Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Quatre Bras

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Quatre Bras
    Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 20:18
Start thread to carry over Quatre Bras discuss from the Commanders rankings thread.

Edited by deadkenny - 12-Apr-2008 at 21:31
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 21:20

Originally posted by antonioM

He [
Wellington] lost Quatre-Bras, where he let Ney's minuscule army stop him from helping Blucher out at Ligny. Even more embarrassingly, Ney inflicted more casualties on him than the other way around. Blucher, on the hand, let nothing stop him from aiding Wellington days later, making Waterloo a victory for the Allied. He should have let Wellington twist in the wind like Wellington did to him.

Originally posted by Peteratwar

He did not lose at Quatre Bras. For a long time Ney outnumbered him as more regiments came up Wellington went onto the offensive and pushed Ney back.

On the contrary. Blucher deserves all credit for the Allied victory in the 100 Days Campaign. He understood from the beginning that only by uniting the Allied forces could they win. He also knew that the Allied needed to strike fast before the French could mobilize an effective army. Therefore, he was quick in getting his army together and waited for Wellington to do the same.

Wellington didn't. He was late in getting his army together and sent his army in all directions. He initially lied to Blucher that he was coming to aid him. It was only on the initiative of the subordinate Prince of Orange that Wellington realized that he had to link up with Blucher. On the eve of the Battles of Quatre-Bras and Ligny, Wellington decided to to meet Blucher in person to ask him what he should do. Apparently he was still clueless. I would have loved to see what Blucher's reaction was like.  But he was too late to aid Blucher. He let Ney's tiny army stop him from aiding the Prussians at Ligny.

Wellington never lied in his life. He told Blucher that he would come to his assistance PROVIDED he himself was not attacked. Certainly he was well served by The Prince of Orange's staff who deployed at Quatre Bras. There they blocked Ney's force which heavily outnumbered them from going to the aid of Napoleon. Wellington's arrival helped stabilise their defence as did the gradual arrival of reinforcements, which arrived in the nick of time to hold off the outnumbering French. Eventually Wellington's forces grew to outnumber the French and pushed them back by the end of the day. Inso far as each thwarted the plans of the other the battle was more of a draw possibly than a British victory. Blucher's defeat by the French at Ligny then forced the British to fall back intheir turn to Waterloo where Wellington stated to Blucher that he would fight provided Blucher could provide a Corps in assistance.

The idea of Wellington being clueless and asking Blucher what he should do is so riculous that it isn't even worth commenting on. That Blucher recovered well and overruled his own Chief of Staff and agreed to support Wellington speaks highly of his determination. His tactical ability at Ligny however is definitely in question as to his troop deployment .

Originally posted by deadkenny

One might also note that the 'forward defense' not only kept the 'attention' of Ney's original forces (which was by Napoleon's design), but also resulted in Ney calling on d'Erlon's I Corps.  As a result, the bulk of I Corps spent the day marching and countermarching back and forth between Quatre Bras and Ligny and thereby failed to engage in either battle.

Wellington never lied in his life. He told Blucher that he would come to his assistance PROVIDED he himself was not attacked.

No that is not what this says: (this was copied and pasted from theNapoleonSeries):
http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/battles/hundred/c_chapter2.html

Wellington had made an agreement with Blcher well before the 15th that he would concentrate to the southeast of Brussels in case of a French attack. With this concentration to the west-southwest, he actually increases the distance between his army and Blcher's; thus unwittingly assisting napoleon to defeat them in detail.

Luckily for Wellington, two Dutch-Belgian generals correctly assessed the situation. At about 1400 Constant-Rebecque, the Prince of Orange's chief of staff began concentrating Orange's corps around Quatre-Bras. General Perponcher, one of Orange's division commanders decided that it would be much wiser to defend the strategically important crossroads at Quatre-Bras instead of concentrating near Nivelles as ordered by Wellington. With this act of insubordination he saved Wellington's reputation and Blcher's army because it prevented Ney from taking Quatre-Bras and marching on Blcher the next day.

I like how it politely says that Wellington had an "agreement" with Blucher. He more likely lied to Blucher or he is even more incompetent than I thought.

The idea of Wellington being clueless and asking Blucher what he should do is so riculous that it isn't even worth commenting on.

That is exactly what he did. He went to Blucher and asked him in French "Que voulez-vous que je fasse?" I don't have time to find the source of the link. Find it yourself. Just trust my word. I am no novelist.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 21:21

Well, the fact is that Wellington could have positioned his army anywhere north of Quatre Bras.  He could also have positioned his army 'in the open', as Blucher did at Ligny, and gotten pounded much more by the massed French artillery than he did. 

Why do you insist on 'blaming' Wellington for poor generalship, rather than 'crediting' Napoleon with good generalship.  Napoleon successfully advanced more quickly than expected, and managed to gain an advantageous position, true.  Admittedly, Wellington was a little 'slow off the mark'.  However, he was perhaps accustomed to facing 'lesser' French commanders, and Napoleon was perhaps considered 'past his prime' and therefore was (amazingly!) underrated by his opponents.  IMHO, Napoleon started off the campaign strong, but then faded badly.  Wellington on the other hand started off a bit slowly, but came through when it counted.  The fact is that Wellington 'did what he needed to' at Quatre Bras, which was to keep the French from establishing control of the crossroads and heading east with additional forces to hit the Prussians on the flank at Ligny and 'finish them off'.  He also then successfully disengaged his army, so as to be able to position his force avoiding a total separation from the Prussians.  The results speak for themselves.  You have to consider the force Wellington had to work with as well.  Whereas the French were clearly all under Napoleon's command, Wellington had to 'coordinate' with a foreign national force (the Prussians).  Wellington's force itself was a 'composite' force, consisting of a variety of national contingents, with which Wellington did not necessarily have long experience working with. 

The fact is that Wellington 'did what he needed to' at Quatre Bras, which was to keep the French from establishing control of the crossroads and heading east with additional forces to hit the Prussians on the flank at Ligny and 'finish them off'.

No, Wellington was supposed to link up with Blucher so that they combined can finish off Napoleon. Ney was sent to block him from doing that. Napoleon started the battle of Ligny only when he was told and assured that Ney was engaging the other army. Ney achieved his objectives; Wellington did not.  So Ney won and Wellington lost.

Another thing, it was the Prince of Orange who was at Quatre-Bras with his Dutch army, not Wellington. Wellington came late. It is to him that we should give credit that Blucher's army was not annihilated. The Dutch army prevented what would have been a decisive French victory. It should have been a decisive Allied victory at Ligny if Wellington had done his homework.

Another thing, stop referring to Wellington's army as British. About 45% was Prussian with the Dutch and British only sharing 25%.

Originally posted by Challenger2

Enlighten me, which Prussian units were commanded by Wellington to make up this 45%?

Originally posted by Temujin

with Prussian i think he means German...but unlike what he claims, it was not the Dutch Army at Quatre-bras, there were also Brunswick troops and Highlanders.

Edited by deadkenny - 12-Apr-2008 at 21:33
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 21:22

OK AntonioM

Have read your suggested link. Not wholly unbiased I suspect

I repeat Wellington never lied. Other sources pay tribute to his rectitude and to suggest otherwise amounts to defamation

I suggest you reread your suggested source and see why Wellington deployed as he did. He kept on balance until he knew when and where Napoleon was going.

Yes, he was well served by the Dutch General Perponcher and his colleagues. They were however saved from destruction by Ney's much larger force by Ney's dilitariness and by the timely arrival of British reinforcements under Wellington. The first (with Wellington) arriving an hour after Ney's first attack.

You will see from your source (and most others) that it was Ney's job to attack the Prussian's flank not stop Wellington. Wellington clearly frustrated those plans and by the end of the day had recovered all ground lost.

As for Wellington asking Blucher what he should be doing that is so laughable and so out of character that I simply don't believe it. I have never ever heard it alleged.

It is another wrong statement to say that Napoleon's troops were exhausted and badly put together. His artillery and cavalry was superb, His guard were superb and his infantry had one of the highest proportion of veterans in the ranks that he had had for some time.

He outnumbered Wellington and his polyglot army so defending a position (which Wellington had reconnoitred before) was no mean feat. As said without Wellington there they wouldn't have done it.

