Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foreign Influences on Europe.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreign Influences on Europe.
    Posted: 05-May-2008 at 13:39
Originally posted by Al Jassas

As for how trignometry is important for calculus
Pinguin didn't say it was important for calculus, he said you could not develop calculus without it.
, well, if you know maths you will probably know that sin and cos functions are derivates of each other with changing signs.
Yes, but that follows from the calculus: the calculus doesn't follow from the trigonometry. The same would be true of x and sqrt(1-x^2) even if you knew no trigonometry at all.

Of course if you don't have (modern) trigonometry you won't use the names sin and cos but the relationships are algebraic.

Several important trignometric relations can be proven easily through calculus than through normal logical algebraic steps.
Which makes the point that trigonometry can be developed more easily if one already has calculus - exactly the opposite of what pinguin is claiming.
Newton's approach to the theory of calculus was through what he called "method of fluxion" (which is the name of Newton's book explaining his theory of calculus) which essentially used geometry and trignometry to prove his fundamental theory of calculus.
I'd appreciate it if you could indicate where and show me the proof.

[/QUOTE]
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 16:37

Hello Chilbudios

About Trignometry, again, the greek chord method is not the same as the current sin and cosine functions, also the greeks approach to trignometry was through pure geometry, the cosine law you mentioned Euclid proved deals only with geometric quantities not trignometric ones, the essence of trignometry is the use of angles to udentify unknow geometric quantities and after that use them in applications. Greek trignometry was primative in the sense that they only dealt ith right angle triangles only. Muslims not only developed the theory independent of the Greeks, with Indian elements, but also did things that made trignometry what it is today, extenion to all geometric formations, Spherical trignometry and elementry non-Euclidean geometry. also, Unlike the Greeks, the extensively used it in Chartography and other application not related to the original purpose of Greek trignometry which was astronomy. As for the Euler Identity you wrote earlier while this is a part of trignometry it is just the complex form of it, even if they discovered it it will only be 1885 till a real application of complex trignometric identities will be found, in electrical engineering, my own turf. discovering Euler's identity is not the deifning relationship in tignometry. Finally, when I said that trignometry was mainly developed by muslim mathematicians I wan't  lying. 4 of the 6 trignometric functions, the method for calculating tables of those functions, the main identities and some 50-100 different relations in both spherical and plain trignometry were proven by them, and almost all of them are the only ones that are extensively used right now. The exotic relations don't have any application so I didn't count them.

As for Algebra, well again, I reiterate, Greeks developed their algenra based on geometry. After that, the only purpose for Algebra was to solve equations and almost every civilization before them developed the same tools to solve equations, that is how Babylonian calculated pi to be 3.14. Chinese-Islamic contribution to Algebra was something else, symbolism and matricex are at the heart of modern day algebra, the Pascal binomial theorm is imporatant to this day but the triangle lost its important because we have all these computers (the other day I calculated Pi to the 1 millionth decimal place in less than a minute, just imagine how combersome the calculation were in those days just to the 6th or 7th decimal point).  Muslims didn't certainly invent algebra but they gave it its independence as a seperate discipline.

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 17:30
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by pinguin

Not long ago historians believed Francis Bacon had invented gunpowder LOL..
No they didn't. You obviously can't distinguish between Bacons any more than Cyrus can distinguish between Saxons and Picts.

Today is clear that several European inventions and discoveries came from abroad, from places as diverse as India, China, South East Asia and the Muslim World, and they entered Europe at the end of the Middle Ages, changing that continent forever.

The standard historical analysis teach us that Greece was the source of all culture, science and technology, but forgets to tell us that the difference between Classical Greece and the Modern World was filled with knowledge imported from abroad.

These are some of the inventions and contribution imported from the East:

(1) Gunpowder, from China.
(2) Printing, from Korea
(3) Rudder, from China
(4) Magnetic compass. from China
(5) Projection of images, from China
(6) escapement in clocks, from China
(7) Paper, from China
(8) The Pascal triangle, from China
(9) Chess, from India
(10) Zero, from India
(11) Numerals, from India
(12) Algebra, from the Islamic world.
(13) Trigonometry, from the Islamic world.
(14) Vaccination, from Persia.
(15) Optics and perspective, from the Islamic world (Al-hazen)
(16) Wind mild, from Persia
(17) Modern hospitals and medicine schools, from the Islamic world

It would like we could contribute to expand this list. That way we will see how much Europe owes its development to other civilizations.
Most of these things I learned at school which is over 60 years ago now. But you're wrong on a couple. Vaccination comes from China/India (though the word was invented by an Englishman). European windmills are totally different from Persian ones.

