Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who was the 1st to discover America?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who was the 1st to discover America?
    Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 19:24
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Also being First-Nations Canadian(for most ppl were called Amerindian)in the history of the Americas....my ancestors  travels here but the Asian continent and some from the European continent(many don't realize that there was also an ice path form Europe as well). The first Europeans we the Northmans and they settled in what we call now "Newfoundland" and they settled there for many reasons(wood, iron and escape for the law).

Did they settled? All that has been found of the Norse in New Foundland was a small post. Something like the bases in the Antartic that some modern nations have. Places were people lived part time. I wouldn't call that a "settlement"

Then soon after Columbus set out to discover a quicker trade route to east Asia and mistakenly found the Caribbean. So over time he rapes and committed genocide to the Caribs.

Please, show evidence that Columbus personally commited rapes. With respect to genocide, you could find quite a bit of Amerindian genetics in the Caribbean and the historical records show admixture, rather than extermination of natives at the North American style, I am afraid. 

The the true first powers of Europe came to claim the Americas...than the four of the mightiest one were  England, France, Holland and Spain.

You forgot Portugal, a lot more important than Holland, I am afraid. Portugal was the largest slave trader and also got Brazil, which is half of South America.

The Spanish controlled most of the Caribbean,

Spaniards controlled more of the Western Hemisphere, from Florida and most of the South West of the United States, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and Half South America. That makes the largest chunk of the Americas, and still today the former Spanish colonies have the largest territories and populations of this side of the world. Spanish is also the language more spoken in the Americas.

the French controlled most of Canada, the English most the the USA

Not really, French controlled Quebec and Louisiana, besides Haiti and a Guyana. The English controlled just a coastal part of Eastern North America and some small spots in the Caribbean, South and Central America.

and Holland had trade ports form New York to the Caribbean.

Small territories, indeed.

1) Yes the Nords settled...but their time was not long.
2) I saw a documentary on the history channel...so blame then if they're wrong.
3)My bad...i forgot bout PortugalEmbarrassed
4)I meant the Caribbean...not the Western Hemisphere
5) Canada/Quebec was of French control. the French were called Canadiens. As for the English..the colonies eventually became the USA.
6) Im glad you agree.

Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 19:52
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

...They made a clear distinction between Greenland and Vinland. They also used Vinland for timber so they could keep the Greenland settlements going.

By the way, Greenland is considered apart of North America by geogrophy. Due to the inhabitants though, they are closer to Europe. So in that regard, the Norse did discover North America for Europe. And the idea of Vinland never disappeared from what I understand, even though the Norse left it.

The Norse discovered Greenland and Newfoundland for Europe. They hardly discovered North America at all. LOL
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 20:00
True...They only discovered Vinland(Newfoundland). Not all of the NA.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 20:04
What? They didn't discover for Europe, they discovered it for new land. It wasn't til the 1200s I believe before Icelanders accepted the rule of Norway. The Earl of Orkney was pretty much in control of the Islands himself, infact, in the Saga's the King asks the Earls to swear an oath to him when they go to ask for his help.
The same applies with Greenland and what was Vinland. Honestly, if your saying that, how much have you read on the Norse?

Erik the Red and his father fled Norway to settle in Iceland, from which he was then Outlawed and heard a rumor of Greenland. So obviously, it was NOT for Europe, but to escape it if anything.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 20:08
If your arguing with me SearchAndDestroy, can u read all of my previous post...I said they came to Newfoundland for resources. 
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 20:11
I wa arguing with Pinguin, I thought I could post in time before someone else did after Pinguin.Tongue
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 20:18
oh...lol srry. 
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 20:55

I don't have anything against Eupeans. I just have tried to take a little bit of gas out of theirs egos inflated like baloons LOL

The only one presenting an ego in this thread is you.

With respect of the "mythical battle", the genocide that Northern Europeans practised agains American Indians, I believe it is just a proof there was nothing mythical in those encounters fueled by greed. I wish Spaniards would return the silver they robbed in the Americas as well, and that French could receive in Paris all the Haitians they brough to the Americas to live like hell in Haiti.

Eh, what genocide?

Yes, Europe has a long debt with the Americas, I am afraid.

I don't own you sh*t, so cut this nonsense.
The descendants of those who raped, stole and conquered the Americas still live in the Americas.
Amen

LOL Funny, first you prove his point that "you continuously downplay the achievements of Europeans and attempt various kinds of revisionism in a mythical battle between 'native Europeans' and 'native Americans'" and then you agree that you proved him right.

What doesn't make sense is to say "Leif Ericsson discovered the Americas" Confused. That's the wild claim. The guy didn't realize he wasn't in Europe Big%20smile.