Wellington had no Prussian troops under his command.

Wellington did not suffer any battle defeats whilst he was in command

I commend to you the thoughts of the French Generals as to his abilities

I commend to you the study of Wellington's offensive battles and campaigns. (See list I provided for starters)

Don't know where you are coming from but you appear to have a remarkably blinkered approach

to Challenger2 and Peteratwar

Enlighten me, which Prussian units were commanded by
Wellington to make up this 45%?

see this:
http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Waterloo_myths_2.html

Read the Order of Battle on e.g. Wikipedia. No Prussian regiments there under Wellington. Plenty of Hanoverians, Brunswickers & KGL. No Prussians that I could see

Truth is after the first hour when the vastly outnumbered Dutch forces were being driven back, Wellington was there in command for the rest of the day until the French were driven back.

Judging by the mistakes the Prince of Orange made both at Quatre Bras and at Waterloo the result would have been disastrous. Until Wellington arrived to take command the Prince of Orange was in fact in command of the whole army much to the horror of the British contingent!!!

The Prince of Orange and his vastly outnumbered Dutch army was able to hold off the French until reinforcements arrived.

The Prince of Orange was basically a poor commander and wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes without Wellington or  the support of his good subordinates.

At Quatres Bras they had been forced back by the first French attack and if the French had not delayed would have been routed. As it was the French hesitated then Wellington arrived with the first of the reinforcements and took command. 

Originally posted by Challenger2

Damn! Peteratwar got there first, but as I've prepared it I may as well post it anyway!

Wink

Assuming of course, Orange had had the military acumen to spot the inherent advantages of the position, and assuming Blucher would have had sufficient faith in Oranges ability as he had in Wellingtons to risk his army to come to his aid [and contrary to the views of his own chief of staff] Even Napoleon thought Wellington had made a mistake giving battle on the ridge of Mont St. Jean. More likely Orange would have still been enjoying the Duchess of Richmonds Ball while Napoleon destroyed Blucher and occupied Brussels.

Was there a Dutch Army at Quatre Bras? Two or three brigades, as I remember it, but Ill stand corrected.

Thats probably because a large chunk of Wellingtons army was composed of unreliable Dutch-Belgian and Hanoverian militia, most of whom were on Napoleons side the previous year. Orange didnt help by sacrificing battalion after battalion to no advantage. I can imagine a collective sigh of relief from his men when he was shot. [Did anyone ever discover if it was a French or Allied bullet? Perhaps Fragging is not an American invention after all? LOL] At the end of the day, the British Army did most of the fighting throughout most the battle

Wellington in his own reports made the Prince of Orange look like a spoiled child with no leadership skills. while in fact the Prince of Orange was no superman, without his quick and good assessment of the situation and use fo his available forces there was nothing Wellington could have take command of at his late arrival...

yeah, just happily ignore that it was Wellington himself who was on this Ball and got completely surprised by Napoleon's invasion of Belgium...

another British made myth. those unreliable Hanvoerian milita never served under Napoleon and it was this unreliable Hanoverian milita which captured general Cambronne. it was the crappy unreliable KGL which held on la Haye Sainte, it was the Nassau troops which held on la Papelotee (two of the three fortified places). it was the unreliable Belgian Carabiniers who charged the French from the battlefield. when will British Waterloo myths finally die out?

3 popular myths of old in one post alone... Clap

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 21:23

Prince of Orange was extremely inexperienced. He may have been in charge but all orders came from his Chief of Staff who was very good. When the Prince did give orders they were disastrous for his own troops.

Wellington himself admitted that Napoleon had stolen a march on him. His response however was fast and decisive.

The Dutch/Belgian forces were those who had fought for Napoleon. The Hanoverians were always under British control as was the KGL. They were known to be some of the finest soldiers in the British Army as Wellington knew. (Where you get the crappy unreliable idea from I do not know)

Cambronne was captured when the battle had been effectively won. Where did the Belgian Carabineers come in ?

No myths. Just people wanting them to be myths.

First, Wellington wasn't as far away as you seem to believe. Ney started the attack late, and Wellington was on scene not long after the initial fighting began. The 'army' at Quatre-Bras was not 'Dutch'. The first units engaged were, but they hardly constituted an 'army' on their own and they were quickly reinforced by other contingents, Brunswickers, various British units and other Germans.

No, you are simply wrong about 45% of Wellington's army being 'Prussian'. They may have been 'German', although 45% still sounds a bit high I would have to research it further and in some detail. However, it is a bit 'inconsistent' of you to criticize my use of the term 'British' as 'imprecise', when you haven't even bothered to accurately differentiate between 'Germans' and 'Prussians', isn't it? In any case, the 'Russian' army wasn't wholly 'Russian', the 'Austrians' weren't all 'Austrian'. I am well aware of the 'mixed' composition of Wellington's force, however, there is nothing wrong with referring to it as the 'British' army. Certainly no more so than with the use of the term 'Russian' or 'Austrian' in the same context.

You call the outcome of Quatre Bras a 'victory' for the French? What exactly did they 'win'? The British tied up Ney's forces for the day, and the fighting was intense enough for Ney to call on d'Erlon's I Corps, the bulk of which was therefore not available at Ligny. Nor were any of Ney's force free to engage at Ligny. There was no possibility of the British 'merging' with the Prussians in that position anyway, due to their divergent lines of communications. So, as I stated before, Wellington accomplished what he needed to at Quatre Bras, which was to prevent Ney from using the road to 'flank' Blucher at Ligny. Since Wellington accomplished his strategic objective for the day, I do not see the basis for 'declaring' Quatre Bras a French victory.

see this link:
http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/BATTLE_OF_QUATRE_BRAS.htm#battleofquatrebras1

They can be called Russian and Austrian, because the majority of these armies were. You can't claim that the majority of Wellington's army was British because the Germans formed 45% of them. They also did most of the fighting along with Bluchers own troops. The British formed only 25-30% of Wellington's army. They are not in the majority so the army can't be called British.

Sigh, STOP REFERRING TO THE ARMY AS BRITISH.

As I have said before countless times, that was not Wellington's objective. I will only repeat this one more time: His objective was to support Blucher. Because of Ney, he failed, so Ney won and he lost. I copied and pasted the relevant sections from the link above

Ney had little to reproach himself for in the day's proceedings. Thrown into his command at the eleventh hour, with only three infantry divisions and small cavalry force, he had by skill and courage succeeded in fulfilling the intent of his original orders: he had prevented Wellington from aiding the Prussians for the whole of the 16th. At Ligny the Prussians stood alone and were crushed.

Originally posted by DSMyers1

Typically, an army is called by the nationality of the top of the staff and more importantly the one who's paying the soldiers.  Would you not call a mercenary army by the name of the country that had hired them?  It's who they're working for that counts, not the nationality of the soldier.  As far as I've seen, that's always the way it is done.  Weren't the British the ones paying the soldiers in Wellington's Army, and it was commanded by an Englishman?  So call it a British army.  It's just semantics anyway.

The French attack commenced at 2pmWellington was present, in command, by 3pm.  The battle continued until about 9pm (this was a few days prior to the longest day of the year).  So Orange was in command for the first hour of a 7 hour long battle.  On that basis I do not see your characterization of Orange having been in command and Wellington being 'late' as particularly accurate.

So now the British are down to as low as 25%? Even the source which you provided earlier gave them 'credit' for 35%. Regarding the composition of the other armies, do you have specific information on this, or are you just assuming? In particular, what percentage of the Austrian army was actually 'Austrian' (I.e. excluding Hungarians, Czechs, Slovaks, Slovenians, Croats, Serbs, Poles, Italians...)? In any case, the Dutch / German contingents were integrated into Wellington's army, so it is still legit to refer to the collective whole as the 'British army'. It was Britain's national contingent, regardless of what it was composed of. In contrast, Blucher's force was a distinct separate contingent from that of Wellington's. So it would not be appropriate to refer to the combined forces as either British or Prussian.

Only if / when you provide a compelling reason for me to do so.

