Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

possible for Europe to become a single state?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: possible for Europe to become a single state?
    Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 19:08
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

If Europe is going to become a single state, should there be a common second language for the state to use? And what should it be?

Perhaps, do I see the revival of Latin?

Nah, most probably English. I couldnt imagine sending middle aged men back to school so they could learn it. But then again....

Why sending midle aged men?We could start teaching the children latin and one day,when the old ones die and only latin speaking are left latin will be introduced as official european language.
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 22:23

Esperanto?   I know it's not used by that many people but if you are gonna start kids why not?  i've heard it's great for learning other languages in general also? 

http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 02:38
I think it's definitely about impossible for Europe to become a single state. There's no way you can unite at least 30 different cultures, if not more, under a single ruler. Europe used to be full of large states ruling multiple ethnic groups. Then those groups followed nationalism and national pride towards becoming individual states. This still happens today, in places like Tibet and Chechnya.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 11:20
A unitary state is highly unlikely to happen in the near future. For several scholars and historians the only way for this to happen would be the complete dissolution of STATES into NATIONS, in order to form a Federation of Regions - this would, in theory, mean the end of bigger countries like France, Germany, Italy, Spain as we know them, giving way to autonomous regions like Brittany, Corsica, Hesse, Bavaria, Veneto, Piedmont, Galicia, Catalonya, and so on. One can easily see the obstacles in this path: centralism, national pride, etc... It is quite hard for euro-sceptics to accept the existance of multi-nationalism under a supra-national state.

What we are witnessing nowdays is more of a Confederation of States - independent states agreeing to run their land based on common policies designed together having in mind the greater good of the colective (such as economic, agricultural and energy policies), but keeping sovereignty over a lot of matters (such as cultural and military policy). Time will tell if in the future ALL policies will be COMMON policies - that would be a big step forward, and would require the existance of a great europeist ideal in all heads-of-state at the same time, something that has never happened thus far. 

As for the proper classification of the EU, I have no clue as to what call it - they call themselves "sui generis" - but I couldn't resist bringing back this lovely "explanation for leighmen" provided by Chairman Barroso:

Edited by Frederick Roger - 13-Nov-2008 at 11:21
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2008 at 07:44
Originally posted by Parnell

3) Do more on closing the language barriers. As long as most Europeans speak different languages it will make it impossible to form any sort of identity which a state needs to survive. The average Irishman and Italianman may have stuff in common but we'll never know unless the opposite speak the said language.

From a purely bureaucratic point of view, this is true .Yet, it has already been partially solved. English, French and German are the primary languages of communication inside EU's different services.From a common citizen's point of view like me, though, it wouldn't be so much of a problem, but a true plus. In the end , linguistic plurality is one of the "magical" components of what we call EU. If you want to communicate with an Italian in a greater scale, that is in his/her language, then learn the god damn language! It will only make you better as a human being , it will broaden your linguistic horizons and, consequently, it will augment your  level of understanding of the different cultures.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 17:48
I'll learn Greek if you learn Irish :-)
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 18:14
Originally posted by Parnell

I'll learn Greek if you learn Irish :-)

I would not have any problem at all to learn Irish ,with the condition of having the necessary time, money and  teacher to actually do such a thing. Yet, i do not have any of those right now.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2008 at 21:54
Well, where is this headed? The Constitution nearly passed a few years ago, and although I don't think the United States of Europe will come into existance any time soon, I do think it will happen eventually. I, personally, am opposed to it because I'm afraid that all of the smaller cultures will die out, but then, they are dying out already.

It was predicted, by one of my favorite historical figures, in the 1700's this would happen.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.-George Washington

Edited by Red4tribe - 28-Nov-2008 at 21:57
Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.

George Washington - March 15, 1783

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2008 at 22:11
I didn't know he said that. But again, I must rehash, any step on the road to a United States of Europe must begin with the abolition of the Democratic Deficit. If I were to revote on the Lisbon Treaty now it would be against it.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2009 at 11:45
Whats the chances with the economic train wreck that's occurring. Will it bring the UK and its pound peso Wink closer to the euro or will we see a rise in nationalism again (think the 30's) as countries crack under the pressure like Iceland?

lets be even more specific; Will German tax payers want to pay for Greek pensions and whos going to save Spain?

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2009 at 12:32
A single state? It would do more damage than good to force such a structure on the various European states. The only realistic option is to continue working on centralising and expanding (Ukraine, the Balkans, Switzerland, Norway and Iceland) the union that's currently in place, and work towards even greater unity in diversity. A common tongue, law code, currency, economy and defence (used only for defence) should be the priorities, while letting each state continue to run itself. This is, of course, what is already being done, and the EU at present has the largest GDP in the world and a population of 500 million.