Leif Eriksson is the first European to have been reasonably proven to have discovered land belonging to the Americas, so obviously he discovered the place. No one discovered all of it. You're bending the meaning of words to diminish people.

And he knew fully well that he wasn't in Europe, or in Greenland.

Did they settled? All that has been found of the Norse in New Foundland was a small post. Something like the bases in the Antartic that some modern nations have. Places were people lived part time. I wouldn't call that a "settlement"

*Sigh* I already proved you wrong on this one in another thread. Not only have you obviously neverstudied the topic at all,  since you throw around one incorrect statemeant after another, but you can't even learn from your mistakes. It was a settlement. They brought their women, their tools, built houses and a smithy. They did eventually leave, because of various reasons, but their intention was clearly that of permanent settlement.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 24-Apr-2008 at 20:56
Chookie View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Chookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 20:57
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

Today my class was in the Library doing job research and while waiting for the bell to ring I was looking at a book about the question stated and it included Columbus, Leif, and some Chinese guy. I'll have to check this book out but can anyone shed light on this subject? plus I've always wondered if the Phonecians couldn't have stumbled on American soil ages ago.

There are persistent rumours of Roman artefacts being found in the Americas. There are also legends which attribute the finding of the Americas to Saint Brendan tha Navigator (an Irish saint who died around 580AD).

The first recorded voyage to the Americas that I know of is that made by Prince Henry Sinclair, the Jarl of Orkney in 1398.

Here are some links which might help:-

http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/historicalfigures/henrysinclair/princehenrytrip.htm

http://www.mystae.com/restricted/streams/masons/glooscap.html

http://www.firstfoot.com/great%20scot/siclair.htm

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 22:02
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

The only one presenting an ego in this thread is you.
[quote]

Look who is talking Confused

Eh, what genocide?

The genocide on the North American Indian by the white man. I said that very clearly in the other post. Read.

I don't own you sh*t, so cut this nonsense.

If you want to talk like bus driver, you could do it in another place. I won't accept insults here.

The descendants of those who raped, stole and conquered the Americas still live in the Americas.

So? What's your point.

Leif Eriksson is the first European to have been reasonably proven to have discovered land belonging to the Americas, so obviously he discovered the place. No one discovered all of it. You're bending the meaning of words to diminish people.

Diminishing Europeans? Do you think that is possible to do? Wink

*Sigh* I already proved you wrong on this one in another thread.

Really? I didn't notice it Confused

[QUOTE=Styrbiorn]
Not only have you obviously neverstudied the topic at all,  since you throw around one incorrect statemeant after another, but you can't even learn from your mistakes. It was a settlement. They brought their women, their tools, built houses and a smithy. They did eventually leave, because of various reasons, but their intention was clearly that of permanent settlement.

They were twenty people living in ten shacks, that get the hell out of the Americas to Greenland at the first throuble LOL....

Please, don't exagerate the merits of Vikings. The Inuits made the same kind of discovery comming from Siberia, 2000 years before the Norse. And from Siberia to Alaska there is about the same distance than between Greenland and Labrador Big%20smile

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 22:04
Originally posted by Pinguin

Don't put words in my mouth. Norse didn't know what they had found. Period.
I'm not, here are two quotes from you which say exactly what I "put in your mouth":
"Leif Ericson didn't discovered the Americas, he though he was somewhere in Greenland!"
"For him, Vinland was nothing more than a new post in an island that followed the logical chain of artic islands called Iceland, Greenland and "Vinland".
Since you refuse to concede (or fail to see what your mistakes are) I consider that your knowledge both in history and geography are under the standards by which your contribution here could mean something.
Plus, the Norse obviously knew they found a new land, since they used a new name for it (and you were told that over and over). It was not Greenland, it was not Thule. It was not a modern name either because they chose to name that place differently.

What doesn't make sense is to say "Leif Ericsson discovered the Americas"
 If you bother to read what many of us say is that his journey brought him to a new land which was recognized as such. In a way he discovered the Americas too, but only a small part of it and under a different name. Columbus did the same actually, since he didn't realize neither the extent of these new lands, nor named them America.

That's the wild claim. The guy didn't realize he wasn't in Europe
Of course not, he sailed for weeks and he thought he ended up on the same mainland he started from. Quit this trolling, please!

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Apr-2008 at 22:05
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 22:04
Originally posted by Chookie

There are persistent rumours of Roman artefacts being found in the Americas. There are also legends which attribute the finding of the Americas to Saint Brendan tha Navigator (an Irish saint who died around 580AD).

There are also persistent rumours than green alliens from Mars or other planets are abducting people in flying sauces.... Confused
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 22:09
There are also persistent rumours than green alliens from Mars or other planets are abducting people in flying sauces....
Or of Amerindians or Inuits reaching Europe before Columbus Tongue

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Apr-2008 at 22:09
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 22:12
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Don't put words in my mouth. Norse didn't know what they had found. Period.
I'm not, here are two quotes from you which say exactly what I "put in your mouth":
"Leif Ericson didn't discovered the Americas, he though he was somewhere in Greenland!"