I still don't follow your logic here, beyond simply arguing that the website says the French 'won' so therefore they did. Ney's original force heavily outnumbered the original British force facing them. Ney, plus d'Erlon's I Corps outnumbered the total British force that was present at Quatre Bras by the end of the day. Wellington 'supported' Blucher by engaging a superior force, denying it the use of the lateral road to hit Blucher's forces at Ligny in the flank and preventing those French forces from engaging at Ligny at all. It just seems to me that you've set an impossible objective for the British to have achieved and then claim a French victory on the basis the British having failed to achieve that impossible objective. I have already agreed that in the manouevering up to June 15th, Napoleon had gained an advantageous position between the British and Prussians. Wellington himself admitted that 'Boney' had 'stole a march' on him. On the 16th the onus was on Napoleon to take advantage of that position. A true French victory on June 16th would have consisted of Ney gaining the crossroads and the use of the lateral road early, then sending forces, plus d'Erlons I Corps down the road to take Blucher in the flank. Since Ney did not gain the use of the lateral road during the 16th, failed to have any of his force or the bulk of d'Erlons I Corps engage at Ligny and failed to effectively 'defeat' Wellington I don't see that the French achieved any significant result at Quatre Bras that enhanced their chances in the overall campaign. They no doubt won a victory at Ligny, although not a total victory. However, the outcome at Quatre Bras did not assist in the outcome at Ligny, nor did it impair the ability of the British army to resist in the subsequent phase of the overall campaign.

You left off this part of the summary, from your own source:

American military historian, Colonel John Elting writes: "Had Davout, instead of Ney, commanded Napoleon's left wing, there can be little doubt that Quatre Bras would have been a French victory."  (Elting - "Swords Around a Throne" p 644)

The 'would have been' appears to suggest that perhaps, as it was, the result was not such a clear cut French victory.  Since Ney's original force heavily outnumbered the British army at Quatre Bras, there was practically no prospect for the British defeating Ney and then intervening on the battlefield at Ligny.  As it was the British managed to tie up Ney's force all day, prevented Ney from reinforcing the French at Ligny and forced Ney to call upon d'Erlon's I Corps, which then prevented the bulk of that formation from intervening at Ligny either.  As I mentioned before, there was no possibility of Wellington positioning his entire force at Ligny, because that would then allow the French (Ney in particular) to position themselves on his LoC.  What happened at Ligny was the result of the fight between the Prussians and the French forces there.  With Ney's force, plus d'Erlon's I Corps not engaged at Ligny, there was no way for Wellington to intervene there.  I admit there are plenty of websites that will 'score' Quatre Bras as a 'French victory'.  However, in terms of the analysis of what happened and what impact it had on the subsequent campaign you've not made any argument (to paraphrase you've said 'it was a French victory because this website says so').  Given how heavily outnumbered the British were at the start of Quatre Bras, it was impossible for them to achieve what you've implied they needed to in order to consider the battle a British victory.  In that case, the issue was already decided before the Battle of Quatre Bras was even fought, as a result of the manoeuvering that took place up to the 15th.

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 21:25

Bad semantics.

You are also quick to highlight the foreign elements when they don't do well but they are automatically British when they do well.

The majority of Wellington's army was German so it was a German army with British and Dutch components.

It is Wellington's fault that the Germans/British/Dutch did not outnumber the French. Thanks be to the Prince of Orange who had courage to take the initiative, be there and face the French with such inferior numbers. He prevented a decisive French victory despite Wellington.

Sigh,

what was Wellington's objective? To support Blucher as he promised.

Did he get that objective? No. Blucher had to stand alone and was defeated.

Why did he not get that objective? Because of Ney and his tiny army.

Therefore, Ney and the French won and Wellington and his German/British/Dutch army lost.

That is simple.

I am sure he means "decisive" French victory. But it was still a French victory at both Quatre-Bras and Ligny for the aforementioned reasons. Thanks to the Prince of Orange, it was not a decisive French victory, no thanks to Wellington.

And thanks be to Blucher who displayed such zeal in getting his army to support Wellington that Wellington lacked in getting his German/British/Dutch army to support Blucher, enabling Waterloo to be a decisive Allied victory.

The 100 Days campaign was a decisive Allied victory, no thanks to Wellington.

So? By that logic there was no way the French should win the 100 Days Campaign because the Allied forces vastly outnumbered them. And yet they almost did, no thanks to Wellington.

BTW, you should make a minor correction. Ney's original force heavily outnumbered the Dutch army at Quatre-Bras, and yet the Dutch did a great job in holding back the French just enough for reinforcements to arrive.

Originally posted by Knights

Even if you grossly exaggerate the non-British composition of Wellington's army, more credit must be owed to him for achievements with foreign troops.

Okay, first of all, you are putting words straight into the mouth of the historian, by saying "I am sure he meant decisive victory". Well I am sure that, if he did mean that, he would have written it.

You absolve blame from Blucher, making out that credit is due solely to him for success in the campaign. Also, you added that victory was 'no thanks to Wellington'. My conscience doubts that success would have ever been imagined if Wellington didn't take part in the campaign at all.

Regards,

- Knights -

Bad semantics.

Not sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying that your original claim of Wellington's force being only 35% 'British', and then later claiming only 25-30% is 'bad semantics'?

You are also quick to highlight the foreign elements when they don't do well but they are automatically British when they do well.

Are you sure that I am quick to do that?  Please go back and quote, in my own words, where I have 'highlighted' the 'foreign elements' when they didn't do well but 'automatically' assumed they were British when they did well.  All I have done is consistently referred to the whole combined force as 'the British army'.

The majority of Wellington's army was German so it was a German army with British and Dutch components.

No, it was a 'British army' with British, German and Dutch components.  You seem to want to hold me to a higher standard of preciseness than you follow yourself.  First you referred to the 'German' components as 'Prussian'.  Now you insist on using the collective term 'German', even though there was no 'Germany' at that time.  Rather than referring to the 'German' contingent as a collective whole, you should refer to so many Brunswickers, so many Hannoverians etc.

It is Wellington's fault that the Germans/British/Dutch did not outnumber the French. Thanks be to the Prince of Orange who had courage to take the initiative, be there and face the French with such inferior numbers. He prevented a decisive French victory despite Wellington.

Sigh,

what was Wellington's objective? To support Blucher as he promised.

Did he get that objective? No. Blucher had to stand alone and was defeated.

Why did he not get that objective? Because of Ney and his tiny army.

Therefore, Ney and the French won and Wellington and his German/British/Dutch army lost.

That is simple.

The problem is that your argument is predicated on a number of erroneous assumptions.  Ney and his 'tiny army'?  Ney's 'tiny army' heavily outnumbered the British forces at the start of Quatre Bras.  Ney plus d'Erlons I Corps clearly outnumbered the entire British force present  by the end of the day.  Wellington had promised to join Blucher at Ligny if he was not attacked himself.  He was attacked himself, so that objective was null and void.  What Wellington did do to 'support' Blucher was hold the crossroads, prevent use of the key lateral road for the day and 'tie up' a superior French force (Ney's original forces plus d'Erlon's I Corps) for the entire day, which were therefore not available to Napoleon at Ligny.  Wellington also managed to avoid being defeated himself.  I will elaborate on this in a subsequent post.

I am sure he means "decisive" French victory. But it was still a French victory at both Quatre-Bras and Ligny for the aforementioned reasons. Thanks to the Prince of Orange, it was not a decisive French victory, no thanks to Wellington.

So, you are 'sure' that Col. Elting actually supports your theory, but presumably he just has a little trouble expressing his support for you clearly when he writes his books on the subject?

And thanks be to Blucher who displayed such zeal in getting his army to support Wellington that Wellington lacked in getting his German/British/Dutch army to support Blucher, enabling Waterloo to be a decisive Allied victory.

That I do not disagree with.  Blucher's support at Waterloo was critical in defeating the French

The 100 Days campaign was a decisive Allied victory, no thanks to Wellington.

Without Wellington's support, Ney and d'Erlon's Corps would have headed down the lateral road on June 16 and finished off Blucher completely at Ligny.  There then would have been nothing preventing Napoleon's (re)-conquest of Belgium and the Netherlands.  In fact Wellington played a critical role in the decisive Allied victory in the '100 Day Campaign' (as did Blucher).

So? By that logic there was no way the French should win the 100 Days Campaign because the Allied forces vastly outnumbered them. And yet they almost did, no thanks to Wellington.