It's little short of nutty to say modern hospitals and medical schools come from the Islamic world. The essential factor making a hospital modern is that it is sterile. That didn't come about till the 19th century in Europe.

As for the rest, OK, who's arguing? Not for the first time you show yourself totally ignorant of what Europeans are taught.

[/QUOTE]

I have come across more than on a few occasions of these inaccuracies here in the American school system. Even at the college level. I have had a Mexican-American professor of Spanish studies that basically gave me attitude for the rest of the course when I mentioned a few things on Islamic Spain's advances, which he completely omitted.

To me it is not surprising at all. Medievalists sadly here tend to overlook such things to prove that the Dark ages were not so "dark," and to show the progression of Europe at local levels.

When a Middle East studies professor mentioned some of these things I have observed a lot of students look with unbelief at her.

So to me here in the US that is not surprising at all.

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 17:39

About Trignometry, again, the greek chord method is not the same as the current sin and cosine functions
Neither is the Indian/Islamic sine the same as the our sine function. The Islamic sine was merely a half-chord in a circle of fixed radius, not the ratio we know today. If you look actually in Islamic sine tables you will notice they have values larger than 1, unlike the modern sines.

also the greeks approach to trignometry was through pure geometry, the cosine law you mentioned Euclid proved deals only with geometric quantities not trignometric ones, the essence of trignometry is the use of angles to udentify unknow geometric quantities and after that use them in applications.
So it was the Islamic approach. The Islamic sine is actually the length of a half-chord. And trigonometry was by definition in that era bound to geometry.

Greek trignometry was primative in the sense that they only dealt ith right angle triangles only. Muslims not only developed the theory independent of the Greeks, with Indian elements, but also did things that made trignometry what it is today, extenion to all geometric formations, Spherical trignometry and elementry non-Euclidean geometry.  
 The Greek chord was not bound to the right triangle, but to angles in a circle. The Muslims got their concept from Indians which in turn got it from the Greeks and improved it. They also inspired greatly from the Greek works (Hipparchus, Menelaus, Ptolemy).

As for the Euler Identity you wrote earlier while this is a part of trignometry it is just the complex form of it, even if they discovered it it will only be 1885 till a real application of complex trignometric identities will be found, in electrical engineering, my own turf. discovering Euler's identity is not the deifning relationship in tignometry
The fundamental relation of trigonometry is actually sin^2 + cos^2  = 1 which as you may know, another form of Pythagora's theorem. Euler's formula was just an example of how modern trigonometry may look like and how far is the Islamic trigonometry from it.

Finally, when I said that trignometry was mainly developed by muslim mathematicians I wan't  lying. 4 of the 6 trignometric functions, the method for calculating tables of those functions, the main identities and some 50-100 different relations in both spherical and plain trignometry were proven by them, and almost all of them are the only ones that are extensively used right now. The exotic relations don't have any application so I didn't count them.
The modern European sine is not the Islamic one, though similar. The European cosine was derived from the sine (complementary). The European tangent and secant come from European scholars who noticed the geometry and provided these names. Their co-variants are again their complementaries.
So even if the Islamic scholars knew of them, it doesn't mean the European concepts were developed by them.
The fundamental trigonometrical identity is Pythagora's theorem. The cosines law is a generalization of Pythagora's theorem known to Euclid. Formulas for sines/cosines of sums were given by Ptolemy with chords. I'm not gonna bring modern trigonometry into it because you'll find out that a lot of trigonometrical relations (which involve complex numbers, calculus and other modern concepts) were not known by the Islamic scholars.
So it's left for me to conclude that you exaggerate when you claim they created most of the trigonometry.

As for Algebra, well again, I reiterate, Greeks developed their algenra based on geometry. After that, the only purpose for Algebra was to solve equations and almost every civilization before them developed the same tools to solve equations, that is how Babylonian calculated pi to be 3.14. Chinese-Islamic contribution to Algebra was something else, symbolism and matricex are at the heart of modern day algebra.
You are wrong, Diophantus's Arithmetica is a work on algebra emancipated from the geometry, using abstractions (for instance concepts like arithmoi) and symbols for unknowns, powers, etc.

