Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foreign Influences on Europe.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreign Influences on Europe.
    Posted: 10-May-2008 at 04:50
Originally posted by gcle2003

You overlook the whole point about 'chocolate', which is whether the word can properly be applied to xocotatl. That something is made from cocoa beans is not enough to make it chocolate - in fact even with milk and sugar it could still be cocoa. http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/about_chocolate/history_cadbury/key_events/

I see no problem with accepting that Amerindians invented xocotatl.

Amerindians, Latin Americans and experts know CHOCOLATE was invented by the Ancient Americans. We don't need to ask permission to Europeans to use a name that belongs to the New World, and not to the old continent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 05:03
Originally posted by King John

---
If you are not going to directly address what I say in a post don't quote me. Where in the above quoted post did I claim chocolate for Europe? Did Amerindians use milk and sugar as sweeteners? Nobody is stealing a patent here, your opponents are merely trying to point out that "chocolate" in the modern anglophonic sense is a European innovation. This innovation includes/included the patenting of NEW methods of production and ultimately a different product. What is so wrong with saying this? Don't be foolish in confusing innovation and invention. At times innovation leads to new inventions; understand that inventions can be processes not just products.

King John,

Chocolate is the substance that Mesoamerican drank before Cortes arrived. Even more, that name went directly to Spanish as Chocolate, together with the drink that was drank in Iberia for one century before the rest of Europeans "discovered" it.

That anglo-saxon speaking people calls "chocolate" only to the chocolate bars is irrelevant.

Edited by pinguin - 10-May-2008 at 05:03
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 05:10
Originally posted by omshanti

--- They didn't need to roast them. The idiots in my opinion are the ones who roast the beans and destroy a perfect food called the ''food of the gods'' (Theobroma). 

....  Yes, chocolate was developed by the Amerindians. Let me quote for you what the professional chocolate maker said to me today. ''the natives did it the right way, the way it was supposed to be done.''

That's really interesting. What is pathetic in the modern world is that what people eat in the so called "chocolate-bars" today is not even chocolate, but a mixture of flavoring an artificial substances that try to replace the read food.

Edited by pinguin - 10-May-2008 at 05:11
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 07:07
Originally posted by pinguin

---If you are not going to directly address what I say in a post don't quote me. Where in the above quoted post did I claim chocolate for Europe? Did Amerindians use milk and sugar as sweeteners? Nobody is stealing a patent here, your opponents are merely trying to point out that "chocolate" in the modern anglophonic sense is a European innovation. This innovation includes/included the patenting of NEW methods of production and ultimately a different product. What is so wrong with saying this? Don't be foolish in confusing innovation and invention. At times innovation leads to new inventions; understand that inventions can be processes not just products.

King John,

Chocolate is the substance that Mesoamerican drank before Cortes arrived. Even more, that name went directly to Spanish as Chocolate, together with the drink that was drank in Iberia for one century before the rest of Europeans "discovered" it.

That anglo-saxon speaking people calls "chocolate" only to the chocolate bars is irrelevant.

Pinguin, that's just not true. In the anglophone world chocolate also refers to a drink made from sweetened chocolate. Again, however, you missed the point of my post, please read it before you respond.   Who has claimed that chocolate was "discovered" by Europeans? I have yet to read that, what I have read was that Europeans took what was a Amerindian drink and made something totally different out of it. They did this through inventing new methods of producing it.

If you are not going to directly address what I say in a post don't quote me.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 07:41

... Pinguin, that's just not true. In the anglophone world chocolate also refers to a drink made from sweetened chocolate. Again, however, you missed the point of my post, please read it before you respond.   Who has claimed that chocolate was "discovered" by Europeans? I have yet to read that, what I have read was that Europeans took what was a Amerindian drink and made something totally different out of it. They did this through inventing new methods of producing it.

Well, King John, then I don't understand.

We agree chocolated was a product created by Amerindians (Chocolated is not cacao beans, but a processed product).

I agree that Europeans improved upon it, just like they improved upon the magnetic compass (mounting the chinese compass in a solid support), in printing (applying the wine press to the task and also lead fonts) and in other fields. But that don't convert magnetic compasses or printing into european inventions, rather they are improvements or innovations on chinese technology. The same happened with Chocolate. The European version is an innovation (smart indeed) in a processed food that was discover and invented in the Americas.

Edited by pinguin - 10-May-2008 at 07:43
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 08:23
Originally posted by pinguin

I agree that Europeans improved upon it, just like they improved upon the magnetic compass (mounting the chinese compass in a solid support), in printing (applying the wine press to the task and also lead fonts) and in other fields. But that don't convert magnetic compasses or printing into european inventions, rather they are improvements or innovations on chinese technology. The same happened with Chocolate. The European version is an innovation (smart indeed) in a processed food that was discover and invented in the Americas.