Well, the French were outnumbered by the combined British and Prussian forces.  However, Napoleon could win by doing exactly what he tried to do, which was to concentrate on one force, then the other.  Napoleon manoeuvred himself into an advantageous position, then tried to concentrate on Blucher, but Wellington interferred at Quatre Bras, thus neither Ney's force nor d'Erlon's I Corps were able to use the lateral road to take Blucher in the rear.  At Waterloo, Napoleon tried to concentrate on the British, but Blucher's forces intervened.  So Napoleon tried to do what he needed to in order to win, and he was partially successfully.  However, ultimately both Wellington and Blucher managed to avoid allowing the French to concentrate their entire force against the other.

BTW, you should make a minor correction. Ney's original force heavily outnumbered the Dutch army at Quatre-Bras, and yet the Dutch did a great job in holding back the French just enough for reinforcements to arrive.

No correction is necessary.  There was no 'Dutch army'.  The Dutch units first on the scene did do a great job of positioning themselves and holding those advanced positions until reinforcements arrived.  At no point have I attempted to denigrate the role played by the Dutch or 'German' components of Wellington's force.

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 21:27

This is the 'elaboration' that I referred to previously regarding the objectives and impact of the outcome at Quatre Bras.

From Joseph Balkoski's article entitled Ney vs. Wellington The Battle of Quatre Bras June 16, 1815 in Strategy and Tactics magazine #74

Originally posted by joseph balkoski in Ney vs. Wellington

The Aftermath

Who won the battle? Casualties do not give the answer. In the six-hour struggle, the Allies sustained 4,521 casualties (of which 2,275 were British), while the French suffered 4,375. Perhaps it is wiser to look at the strategic objectives of the armies before the struggle. Napoleon's orders to Ney on 16 June clearly specified that he was to engage and defeat Wellington, drive down the Namur road to the east, and envelop Blucher's army at Ligny. Clearly, Ney totally failed to do this. No action taken by Ney at Quatre Bras influenced the fighting at Ligny to any degree. As a result, Blucher's army may well have been saved from total destruction on this day. However, it must be remembered that Wellington's half-hearted promise of support to Blucher was similarly nullified by the French attacks. Moreover, it might be said that no action taken by Wellington at Quatre Bras directly aided the Prussian cause. Thus, in a strategic sense, the Battle of Quatre Bras should probably be called a draw.

In a tactical sense, it is clear that the Allies had the upper hand by day's end. Once rough parity in numbers was achieved on the battlefield, the French never crossed north of the Namur road and, more importantly, never held Quatre Bras. All along the line (except for a time in Bossu Wood) the Allied line held firm and was never broken. On the other hand, a major French infantry assault and four cavalry assaults were totally repulsed. Ney's tactical handling of the battle was abysmal. Unsupported cavalry attacks (a tactic which he repeated disastrously two days later) seemed to be the limit of his tactical finesse. Some of his infantry untis were not engaged at all at Quatre Bras, yet he bitterly complained to the Emperor about the lack of reinforcements from D'Erlon's I Corps! All in all, it appears as if French artillery was the primary cause of Allied losses.

On the other hand, Wellington performed in a masterly fashion at Quatre Bras with many disadvantages. Primarily, he was forced to fight on terrain not of his own choosing, ground that was not well-suited to his typical defensive tactics. In effect, the Duke had no room for maneuver. He was dependent on an arriving army while facing an already-deployed one. For the most part, his troops were poor. Yet he held his positions steadfastly and even attacked successfully at the end of the day.

Not sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying that your original claim of Wellington's force being only 35% 'British', and then later claiming only 25-30% is 'bad semantics'?

I am saying it is not fair to consider an army by the nationality of the general. The army should refer to the nationality of the combatants. Whether it is 35 % or 25-30% British is immaterial because it still puts the British in the minority. Therefore the army cannot be called British because they did not form the majority of the combatants.

Are you sure that I am quick to do that?  Please go back and quote, in my own words, where I have 'highlighted' the 'foreign elements' when they didn't do well but 'automatically' assumed they were British when they did well.  All I have done is consistently referred to the whole combined force as 'the British army'.

When I have time, I will look back through your posts. It is possible that I might have confused you with PeteratWar and Challenger2. If that is the case, I apologize. in the meantime I will  look through you posts.

The problem is that your argument is predicated on a number of erroneous assumptions.  Ney and his 'tiny army'?  Ney's 'tiny army' heavily outnumbered the British forces at the start of Quatre Bras.

No, Wellington's German/British/Dutch army clearly outnumbered Ney's tiny army. It is Wellington's fault that his army did not outnumber the French at the beginning because he didn't send them there. Eventually, the rest of his army arrived and outnumbered and pushed back the French. But that is only because of  the Prince of Orange and his Dutch army for having the foresight, that he didn't, for holding on to Quatre-Bras and hence preventing a decisive French victory rather than an incomplete one.

Wellington had promised to join Blucher at Ligny if he was not attacked himself.

Who was opposing him? Ney's tiny army!!! What a wimp. Blucher, on the other hand, did not let the French at Wavre and Plancenoit stop him from linking up to Wellington.

Who won the battle? Casualties do not give the answer. In the six-hour struggle, the Allies sustained 4,521 casualties (of which 2,275 were British), while the French suffered 4,375. Perhaps it is wiser to look at the strategic objectives of the armies before the struggle. Napoleon's orders to Ney on 16 June clearly specified that he was to engage and defeat Wellington, drive down the Namur road to the east, and envelop Blucher's army at Ligny. Clearly, Ney totally failed to do this. No action taken by Ney at Quatre Bras influenced the fighting at Ligny to any degree. As a result, Blucher's army may well have been saved from total destruction on this day. However, it must be remembered that Wellington's half-hearted promise of support to Blucher was similarly nullified by the French attacks. Moreover, it might be said that no action taken by Wellington at Quatre Bras directly aided the Prussian cause. Thus, in a strategic sense, the Battle of Quatre Bras should probably be called a draw.

Sure, there may be all these objectives but there are primary objectives and secondary objectives. Neys primary objective was to prevent a link up between the two armies. He succeeded. Wellingtons primary objective was to link up with Blucher. He failed. So, Ney won and Wellington lost.

In a tactical sense, it is clear that the Allies had the upper hand by day's end. Once rough parity in numbers was achieved on the battlefield, the French never crossed north of the Namur road and, more importantly, never held Quatre Bras. All along the line (except for a time in Bossu Wood) the Allied line held firm and was never broken. On the other hand, a major French infantry assault and four cavalry assaults were totally repulsed.

What he clearly neglects to mention was that Ney was outnumbered throughout most of the battle, that was why he couldnt push on. But he was able to hold on. At the end of the day, the Allies were forced to withdraw from both Ligny and Quatre-Bras. Therefore, this is a French victory in a tactical sense.

On the other hand, Wellington performed in a masterly fashion at Quatre Bras with many disadvantages. Primarily, he was forced to fight on terrain not of his own choosing, ground that was not well-suited to his typical defensive tactics. In effect, the Duke had no room for maneuver. He was dependent on an arriving army while facing an already-deployed one. For the most part, his troops were poor. Yet he held his positions steadfastly and even attacked successfully at the end of the day.

Yeah, he enjoyed a 2 to 1 advantage in numbers. What a masterful performance by Wellington. What disadvantages did Wellington have? He has always had advantages. See my earlier post about the 9 advantages that he enjoyed in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Spain</st1:country-region>. He has never proven that he could handle disadvantages.

Remember this: Ney outnumbered the Prince of Orange. Wellington outnumbered Ney.

AntonioM

With regards to Quatre Bras, Neys job was to hold off the British and attack the Prussians in the flank/rear. Had he done all that the Prussians would have been routed utterly. Instead at Ligny they suffered a defeat, but their army remained in being as a fighting force, hence as agreed they were able to march to Waterloo. Ney very nearly won Ligny as he was facing some 8000 Dutch/Belgians with some 24000 troops and cavalry. British reinforcements together with Wellington arrived to give close parity to Neys numbers if not slightly less. They were able to push the French out of all their positions which they had won earlier.