Edited by Chilbudios - 05-May-2008 at 17:47
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 17:55
Originally posted by glce2003

Most of these things I learned at school which is over 60 years ago now. But you're wrong on a couple. Vaccination comes from China/India (though the word was invented by an Englishman). European windmills are totally different from Persian ones.

It's little short of nutty to say modern hospitals and medical schools come from the Islamic world. The essential factor making a hospital modern is that it is sterile. That didn't come about till the 19th century in Europe.

As for the rest, OK, who's arguing? Not for the first time you show yourself totally ignorant of what Europeans are taught.

Sir, these facts were known to people with a good educational background. But many pronouncements were made that the near-east (to quote the historian Eduard Meyer) "a sea of mysticism and tyranny". He was not alone. Hagel and Mills, famous philiosophers also were of the opinion that "westerners" had special qualities like scientific apptitude and logic and engineering skills that the others lacked. And in the context of their times, IMO it was certainly defendable. It should be noted that these statements were made by people who were not at all experts in this field, and experts did condemn them. Max Weber once famously pointed out (in the context of the Greco-Persian wars) that the Chaladean astronomical method was purely scientific, that in Taxila grammer was invented (or developed). But it was the statements of non-experts like  Hagel, Meyers, Poe and Mills that earned a wider auidience and it is tendancies like these that I think pinguin is referring to.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 17:57
Originally posted by Richard XIII

It's not important who discovered this or that but who made the discoveries available for the usual people, and Europe did it. 

Well, without those initial "actual" discoveries there would be no intermediary between "usual people" and that science either. So it is then imporant, is it not?
You cannot come from B to C without A.

If B is the intermediary as you claim, then A is as important as A makes it possible for B to have something to actually transmit to C.

Wink
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 19:00
Originally posted by Sparten

Originally posted by glce2003

Sir, these facts were known to people with a good educational background.
In other words to people who had been taught. My point referred to what Europeans are/were taught.
 But many pronouncements were made that the near-east (to quote the historian Eduard Meyer) "a sea of mysticism and tyranny". He was not alone. Hagel and Mills, famous philiosophers also were of the opinion that "westerners" had special qualities like scientific apptitude and logic and engineering skills that the others lacked.
Assuming you mean Hegel[1], he was discredited almost as soon as the words were out of his mouth. Yes, of course there have been racists like Hegel, but they aren't typical, and certainly not typical of historians of the 20th century, let alone the 21st.

Assuming you mean John Stewart Mill, I'm unaware of any racial or cultural bias in his writing apart of course from his advocacy of liberal politics, of which he must be the foremost 19th century theorist. He certainly was a major opponent of slavery, and I imagine would certainly have been critical of Eastern, or any other, absolutist states.

I don't think his father's views would have been greatly different, assuming you may have intended the two Mills together. But again this is 150 years ago or so.

[1] The only Hagel I can think of is Senator Chuck, who is a reasonable guy as Republican senators go Smile

And in the context of their times, IMO it was certainly defendable. It should be noted that these statements were made by people who were not at all experts in this field, and experts did condemn them. Max Weber once famously pointed out (in the context of the Greco-Persian wars) that the Chaladean astronomical method was purely scientific, that in Taxila grammer was invented (or developed). But it was the statements of non-experts like  Hagel, Meyers, Poe and Mills that earned a wider auidience and it is tendancies like these that I think pinguin is referring to.
Well, if he's referring to them he's way out of date, which is what I think people are complaining about: he appears to know nothing about how history has been taught for the last century or so in Europe (ignoring of course the Nazis and the Fascists).

I don't know what Poe is doing in there, incidentally: he admitted after writing Tamerlane that he knew nothing about the historical Tamerlane and had 'taken all the liberties of a poet.'

I don't know about Meyer. What period was he talking about?

PS if you're going back to the mid-19th century, why not quote Burton and Fitzgerald?

Edited by gcle2003 - 05-May-2008 at 19:03
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 21:07

Crediting a 'civilisation' with 'inventing' or 'discovering' the natural products that surrounded them in particular is kind of silly.

Amazingly wrong.