As for a common tongue, I think Latin would be too awkward. The most practical choice would be to go with English, alternatively French or German, or just validate all three.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2009 at 21:37
Originally posted by Leonidas

lets be even more specific; Will German tax payers want to pay for Greek pensions and whos going to save Spain?

German tax payers (pensions are actually not payed by taxes but pension funding similar to taxes) can't even pay their own pensions.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2009 at 23:51

Within a few decades that question may sound equally ridiculous as "Will Bavarian tax payers want to pay for Low Saxon pensions and who's going to save Brandenburg?"

Now, I hope Temüjin won't ruin my argument by stating that tax collection in Germany is resolved by the individual Länder.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 11:37
The only realistic option is to continue working on centralising and expanding
These are contradictory aims and therefore hardly 'realistic'.

(Ukraine, the Balkans, Switzerland, Norway and Iceland)
What about Turkey? 

A common tongue, law code, currency, economy and defence (used only for defence) should be the priorities, while letting each state continue to run itself.
Viable common defence is impossible as long as NATO exists.

As for a common tongue, I think Latin would be too awkward.
I agree. Sanskrit would be better.

Originally posted by Mix

Within a few decades that question may sound equally ridiculous as "Will Bavarian tax payers want to pay for Low Saxon pensions and who's going to save Brandenburg?
Yea, we know from history that states create nations, not vice versa. If Brussels will become stronger it may create a 'European' nation eventually. It is already inventing (or reviving the 19th century imaginary notions of) 'European identity', 'European values', 'European history', etc. If the project is successful, in a few decaeds we will have millions of brainwashed people who think something called Europe existed since the ancient times.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 13:13
Originally posted by Temujin

German tax payers (pensions are actually not payed by taxes but pension funding similar to taxes) can't even pay their own pensions.
yeah but the Greek government is getting priced out of the bond market (default risk is too high), they're only doing short duration bonds, 3-6 months. Its becoming very conceivable the EU will have to step in if it cant roll these boys over.who is a big net funder of the EU? Smile

Italy and the other southern states are also screwed so it wont stop with little Greece
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 14:00
Expansion and consolidation are contradictory actions, yes, which is why expansion must be slow, meticulous and limited if consolidation is to be realistic.

Turkey is a difficult case and given that Turkey meets EU's demands there remains the question of identity. A European Union needs a European identity superimposed on all the regional identities, which is as Beylerbeyi pointed out already in the making, but I wonder if the Turkish people can realistically be expected to think of themselves as Europeans in the near future. If we were dealing with the Ottoman state I'd say it wasn't possible, but as we're dealing with the Turkey left behind by Ataturk it may be possible given time. One strategy could be to market it as a continuance of Ataturk's westernisation program by presenting him as a pioneer of Turkish europeanisation. It would also be important to make it perfectly clear that a European identity isn't determined by religion and that the EU in no way is a revival of Christendom, as the Vatican would have it. Then again this might alienate several other member states, which begs the question of whether it's worth it.

Concerning a common defense, any such plan will be "unnecessary" as long as NATO functions, certainly, but it's hard to predict what the geopolitical landscape will look like in the future and a eurocentric defense plan should at least be kept as a plan B.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 18:50
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Now, I hope Temüjin won't ruin my argument by stating that tax collection in Germany is resolved by the individual Länder.

not all taxes, it depends on the tax whether it goes to the Bund or the Länder. Wink
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 18:53

yeah but the Greek government is getting priced out of the bond market (default risk is too high), they're only doing short duration bonds, 3-6 months. Its becoming very conceivable the EU will have to step in if it cant roll these boys over.who is a big net funder of the EU? Smile

Italy and the other southern states are also screwed so it wont stop with little Greece

what do you mean by bond market?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 20:45
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

What about Turkey? 

Turkey would be the biggest state of EU and while they have different culture and while most Turks have anti-Western feelings I don't see the sense of such incorporation.

Yea, we know from history that states create nations, not vice versa. If Brussels will become stronger it may create a 'European' nation eventually. It is already inventing (or reviving the 19th century imaginary notions of) 'European identity', 'European values', 'European history', etc. If the project is successful, in a few decaeds we will have millions of brainwashed people who think something called Europe existed since the ancient times.

I think that in history nations created states. I agree with the brainwashing of "European identity". But I don't think in 19th century existed such a concept, except the racist atitude toward other cultures. Anyway, I don't think that this is the way things go. The Muslims in EU seems to be the future generations, they have the most kids or will have soon. Anyway, I don't think either that Islam is the future of Europe but that important changes will take place in the religious and socio-ideological orientations and the future of Europe will look good, a place of friendship and understanding between peoples from different cultures and continents.

And is nice that the peoples of Europe (who in past fought one another) decided voluntary to live together.

Edited by Menumorut - 28-Jan-2009 at 20:57

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 21:19
Impossible.

I'd say FEDERAL STATE. But also hardly, long time in the future perhaps, not any time soon.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>