Napoleons intention was to defeat the Prussians and British separately and utterly. He failed because Wellington stopped Ney at Quatre Bras. The Allies had time and were able to use it. I have seen your links and they only represent one view and that not generally held. Where you get your numbers from I cannot think.

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 21:27

You call the outcome of Quatre Bras a 'victory' for the French? What exactly did they 'win'? The British tied up Ney's forces for the day, and the fighting was intense enough for Ney to call on d'Erlon's I Corps, the bulk of which was therefore not available at Ligny. Nor were any of Ney's force free to engage at Ligny. There was no possibility of the British 'merging' with the Prussians in that position anyway, due to their divergent lines of communications. So, as I stated before, Wellington accomplished what he needed to at Quatre Bras, which was to prevent Ney from using the road to 'flank' Blucher at Ligny. Since Wellington accomplished his strategic objective for the day, I do not see the basis for 'declaring' Quatre Bras a French victory.

Ney was ordered to prevent the Army of Netherlands from linking up with Blcher. Ney, like later Grouchy at Waterloo, was never supposed to fight at Ligny. Napoleon from the outset planned to march with two columns throughout the campaign (Ney beign the left and Grouchy the right). so he achieved his goal even though not tactcially beating Orange/Wellington. thats what can be called a strategical victory.

Originally posted by DSMyers1

Typically, an army is called by the nationality of the top of the staff and more importantly the one who's paying the soldiers.  Would you not call a mercenary army by the name of the country that had hired them?  It's who they're working for that counts, not the nationality of the soldier.  As far as I've seen, that's always the way it is done.  Weren't the British the ones paying the soldiers in Wellington's Army, and it was commanded by an Englishman?  So call it a British army.  It's just semantics anyway.

the official name was Army of the Netherlands (armies back then were always called after the region they fight at). the proposed commander was the Prince of Orange but he stepped down in favour of Wellington due to his own inexperience. the Army was accurately Anglo-Dutch. the German contingents were part of either British (Hanover, Brunswick) or Dutch (Nassau) allegiances.

This is the 'elaboration' that I referred to previously regarding the objectives and impact of the outcome at Quatre Bras.

From Joseph Balkoski's article entitled Ney vs. Wellington The Battle of Quatre Bras June 16, 1815 in Strategy and Tactics magazine #74

not a very good article, sorry.

I am saying it is not fair to consider an army by the nationality of the general. The army should refer to the nationality of the combatants. Whether it is 35 % or 25-30% British is immaterial because it still puts the British in the minority. Therefore the army cannot be called British because they did not form the majority of the combatants.

I never suggested that the nationality of the commanding general is the criterion either.  The term 'British army' may not be very precise, but its meaning is clear in the context.  I'll tell you what, if you convince me that the 'Austrian' army was clearly majority 'Austrian' in composition, then I will start using the term 'Anglo-Dutch' or British / Dutch / Brunswick / Hannover / Nassau Army or whatever more cumbersome term is considered 'politically correct'.

When I have time, I will look back through your posts. It is possible that I might have confused you with PeteratWar and Challenger2. If that is the case, I apologize. in the meantime I will  look through you posts.

Fair enough, there is alot of back and forth in this thread. 

No, Wellington's German/British/Dutch army clearly outnumbered Ney's tiny army. It is Wellington's fault that his army did not outnumber the French at the beginning because he didn't send them there. Eventually, the rest of his army arrived and outnumbered and pushed back the French. But that is only because of  the Prince of Orange and his Dutch army for having the foresight, that he didn't, for holding on to Quatre-Bras and hence preventing a decisive French victory rather than an incomplete one.

Again, I've already agreed that Napoleon succeeded in 'stealing a march' on Wellington, as Wellington admitted himself.  However, we are talking about what was actually available for the Battle of Quatre Bras on June 16th, not what could have theoretically been available if the manoeuvres of the preceding days had gone differently.  Furthermore, Wellington was heavily outnumbered early in the battle and only managed to gain an advantage late in the day.  Finally, Wellington's entire force at Quatre Bras did not outnumber Ney's original force plus d'Erlon's I Corps.

Who was opposing him? Ney's tiny army!!! What a wimp. Blucher, on the other hand, did not let the French at Wavre and Plancenoit stop him from linking up to Welington.

Yes, Ney's 'tiny' 24,000 man force was 'opposing' Wellington's initial force of 8,000.  Then there was d'Erlon's 20,000 man force which was between the battlefields at Quatre Bras and Ligny.  Ya, what a wimp Wellington was, clearly all he hand to do was destroy 2 forces, each of which heavily outnumbered him, and then drive through to Ligny to engage the even larger French forces there.  I'm sure the Dutch division would have had no problem handling the Old Guard at Ligny after finishing off Ney and d'Erlon.  All in an afternoon's work! Wink

Sure, there may be all these objectives but there are primary objectives and secondary objectives. Neys primary objective was to prevent a link up between the two armies. He succeeded. Wellingtons primary objective was to link up with Blucher. He failed. So, Ney won and Wellington lost.

It appears as though you are conveniently assigning 'primary' objectives in order to justify your conclusion.  In fact, Wellington was to move to Ligny IF he wasn't attacked himself.  He was attacked, by a greatly superior force.  It wasn't until later in the day that, as reinforcements 'trickled' in, that Wellington had any sort of advantage.  Ney's objectives were to defeat the British, capture the crossroads and use the lateral road to hit Blucher in the flank.  He failed on all counts.  Wellington's objectives were to reinforce Blucher if not attacked, otherwise to hold the crossroads, deny use of the lateral road to the French and to tie up as many French forces as possible.  True, he did fail to reinforce Blucher directly.  However, otherwise he succeeded.  Not only was Ney's original force fully engaged, but Ney was 'forced' to call on d'Erlon's I Corps for reinforcments which thereby denied the use of that force at Ligny as well.   

What he clearly neglects to mention was that Ney was outnumbered throughout most of the battle, that was why he couldnt push on. But he was able to hold on. At the end of the day, the Allies were forced to withdraw from both Ligny and Quatre-Bras. Therefore, this is a French victory in a tactical sense.

The British only withdrew from Quatre Bras due to the Prussian retreat.  In fact it was the British who had 'held the field' at the end of the day, and they were in no way 'defeated' and 'forced' to retreat the way the Prussians had been.

Yeah, he enjoyed a 2 to 1 advantage in numbers. What a masterful performance by Wellington. What disadvantages did Wellington have? He has always had advantages. See my earlier post about the 9 advantages that he enjoyed in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Spain</st1:country-region>. He has never proven that he could handle disadvantages.

Remember this: Ney outnumbered the Prince of Orange. Wellington outnumbered Ney.

No, that is simply untrue.  Wellington was on the field, in command by 3pm.  At that time he was still heavily outnumbered by the French.  Shortly afterwards he received some reinforcements (Picton's division and a cavalry bridage) which still left him outnumbered (25,000 French vs. 17,000 British).  Some time after that Brunswick showed up with some troops which brought Wellington's force up to 21,000.  So Wellington was definitely in command while being outnumbered.  At what point was Ney outnumbered 2:1?  The final British reinforcments of the day brought the British up to 36,000, which was far short of 2:1 over Ney's original force and still less than Ney plus d'Erlon's I Corps.

not a very good article, sorry.

No need to say 'sorry' to me, I didn't write it.  Was there any reason why you labeled it as 'not very good', other than the usual - that you don't agree with it.

Ney was ordered to prevent the Army of Netherlands from linking up with Blcher. Ney, like later Grouchy at Waterloo, was never supposed to fight at Ligny. Napoleon from the outset planned to march with two columns throughout the campaign (Ney beign the left and Grouchy the right). so he achieved his goal even though not tactically beating Orange/Wellington. Thats what can be called a strategic victory.

That fails to comprehensively analyze the entire situation as it existed, and relies on considering only part of Ney's original orders so as to come to the conclusion.  Mr. Balkoski's article is far more thorough in its analysis.  The bottomline is that the French either needed to concentrate more forces against the Prussians to 'complete' their victory there, or to defeat the British.  The fact is that they achieved neither.  The British were undefeated and held the crossroads.  The French were denied the use of Ney's force and d'Erlon's I Corps at Ligny, a combined force which outnumbered what was available to Wellington.  Certainly NOT a victory, strategic or otherwise, in my book.