It is not enough to have cotton in a region. You need to know how to convert them in textiles. In the same way, it is not enough to have cocao plants in your region, you need to know the process to make chocolate. The same with rubber, quinine, curare or any other "natural" product. Even more, some plants like maize aren't present in nature, but required thousand of years of breeding and modifications to obtain the modern plant.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 21:28
Hello to you all

Sorry Chilbudios but could elaborate on what you said with sources please.

All the writing that I have read and all the tables I have seen prove that the Arabic Jayb (sine, cosine, tan,sec  are literal translations of their Arabic equivalents) and other trignometric functions are exactly the same as the ones we have right now. The difference you may think it is comes from maybe that Arabs used the sexagecimal rather than the decimal system in calculating the quantities. But if you read carefully muslim scientists introduced the wide use of the decimal system (after the chinese) and Al-Kashi used only that system in his calculations. Also, the rest of the quantities that you attribute them to european mathematicians are actually, as Gerolamo Cardano noted of Regiomontanus so called founder of trignometry, the same that the Arabs found yet those scientists, like Regi, plagiarised them.

As for the Islamic approach to the subject, no at first it was pure geometry but later it became quite independent from it, trignometric functions were later defined as functions not just part of geometry which is completely different. Also, as I said, the theory was generalized to other fields while greek trignometry was still stuck inside the circle. As for the fundamental identity of trignometry you mentioned, you failed to mention the other fundamental one, the tangent relation which was a pure invention by muslims, same goes for the secant, cosec and cotan. as for Pythagorian, well, first he didn't find the theory he proved it, it was known since the ancient egyptians, second, that theory is similar but not the same as the first one, third, while the relation is obvious to the modern reader, it was far from obvious when it first came into existance, unit circles and analytical geometry weren't there back then. Proving it is not that simple, for those days not today of course.

As for complex numbers and calculus, well, they weren't there when Diophantes wrote his book so why he is still the inventor of Algebra (again solutions of simple equations based on geometry) and yet those who invented real number based trignometry aren't considered the founders of that discipline despite giving far more to trignometry than what the entire greeks, muslims, chinese and indians gave to Algebra? Again differential relations were known and proven by muslims scientists for trignometric relations and only electrical engineering and some physicists use complex numbers in trignometry, the rest of the world lives as if they didn't exist.

Al-Jassas 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 03:43

.... Also, the rest of the quantities that you attribute them to european mathematicians are actually, as Gerolamo Cardano noted of Regiomontanus so called founder of trignometry, the same that the Arabs found yet those scientists, like Regi, plagiarised them.

Sad as it may sound, it was very common during the renaisence up to the 19th century for Westerners to claim or even patent in theirs name ideas, inventions and discoveries found in countries outside of Europe. Just to name a few cases: Pascal triangle came from China, Jenner vaccine came from Turkey, De la Porta camera obscure was known in China and the Muslim world, Goodyear's vulcanization was known in Mesoamerica long time before him.

To name just a few.

Well, even today some pharmaceutical companies from developed countries register in theirs names the genes of plants cultivated during thousand of years by aboriguines peoples around the world. But that's another matter. 

Edited by pinguin - 06-May-2008 at 04:23
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 04:30
Originally posted by es_bih

I have come across more than on a few occasions of these inaccuracies here in the American school system. Even at the college level. I have had a Mexican-American professor of Spanish studies that basically gave me attitude for the rest of the course when I mentioned a few things on Islamic Spain's advances, which he completely omitted.

That's strange, but I assume that Mexican-American professor was born in the United States rather than in Mexico.

I believe so, because in the Iberian and also Ibero-American culture there is lot of respect with respect to the Islamic Spain, and all the knowledge the Arabs and other Muslims introduced in Spain.

It is a well known secret that Arabic dances, Arab food and Music are usually very welcome in countries with Spanish roots, and in many ways we know we have more that something in common with the people of the Middle East.

By the way, my real "human" name is Omar, and not "pinguin" LOL. And I have that name honouring Persian mathematician and poet Omar Kayyam. But I am as Hispanic as someone could be Wink

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 05:08

That's strange, but I assume that Mexican-American professor was born in the United States rather than in Mexico.

I believe so, because in the Iberian and also Ibero-American culture there is lot of respect with respect to the Islamic Spain, and all the knowledge the Arabs and other Muslims introduced in Spain.

It is a well known secret that Arabic dances, Arab food and Music are usually very welcome in countries with Spanish roots, and in many ways we know we have more that something in common with the people of the Middle East.