"For him, Vinland was nothing more than a new post in an island that followed the logical chain of artic islands called Iceland, Greenland and "Vinland".

All I meant is that for Norse they lands they found weren't part of a different world, and they didn't impact in Europe, either.

So, giving to Ericsson the glory of Columbus, or the merit of Vespucci, is nosense.

Since you refuse to concede (or fail to see what your mistakes are) I consider that your knowledge both in history and geography are under the standards by which your contribution here could mean something.

Don't be arrogant, please. Your rethorical tricks won't do the job. You haven't found mistakes on my arguments. Only ideas that you don't like. Sorry for that.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 22:13

There are also persistent rumours than green alliens from Mars or other planets are abducting people in flying sauces....
Or of Amerindians or Inuits reaching Europe before Columbus Tongue

You bet LOLLOL
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 22:29

All I meant is that for Norse they lands they found weren't part of a different world, and they didn't impact in Europe, either.
But how weren't they part of a different world? Have you read any Norse saga (just for the sake of tasting their perception) or you're just making things out to match with your preconceptions?

So, giving to Ericsson the glory of Columbus, or the merit of Vespucci, is nosense.
The glory of Columbus, no, but the merit of Columbus yes, because they did a similar task and the Vikings perhaps in less fortunate conditions.

Don't be arrogant, please. Your rethorical tricks won't do the job. You haven't found mistakes on my arguments. Only ideas that you don't like. Sorry for that.
You're mistaking true knowledge for arrogance and rhetorical tricks. Is not that I don't like Newfoundland to be part of Greenland or to be an arctic island - it is not. Is not that I don't like the Vikings to discover other lands than Greenland, they did and they called those Markland, Vinland. Is not that I don't like Viking archaeological traces in Newfoundland, they were found. Your denial of these cannot mean anything else but what I already said and pointed out - flawed arguments (from ignorance, illwill or both). It is not acceptable for someone to debate the discovery of Americas without accepting these trivial facts related to its geography and history.

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Apr-2008 at 22:32
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 22:38

I don't have anything against Eupeans. I just have tried to take a little bit of gas out of theirs egos inflated like baloons LOLWith respect to the achievements of "Europeans", I wonder which Europeans. The term European as an identity is very recent. Each nation of Europe has contributed to the progress of mankind one way or the other. However, believing Europe is some sort of special place, or that had the monopoly in progress, culture or intelligence, is simply outdated.
With respect of the "mythical battle", the genocide that Northern Europeans practised agains American Indians, I believe it is just a proof there was nothing mythical in those encounters fueled by greed. I wish Spaniards would return the silver they robbed in the Americas as well, and that French could receive in Paris all the Haitians they brough to the Americas to live like hell in Haiti.
If you read history, it is quite obvious that almost every nation on earth ''has a long debt with'' another nation.
We should also not forget the ambiguity and generality of our aggregative concept of what is a nation, which can simply change depending on how an individual perceives it and in what context. For example in the beginning of the paragraph which I quoted from your post, you wrote,

With respect to the achievements of "Europeans", I wonder which Europeans. The term European as an identity is very recent
Here you implied that calling all the different peoples in Europe with a single and generalized term "Europeans'' is a recent development with which you do not agree. Yet, later in your paragraph you generalized all of Europe into one single entity writing,

. This example shows how the concept of nation can be abused or bent to fit an argument.
As an analogy I would like to propose some arguments against this ''debt to pay'' way of thinking in the context of Europe and the Americas.

1. It is known archaeologically that the ancient populations in the Americas up to 8000 years ago possessed a much greater biological/physical diversity than modern native Americans who show a very limited physical variety. This can imply that the modern peoples of the Americas are the descendants of a group who killed off many other types of peoples around 8000 years ago, hence they too have or had a ''debt to pay''.

2. It is known from population genetics that the (modern) native Americans are closely related to and are descendants of the Siberians whom Altaic people are also a part of, therefore it becomes possible to lump together the Altaic peoples, native Americans and Siberians into one ''nation''. From this perspective, and with the consideration of the westward expansion into Europe of many Altaic peoples such as the Huns, Turks, Mongolians...etc since the forth century AD, which consequently might have pushed the ''Europeans'' westward to the Americas (perhaps it was not a coincidence that Columbus went to the Americas in the year 1492 shortly after the fall of Constantinople into the hands of the Ottoman Turks in the year 1453), we can even say that maybe this one big Siberian-related-nation ''had debts to pay'' to the Europeans, which subsequently were paid off by the expansion of the Europeans to the Americas.