No need to say 'sorry' to me, I didn't write it.  Was there any reason why you labeled it as 'not very good', other than the usual - that you don't agree with it.

primarily his assessment of Wellington and lack of knowledge about Napoleons/Neys plan. he critizied the Anglo-Dutch Army arriving piecemeal - same goes for Neys forces. he mentioned Wellington at an disadvantage due to terrain. well, of course he didn't choose the ground, but neither did Ney. also, he criticized the terrain not being suited for manoeuvres. well, Wellington was obviously not from the school of manoeuvre warfare and all he had to do was to hold firm, something he was skilled at.

as for Ligny and the strategical outline. looking at the battle of Ligny, it was far from a real victory for Napoleon, in fact he was in the defensive and all he did was repulsing Prussian assaults and then drivign them off with his reserves. the I Corps d'Erlon was supposed to intervene on the left flank and if possible inflict a more serious defeat on the Prussians but as it happened the Prussians retreated in pretty good order. Ney was ordered to stop the Anglo-Dutch Army from falling onto Napoleons flank and Ney suceeded even though he didn't suceeded in crushing the vanguard led by the Prince of Orange. it was very archetypcial strategy for Napoleon, he also did that in 1800 and 1813. to elaborate: in 1800 he sent out 2 armies and hismelf in control of the third (reserve) army. his army was supposed to support he army in most trouble (in this case, massenas Army of Italy). in 1815 the Army was divided in two columns, the left column udner Ney and the right under Grouchy. again, Napoleon would be himself in the center and support whoever he decides to take on at the time. (wellington -> Ney, Prussians -> Grouchy).

just a small addition to what i wrote above already. the crossroad was only important because Wellington was supposed to link up with Blcher. after Ligny, the crossroad became insignificant for Wellington and he retreated back to Mont St. Jean and this time it was Blcher who was to support Wellington. so in conclusion, any supposed "victory" of wellington at Quatre-Bras became obsolete by Blchers defeat and Wellingtons failure to link up with him. therefore, in all events it is at least a strategical defeat.

The error in your analysis here, and it is a common error, is that you are ignoring the importance of the crossroads and lateral road to the French.  As has been clearly stated previously, the 'objective' of Wellington moving to Ligny was nullified by virtue of the fact that he was attacked by a vastly superior force (Ney's).  There was another also superior force (d'Erlon) between him and Ligny.  It was only later in the day that Wellington's reinforcements gave him a numerical advantage over Ney (but still inferior to Ney and d'Erlon combined).  It was the French who wanted and needed the road.  Ney squandered his early opportunity to capture the crossroads early, and use the lateral road to send d'Erlon's I Corps, plus possibly additional forces, to hit Blucher in the flank.  That would potentially have given Napoleon the truly crushing victory that he needed at Ligny.  As it was, and as you pointed out, Blucher retreated but was far from finished after Ligny.  A French strategic victory at Quatre Bras would have involved either sending significant forces to Ligny to 'ice' the victory there, or at least inflicting a significant defeat on Wellington.  As it was, Ney's original force plus d'Erlon's I Corps were unavailable at Ligny, yet failed to defeat Wellington.  Of course you are correct that once the Prussians retreated from Ligny, the position won by Wellington at Quatre Bras was meaningless.  At that point there wasn't really much choice for Wellington other than to fall back in parallel with Blucher.   But that doesn't nullify the contribution Wellington made to the Allies' cause in fighting at Quatre Bras.  It's pretty clear that if the crossroads had been ceded without a fight d'Erlon and possibly additional forces would have headed down the Namur road, hit Blucher in the flank and possibly resulted in a crushing defeat at Ligny.  THAT would have represented a strategic victory for the French at Quatre Bras.  Using 45,000 French troops merely to prevent Wellington's smaller force from fighting through to Ligny, which Wellington had no intention of attempting once he was attacked, does NOT represent a strategic victory. 

No, Napoleon did not have the strength to defeat the combined forces of Blucher and Wellington let alone the other armies massing. His only hope was to smash the two armies and (hopefully) convince the rest of Europe to let him be.

He could only hope to smash the two armies individually. Time was NOT on his side.

So he faced Blucher at Ligny the nearest of his enemies. Ney was to ensure that Quatre Bras was held so that the flank/rear of Blucher's army could be attacked by D'Erlon's corps at the very least. Similarly Wellington (if he could) was to march and support Blucher provided he himself was not opposed.

In the end the battle at Quatre Bras stopped Napoleon's strategy dead. Blucher's army was beaten but remained an effective fighting force.

Wellington fell back to Mont St Jean which he had already reconoitred and informed Blucher that he would give battle there if Blucher would support him with at least a corps. To this Blucher assented and kept his word.

Napoleon then faced Wellington at Waterloo with the result we know. Wellington's and Blucher's co-operation and the result at Quatre Bras totally foiled Napoleon's plans strategic and tactical.

i think you give Quatre-Bras too much importance. it was never an objective of the French to capture it nor had Ney orders to take it. on the contrary it was crucial to Wellington, all Ney had to do was to stop the allies and he actually didn't needed the crossroads to accomplish this. the combat that evolved there was purely coincidental as it was in between Wellington and Blcher. Wellingtons aim of supporting Blcher was foiled, therefore it was a French startegic victory and nothing can change that. the confusion about the misusage of d'Erlons I Corps can be critizised but Ligny still was a victory on which to built up further sucesses. Napoleon was still on the strategic advantage and continued his offensive.

I am not arguing for any particular level of importance of the Battle of Quatre Bras.  I am simply addressing the issue of 'who won'.  Your claims with regard to Ney's orders directly contradict numerous sources.  For example the very same napoleon-series.org site that you referred to in another thread has this to say:

Originally posted by Alfons Libert on Napoleon-Series.org

]
...Early in the morning of the 16th, at about 0600, Napoleon had Soult dispatch orders to Ney and Grouchy, his wing commanders...

...Ney was ordered to occupy the Quatre-Bras area and had to hold himself ready for an immediate advance up the Brussels road once the reserve reached him...

...At 1400, Napoleon instructed Soult to send a message to Ney, informing him that he (Napoleon) would attack Blucher at 1430. Ney was to vigorously attack any enemy in front of him, drive him back and then turn and attack Blucher's right flank...

...At 1515, Soult sent another message to Ney telling him that "the fate of France is in your hands" and that he was to attack the Prussians on the Brye heights and in St-Amands without any delay...

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/battles/hundred/c_chapter3.html#preliminaries

I do not understand why you persist in this notion that Wellington was trying to get to the battlefield at Ligny.  From the time that his 8,000 men were attacked by Ney's 24,000, there was no intention of even trying to get to Ligny.  From that moment on Wellington was trying to fight the French forces in front of him, and deny the crossroads and the use of the lateral road to the French.  Furthermore, Ney's objective was not simply to prevent Wellington from getting through to Ligny.  He was supposed to have defeated Wellington, captured the crossroads and attack Blucher in the flank.

because the plan outlined by Gneisenau was like that. either one commander would support the one under attack. Wellington made a promiss to Blcher to support him case of a French attack. it is the very reason the Quatre-Bras crossroad was occupied in the first place. there would have been no reason for Wellington to advance to Quatre-bras just to retreat afterwards. Neys forces were insufficient to defeat Wellington, he was only supposed to clear whoever opposes him, which is also stated in the order you cited. the other order was unrealistic in that he should both defeat Wellington and then turn on the Prussian flank, must perhaps be a mistranslation, i'd like to see the French version.

Wellington only promised to bring forces to Ligny IF he was not himself attacked.  On the one hand you claim that Ney's forces were insufficient to 'defeat' Wellington.  Yet from early morning until about 3:00pm Ney had 24,000 troops (plus d'Erlon's additional 20,000 nearby) facing only 8,000.  The fact that Ney didn't start his attack until after 2:00pm doesn't justify 'moving the goal posts' regarding what he was expected to or able to achieve.  Napoleon reasonably expected that Ney's 24,000 men should easily push aside Wellington's 8,000, capture the crossroads and then send at least d'Erlon, possibly additional forces, down the Namur road to take Blucher in the flank.  The simple fact is that Ney delayed and thereby lost his chance to win.  Not only that, but Ney actually called on d'Erlon to support him at Quatre Bras and thereby denied the use of those forces at Ligny as well. 