By the way, my real "human" name is Omar, and not "pinguin" LOL. And I have that name honouring Persian mathematician and poet Omar Kayyam. But I am as Hispanic as someone could be Wink

No he moved here to the US. But he is very Spaish oriented, he did a lot of study and lived in Spain at the time during his doctorate. I am not sure why. I did not understand underestimating seven hundred years of history.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 10:34

Crediting a 'civilisation' with 'inventing' or 'discovering' the natural products that surrounded them in particular is kind of silly.

Amazingly wrong.

It is not enough to have cotton in a region. You need to know how to convert them in textiles.
Yes. But please explain to me how people who do not have cotton can discover how to make cotton textiles. That's what makes it silly.

Does the fact that Scandinavians never learned to ride camels indicate there is some deficiency among Scandinavians? Is it somehow suprising that the first people to ride camels were people who lived where camels did?

Of course, I guess you will claim that Amerindians  learned to ride horses and camels before anyone else, but the rest of us would prefer to believe they didn't do that until they had the animals to practise on.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 10:38

It is a well known secret
There's no such thing as a well known secret.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 10:49

No he moved here to the US. But he is very Spaish oriented, he did a lot of study and lived in Spain at the time during his doctorate. I am not sure why. I did not understand underestimating seven hundred years of history.

The importance of any historical trend or influence can be over-estimated and it can be under-estimated.

In my experience of Spaniards (actually from Spain) they do tend to underestimate the lasting influence of the Muslim occupation: it's a simple matter of national pride, Spaniards seeing themselves as Aragonese, Castilian, Basque, Catalan or whatever, but nonetheless Europeans resenting being seen as 'Moorish'.

To get some kind of objectivity into the discussion you really have to rely on people who have no reason to be biassed over the issue.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 15:18

The importance of any historical trend or influence can be over-estimated and it can be under-estimated.

In my experience of Spaniards (actually from Spain) they do tend to underestimate the lasting influence of the Muslim occupation: it's a simple matter of national pride, Spaniards seeing themselves as Aragonese, Castilian, Basque, Catalan or whatever, but nonetheless Europeans resenting being seen as 'Moorish'.

To get some kind of objectivity into the discussion you really have to rely on people who have no reason to be biassed over the issue.

I understand that there are sentiments, but there is also academic credibility. A PhD should not be so childish to assume that he can act as the lowest common denominator. I've seen more objectivity here; from what I have seen a lot of students have had some issues with his presentation style.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 15:30

I understand that there are sentiments, but there is also academic credibility. A PhD should not be so childish to assume that he can act as the lowest common denominator. I've seen more objectivity here; from what I have seen a lot of students have had some issues with his presentation style.

Yes, but they probably were largely Americans, weren't they? It's not a racial or ethnic thing, but a matter of what schools you went to and how your family and neighbours felt.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 16:49

All the writing that I have read and all the tables I have seen prove that the Arabic Jayb (sine, cosine, tan,sec  are literal translations of their Arabic equivalents) and other trignometric functions are exactly the same as the ones we have right now. The difference you may think it is comes from maybe that Arabs used the sexagecimal rather than the decimal system in calculating the quantities. But if you read carefully muslim scientists introduced the wide use of the decimal system (after the chinese) and Al-Kashi used only that system in his calculations. Also, the rest of the quantities that you attribute them to european mathematicians are actually, as Gerolamo Cardano noted of Regiomontanus so called founder of trignometry, the same that the Arabs found yet those scientists, like Regi, plagiarised them.
First, let's establish one thing. Regiomontanus' plagiarism of Islamic and Greek scholars is not essentially different that of Islamic scholar's plagiarism of Hindu and Greek scholars. Don't use heavy words to minimize others' contribution because it will only reveal an ugly agenda on your side.

Now on sources, I've searched through several books and I found some excerpts.
Roshdi Rashed, Regis Morelon - Encyclopedia of the History of Arabic Science, 1996, p. 255:
"... certain trigonometrical tables, such as the sine table, calculated for a radius of 60 p. This table is the result of the division by two of the table of chords in the Almagest."
E. S. Kennedy - Islamic Astronomical Tables, 1956, p. 17:
"The Sine (al-jaib) which had replaced the Ptolemaic chord function by the time of composition of the earliest Muslim zijes. The function tabulated in the the zijes (abbreviated as Sin to distinguish it from the ordinary sin) differs from the modern sine function only to the extent that the fundamental circle used in the definition has a radius of sixty (1,0) instead of unity. [...] If a certain sin θ is expressed in sexagesimals the corresponding Sin θ is found by moving the sexagesimal point (;) of the former one place to the right."