Actually it is highly possible the compass was invented independently in Europe, of many reasons.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 11:40
printing (applying the wine press to the task and also lead fonts) and in other fields. But that don't convert magnetic compasses or printing into european inventions, rather they are improvements or innovations on chinese technology.
And also it is possible that the printing was invented independently in Europe, of many other reasons.

Edited by Chilbudios - 10-May-2008 at 11:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 15:17
Originally posted by Chilbudios

... And also it is possible that the printing was invented independently in Europe, of many other reasons.

Interesting, show your evidence.
In anycase printing has been traced to Korea, and went westwards during the Mongolian expansion. Guttenberg is considered today an innovator (made a better product) rather than an inventor.

Edited by pinguin - 10-May-2008 at 15:17
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 15:28
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

... Actually it is highly possible the compass was invented independently in Europe, of many reasons.

Very unlikely. For instance, Norse invented the sun compass during the Middle Agas because the magnetic needle was unknown in Europe up to the year 1.000 AD.
The history of the magnetic needle in China is documented. You could search for Joseph Needham and his study on China.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 16:00
Originally posted by Pinguin

Interesting, show your evidence.
In anycase printing has been traced to Korea, and went westwards during the Mongolian expansion. Guttenberg is considered today an innovator (made a better product) rather than an inventor.
Usually the ones making the affirmative claims should show the evidence.
The history of printing in Europe and Mediterranean area is quite ancient - Egyptians, Romans used stamps, possibly also on textiles. It is certain however that printing on textiles was known in the medieval Europe, especially for multiplicating complicated designs and ornamentations. Probably from various designs to the rich-adorned capital letters it was a tiny step and the expansion of written culture triggered the one of block-printing. The continuity of this evolution in late medieval Europe culminating with Gutenberg's invention suggests it is an autochtonous development. That Chinese printing influenced this process it is a possibility but at the same time just a possibility which requires a proof (which IIRC does not exist).
Gutenberg is actually an inventor credited with the invention (independent of what Chinese had) of the printing press and movable type printing.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 16:09
Very unlikely. For instance, Norse invented the sun compass during the Middle Agas because the magnetic needle was unknown in Europe up to the year 1.000 AD.
The history of the magnetic needle in China is documented. You could search for Joseph Needham and his study on China.
The presence of magnetic compass is documented in Europe since 12th-13th centuries and there are many arguments it was an independent invention. Joseph Needham's study received its share of replies, for instance one is here:

Edited by Chilbudios - 10-May-2008 at 16:10
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 16:20

The history of printing in Europe and Mediterranean area is quite ancient - Egyptians, Romans used stamps, possibly also on textiles. It is certain however that printing on textiles was known in the medieval Europe, especially for multiplicating complicated designs and ornamentations. Probably from various designs to the rich-adorned capital letters it was a tiny step and the expansion of written culture triggered the one of block-printing. 

That's not proof but especulation. The fact is that during the middle ages books were copied by hand, and in Roman times as well.

The continuity of this evolution in late medieval Europe culminating with Gutenberg's invention suggests it is an autochtonous development.

False, there is no continuity. Romans knew printing of textiles but they never had the idea of printing on papyrus!

That Chinese printing influenced this process it is a possibility but at the same time just a possibility which requires a proof (which IIRC does not exist).

Yes, there are lot of Chinese inventions where the direct link to Europe is unknown. However, people  today hardly believe that gunpowder was invented by Bacon Wink

Gutenberg is actually an inventor credited with the invention (independent of what Chinese had) of the printing press and movable type printing.

Maybe. What's for sure is that Guttenberg invented the methalic type, and also applied the wine press to the task. However, there was printing in the times of Guttenberg already, because the idea has already arrived.

A small point. Printing is possible thanks to paper. You can't print with easy in parchment or papyrus. So, inventing or copying printing was impossible before that material entered Europe through Muslim Spain.

Edited by pinguin - 10-May-2008 at 16:23
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 16:29

..The presence of magnetic compass is documented in Europe since 12th-13th centuries and there are many arguments it was an independent invention. Joseph Needham's study received its share of replies, for instance one is here:

There are always disident voices. However, the mainstream today agrees the magnetic compass was invented in China.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 17:12

That's not proof but especulation. The fact is that during the middle ages books were copied by hand, and in Roman times as well.
There's no proof printing came from China, either. The fact is that in Euroean Middle ages, block printing was used on textiles, printing is not just book-printing.

False, there is no continuity.  Since Romans knew printing of textiles but they never had the idea of printing on papyrus!
 I just showed it in the paragraph above which received no serious counter-argument from you. The second phrase is not related to the former, so maybe you should work a bit on coherence.