Again, you claim Ney's orders were 'unrealistic', yet somehow you believe that it is reasonable to expect Wellington to have fought his way through Ney's force and then d'Erlons force in order to get to Ligny and fight there?  It seems pretty clearly contradictory to absolve Ney of having to achieve the objects in his orders on the basis of having missed the opportunity which clearly existed earlier in the day while holding Wellington to a 'promise' which actually explicitly included an 'out' (i.e. IF not attacked himself).

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 21:29

Sigh. I don't know why I am still in this Quatre-Bras debate. This is taking too much of my time.

Read this section from the link I provided earlier.

In the meantime the Emperor had been reflecting that Ney might not succeed in carrying out the movement of turning the corner at Quatre Bras but instead become enmeshed in an inconclusive fight with Wellington, with the result that d'Erlon corps would not get over to support him in time. But Napoleon considered that Ney should be able to carry out his primary mission of keeping Wellington from joining Blucher even without d'Erlon's corps. (Ney did not intentionally leave d'Erlon's 1st Corps behind.)

See, the link I provided states that Ney's primary objective was to prevent the linkup between Wellington and Blucher. He succeeded. Wellington's primary objective was to link up with Blucher. He failed. Ney won. Wellington lost. The Battle of Waterloo then had to be fought where Wellington and Blucher was able to link up barely in time, no thanks to Wellington.

On the one hand you claim that Ney's forces were insufficient to 'defeat' Wellington.  Yet from early morning until about 3:00pm Ney had 24,000 troops (plus d'Erlon's additional 20,000 nearby) facing only 8,000.

Even if all this is true, you still can't use that because it was Wellington's fault that his army did not outnumber Ney's tiny army from the beginning. You can thank the Dutch army led by the Prince of Orange for being there, disobeying Wellington's orders, and for holding back the French repeatedly, not Wellington.

Again, you claim Ney's orders were 'unrealistic', yet somehow you believe that it is reasonable to expect Wellington to have fought his way through Ney's force and then d'Erlons force in order to get to Ligny and fight there?

D'Erlon's troops never engaged Wellington's army so he was not outnumbered by both Ney and d'Erlon, just Ney. If Wellington had gotten past Ney, then he might have encountered d'Erlon, but he didn't. He was stopped by Ney's tiny army alone.

The link I provided states that before 5:30PM Wellington outnumbered Ney 2:1 and then went on the offensive. Guess what? His offensive failed. The outnumbered French even gained some territory. It was only after 7PM with even more reinforcements for the Allies, that Wellington's army and the Prince of Orange's army together renewed the offensive and pushed back the French, but it was still only a slow push back; the French still did not retreat but held on. All the Allies have to show for that late offensive is the same position that they occupied before the battle; they could not push further than that despite vast numerical superiority, so I fail to see how the "British" held the field. It seems to me that Ney and the French not only won a strategic victory, but a tactical one.

Anyway, I am out of this Quatre-Bras debate, I am going in circles and am sick of it.

AntonioM, you may not like it but at Quatre Bras Wellington never outnumbered Ney, let alone at odds of 2-1. He barely had equality and by the end of the day had forced the French to relinquish all their territorial gains around the cross-roads. Yes until near the end of the day when he was able to attack the French, Wellington was outnumbered by BOTH D'Erlon AND Ney.  I suggest you look firmly at very many more sources.

By the way having thrown back the French by the end of the day, what on earth did you expect Wellington to do? Go charging around at night?  He waited until he had confirmation of Blucher's defeat which expected might happen then quite properly made arrangements for Blucher to send his a corps whilst he fell back to the Mont St Jean position to fight Napoleon.

Sigh. I don't know why I am still in this Quatre-Bras debate. This is taking too much of my time.

Read this section from the link I provided earlier.

In the meantime the Emperor had been reflecting that Ney might not succeed in carrying out the movement of turning the corner at Quatre Bras but instead become enmeshed in an inconclusive fight with Wellington, with the result that d'Erlon corps would not get over to support him in time. But Napoleon considered that Ney should be able to carry out his primary mission of keeping Wellington from joining Blucher even without d'Erlon's corps. (Ney did not intentionally leave d'Erlon's 1st Corps behind.)

See, the link I provided states that Ney's primary objective was to prevent the linkup between Wellington and Blucher. He succeeded. Wellington's primary objective was to link up with Blucher. He failed. Ney won. Wellington lost. The Battle of Waterloo then had to be fought where Wellington and Blucher was able to link up barely in time, no thanks to Wellington.

The glaring flaw in your argument is that it is based on this sole internet source.  The problem here is that it was Napoleon who assigned Ney his objectives at the time, not a contributor to a website almost 2 centuries later.  Napoleon was clear in what he expected Ney to accomplish, i.e. to defeat the small force opposing him, capture the crossroads and the lateral road and send forces to flank Blucher.  Later, this was modified to specifiy only d'Erlon need be sent to Ligny, not the rest of Ney's force.  Ney failed to take advantage of the golden opportunity he had early on June 16, with his 24,000 men facing only the 8,000 man Dutch division.  However, Ney delayed his attack, for no good reason, until after 2:00pm.  Even then the attack proceeded so cautiously that British reinforcements were able to come up in time to stop Ney's attacks.  The British counterattacks were sufficient to cause Ney to call on d'Erlon's I Corps to support him at Quatre Bras, which therefore denied the use of that force at Ligny as well.  Thus Wellington's 36,000 man force 'tied up' 45,000 French forces which were unavailable for the fight against Blucher.  I don't know why you persist in this notion that Wellington's objective was to advance to Ligny.  Wellington clearly stated that he would do so IF he were not himself attacked.  From the moment that Ney's 24,000 men attacked Wellington's 8,000, advancing to Ligny was no longer an objective for Wellington.   

On the one hand you claim that Ney's forces were insufficient to 'defeat' Wellington.  Yet from early morning until about 3:00pm Ney had 24,000 troops (plus d'Erlon's additional 20,000 nearby) facing only 8,000.

Even if all this is true,

Why do you even bother to insinuate that it might not be true, if you haven't at least made the effort to either validate or provide information that contradicts it?

you still can't use that because it was Wellington's fault that his army did not outnumber Ney's tiny army from the beginning. You can thank the Dutch army led by the Prince of Orange for being there, disobeying Wellington's orders, and for holding back the French repeatedly, not Wellington.

If Ney had attacked earlier in the day and wiped out the 8,000 man Dutch division (not sure why you insist on using the term 'army' for a force of any size, or for that matter why you refer to Ney's 24,000 man force as a 'tiny army' but refer to the 8,000 man Dutch force as 'the Dutch army' - i.e. not 'even tinier')  with his 24,000 man force, then you might not think Orange was so smart.  In any case, Wellington was on the field in command within 1 hour of the start of Ney's attack.  Finally, we are talking about the Battle of Quatre Bras which took place on June 16.  Again, Napoleon did manage to 'steal a march' on Wellington up to June 15.  The outcome of the Battle of Quatre Bras is based on what happened on June 16, given the positions as they existed at the start of that day.  Napoeleon's entirely reasonable expectation for the fighting on June 16 was for Ney to easily defeat the small force opposing him and then send d'Erlon's I Corps, and possibly more troops, down the Namur road to take Blucher in the flank.  The manoeuvres up to June 15 put the French in a position to win big on June 16.  Instead Ney squandered his opportunity and failed to achieve any of the objectives that Napoleon had set for him.

D'Erlon's troops never engaged Wellington's army so he was not outnumbered by both Ney and d'Erlon, just Ney. If Wellington had gotten past Ney, then he might have encountered d'Erlon, but he didn't. He was stopped by Ney's tiny army alone.

While it is true that d'Erlon's force did not end up fighting Wellington the key points here are that d'Erlon's I Corps was not available at Ligny as a result of the fighting at Quatre Bras.  Ney felt hard pressed by Wellington's forces and as a result he called on d'Erlon to support him at Quatre Bras.  Therefore, d'Erlon being unavailable for the battle at Ligny was directly related Wellington's actions at Quatre Bras.  The other point is that if Wellington was somehow going to get to Ligny, he would have to had get through d'Erlon's force as well as Ney's. 

