Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

possible for Europe to become a single state?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: possible for Europe to become a single state?
    Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 16:03
Adolf Hitler and some abettors tried it once but failed.

No further chance for the next future to realise this thoughts.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 16:50
Originally posted by DesertHistorian

I've noticed this over the years of discussing the EU on this forum. An American always comes out with this argument. I used to wonder why, are they projecting their own country demographics onto Europe? But now I just guess this is how the news reports it in the US.
 [/QUOTE]

I've noticed for a long time now on this site that those who tend to respond with this sort of response get there historical knowledge from comic books, unlike those of us in the USA who are tired of fighting Europe's wars for them, and actually read something with greater credibility.
[/QUOTE]

You very reluctantly entered WWI, and had to be forced into WWII. You didn't exactly rush to our help like Captain America.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 18:31
Originally posted by Paul

Define a single state

I agree, this is the key to answering the question.  A 'unitary' state is probably unlikely.  But it's not too big a leap from what is evolving today to see the development of some sort of 'Confederation' with strong 'provincial' rights / powers (pardon the use of 'Canadian'  terminology).
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 18:39
I can see a Federal State identical to the US developing (Though in this case, 'States Rights' will be more than just a general bigots answer to allowing discrimination...)
Trump View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Trump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2008 at 03:33
i am not sure it will work because southern europe is so different from northern europe. southern europe is more similar to middle east.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2008 at 12:47

I don't think its a north v south divide, more of a language v language divide.

Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2008 at 16:32
I agree that some form of Confederation (for want of a better word) is needed. What is totally impracticable would be a super monolithic unitary state. Unfortunately that is what the EU Commission is hell-bent on wanting to create
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2008 at 22:02
I think that Europe may become a single unified state, because most of European countries now used the same currency, Euro. Also, the cultures of each European countries were quite similar to each other, the characters of the European people, architects, ... But, I think it would be good if Europe become a single unified state. :)
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 10:25
Depends how and under what terms
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2008 at 23:37
It will eventually. The only problem is that it needs to be a truly democratic federation, not the cabal of paternalistic Brussels bureaucrats and Neo-Liberal ideologues it is now. That is the EU's big problem now, and why the latest 2 attempts at a new EU constitution have failed. As long as the EU is seen as...

1. being run by paternalistic bureaucrats and/or Neo-Liberal ideologues

2. being dominated by France and Germany

...any hope for further integration is doomed. The Right will rail against the Brussels bureaucrats while The Left will accuse Brussels of being in the hands of Neo-Liberal whores of American business interests.
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 00:15
To me there would be too many ethnic and cultural differences, maybe if they were seperated into regions like Western Europe, Northern Europe, Southern Europe, the Balkans and Eastern Europe.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 11:46
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

To me there would be too many ethnic and cultural differences, maybe if they were seperated into regions like Western Europe, Northern Europe, Southern Europe, the Balkans and Eastern Europe.

If we put aside political matters, I don't think cultural and ethnic differences are going to be such a problem in the future. The EU has chosen a motto "United in diversity" and is currently brainwashing ( although in a somewhat positive way in my opinion ) young people and even children to not only have a sense of belonging to their own country but to the whole EU. They are setting up seminars and clubs in schools on which they discuss EU as a whole, not a formation of different countries. The idea is to present a person from a foreign country as your absolute equal, who just happened to grow up using a different language and is used to his/her own traditions, which are interesting to learn about and in no way threatening your own.

It's a very optimistic idea, but who knows, it might actually work.
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 12:47
The official language of this state will be Hebrew. LOL

Edited by Władysław Warnencz - 07-Aug-2008 at 12:48
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 22:36
Originally posted by Władysław Warnencz

The official language of this state will be Hebrew. LOL

Shalom.Cheers

Actually, the official language should probably be Scottish.LOL

It'd be fun.

I think the European powers are either going to eventually be a single state, or are going to redefine the term "single state" and surprise us all.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 01:06
Latin would be a nice compromise. Basically all European languages can trace the roots of at least a few words to Latin.

Honestly the cultural divide isn't that great at all. Kielbasa and bratwurst are more alike than they are different. Also no borders between EU nations brings the whole 'imaginary lines in the sand' idea to a whole new level. Nationalists and aye sayers are only weakening Europe's great to maintain its global position in an increasingly Asian-centric world.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 11:54
Since the first President is likely to be a Luxembourger and much of the bureaucracy is based here, Luxembourgish (Lëtzebuergesch) might be a dark horse.

Then everyone in the union bar about 400,000 people would have to learn it, which puts everyone on the same level playing field.
Murat View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Murat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 17:34
Unite Belgium first..!Wink
Why should I seek? I am the same as
He. His essence speaks through me.
I have been looking for myself!----Rumi
Murat View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Murat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 17:36
Then defragment the Yugoslavia.Confused
Why should I seek? I am the same as
He. His essence speaks through me.
I have been looking for myself!----Rumi
Ioan-Assen II View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ioan-Assen II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 17:56
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

Its not like Missisipy and New York have alot in common, actually they are worlds apart...and still are in one state. I think EU is more consistent culturally, politically AND economically unside its borders than USA. The only obsticle is the language.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 18:26
If Europe is going to become a single state, should there be a common second language for the state to use? And what should it be?

Perhaps, do I see the revival of Latin?

Nah, most probably English. I couldnt imagine sending middle aged men back to school so they could learn it. But then again....

Edited by Theodore Felix - 09-Aug-2008 at 18:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>