Yes, there are lot of Chinese inventions where the direct link to Europe is unknown. However, people  today hardly believe that gunpowder was invented by Bacon
Red herring, we're not talking about gunpowder but about printing. If you can't provide any evidence printing came in Europe from China, then my position remains unchallenged.

A small point. Printing is possible thanks to paper. You can't print with easy in parchment or papyrus. So, inventing or copying printing was impossible before that material entered Europe through Muslim Spain.
You're wrong, printing is possible on textiles and on many other materials. You make a confusion between printing and printing of books, but the latter is only a particular case of the former and in Europe's case was likely a development of the former, too.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 17:20

There are always disident voices. However, the mainstream today agrees the magnetic compass was invented in China.
This is no disidence, but a strong scholarly position. The mainstream today agrees only that first who invented the magnetic compass are the Chinese (because obviously it is an earlier attestation), not that the European compass was borrowed from the Chinese.
And you being someone who, according to your own claims, does not have access to the "Library of the Congress" (sic!), I don't believe you have any clues about "mainstreams".
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 17:52

...There's no proof printing came from China, either. The fact is that in Euroean Middle ages, block printing was used on textiles, printing is not just book-printing.
..... I just showed it in the paragraph above which received no serious counter-argument from you. The second phrase is not related to the former, so maybe you should work a bit on coherence.
Red herring, we're not talking about gunpowder but about printing. If you can't provide any evidence printing came in Europe from China, then my position remains unchallenged.

[QUOTE=Chilbudios]...
---- You're wrong, printing is possible on textiles and on many other materials. You make a confusion between printing and printing of books, but the latter is only a particular case of the former and in Europe's case was likely a development of the former, too.

You are wrong, and very wrong!
Printing on textiles, or better, stamping, was know by Romans. Printing on metals, or coining was known since the 5th century B.C.
But books were copied by hand in Greece, Roman and Middle Ages Europe!
The point is that printing books started in East Asia perhaps one thousand years before that in Europe, and it spread to the western regions from there.

Now, you are trying to convince me something absurd: that just by the time Europe was going to receive that invention, suddenly Europeans invented printing by themselves. LOL
That's not impossible but very unlikely.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 17:55

...This is no disidence, but a strong scholarly position. The mainstream today agrees only that first who invented the magnetic compass are the Chinese (because obviously it is an earlier attestation), not that the European compass was borrowed from the Chinese.  

Oh yes. I forgot that Europeans never borrowed anything...Wink

And you being someone who, according to your own claims, does not have access to the "Library of the Congress" (sic!), I don't believe you have any clues about "mainstreams".

Oh yes. I bet you have 10 million books library at home Confused. I am poor, so I just have a couple of thousand

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 18:00

You are wrong, and very wrong!
Printing on textiles, or better, stamping, was know by Romans. Printing on metals, or coining was known since the 5th century B.C.
I am afraid you don't understand the terms. By textile printing I mean block printing (more exactly wood-block printing), which is a very similar technology (different pigments, different wood shapes, etc.) with what Chinese used to print text.

But books were copied by hand in Greece, Roman and Middle Ages Europe!
The point is that printing books started in East Asia perhaps one thousand years before that in Europe, and it spread to the western regions from there.
I asked you to provide evidence for the spread in Europe, repetitive claims do not qualify.

Now, you are trying to convince me something absurd: that just by the time Europe was going to receive that invention, suddenly Europeans invented printing by themselves. LOL
That's not impossible but very unlikely.
I can't try that because I can't hold such absurd claims. If Europeans invented printing, how could they be "going to receive that invention"? Either you prove your assertions, or we're left with a local development of printing and only with the possibility that Chinese could influence it. But a possibility does not make a fact.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 18:15

Oh yes. I forgot that Europeans never borrowed anything...
You were told repeatedly otherwise by Europeans themselves. I guess your capacity of understanding is rather limited or otherwise I must conclude you spread annoyance on purpose.

Oh yes. I bet you have 10 million books library at home Confused. I am poor, so I just have a couple of thousand
You lost the bet, but anyway this is not what I have said. Try digging for that older claim of yours or alternatively prove the mainstream you asserted.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 18:16

... I am afraid you don't understand the terms. By textile printing I mean block printing (more exactly wood-block printing), which is a very similar technology (different pigments, different wood shapes, etc.) with what Chinese used to print text.

I know what you meant. It is a similar technology indeed, but Europeans simply didn't applied it to printing-on-paper in Ancient times or in most of the Middle Ages!

You are so desesperate to prove that print was invented in your mother civilization, that you don't accept that printing on paper is what matters not in textiles.

Edited by pinguin - 10-May-2008 at 18:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>