word. It is a Spanish word as well as English but my dictionary gives

If it is  Spanish word, you should read what the official spanish dictionary says:

chocolate.

(Etim. disc.; cf. nahua xocoatl, de xoco, amargo, y atl, agua).

1. m. Pasta hecha con cacao y azúcar molidos, a la que generalmente se añade canela o vainilla.

2. m. Bebida que se hace de esta pasta desleída y cocida en agua o en leche.

As you can see, is nahua where xoco means acid and atl is agua.
Even more, the definition speaks about the liquid chocolate and says nothing about chocolate bars.LOL

Weird as it sounds, Iberians are not Eurocentrists, but multiculturally oriented, so they accept other cultural influences.

Rubber and maize first grew in the Americas. No-one denied that: it's just that, since that's where they grew, it was no big deal that they were first discovered there. Where else would they be?
Platinum, hammocks and moccasins I have no trouble accepting as first discovered/invented in the Americas.

Glad to know.

Though the hammock and the moccasin are pretty minor inventions in the cosmic scheme of things.

Yes. Europeans are in the center of the cosmic scheme in your worldview. I have already notice it, so what everybody else did has to be minor.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 16:16

Yes. Europeans are in the center of the cosmic scheme in your worldview. 

Is there another view?... Penguin, please spare us further more with your europhobic mania.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 16:26
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Yes. Europeans are in the center of the cosmic scheme in your worldview. 

Is there another view?... Penguin, please spare us further more with your europhobic mania.

Dear Ulrich, why you stop me right away and you haven't notice the chain of insults I have received in previous posts? The comment was addresed to a particular person and not to all Europeans, as you can see it in there, and in response to a ironic comment.

Thanks.

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 16:48
Originally posted by Pinguin

chocolate.

1. m. Pasta hecha con cacao y azúcar molidos, a la que generalmente se añade canela o vainilla.

Even more, the definition speaks about the liquid chocolate and says nothing about chocolate bars.LOL

Weird as it sounds, Iberians are not Eurocentrists, but multiculturally oriented, so they accept other cultural influences.

If you believe you're the only one understanding Spanish you're wrong.
- xocoatl is just the etymological root, chocolate is a Spanish word.
- the first definition is what you call "chocolate bars". Chocolate bars (why do you call them like that anyway) have all the possible shapes, one thing they have in common is that they are not liquid.

The comment was addresed to a particular person and not to all Europeans
Everytime you mention "Europeans" you speak about all Europeans, that's why so many people feel insulted by your comments. If you didn't realize this by now, wake up!

Edited by Chilbudios - 11-May-2008 at 16:53
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 20:14

Chocolate an english word?
Oh Lord! Colonialism has gone too far...Cool
Well, it's not a French word and it's not a German word and it's not an Italian word and it's not an Aztec or Nahuatl word. It is a Spanish word as well as English but my dictionary gives

If it is  Spanish word, you should read what the official spanish dictionary says:

chocolate.

You mean you don't know what azucar and leche mean in Spanish?

Rubber and maize first grew in the Americas. No-one denied that: it's just that, since that's where they grew, it was no big deal that they were first discovered there. Where else would they be?
Platinum, hammocks and moccasins I have no trouble accepting as first discovered/invented in the Americas.

Glad to know.

Though the hammock and the moccasin are pretty minor inventions in the cosmic scheme of things.

Yes. Europeans are in the center of the cosmic scheme in your worldview. I have already notice it, so what everybody else did has to be minor.

Again, you could try reading what's posted. I didn't say rubber and maize and platinum were minor - just hammocks and moccasins. How is a mocassin a big improvement over a shoe or a boot or a sandal?

Grading them, I guess hammocks are more useful than moccasins.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 21:03
Originally posted by Chilbudios

... Everytime you mention "Europeans" you speak about all Europeans, that's why so many people feel insulted by your comments. If you didn't realize this by now, wake up!

Nope. Like in any continent, there are some ethnocentric caracters going around in Europe.
Not all Europeans are so closed of mind to argue that Chocolate is not American, for instance. Most Europeans aren't eurocentrists, and have a good education and respect other people cultures.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789