My point is only that the Islamic sine was not exactly our modern sine (neither in conception, nor in value - by the way, another difference is that for all angles between 0 and 360, the Islamic sine was positive! - though undoubtely had an amazing accuracy due to the efforts of the scholars of that era). Even if, outside my knowledge, one Islamic scholar may have used the values between 0 and 1 and a modern conception of sine, this didn't get to Europeans, because the "plagiator", Regiomontanus, in his work on triangles, defined sine in Book I as following: "When the arc and its chord are bisected, we call that half-chord the right sine of the arc".

That's why the history of sine in Western mathematics is roughly: chord (Ancient Greeks) - half-chord (Hindu, then Islamic and then European scholars) - modern sine (European scholars).

As for the Islamic approach to the subject, no at first it was pure geometry but later it became quite independent from it, trignometric functions were later defined as functions not just part of geometry which is completely different.
All I've seen and read so far were only geometrical definitions. As I digged to find scholarship to support my position, I ask you to do the same.

as for Pythagorian, well, first he didn't find the theory he proved it, it was known since the ancient egyptians,
A theory means conceptualization, so the theory belongs rightfully to Pythagora (well, actually to Greeks, because it's not certain he was the one to prove it). I mentioned early in the thread the influence of Ancient Middle East Mathematics on Greeks, however that's not "Islamic science".

second, that theory is similar but not the same as the first one, third, while the relation is obvious to the modern reader, it was far from obvious when it first came into existance, unit circles and analytical geometry weren't there back then
Let's have the triangle ABC, with right angle in B. Pythagora's theorem is: AB ^ 2 + BC ^ 2 = AC ^ 2. Dividing left and right by AC ^ 2 (a non-null quantity), we get  ( AB / AC ) ^ 2 + ( BC / AC) ^ 2 = 1, which is the fundamantal trigonometrical identity for sharp angles. It's not about unit circles, nor about analytical geometry Wink

wrote his book so why he is still the inventor of Algebra (again solutions of simple equations based on geometry)
Diophantus' equations were not based on geometry, please bring evidence for this repetitive claim of yours.

only electrical engineering and some physicists use complex numbers in trignometry, the rest of the world lives as if they didn't exist.
I learnt Euler's equation in high school and I'm no electrical engineer nor physicist. Euler's relation is essential in understanding the complex plane and it was used by mathematicians long before engineers did.

Edited by Chilbudios - 06-May-2008 at 17:05
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 17:30

Yes, but they probably were largely Americans, weren't they? It's not a racial or ethnic thing, but a matter of what schools you went to and how your family and neighbours felt.

Yes. I never made it an ethnic thing. It is a major university in the US. It is not surprising to me regardless. High schools here never get that deep in the first place.
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 18:12
Regarding these ''who contributed to whom'', ''who originally invented what'' and ''how these contributions are lowly regarded and taught in society'' kind of issues, I was thinking, there are some characteristics particular to many people who have different backgrounds to the dominant or the majority of the people in a society.
1. they seem to form a big part of their identity with the unusual/foreign/different aspect of their background.
2. they tend to want other people to notice, pay attention and give some kind of importance to that part of their identity.

The combination of these two factors seem to lead these people to notice and be frustrated more than others when something related to their identity is not known to the general public or not taught loudly.

For example, I am half Japanese half Iranian. When I lived in Japan, I used to identify myself more with the Iranian side. I used to notice and get frustrated when attention was not paid to any thing Persian or with a Persian origin. However, from an average Japanese person's point of view for whom Iran is nothing but one country out of so many, whether something comes from Persia or not is such an insignificant issue. This in my opinion, is where the gap between perceptions regarding these issues come from. The gap between perceiving a fact as a mere historical fact just like many others or perceiving it with a passionate importance attached to it resulting in frustration when others don't perceive it with the same importance.

So, in many cases it is possible that the subjectivity or the root of the frustration of ''what is not taught well enough where'' is actually in the person complaining rather than in the blamed society.

Edited by omshanti - 06-May-2008 at 18:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>