The link I provided states that before 5:30PM Wellington outnumbered Ney 2:1 and then went on the offensive. Guess what? His offensive failed. The outnumbered French even gained some territory. It was only after 7PM with even more reinforcements for the Allies, that Wellington's army and the Prince of Orange's army together renewed the offensive and pushed back the French, but it was still only a slow push back; the French still did not retreat but held on. All the Allies have to show for that late offensive is the same position that they occupied before the battle; they could not push further than that despite vast numerical superiority, so I fail to see how the "British" held the field. It seems to me that Ney and the French not only won a strategic victory, but a tactical one.

Anyway, I am out of this Quatre-Bras debate, I am going in circles and am sick of it.

The British at no point outnumbered Ney's force by 2:1 at Quatre Bras.  Ney's force was 25,000 by the time significant British reinforcments started to arrive.  The last reinforcements of the day for Wellington about 6:30pm, brought his force up to 36,000.  Furthermore, Ney felt compelled to call on d'Erlon to support him at Quatre Bras, thereby denying the use of an additional 20,000 men to Napoleon at Ligny.  So 36,000 British 'tied up' 45,000 French for the day, directly or indirectly.  The fighting for the day was focused on control of the crossroads.  Ney squandered a huge advantage early on and failed to achieve the objectives laid out for him by Napoleon at the time.  In terms of the overall campaign, Ney failed to 'defeat' the British and failed to support the fighting at Ligny, as was expected by Napoleon based on the advantageous position achieved on the 15th.  On the other hand, Wellington wasn't planning on fighting his way through Ney's 24,000 man force and through d'Erlon's 20,000 man force with his 8,000 man Dutch division.  Before additional British forces could come up, Ney had already started his attack (after 2:00pm) which nullified the 'objective' / promise of Wellington going to Ligny.  From that point on Wellington's objectives were to hold the crossroads, deny use of the lateral road to the French and to tie up as many French troops as possible, thereby denying their use at Ligny.  The only basis for claiming a French victory at Quatre Bras is to ignore Ney's explicit orders from Napoleon, ignore the fact that Ney could reasonably have achieved his objectives if only he had attacked earlier in the day, ignore the fact that Ney called on d'Erlon to support him because of the fighting at Quatre Bras and thereby denied the use of that force at Ligny and finally one must ignore the explicit caveat Wellington stated when he 'promised' to bring forces to Ligny (i.e. IF not attacked himself).

which nullified the 'objective' / promise of Wellington going to Ligny.

no it didn't and thats the problem of your thinking here. the crossroads was as i mentioned before only relevant for linking up with Blcher. if he gave up reaching Blcher that also includes nullifyign the importance of Quatre-Bras. no one can blame him for not reaching Blcher, which was denied by Ney and thats exactly why ney was still victorious. you cannot say Ney lost because his assault failed, wellington never made any efforts to attack the French, thats his failure. both failed in their assignments proper but the battle of Ligny made Ney the winner of the day. "if not beign attacked" is not a strategic objective, his objective was to link up, he failed, end of story.

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 21:30

which nullified the 'objective' / promise of Wellington going to Ligny.

no it didn't and thats the problem of your thinking here. the crossroads was as i mentioned before only relevant for linking up with Blcher. if he gave up reaching Blcher that also includes nullifyign the importance of Quatre-Bras. no one can blame him for not reaching Blcher, which was denied by Ney and thats exactly why ney was still victorious. you cannot say Ney lost because his assault failed, wellington never made any efforts to attack the French, thats his failure. both failed in their assignments proper but the battle of Ligny made Ney the winner of the day. "if not beign attacked" is not a strategic objective, his objective was to link up, he failed, end of story.

I believe it was the intention of DSM to include you in the 'et al' when he asked for no further posts on Quatre Bras in his 'rankings' thread.  In any case I will create this new thread to respond, as per his request.

Where you are wrong is that the crossroads and use of the lateral road were important to the French, not just to the British.  In fact Ney's orders explicitly instructed him to capture the crossroads and use the road to shift forces (d'Erlon plus possibly more) to take Blucher in the flank.  On the other hand, Wellington's promise explicitly included a caveat (i.e. IF not attacked himself), which you conveniently persist in ignoring.  The idea that Ney's 'objective' for the day was to hold off Wellington's 8,000 man Dutch division with 24,000 of his own men while also calling on d'Erlon's 20,000 man force to support him runs counter to the fact of Napoleon's orders as well as common sense.

Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2008 at 08:33

Perhaps the best comment is Napoleon's own.

When he arrived at Quatre Bras and saw the mess Ney had made of things he said

"You have lost France"
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2008 at 23:41
Good point, I tend to agree.  Napoleon always had an excellent 'sense' for those sorts of things.  Although he still felt he had an advantage after the events of June 16th, he no doubt felt that Ney had squandered a golden opportunity to finish off the Prussians at Ligny on that day. 
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 00:07
Very nice thread. I feel guilty for not participating. But only someone of incredibly one-eyed reading of history can think Wellington lost Quatras Bras.

Who holds the field at the end of the day is important in warfare if both sides objective is to win the field. But objectives are the overiding concern in determining victory. Wellington acheived his, Ney failed utterly.

I made exactly the same point in the top 100 commanders thread, when I said Wellington won Quatras Bras for exactly the same reason he lost Rolica. The winner of the field failed in the object through lethargy and the victor retreated the field having delayed a superior force. His reason for engaging a superior foe at the outset. Arguably the finest action fought by the French in the Pennisular.

Edited by Paul - 15-Apr-2008 at 00:36
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 00:26
I kind of see what you mean about Rolica, Paul - but does it really qualify as a loss for Wellington? Yes, it was definitely not his finest day on the battlefield (nor some of his troops, namely the 29th foot, I believe). However, he did eventually manage to override the French position by the late afternoon, to which the French army at first had to withdraw, eventually breaking into a disordered retreat. Wellington had seen of his foe, held the hill and caused a good deal of losses to the opposing army.

Do you know exactly what his objectives were in this battle?

- Knights -
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 00:32
Wellington wanted to quickly brush Delaborde aside and fall upon Junot before he was prepared. Delaborde had the objective of delaying him. He did this then retreated in good order after making it safe for Junot. A text book delaying action.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 00:44
OK I see what you mean now. Delaborde accomplished his goal, without suffering too high casualties (it still cost him). It's still arbitrary to say that Wellington 'was defeated' at Rolica though, because it is natural instinct to think that "if he held the field and repelled the opposition, he must have won!"

That's sorted, thanks.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 08:35
Originally posted by Paul

Wellington wanted to quickly brush Delaborde aside and fall upon Junot before he was prepared. Delaborde had the objective of delaying him. He did this then retreated in good order after making it safe for Junot. A text book delaying action.

No those at that tiome were not Wellington's objectives. He had scarcely landed all his troops and needed to gather together supplies cavalry etc etc. He moved inland to give himself room to manoeuvre and to prevent Loison joining Junot and Delaborde.

The battle was fought in terrain which had it been Wellington in Delaborde's place he would have comfortably held the field.

As it was Wellington won the day in that he drive back Delaborde (who lost more men and 3 guns) and he prevented the junction with Loison.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 13:44
If Wellington won Rolica he lost Quatras Bras. Can't have it both ways.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 14:05
He won both.

Rolica - forced Delaborde to retreat & prevented Loison linking up. Grant you not his best battle but it was his first against the French

Quatre Bras - Napoleon's comments on Ney's efforts 'On a perdu La France'

The French didn't believe they won either battle and they were there!

Edited by Peteratwar - 15-Apr-2008 at 14:14
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 18:22
most of the quotes attribtued to Napoleon are not made by him at all and the other half he made up on St. Helena while working on his own myth.

Originally posted by Paul

Who holds the field at the end of the day is important in warfare if both sides objective is to win the field.

tell that Mack at Ulm, or Paulus at Stalingrad. don't think i need to go further into this.

btw i could have also just moved all relevant posts here but deadkenny beat me to it, oh well.

anways i'll only participate in this thread after having gathered enough original material to end this discussion soon and decisive, i'm in no mood for another Old Guard/armistice thread...

Edited by Temujin - 15-Apr-2008 at 18:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>