My point is that when there are historical atrocities, by concentrating on the actors with the mentality of ''who has debt to pay to whom'' rather than concentrating on the actions themselves with a more universal perspective, one would limit himself/herself to blaming others for responsibilities and being hypocritical while doing nothing to prevent such atrocities in the future.

Edited by omshanti - 24-Apr-2008 at 22:54
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 22:48

... But how weren't they part of a different world? Have you read any Norse saga (just for the sake of tasting their perception) or you're just making things out to match with your preconceptions?

Unfortunatelly I don't read Greenlander. I haven't found the sagas in English either; less in Spanish. I just have access to comments on them many experts have done.

I admire Norse, indeed. I don't like, though, the idea of using them to put Columbus in the shadow.

The glory of Columbus, no, but the merit of Columbus yes, because they did a similar task and the Vikings perhaps in less fortunate conditions.

Similar task? By no means. Perhaps for people living in Newfoundland the achievement is the same. Our friend that lives there would say so, I bet.

But Columbus task was to cross the Ocean Sea to the unknown, during months, in search of India.... Leif Ericsson just found Labrador by casuality, in the same way that Inuits discovered Alaska and North America LOL.

If anything, Perhaps you should compare Eric the Red to Columbus, rather than Ericsson. Because Eric the Red went west in search of new lands, and his discovery (Greenland) was magnificent, because the courage he had. No accidents were involved there.

You're mistaking true knowledge for arrogance and rhetorical tricks. Is not that I don't like Newfoundland to be part of Greenland or to be an arctic island - it is not. Is not that I don't like the Vikings to discover other lands than Greenland, they did and they called those Markland, Vinland. Is not that I don't like Viking archaeological traces in Newfoundland, they were found. Your denial of these cannot mean anything else but what I already said and pointed out - flawed arguments (from ignorance, illwill or both). It is not acceptable for someone to debate the discovery of Americas without accepting these trivial facts related to its geography and history.

I don't deny what Norse did. And I am not saying you are ignorant, either, no matter you speak like a bus driver, sometimes Wink. However, the people that show , to the Europeans, that there was a New World accross the Atlantic were Columbus and the Spaniards, and not Leif Ericsson or the Norse.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 22:55
Originally posted by omshanti

My point is that when there are historical atrocities, by concentrating on the actors with the mentality of ''who has debt to pay to whom'' rather than concentrating on the actions themselves with a more universal perspective, one would limit himself/herself to blaming others for responsibilities and being hypocritical while doing nothing to prevent such atrocities in the future.

The history of Latin America, since  1492, has been a long series  of abusses from outsiders.  First  Iberians, then Europeans in general, then the imperialist United States, and finally  Russians and  Americans that used us to fight theirs Cold War.

Those events are something very deep in the mind of those bastards children of Europeans that are called Latin Americans. We don't forget those events easily, perhaps because they were still going on just twenty years ago. Perhaps with time and more prosperity we will change our minds as well, and will forgot.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 23:25

Unfortunatelly I don't read Greenlander. I haven't found the sagas in English either; less in Spanish. I just have access to comments on them many experts have done.
I've seen some translations in English. Here's one after a quick search:
But it's worrying you make such conclusive statements about what Leif thought he discovered without knowing the text.

I admire Norse, indeed. I don't like, though, the idea of using them to put Columbus in the shadow.
Like I said, "mythical battles" ....

Similar task? By no means. Perhaps for people living in Newfoundland the achievement is the same. Our friend that lives there would say so, I bet.
Both sailed accross the Atlantic, both found some new lands. I was talking about the task, not about the impact on people's minds.

But Columbus task was to cross the Ocean Sea to the unknown, during months, in search of India.... Leif Ericsson just found Labrador by casuality, in the same way that Inuits discovered Alaska and North America LOL.
Norse explorers sailed into unknown, too, and also searching for new lands.

If anything, Perhaps you should compare Eric the Red to Columbus, rather than Ericsson. Because Eric the Red went west in search of new lands, and his discovery (Greenland) was magnificent, because the courage he had. No accidents were involved there.
 You're making a confusion. Leif sailed west following the story of a man. But after he found land, he continued searching for new lands.

I don't deny what Norse did.
Saying they didn't realize they discovered something else than Europe or that Leif thought that the new lands were part of Greenland is a blatant denial and you did not concede on any of these. When I told you to, you called me an arrogant.

And I am not saying you are ignorant, either, no matter you speak like a bus driver, sometimes
You can't say I'm one since you didn't prove I'm one. However, you on the other hand made some very dubious claims.

As for my language, I didn't use any profanity, so your characterisation is misplaced. I take it as final concession for your lack of arguments in this discussion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>