Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

possible for Europe to become a single state?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guess View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Guess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: possible for Europe to become a single state?
    Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 03:29
Is it possible for the European Union to become a single state?

How different are the political cultures in Europe now?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 11:22
Possible but highly unlikely.

It's not so much internal political structures, but different outlooks on the rest of the world, which is why the major sticking points are on defence and foreign policy.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 13:30
Define a single state.

One nationality, one economy, free movement of goods and people, one constitution, one human rights legislative, a common social policy and an all powerful parliament.

Euerope has a common foriegn polcy in most areas, this naturally follows having a single economy. Interests coincide. As Europe increasingly is becoming the world's only economy, a tighter union of foriegn policy can only naturally follow.

Defencewise Europe has a common policy, it's called NATO. But in the long term, a common defence policy only follows a common foriegn one, so will be some time off. Also spiralling costs has seens a lot of cooperation between Britain and France of late.

I would say closer to a single state than seperate ones at the moment.

Edited by Paul - 04-Apr-2008 at 13:38
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 15:09
Some European countries aren't in Nato. Such as Ireland.

I think its very likely in the distant future that Europe will become one state. Old nationalism is dying, but it is hanging out still in some corners, such as parts of France and Belgium has always had internal problems. In most things Europe is identical. Our economies are all interlinked. The EU itself creates reams of undemocratic directives and legislation that most of the time seems absolutely pointless and usually serves no purpose other than to annoy the hell out of us.

If Europe is serious about becoming one state, it needs to do three things:

1) Get rid of the democratic deficit in the EU; give the elected parliament more powers rather than just the token advisory role it has now.

2) Agree on a common defense policy and budget. Iraq really displayed the differences between Europes politicians. Have it so that a majority of European nations needs to agree on war. If the minority still decides to go to war they should be kicked out. (If this had of been the case in 2003, Spain, Holland, Poland and Italy would have decided against going to Iraq, Britain probably would have left altogether)

3) Do more on closing the language barriers. As long as most Europeans speak different languages it will make it impossible to form any sort of identity which a state needs to survive. The average Irishman and Italianman may have stuff in common but we'll never know unless the opposite speak the said language.

Edited by Parnell - 04-Apr-2008 at 15:10
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 15:12
I agree.

Though, if you are speaking of an unitary state, then I don't think it's very likely.
DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 18:54
Technically- yes.
Practically- no.
Too many ethnic and cultural differences for it to ever succeed.  That doesn't mean they (EU) won't try some day, I just doubt it would last very long.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 19:13
Originally posted by DesertHistorian

Too many ethnic and cultural differences for it to ever succeed. 

I've noticed this over the years of discussing the EU on this forum. An American always comes out with this argument. I used to wonder why, are they projecting their own country demographics onto Europe? But now I just guess this is how the news reports it in the US.

longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 19:32
I hope so, to see it would be something.
The one thing missing is a president, in the putin, bush style of things.
I think greater efforts on language are needed too, ie making esperanto mandatory in schools or something else, klingon even.
Getting everyone sighned up to the euro is a big stumbling block.
The Eurpean Union has the capacity to become the worlds foremost superpower but im of the opinion it will probably go to mush.
Things are taking too long, and theres no consolidation before expansion, everybody is on different pages.
Id like to live to see it but i think there more chance of prince charles winning mr universe
long live the king of bhutan
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 19:32
Most likely indeed.

However, if there was an actual threat to the sovereignity of every European state, then it might force them to unite.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 19:36
come to think of it the whole of europe speaking klingon is a goal worth persueing
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 19:39
If Europe is going to become a single state, should there be a common second language for the state to use? And what should it be?
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 19:47
Id vote for american or australian
DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 20:19
 [/QUOTE]
 I've noticed this over the years of discussing the EU on this forum. An American always comes out with this argument. I used to wonder why, are they projecting their own country demographics onto Europe? But now I just guess this is how the news reports it in the US.
 [/QUOTE]

I've noticed for a long time now on this site that those who tend to respond with this sort of response get there historical knowledge from comic books, unlike those of us in the USA who are tired of fighting Europe's wars for them, and actually read something with greater credibility.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 21:28
oow Meow!

Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 22:05
well if they could be a bit more prompt for the next one, well that would be just peachy
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 22:12
Arrived early for everyone since.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 22:38
good show, ive booked seats for north korea 2012, should be quite a fireworks display.

which reminds me, wouldnt the usa consider a fully united eu military to be a threat, all be it a friendly threat.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 11:04
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

If Europe is going to become a single state, should there be a common second language for the state to use? And what should it be?

I'd vote for english

A single state?, possible, but it will take long time. I see it more like a confederation of states
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 11:28
Originally posted by longshanks31

I hope so, to see it would be something.
The one thing missing is a president, in the putin, bush style of things.
The one thing missing is a King - or Queen, I'm gender neutral on that. Or something like the rotating Kingship of Malaysia. The fact that you will never get one is why there will never be a united European state.

In general it seems to me that people are rather hidebound by traditional ideas of what a 'state' is or ought to be. What is developing in Europe may well be something we currently have no name for.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 12:10
Originally posted by gcle2003

What is developing in Europe may well be something we currently have no name for.

A Corporation.

Edited by Paul - 05-Apr-2008 at 12:11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>