Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Book returned a century late

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book returned a century late
    Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 00:52
I would really hate to have to pay the fine on this overdue book.

------------------------------------------------------

Library book returned more than a century late

Wednesday Mar 12 07:00 AEDT

A Finnish library-goer apparently thought 'better late than never' and quietly returned a book on loan for more than 100 years to a library in Vantaa, in southern Finland.

The library had long since lost track of the loan but welcomed back to its collections the bound copy of a 1902 volume of Vartija, an active religious monthly periodical at the time.

"We are unclear when exactly it was borrowed and who returned it. There weren't any documents with it," librarian Minna Saastamoinen told Reuters.

"There is an old note attached to the book which says there is a fine of 10 pennies a week for late returns," she added.

The library sticker inside the cover, and the old-fashioned handwriting on it, showed the book was last officially loaned out at the beginning of the last century, she said.

Finland is known for a comprehensive library network with more than 900 libraries for its 5.3 million inhabitants. In 2006, each Finn on average visited a library 11 times and borrowed nearly 20 books.

The periodical was borrowed such a long time ago that the Korso branch of the Vantaa library, where the tome was finally handed in, did not even exist when the book was borrowed.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=390364

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 18:32
Finns can always surprise me.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 00:20
Not such an interesting sounding 'book.' Wonder why they wanted to keep it so long?
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 00:34
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

Not such an interesting sounding 'book.' Wonder why they wanted to keep it so long?

Probably just a slow reader.
 Post Reply Post Reply