Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boycott of Olympic Games in Beijing ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boycott of Olympic Games in Beijing ?
    Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 12:52
The director of the Swiss National Olympic Committee anounced yesterday: "We decide to boycott the Olympic games this year in Beijing, cause obviously the chinese authorities didn't change their minds in questions of human rights, as it's shown in Tibel currently."

Is a boycott of great sport events an adequat sanction to enforce politcal standards?

What impact did have  the boycotts of the Olympic games in 1980 or 1984 ?

Could the athlets use another way of making  their positions clear?

If the UN isn't able to get influence around the worl, how could the IOC ?

Let us know your opinion?

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 12:57
Originally posted by ulrich

1980: the Soviets won a crapload more medals than they would ordinarilly have won. 1984: the Americans won a crapload more medals than they ordinarilly would have won.
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 13:19
Originally posted by Constantine XI

1980: the Soviets won a crapload more medals than they would ordinarilly have won. 1984: the Americans won a crapload more medals than they ordinarilly would have won.

So you mean the boycott is the only way for Australia to win a crapload more medals then they ordinary would do?

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 13:46
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

So you mean the boycott is the only way for Australia to win a crapload more medals then they ordinary would do?

Oh come on now, like we don't already kick ass in the Olympics enough!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 14:23

Swiss will not be missed.

cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 14:28

What impact did have the boycotts of the Olympic games in 1980 or 1984 ?

1980: the Soviets won a crapload more medals than they would
ordinarilly have won. 1984: the Americans won a crapload more medals
than they ordinarilly would have won.

Unfortunately these medals are worth crap. You forget legitimacy factor. A medal by itself is not as important as the fact an athlete wins against best in the world. An asterisk in front of a medal spoils some of that.
If context in which you get the medal was not important, each country would produce their own olimpics, restricted to their own citizens.
The World should look at the behavior of China in Tybet and then decide.
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 14:59
Originally posted by Sparten

Same effect like Pakistan would boycott the Olympic Wintergames.

Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 16:12
so i won't swim in your pool unless you free tibet???????
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 19:02
I'm strongly opposed to this action, policy shouldn't be mixed with sport and the disgraceful precedents prove it.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 19:26
what if the Olympics 1938 in Munich have been boycotted?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 19:33
I will boycott the olympics myself: 1) I won't participate to the 100m sprint and 2) I won't watch the greco-roman wrestling quarter final.

Ah ah beware Mao Z!!!
I am a free donkey!
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 20:33
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Originally posted by Sparten

Same effect like Pakistan would boycott the Olympic Wintergames.

Or summer games.Tongue 

Politics aside,  i think it is perfectly reasonable to bycott the games.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 21:21
Originally posted by Temujin

what if the Olympics 1938 in Munich have been boycotted?

We could lose the chance to see Jesse Owens crushing his rivals Star

Edited by Ikki - 16-Mar-2008 at 21:22
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 22:28
1938, Munich? You mean 1936 Berlin, do you? The Olympic games in Munich were in 1972.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 22:39
Originally posted by Ikki

I'm strongly opposed to this action, policy shouldn't be mixed with sport and the disgraceful precedents prove it.

Awarding the Olympic Games to a country is by definition a political act.
China is using the Olympics as a massive public relations event. You can't blame them for that, every country would do that, and it is their legitimate right to do so, but it is just as legitimate to use the Olympics to call on China to improve its human rights record.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 12:10
Seems that any country who wants to make a statement in the political arena tends to be given extra weight prior to the Olympics. Reasons like facing down your rivals (Carter against the Soviets in Afghanistan, Ruskies counter back by blowing off the L.A. games) or little countries barking at the big bad policies of a host nation. Where was the IOC (based in Switzerland) when they voted China to host the Olypmics in the first place?

I say let each country decide to send in atheletes or not. One upsetting thing though. NO matter what the outcry China will do what it feels in the interest of her national security and political agenda. Unfortunately it is the athelete who will suffer when their politicians get all nervous at the last minute and snub their careers by not allowing them to participate. Should have told them that before all those early morning workouts, afternoon tryouts; hopes and aspirations.

Edited by Seko - 17-Mar-2008 at 12:11
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 12:38
They should permanently give the summer games to the Greeks. Problem solved.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 19:41
Originally posted by beorna

1938, Munich? You mean 1936 Berlin, do you? The Olympic games in Munich were in 1972.

oh yeah, my fault... Embarrassed
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 20:43
I support such a boycott because of Tibet and frankly their is an evil tyrant in my opinion, the people are great.

They persecute anyone of faith; Christians, Muslims, Budhist etc. or any one with a different political view that opposes Communism. "The China Threat" by Bill Gertz is a good read.

Christian concerns usually has an article about what the Chinese government is doing to Christians.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 21:13
I think the boycotts are a good way to highlight human rights abuses in China. It will seriously damage their international prestige if there are large-scale boycotts. Ergo, they will hopefully rectify some of those situations in order to restore international faith in China's humanitarian policies.
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>